Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,699 members, 7,889,232 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 06:13 AM

10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies (27404 Views)

NOUN Lists Requirements For Postgraduate Students / 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies / 10 Reasons Why You Should NEVER Go For Postgraduate Studies - EDUREGARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by adewumiopeyemi(m): 4:08pm On Jun 22, 2016
am a graduate of acounting.. i did my post graduate in enterpreneur in unilag and am curently working in an online retail i can bost of 100k as my salary everymonth.. wen people that only have bsc are collecting times 2 of this moneyThousands of post graduates people still jobless...the few ones that swallowed thier prides opt to teach in private school and earning 30k...certificates doesn't lead to riches any more please. It only takes the grace of God to succeed. MAY GOD BLESS OUR HUSTLE.... guys... sad sad sad sad

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by Chizip(m): 4:33pm On Jun 22, 2016
EduRegard:
Alright, this is actually a no brainer as almost all reputable Nigerian Universities have their postgraduate studies in various academic fields. The admission process and requirements varies from institution to institution and can not be generally prescribed.

Meanwhile, as a Microbiology enthusiast, you might want to see : List Of All Microbiology Postgraduate Courses In Nigerian Universities.

Also, to counter financial constraints, there are various scholarships for Postgraduate students, Here is a LISTS OF SCHOLARSHIPS FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS IN NIGERIA. And here are some Latest Postgraduate Scholarships.

Concerning Universities, Here are some 5 TOP BEST NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDIES.

This is the best supply within reach at the moment of writing this, hope it helps.
10 REASONS YOU SHOULD NEVER GO FOR A POST GRADUATE STUDIESThis is counter to a previous post on10 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD GO FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDIES.It is very saddening to see some people still considering going for apostgraduate studyas a merit at thispresent unsteady economy situation. Apart from those inprofessional fields like law, I can't see what you stand to gain in wasting two years in a postgraduate school. So as to make my points interesting, I hereby make ten undisputed reasons you shouldNEVERgo for a post graduate study.1. Your age might exceed the working age.One of the reasons why you should not consider going for a post graduate degree is age. Here in Nigeria, the maximum age for joining the military is 27 years. Not onlythat, most employers do see age as one of the optimum forgiving out jobs. Since we can't compare the strength of a man of 25 years to that of 40 years, it is glaring that those of younger ages are more considered during job requirements.Your Help Is Needed - Kindly Vote Prepa App for "Best Project 2016" In Youth CitizenEntrepreneurship Competition.2. The types of available jobs.I once heard about a young graduate seeking employment for the post of a political analyst in a well known radio station. He had bothHND degreein Mass Communication and B.SC in Political Science. So as to increase hischances of employment, he put down the two certificates in his curriculum vitae. To his utmost surprise, his employer told him his qualifications outrank the available jobs but if he wouldn't mind, he could remove the B.sc degree from his qualifications and make use of the HND certificate. Looking well into this scenario, I wonder what a master degree holder would have done.3. It delays marriage.It is no longer news when adults advise young men and women on the importance of early marriage. The era whereby a man of 60 years still have two children insecondary schoolhas gone. You going to post graduate school will only delay you from getting married at a young age.Also Read :16 Funny Pictures Only Graduates And Job Seekers Can Relate To4. It takes a very long time.Firstly, the minimum number of years anyone can use as anundergraduate in Nigeriais four years. After this is another compulsoryone year for service. Adding another two years to this will only worsen the matter. Spending over seven years in theuniversity campusis just a waste of your hay time.5. There is no longer respect for Degrees.The days whengraduates of universityare seen as Lords are gone. Instead, they are rather consider as fools. You going far for master degree is just like the lord of the fools. You might want to know why people look down on these gentlemen, it is because they know there is no awaiting jobfor them. Majority will need to set up a petty business while some will have no option but tolearnapprentice so as to make ends meet. In short,degree education is overrated.6. It is not always easy.Above average of undergraduates mostly find it difficult to graduate with a good grade. Majority made good their escape out of theundergraduate school. Imagine how hard this is, you thinking of going for a post graduate studies is just like someone who jump from frying pan to fire.7. The cost of financing.For every average Nigerian, sponsoring their children's education to university level forces them to live a miserable life. The song that they will pay it back one day even sour their hearts. It will be very unfortunate if after this long hardship, you still believe these innocent parents can still live more of their lives in agony just because you are after a Master degree.8. It discourage creativity.There are some things deposited in you that you can't find in school. People call it talents but I call it virtuous. If you can do yourself the good of putting them into use, they are more than capable of buying you a future. Spending another series of your years in post graduateschool will kill these great potentials.Also Read :Top 100+ Places to Get a Free Business Education Online9. Your undergraduate degree is enough tomake you a genuine.Which field are you thinking of establishing on? What is wrong with the knowledge you have obtained doing your undergraduate? Have you made good use of them first? Probably you don't know, what you were taught during your undergraduate days is enough to make you a genius.10. How you use your young age is important.Considering that you are still young, this is the time to try,fail, and try again, to explore your options and discover work that you enjoy. Some of that energy would certainly serve you well in the energy-draining atmosphere ofgraduate school, but is that where you want to spend it? You really are only young once.Do you really want to start down the graduate school track from which it can be so hard to remove yourself? It is quite advisable for you not to play luck on important things like this. Use your good time for something better.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by Taryur3(m): 4:52pm On Jun 22, 2016
hustla:

