Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,645 members, 7,941,505 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 08:28 AM

Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape (942 Views)

Why You Should Not Marry These Women: Nurses, Police Women, Lawyers, TV Anchors / Divorce Lawyers In D House, Pls I Need Some Advice / Wife Loses Pregnancy Of Two Months After Rape By Pastor-husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape by AloyEmeka6: 5:14pm On Sep 01, 2009
Women lawyers, others move against rape
From Gordi Udeajah, Umuahia

THE International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA) and an Igbo women group, 'Umuada Igbo Nigeria and in the Diaspora' at the weekend vowed to deal with anybody that commits rape by ensuring that such a person is prosecuted.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/aug/31/9.html

They consequently urged all victims of rape to report their cases at their various offices in the seven Igbo speaking states and FIDA offices without delay and fear.

Already, the Abia State branch of FIDA has commenced what it called a legal clinic in Umuahia where it educates women on their reproductive and other related rights which they pointed out would further save women from sexual and other abuses.

FIDA beckoned on women whose sexual rights were abused to avail themselves of the service which is rendered free.

Renewing the policy while addressing women of Eziama Ubakala in Umuahia South Council Area of Abia State during their 2009 meeting at the weekend, the Founding National President/Cor-ordinator of Umuada Igbo Nigeria, Lolo Dr. Kate called on governments to enforce the war against abuse of women's health and reproductive rights.

She added that her group was in Eziama in company of some FIDA members and representatives of Ipas, an international organisation that engages in sensitisation on family planning and women health and reproductive rights.

Ipas was represented by Saraphina Ojinmaduka who read its goodwill message to the women as well as presented a N20,000 donation at the meeting that also featured a talk on women's right by Mrs. Oby Okoye said to be a member of FIDA. Okoye charged the women not to shy away from claiming their rights especially those of health and reproduction.

In the execution of Ipas project, the group collaborates with FIDA and Umuada Igbo whose programme in Abia State is co-ordinated by Mrs. Stella Nwaohanmuo.

In another talk, Prof. Brain Adinmma, a gynaecologist at the Nnamdi Azikwe University Awka, called on all governments nationwide to institutionalise free antenatal care and enforce family planning, saying that these would check high maternal mortality.

But he urged women to embrace immunisation, space child bearing and consult the right medical personnel on all their pregnancy-related problems, adding that under certain circumstances, a pregnancy ought to be aborted for the survival of the mother.
Re: Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape by Fhemmmy: 5:19pm On Sep 01, 2009
Before they talking against rape and deceiving the women, i think they need to educate the women and their partners and even the public what the meaning of rape is.
Cos most men in Nigeria has no idea what rape means, some people thinks rape dont happen btw man and his wife, and that is a lie, most women in Nigeria, or shd i say most wife, are raped on nightly basis, so educated mind is more than important.
However, good way to protect the women sha
Re: Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape by Nobody: 6:00pm On Sep 01, 2009
About time. cool
Re: Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape by Sissy3(f): 8:32pm On Sep 01, 2009
Femi you're definitely right. Most men and women tend to think that rape happens only when a stranger grabs them not knowing their own husbands and boyfriends can also rape them. Rape also happens within the family circle and those you know and knows you. Also I hope they tell them those who are raped that it is never their fault.

I hope they successed. it's way past time.
Re: Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape by Fhemmmy: 8:48pm On Sep 01, 2009
~Sissy~:

Femi you're definitely right. Most men and women tend to think that rape happens only when a stranger grabs them not knowing their own husbands and boyfriends can also rape them. Rape also happens within the family circle and those you know and knows you. Also I hope they tell them those who are raped that it is never their fault.

I hope they successed. it's way past time.

that is very true, and i hope that they really make it work and give the women some voice for once
Re: Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape by AloyEmeka6: 10:11pm On Sep 01, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Before they talking against rape and deceiving the women, i think they need to educate the women and their partners and even the public what the meaning of rape is.
Cos most men in Nigeria has no idea what rape means, some people thinks rape dont happen btw man and his wife, and that is a lie, most women in Nigeria, or shd i say most wife, are raped on nightly basis, so educated mind is more than important.
However, good way to protect the women sha
You are so right.
Re: Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 02, 2009
We live in a sick country where people excuse the act of rape; "she got what she desreved dressed like that", Why would she go to his house if she didnt want it"?
Yesterday i was sick to my stomach listening on radio to a woman raped by her brother in law and pregnant as a result contemplating marrying him because she did not want to raise a child alone. Why do we alow women be treated like animals and excuse inhuman acts carried out by men
Re: Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape by Fhemmmy: 3:22pm On Sep 02, 2009
Let all women go and learn Karate
Re: Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape by AloyEmeka6: 4:11pm On Sep 02, 2009
How will they guard themselves against men with guns and knives?
Re: Women Lawyers, Others Move Against Rape by Fhemmmy: 6:36pm On Sep 02, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

How will they guard themselves against men with guns and knives?

Let every man buy dem wives guns and knifes too.
And Karate against the husband that wanna rape the wife

(1) (Reply)

Where Do U Put Ur 1yr Old Child / Hate In A Mother / My Husband Is Not The Biological Father Of My Children, Wife Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.