Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,255 members, 7,880,967 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 10:07 AM

Is This Wrong? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is This Wrong? (659 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Wrong? by jaci02: 3:55pm On Jun 24, 2016
This photograph of a father holding his son in the shower has been shared tens of thousands of times on Facebook in the last fortnight. But over the same period it's also also been taken down by the social media platform more than once before ultimately being reinstated each time. Why?
In some ways the picture appears to show a fairly everyday scene. A dad cradling his severely sick child in his arms. Except in this instance, they are in the shower and both naked. The picture was posted on social media by the photographer Heather Whitten who lives in Arizona in the US. It shows her son Fox and her husband, the boy's father Thomas Whitten.
For many viewers the image is a touching portrait of parental care and affection. The reason that father and son were naked was because Fox had Salmonella poisoning for which he would soon after be hospitalised.
"Thomas had spent hours in the shower with him, trying to keep his fever down and letting the vomit and diarrhea rinse off of them both as it came," Whitten wrote in her post accompanying the photo.
"He was so patient and so loving and so strong with our tiny son in his lap... I stepped out and grabbed my camera and came back to snap a few images of it and, of course shared them."
But for some people the image is inappropriate at best and at worst has undertones of paedophilia. Whitten has been surprised by this reaction and was shocked when people posted negative comments about what was for her a beautiful moment.
"There is nothing sexual or exploitative about this image," she wrote in the initial post. "I was taken aback by how many people missed the story or didn't even look past the nudity to find the story."

Re: Is This Wrong? by jaci02: 5:10pm On Jun 24, 2016
Nobody is saying anything.
Doesn't anyone have an opinion as to whether in support or against it?
Re: Is This Wrong? by StPete: 5:30pm On Jun 24, 2016
Everything in life has perspectives. What one sees from ome corner may differ from another corner. By default and without all the explanations accompanying the photo, objectively I think the photograph portrays paedophilia.
Re: Is This Wrong? by MRBrownJ: 6:06pm On Jun 24, 2016
nothing wrong here, even if that was his daughter.... until that child reaches a certain age, this is fully acceptable IMHO.
Re: Is This Wrong? by freecocoa(f): 6:20pm On Jun 24, 2016
I see absolutely nothing wrong here.
Re: Is This Wrong? by jaci02: 6:31pm On Jun 24, 2016
People are so subjective, society permits mothers to handle the children both male and female.

But when it comes to the fathers there's prejudice against them becoming too physically attached to the kids.

So fathers are not allowed to display parental love and care according to some people in society today.

Fathers out there and would-be fathers will you allow society dictate to you how to cater for your children as regards physical connection and affection?
Re: Is This Wrong? by misreal(m): 7:07pm On Jun 24, 2016
Nonsense.nothing wrong with the pix.if you think something is wrong with the pix,then a woman shouldnt bath her male child..mtchww.
Re: Is This Wrong? by 5minsmadness: 7:50pm On Jun 24, 2016
Some people are just stüpid!

So a father can't cradle his son again?

Idiots!
Re: Is This Wrong? by Blackfire(m): 5:15am On Jun 25, 2016
freecocoa:
I see absolutely nothing wrong here.

how are u?

(1) (Reply)

Would You Keep A Joint Account With Your Spouse? / Is 50k Job Enugh To Settle Down In This Economic Recession. / My Awesome Time Out With Mrs Gloria Udeviegwo An Old School Love Bird

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.