In Nigeria that is..
Africa generally self
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by micxwell(m): 6:22pm On Jun 22, 2016
Taryur3:
Thousands of post graduates people still jobless...the few ones that swallowed thier prides opt to teach in private school and earning 30k...certificates doesn't lead to riches any more please. It only takes the grace of God to succeed.
You are absolutely right. Doing mine for "knowledge".

1 Like

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by gungab(m): 6:26pm On Jun 22, 2016
adewumiopeyemi:
am a graduate of acounting.. i did my post graduate in enterpreneur in unilag and am curently working in an online retail i can bost of 100k as my salary everymonth.. wen people that only have bsc are collecting times 2 of this moneyThousands of post graduates people still jobless...the few ones that swallowed thier prides opt to teach in private school and earning 30k...certificates doesn't lead to riches any more please. It only takes the grace of God to succeed. MAY GOD BLESS OUR HUSTLE.... guys... sad sad sad sad

Please can Hnd holder in biz admin go for pgd? what's the least duration for pgd in Nigeria private or public? Can it be combined with masters or is it after I finish pgd? what's The cost range? please if possible suggest good university I can adopt thank
please state The requirements thanks once more
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by Mekzmoney(m): 6:55pm On Jun 22, 2016
Op go and sit down. cheesy

Go for one or two certifications and u will get d job of ur dream with a gud pay, then u can proceed with ur PGD or Msc, either full time or pat time jooh.....

Try dis and u will always smile with ur family. grin
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by micxwell(m): 8:23pm On Jun 22, 2016
pinkpearl17:

Lol. Everyone has something to say just yo downgrade Education. Granted, people make money without acquiring masters but there are still people who make money because of how educated they are. The value of education is inestimable. When God' decides to bless you, he blesses the works of your hand.
Exactly cool
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by Iykelawrence: 8:36pm On Jun 22, 2016
Pls, why are u guys so much antagonising the OP,... I think that the aim of this post is to encourage some graduates who still have the burning desire to up their academic careers. Not that pg is a surebet for better life bt to give more reasons pple who are enthusiastic about it to pursue their academic dreams. If u guys are so against pg like this then who go become our senior lecturers and professors tomorrow and hw can one attain such height without passing through pg. So, if u don't have interest @ all, just save ur peace and improve on Ur skills outside the academia and let those who wanna upgrade themselves through education do, after all we all are marching to one destination, which is success.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by micxwell(m): 8:42pm On Jun 22, 2016
Mekzmoney:
Op go and sit down. cheesy

Go for one or two certifications and u will get d job of ur dream with a gud pay, then u can proceed with ur PGD or Msc, either full time or pat time jooh.....

