Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,329 members, 7,888,050 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:18 PM

See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? (15335 Views)

Landlady Allegedly Fixes Sharp Iron Nails In Front Of Her House In Lagos (photos / Lagos Landlady Fixed Nails In Front Of Her House To Hinder Unwelcome Guests / My Landlady And Nepa Bill Trouble (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by pato231(m): 11:05am On Jun 29, 2016
Oblongata:
pls i did not quote you, and from your comment you lack objectivity. you are talking from the landlord's perspective and i am talking of the real world. that is the reality and law out there. the rent owed is just 1 month and from all indication, the light bill owed is by previous tenant; he just owes 6k. please mr immature how can sum1 run away from 1 month owed rent? (where people way dey owe 1 year sef still dey kampe)? the law supports tenants in Nigeria, and before you start sentiments about the landlord , go and make your research on tenancy contract (google is ur friend)and make meaningful contribution or ask your uncles, thanks.
lol i see a kid trying to be all grown up here, i do not need to Google tenancy agreement because i have been a landlord Long before you started earning money to feed yourself( That is if you do). What is the real world? that people should not act and live responsibly?
I know your type, kid from the gutter, never do well and always wanting to be the villian. Lets be glad you are typing from the comfort and protection of your computer, i would have given you reason to consult your uncles.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Oblongata: 11:12am On Jun 29, 2016
pato231:

lol i see a kid trying to be all grown up here, i do not need to Google tenancy agreement because i have been a landlord Long before you started earning money to feed yourself( That is if you do). What is the real world? that people should not act and live responsibly?
I know your type, kid from the gutter, never do well and always wanting to be the villian. Lets be glad you are typing from the comfort and protection of your computer, i would have given you reason to consult your uncles.
i know your types on nairaland and i desperately run from ur likes; who asked if you are a landlord? i have simply asked you to have a recourse to tenancy laws in Nigeria and make meaningful contribution,check if i am wrong and come back to let us know i am wrong, abeg we are tired of little boys here on NL, it is as if you guys do meeting because you all spew the same thrash, same cybercafe attendants coming to form landlords and big boys only on cyber, i never even quoted you in the first place because ur comment reeks of childishness, small boy oshi.

because you be landlord now (which both of us know that it is not true) you will create your own tenancy laws abi? moote
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by aalangel(f): 11:25am On Jun 29, 2016
tearoses:

Well done
Are you a home owner?
Would you be happy if someone lived rent free for 6 whole months in a property that you used your sweat and hard work to build?
Please be honest

Most landlords are decent people and if you behave, they have no reason to react
Usually its the tenant that moves the goalpost and that causes a reaction from the landlord

What if this landlord was expecting to use this rent to pay his/her kids school fees?
or is a pensioner whose pension has not been paid and is relying on this rent to eat?

If I don't quote you, please don't quote me. One month is not enough to lock up someone's house. Of course I owe you no explanations.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by pato231(m): 11:25am On Jun 29, 2016
Oblongata:
i know your types on nairaland and i desperately run from ur likes; who asked if you are a landlord? i have simply asked you to have a recourse to tenancy laws in Nigeria and make meaningful contribution,check if i am wrong and come back to let us know i am wrong, abeg we are tired of little boys here on NL, it is as if you guys do meeting because you all spew the same thrash, same cybercafe attendants coming to form landlords and big boys only on cyber, i never even quoted you in the first place because ur comment reeks of childishness, small boy oshi...
It is evident you do not know basic computer use, you have been quoting me all along. Your sense of irresponsibilty has beclouded your thinking. keep spewing thrash, i do not join issues with kids. Now is see why the redemption of Nigeria is not in sight, if we still have growing youths nay kids like you with this mindset. For the record a cyber cafe attendant earns a honest living, your type go the quick way then end up owing rent and sundry because you failed to plan according to your income from the get go. Use your brain kid.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Oblongata: 11:35am On Jun 29, 2016
pato231:

