Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,957 members, 7,879,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 10:18 AM

Ikorodu Attacks: Government Deploys Army, Policemen To Restore Peace - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ikorodu Attacks: Government Deploys Army, Policemen To Restore Peace (662 Views)

Barefooted Nnamdi Kanu Kneels & Prays To gods In Anambra To Restore Biafra (Pic) / N360m Wike's Bribe: 14 Policemen To Testify Against 23 INEC Officials / Wike And PDP Planning To Deploy Fake Army, Policemen On December 10- APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikorodu Attacks: Government Deploys Army, Policemen To Restore Peace by TheFreeOne: 1:13pm On Jun 26, 2016
Residents Desert Home

Following the spate of attacks, the Lagos State Police Command and the 81 Division, Nigerian Army, have deployed over 1,000 security personnel to restore peace in troubled Igbolomu, Ikorodu, where a suspected militant group is feared to have killed over a dozen residents at weekend. The community remained deserted yesterday, despite the presence of security operatives, as residents, who fled their homes are yet to return.

Army spokesman in Lagos, Lieutenant Colonel Kingsley Samuel, told The Guardian on telephone that the Army has cordoned off the area and restored peace.

He said men of the OP Messa have increased and more personnel are on the ground to avert any reoccurrence, adding, “peace has returned and our officers are there. There is no issue anymore. Our patrol team has been reinforced.”

Also, a source at the Rapid Response Squad (RRS) said the situation has been brought under control by a detachment from the Lagos and Ogun State Police Command.

The source said: “The Commissioner of Police has ordered deployment of more men to the place as at 12 noon yesterday. As I speak, there are thousands of policemen from the Mobile Police Squadron, the RRS, Ikorodu Divisions, Area Commands and military personnel there. Residents are no longer deserting the area because we are all there to secure them.”

Spokesman for Ogun State police command told The Guardian yesterday that only two persons were confirmed killed during the rampage by the suspected militants, adding that the command has reinforced security in the area in the interest of residents.

However, a resident who pleaded anonymity informed The Guardian at about 4.30pm yesterday that the place was still a death zone.

He declared: “The militants do not come out in the afternoon. They would wait for everyone to go to bed and by 11.30pm, they would come out and slaughter anyone they see. Residents are still leaving the community as I speak. These killers are pipeline vandals whose illicit business has been ruined due to government checks. “The residents are paying for what they did not cause. We need more presence of security personnel and they should not just come and go, they should stay with us because these boys would still come back.”

According to residents, at least 20 persons were feared killed and scores injured when suspected pipeline vandals raided Igbolomu, a boarder community between Lagos and Ogun State.

http://m.guardian.ng/news/ikorodu-attacks-government-deploys-army-policemen-to-restore-peace
Re: Ikorodu Attacks: Government Deploys Army, Policemen To Restore Peace by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jun 26, 2016
Always showing up after lives have been lost as usual.Meanwhile,i hope the security agents are not arresting innocent civilians while the perpetrators of violence have all escaped.
Re: Ikorodu Attacks: Government Deploys Army, Policemen To Restore Peace by Olayinkaboss(m): 1:37pm On Jun 26, 2016
ok
Re: Ikorodu Attacks: Government Deploys Army, Policemen To Restore Peace by TheFreeOne: 1:43pm On Jun 26, 2016
As at 8pm yesterday a 'friend' told me her brother has decided to relocate with his family from the area and move in with her tentatively cos it is no longer safe living there.

I hope our security agencies will provide needed presence and not leave residents of the area to the mercy of those vandals and murderers.
Re: Ikorodu Attacks: Government Deploys Army, Policemen To Restore Peace by Olayinkaboss(m): 2:37pm On Jun 26, 2016
Hypocrecy is when u accused fulani herdsman of trying to islamize Nigeria, bt u wont say 9ja delta want to chrisanize Nigeria. Hypocrecy is when u blast d president 4 keeping mute on nimbo n agatu attacks, but u dint deem it fit to blast bubu 4 is silent over ikorodu massacre. Hypocrecy is wen u blamed islam 4 fulani menace, but u wont blame nd's attrocities on christan. Hypocracy is wen u blve hausa/fulani dominated solders cnt win nda in d creek, but blve fulani are d1 disguising as nd's militant operating in ikorodu's creek. Hypocrecy is wen u asked 4 proof b4 u blv nd's militant are behind ikorodu shootings, but u dint ask 4 proof abt fulani massacre in nimbo. Hypocrecy is wen u blast northern's elders n leaders 4 nt condeming nimbo attack, bt u hav'nt blast nd's elders n leaders 4dere grave silent on ikorodu massacred. Am not sopporting fulani or nd's militant, bt I hate hypocrecy. Pls pardon my my written errors n flaws

1 Like

Re: Ikorodu Attacks: Government Deploys Army, Policemen To Restore Peace by TheFreeOne: 5:19pm On Jun 26, 2016
Olayinkaboss:
Hypocrecy is when u accused fulani herdsman of trying to islamize Nigeria, bt u wont say 9ja delta want to chrisanize Nigeria. Hypocrecy is when u blast d president 4 keeping mute on nimbo n agatu attacks, but u dint deem it fit to blast bubu 4 is silent over ikorodu massacre. Hypocrecy is wen u blamed islam 4 fulani menace, but u wont blame nd's attrocities on christan. Hypocracy is wen u blve hausa/fulani dominated solders cnt win nda in d creek, but blve fulani are d1 disguising as nd's militant operating in ikorodu's creek. Hypocrecy is wen u asked 4 proof b4 u blv nd's militant are behind ikorodu shootings, but u dint ask 4 proof abt fulani massacre in nimbo. Hypocrecy is wen u blast northern's elders n leaders 4 nt condeming nimbo attack, bt u hav'nt blast nd's elders n leaders 4dere grave silent on ikorodu massacred. Am not sopporting fulani or nd's militant, bt I hate hypocrecy. Pls pardon my my written errors n flaws

There are conflicting identities of the assailants (some claimed they are ijaw militants whilst others said they are pipeline vandals, armed robbers).

The state government need to make a pronouncement on what truly transpired so we can know the actual number of deaths and what is being done to forestall reoccurrence.

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Withdraws Security Guards Attached To Individuals, / Please Nigerians, Be Patient With Buhari- Atiku / Still On Abia Governorship Tussle,nwosu Filed An Appeal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.