Try dis and u will always smile with ur family. grin
Bro there was this guy i met. The guy is currently doing his Phd. U talked about certification hmm. Well this my friend finished from FUTO ''electrical electronics engineering''(second class upper), M.Sc from Conventry University, MBA. Now for certifications HSE, NEBOSH, SAP(And he's very versertile in all).... Yet no job....
My own believe bro.... 'RUN ALL YOU WANT, GATHER THE CERTIFICATIONS AND DEGREES, MASTER ALL APTITUDE TEST AND INTERVIEW TECHNIQUES' IF GOD DOES NOT BLESS YOU, YOU WILL STILL HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT.
EVERYTHING ALL POINTS TO 'GOD'S GRACE AND MERCY' LETS ALWAYS HAVE THAT AT THE BACK OF OUR MINDS.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by Yinkuzt: 10:54pm On Jun 22, 2016
For University of Ibadan Postgraduate degree information.
Kindly join the Postgraduate colloquium on whatsapp 08060214398. A platform for raw info, guidance , and academic advice. Over 50 students( BOTH SATELITE & FRESHERS ) humbly awaits you.

Postgraduate collpquium
Admin
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by YOLO1(m): 11:01pm On Jun 22, 2016
EduRegard:
Alright, this is actually a no brainer as almost all reputable Nigerian Universities have their postgraduate studies in various academic fields. The admission process and requirements varies from institution to institution and can not be generally prescribed.

Meanwhile, as a Microbiology enthusiast, you might want to see : List Of All Microbiology Postgraduate Courses In Nigerian Universities.

Also, to counter financial constraints, there are various scholarships for Postgraduate students, Here is a LISTS OF SCHOLARSHIPS FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS IN NIGERIA. And here are some Latest Postgraduate Scholarships.

Concerning Universities, Here are some 5 TOP BEST NIGERIAN UNIVERSITIES FOR POSTGRADUATE STUDIES.

This is the best supply within reach at the moment of writing this, hope it helps.
Please tell us the processes of going for post graduate program abroad. Am specifically interested in abroad schools that give scholarships
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by Mekzmoney(m): 11:12pm On Jun 22, 2016
All we need is Grace tho but its nt just grace alone and its nt abt being intelligent. U can be very intelligent and hav 1st class and yet, ur not smart and outspoken. Does he flow or relate with people around him? Is he friendly? So if Dat guy has all dis u mentioned then he has many issues. Maybe spiritual or physical issues, or he's neglecting jobs (he doesn't wanna start small cos he feels he has first class n all d qualifications) or his village oracle d follow him grin.

When i said certifications, i wasnt talking abt nebosh or hse. i mean real certifications. Especially those dat studied engineering.
micxwell:

Bro there was this guy i met. The guy is currently doing his Phd. U talked about certification hmm. Well this my friend finished from FUTO ''electrical electronics engineering''(second class upper), M.Sc from Conventry University, MBA. Now for certifications HSE, NEBOSH, SAP(And he's very versertile in all).... Yet no job....
My own believe bro.... 'RUN ALL YOU WANT, GATHER THE CERTIFICATIONS AND DEGREES, MASTER ALL APTITUDE TEST AND INTERVIEW TECHNIQUES' IF GOD DOES NOT BLESS YOU, YOU WILL STILL HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR IT.
EVERYTHING ALL POINTS TO 'GOD'S GRACE AND MERCY' LETS ALWAYS HAVE THAT AT THE BACK OF OUR MINDS.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by kingsleyugo41(m): 8:35am On Jun 23, 2016
EduRegard:
Actually many might see postgraduate studies as a waste of time but really, there are many benefits in going for one and below we shall help you see ten reasons:

1. For academic recognition.
The number one reason for postgraduate studies is to help one achieve greatness in academic field. It speaks volume of ones academic standard and there are some positions that warrant this.

2. Working with the best.
With a postgraduate program, you move with the best and you are as well seen as one.

3. For reasonable financial prospect.
Postgraduate program helps to increase one financial prospect, it differentiate you from others. Although, this might not be compulsory but it is necessary because it gives you additional money (extra) which others may find difficult to have.

4. It broadens your knowledge
When you run postgraduate studies, it gives you opportunity to conduct personal research(es) in order to develop your thoughts, ideas and skills.

5. It makes you MAD
I'm sure some of us will be surprised why I used the word MAD, yes, postgraduate studies makes you mad. (M means make, A means a and D means different). In other words, postgraduate studies help you to make a difference in the society.

6. It is an investment for tomorrow.
Postgraduate studies helps to jump straight into one desired career even when labour market looks choked. You will develop the CEO mentality.

7. To Build Strong Connectiions
With a postgraduate studies, the chain to attain greatness in life is always strong and secure special space for you at the top as ypu are bound to meet better people through the journey.