It is evident you do not know basic computer use, you have been quoting me all along. Your sense of irresponsibilty has beclouded your thinking. keep spewing thrash, i do not join issues with kids. Now is see why the redemption of Nigeria is not in sight, if we still have growing youths nay kids like you with this mindset. For the record a cyber cafe attendant earns a honest living, your type go the quick way then end up owing rent and sundry because you failed to plan according to your income from the get go. Use your brain kid.
you started quoting me in the first place and it is quite evident, i will never quote your likes...please dont quote me again. thanks.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by An0nimus: 11:46am On Jun 29, 2016
aalangel:

If I don't quote you, please don't quote me. One month is not enough to lock up someone's house. Of course I owe you no explanations.

How many months is enough?

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by wacoj(m): 11:47am On Jun 29, 2016
My brother just don't mind all these people blaming you for not paying electricity bill for 5 months
afterall we hardly see the light. Secondly you've not been around for a while, thirdly NEPA should
should do the needful and give everyone prepaid meter, fourthly most of them never pay their own even rent.

To the point, go and meet ur landlady and find out the reason behind this. It might not be what you think.
People are funny. That was how someone told a landlord in my area that my friend is dead just
because the guy locked his house for some months and travelled without telling anyone though he wasn't owing.

Just go and find out. She has no right to lock ur apartment without a court order!
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by pato231(m): 12:09pm On Jun 29, 2016
Oblongata:
you started quoting me in the first place and it is quite evident, i will never quote your likes...please dont quote me again. thanks.
Because the level of my discuss outweighs your miopic and condescending being. As long as you keep quoting me, i will quote you. ****
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Oblongata: 12:18pm On Jun 29, 2016
pato231:

Because the level of my discuss outweighs your miopic and condescending being. As long as you keep quoting me, i will quote you. Bastard
mynd44, lalasticlala, take note.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by brag3: 12:19pm On Jun 29, 2016
And why should she be happy that he is moving out after month?

Is rent now free here in Lagos? Why are you encouraging such practices? I guess its people like you that will never be Landlords/landladies.

I just dont get how we think in Nigeria.

Skain:
Some landlords sha...
How much does she want to collect for 1month now, she should even be happy you're moving out after just 1month.

Op go and meet her and explain your situation with her she might pity you afterall.

3 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by pato231(m): 12:20pm On Jun 29, 2016
Oblongata:
mynd44, lalasticlala, take note.
Cry baby grin grin grin
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by An0nimus: 12:25pm On Jun 29, 2016
tearoses:

Well done
Are you a home owner?
Would you be happy if someone lived rent free for 6 whole months in a property that you used your sweat and hard work to build?
Please be honest

Most landlords are decent people and if you behave, they have no reason to react
Usually its the tenant that moves the goalpost and that causes a reaction from the landlord

What if this landlord was expecting to use this rent to pay his/her kids school fees?
or is a pensioner whose pension has not been paid and is relying on this rent to eat?

Tearoses God will bless you for your posts on this thread. You understand. Like I always say, 'we no dey ever hear of bad tenant, na only bad landlord.' Bad tenant are just as rampant as bad landlords if not more.

3 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by brag3: 12:28pm On Jun 29, 2016
I guess you will never be a Landlord so your point has been duly ignored.

I pray someone never tries to take bread from your family's mouth as that is what you are advocating.

OP owes rent and your advice is for him to break d lock and gain posession.

Try this with some really mad landlords and its not only your possesions that will be locked up.

ogawisdom:

She is wrong to use self help to recover possession, if she wants to eject u she has to follow the law.

Since u really intend to move out, break dt lock and gain possession dt house still technically belongs to u until ejected even if u r owing. After that maintain u didn't kw its ur landlady dt locked it since she never informed u anyway. Nothing will happen and from there u guys will make little trouble n then settle things angry

If anybody locks my house while I am away I will break it once I am arnd immediately n face d result infact I will maintain I think it's thieves dt wants to steal my properties.

