Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,199 members, 7,880,740 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 05:12 AM

Why I Didn’t Retire Arase –buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Didn’t Retire Arase –buhari (426 Views)

Police Recover 19 Cars From Arase / Buhari Presents A Gift To Arase, Outgoing IG Of Police ( Photos) / Buhari Shops For Arase’s Replacement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why I Didn’t Retire Arase –buhari by Danmas: 9:50am On Jun 24, 2016
President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday opened up on why he retained immediate past Inspector- General of Police, Solomon Arase. Buhari, who spoke through his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina in Lagos said he retained Arase, not because of his strategy and tactics as a police, but, because of Arase’s intellect and capacity as an operation person. The president spoke during the public presentaton of Cascade of Change…, a book written by Lagos State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Steve Ayorinde. Adesina, who spoke about the reaction of the immedite past IGP to a farewell dinner the president held in his honour, said Arase had expected to be sacked before the end of his tenure. “Arase told the president it was very strange for him to have been invited for a farewell dinner, because, what we know in Nigeria, is that, you are sacked on the pages of newspapers.” According to Adesina, Arase also had the fear that, since, he was inherited by Buhari’s administration, he was not sure of being retained; so, everyday, he had the trepediation he would hear he had been removed. But, quoting President Buhari on why he retained Arase till the end of his tenure, Adesina said: “When it was the turn of the president to speak, he explained why he kept Arase as IGP. “He said he saw the quality of his mind and he saw the quality of things, he had written. You know Arase has many publications to his credit and he also saw his capacity as an operations person and he decided to keep him till his tenure expired.” The president’s aide told the gathering that Buhari appreciates sound mind and intellect “and that shows the goodwill he has for Mr. Steve Ayorinde, the author of the book.” Adesina commended Ayorinde and urged Nigerians to emulate him and always contribute to knowledge. Meanwhile, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode has said his administration will take the state to the next level, and make it a globally competitive city-state. “In the last one year, we have laid the foundation to make Lagos a globally competitive city-state. In the coming years, we will build on this foundation to move Lagos to the next level, a level of first class infrastructure, services, economic growth and opportunities for all,” he said. Ambode, who noted that the state has the privilege of housing the largest collection of media houses in Nigeria, canvassed support of every journalist, editor, columnist and blogger in the development of the state. “Our government will always do its part and we call on the media to be our partner as we build a Lagos State where everybody has a voice, a chance and opportunities,” he said. The governor commended Ayorinde, saying the publication will enhance knowledge “as well as shed more light on issues of public discourse and enrich policy design and implementation process.” He appreciated Ayorinde’s contributions and participation as the arrowhead of the media and strategy team during his gubernatorial campaign. “He represents a generation of conscious journalists who have committed to working towards a better society. We are proud to have him in the Lagos State Executive and he has been involved in various stages in the implementation of our Change Agenda. “He has deployed his professional skills, competence and experience in promoting our socio-political reforms through a liberal and focused policy implementation strategy.” Chairman on the occasion and former governor of Ogun State, Aremo Olusegun Osoba said in the last one year, Ambode has silently embarked on massive transformation of the State. Osoba said he was happy that the administration has continued in the tradition of excellence that the state has always been known for. He alluded to the clearing of Falomo Roundabout in Ikoyi, the ongoing dualisation of Epe-Ijebu Road, among other infrastructural projects in the state. Professor Pat Utomi, in his speech, recalled the early days of Ambode in office and said he was initially miscontrued to lack the capacity to lead the state, “but, in no time, he proved critics wrong.” In her goodwill message, former managing director of Concord Newspapers, Dr. Doyin Abiola said she was proud that Lagos has always been a centre of excellence producing people of excellence. “I have never met the governor and I have never had any discussion with him but, from what he has been doing so far, it is clear that he was prepared for the job and he has been moving from step to step. I have always wondered how Lagos survived when the local government allocation of the state was withheld by the Federal Government. I could not understand it and it was said that governor Ambode successfully managed the account of the state at that time and, so, I want to commend them for the good works they are doing and urge them to continue,” she said. Media personalities, who attended the ceremony included Eric Osagie, Managing Director and Editor-in-Chief of The Sun Publishing Limited, Steve Nwosu, Deputy Managing Director and Executive Director, Bolaji Tunji. Others were the National President of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, Mr. Waheed Odusile, Managing Director of New Telegraph, Mrs. Funke Egbemode, Managing Director/Editor-in-Chief of Vanguard Media, Gbenga Adefaye, among other eminent Nigerians.

sunnewsonline.com/why-i-didnt-retire-arase-buhari/
Re: Why I Didn’t Retire Arase –buhari by votemysticgal16(f): 9:59am On Jun 24, 2016
Tafa Balogun sacked

Ehindero (no idea)

Onovo changed

Mike Okiro changed

Mohammed Abubakar retired

Suleiman Abba sacked

Solomon Arase retired

(1) (Reply)

Ogun Dep Gov Escapes Death As Militants Attack Convoy / EFCC Chair, Magu, Evades Questions On Buratai’s Dubai Houses / Light Situation In Benin Has Improved Ever Since Fashola Visited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.