8. For professional development.
It helps you develop yourself beyond expectations and guide your profession.

9. Postgraduate studies tell people what you have that others don't.
Many people have degree but surely your postgraduate studies will single-handedly pick you out of mess when others are yet to know the right way, you are there already.

10. It reveals who you are.
Postgraduate studies tells people you full story, who you are, what you are capable of doing and finally makes you a leader.

SOURCE : http://eduregard.com/10-reasons-go-postgraduate-studies/
what of PDG?
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by Yinxies(f): 2:17pm On Jun 23, 2016
change49gerians:
you still having a miss on all points. Who PG epp? be the best in what you do. name lists of successful Nigerians and tell me who PG helped. you have the mind of a poor child in Africa. who told you PG makes one the best? Many professionals you see around already set a high standard before going for their PG's. Your best is in you. Many of those people you think are different from you are only paper different. They do not have what you have. My people, if you cannot afford a PG you can afford another PG(Personal Goal). Do not ever feel low because someone has a PG and you dont. In the field you may be more advantageous to you company and you may earn higher depending on how you prove yourself worthy. Back in days a n ex-colleague had 2 masters, but I was more efficient and knowledgeable in problem solving. that gave me a recognition. It takes you to succeed not your PG.
My message here is feel confident, feel you are the best and always push yourself to the top.

Well, I think what the OP is trying to say here is to upgrade your CV with a Post Graduate Qualification. You may be very good at what you do but some Employers would want to see a documentation of how you have grown professionally over the years to consider you for a promotion. If you are very efficient as you claimed, with a PG, you will stand a better chance at any opportunity available in your workplace. You may think you are efficient but what about others who are more efficient than you are? Your edge over them would be the Post Graduate Qualification. And yes, your PG boosts your confidence too!

BTW, click on this link to upgrade your data analysis skills https://docsend.com/view/4a6q5ke
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by zubinike(m): 3:52pm On Jun 23, 2016
asitis752:
u are also telling me abt a school I graduated from? U hav no idea of wot u are talking abt. So because he had first class, he wont do masters but go directly to do phd? U are a joke

Nah school you truly go. Am truly a JOKE!!!.... How many years u use bro?
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by zubinike(m): 3:57pm On Jun 23, 2016
[quote author=pinkpearl17 post=46815773]
Lol. Everyone has something to say just yo downgrade Education. Granted, people make money without acquiring masters but there are still people who make money because of how educated they are. The value of education is inestimable. When God' decides to bless you, he blesses the works of your hand

Education! Education! Education!
Abeg madam tell them it takes God's grace, Favor, and most of all.....he has assured us that he will bless the work of our Hands. They should not be idle and expect the miracle, if it worked for Peter, it may not work for Paul....Gracias
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by micxwell(m): 7:15pm On Jun 23, 2016
Mekzmoney:
All we need is Grace tho but its nt just grace alone and its nt abt being intelligent. U can be very intelligent and hav 1st class and yet, ur not smart and outspoken. Does he flow or relate with people around him? Is he friendly? So if Dat guy has all dis u mentioned then he has many issues. Maybe spiritual or physical issues, or he's neglecting jobs (he doesn't wanna start small cos he feels he has first class n all d qualifications) or his village oracle d follow him grin.

When i said certifications, i wasnt talking abt nebosh or hse. i mean real certifications. Especially those dat studied engineering.

Certifications like?
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by ahahnow: 7:56am On Jul 03, 2016
is anybody studying for gmat?
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by Ugosample(m): 4:00pm On Dec 25, 2016
asitis752:
My younger cousin had first class in ui, went back for his masters and had distinction again but teaching in a private school in Lagos

So what is your point?
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 25, 2016
I support ya
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by Chinks(m): 6:45pm On Dec 25, 2016
To be frank, this message is not for everyone as some people have stated here. I for instance, have this burning desire that I'll will study till PhD level and we also have some people here with such aspirations. Please, whenever any message doesn't go down well with us, we should always be diplomatic and objective when presenting our sentiments.
Re: 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies by micxwell(m): 2:36pm On Jan 29
Mekzmoney:

Someone liked my comment and I got to see your write up. What are the REAL Engineering certifications you're talking about ? Solely for learning purposes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate / UI, ABU, Others Support Suspension Of ASUU Strike / Mapoly Result Is Out:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.