Op dnt b a coward act nw n dnt allow dt illiterate woman to maltreat u. Break d rubbish lock its jst common sense Yes u r wrong to owe electric bill n one month rent but she is wrong to lock ur houz absolutely.

Is like some landlords dt will remove d roof of ur house for owing dt is self help n d law does nt accommodate it

All d comments I read r jst sentimental.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by An0nimus: 12:36pm On Jun 29, 2016
brag3:

Is rent now free here in Lagos? Why are you encouraging such practices?

Someone recently told me his landlord is a wicked man because he (the landlord) refused to take half year's rent. I put myself in the landlords shoes and asked this someone what if the landlord needs the money to settle a pressing issue. The oga then told me whether the landlord doesn't have any other source of income apart from the house?

I didn't even know how to continue the discourse from there.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by brag3: 12:41pm On Jun 29, 2016
This is the best response so far.......... grin grin grin

pato231:

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by wealth123: 1:14pm On Jun 29, 2016
See your life? advising someone to leave his work and be going to rent tribunal instead of just paying the woman off and pack out. You have not paid electricity bill for 5 months so what have you been using? If you have been using electricity then you must pay. If you have been using Generator, you must have spent fortune on fuel. So my brother , avoid wahala and just pay and pack out. The house is not yours.

Lexusgs430:
Go to rent tribunal/ court. The landlord would regret this action

2 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Skain(m): 1:48pm On Jun 29, 2016
Relax ogbeni, you don't know if I own a house already. I'm just saying from experience there are some tenants that will owe you 3months rent and still not ready to move out peacefully.

brag3:

Is rent now free here in Lagos? Why are you encouraging such practices? I guess its people like you that will never be Landlords/landladies.

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by ogawisdom(m): 2:51pm On Jun 29, 2016
brag3:

I pray someone never tries to take bread from your family's mouth as that is what you are advocating.

Try this with some really mad landlords and its not only your possesions that will be locked up.

Lol u sound like a juvenile, well sorry to disappoint u I am a landlord already. I will never engage in such barbaric behavior with my tenants.

U can go hang ur illiterate body ode
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by brag3: 2:57pm On Jun 29, 2016
I am totally relaxed here but I still don't get your point?

Are you condoning this or not? So because some people live for 3 months free and not move out means this Landlady is lucky?

I have no beed with you and if you are a land lord kudos to you but your response to OP still baffles me.

Skain:
Relax ogbeni, you don't know if I own a house already. I'm just saying from experience there are some tenants that will owe you 3months rent and still not ready to move out peacefully.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by brag3: 2:58pm On Jun 29, 2016
Trust me I wont exchange words with you here. Does me or you no good. Goodluck being a Landlord and hope you get tenants that don't pay you rent. Amen

ogawisdom:

Lol u sound like a juvenile, well sorry to disappoint u I am a landlord already. I will never engage in such barbaric behavior with my tenants.

U can go hang ur illiterate body ode
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by aalangel(f): 3:10pm On Jun 29, 2016
An0nimus:

How many months is enough?

If you paid for 2 years, you have one year. If you paid for one year, you have six months. That's how the LAW favors a tenant. I didn't write it.
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jun 29, 2016
An0nimus:

Tearoses God will bless you for your posts on this thread. You understand. Like I always say, 'we no dey ever hear of bad tenant, na only bad landlord.' Bad tenant are just as rampant as bad landlords if not more.

My dear many of them don't understand life so one just has to try and explain to them.
Thats why you see many people earning so much money but have nothing to show for it and you wonder why things aren't working for them

At the end of the day, You reap what you sow
Someone worked hard with no recourse to public funds and built somewhere for you to put your head and shield you from the elements, but you end up biting the hand that helped you. I know how much tenants beg and keep on coming round when they are looking for the property but after they move in its a different story for some.

I always pray for my good tenants that they too will build houses and be landlords. Even if I don't pray for you. God has already answered your prayers becasue you are not causing another person to cry.

Some people are just operating under so many curses here and there due to their own actions and then wonder why bad things befall.
If you are deliberately owing a feeble pensioner who cant afford to eat or buy drugs how can your own prayers be answered?

2 Likes

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by An0nimus: 3:52pm On Jun 29, 2016
aalangel:

If you paid for 2 years, you have one year. If you paid for one year, you have six months. That's how the LAW favors a tenant. I didn't write it.

Ok. When or if you have your own house, allow your tenant to stay an extra six months free. Don't try to preempt the move with a tenancy agreement. Allow him stay for that long without paying. Wish you goodluck

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 6:14pm On Jun 29, 2016
brag3:

Try locking the door of a crazy tenant and see if you don't live to regret taking the law into your hand
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Lexusgs430: 6:19pm On Jun 29, 2016
wealth123:
See your life? advising someone to leave his work and be going to rent tribunal instead of just paying the woman off and pack out. You have not paid electricity bill for 5 months so what have you been using? If you have been using electricity then you must pay. If you have been using Generator, you must have spent fortune on fuel. So my brother , avoid wahala and just pay and pack out. The house is not yours.

Unfortunately/Fortunately, Laws and courts are out there to protect the Landlord and Tenant.
The moment a tenant does not move out amicable or is proving difficult, do the right thing and stop been a bully-landlord!!!!!
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by mastro: 6:52pm On Jun 29, 2016
aalangel:

My dear, according to Land Law which I was very good in in school, you still have up to six months grace in that house after your rent expired. You can send me a mail to link you with a good lawyer.

You should have paid attention in class, his leasehold has expired,
From below
"NNAEMEKA AGU J.S.C. in the case of African Petroleum Ltd v. Owodunni (1991) 8 NWLR (Pt.210)391 endorsed he landlord's lawful act of forcible entry, when a legal tenants hold over the premises beyond the contractual tenure by this statement "

While she should serve you notice, you are still liable for rent under the terms of the expired contract.

Of course since you weren't around she can quite easily claimed that she tried serving you notice.

that's the legal aspect

The MORAL ASPECT, is simply are you a thief, why would you stay in a property and not pay the rent and bills, you had better go beg her & pay your outstanding PHCN bills. What goes around comes around.

1 Like

Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by brag3: 6:59pm On Jun 30, 2016
Thank you. And you point is to let them live free of charge?
Note I am advocating any violence but if tenants refuse to pay their rents and nowhere to be found please advice what to do.

Thanks again

ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Try locking the door of a crazy tenant and see if you don't live to regret taking the law into your hand
Re: See What My Landlady Did! What Should I Do? by Pesuzok(m): 2:34pm On Oct 09, 2017
thunder74:
I read some of the comments here and they are off the point or at best moral advice which is different from the position of our laws.

You did not tell us your location but let me assume that you are in Lagos. Your remedy is already captured by the Tenancy law which placed a fine of N250k or three months imprisonment on any landlord that uses self-help in ejecting his/her tenant.

If you have the money and the time, file a criminal complaint at the nearest police station for it to be taken up from there.

Your landlady should have served you six months notice and after its expiration, give you 7 days owner's intention to apply to recover possession. Then if you still refuse or ignore to give possession, she can then approach court to get a valid order to eject you. We should stop celebrate illegality on the alter of sentiment, whatever you permit will increase.

Kindly take note also that you will also pay for every other days you stay in the house after 31st of May and also pay for all the utility bills.

One woman tried this with one of my clients, she will never try it again in her life after I was through with her.

Will she also pay for the days she was locked out

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cost Of Roofing A 3bedroom Bungallow? / Lagos Issues Deadline To Squatters Under Ijora, Blue Line Bridges To Vacate / Ogun Landlords Protest Christ Embassy’s Claim To Estate Land in Aseese

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.