Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,383 members, 7,940,471 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 06:49 AM

What Is The Difference Between Advice & Advise - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between Advice & Advise (891 Views)

What Is The Difference Between Idiom And Figure Of Speech? / Finally, No More Difference Between Bsc/hnd Graduates – FG Announces / What Is The Difference Between A Lake, A River, And A Stream? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between Advice & Advise by okey4reel(m): 7:38am On Jun 29, 2016
I will like to know which is correct between Advice & Advise when asking for people's opinion or suggestion, because most times I have seen Nairalanders use Advice in place of Advise or vice versa but to me it dosent really matter.

So I decided to bring it to the house to confirm.
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice & Advise by Nobody: 7:44am On Jun 29, 2016
I think one is American and the other is british
Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice & Advise by Nobody: 8:11am On Jun 29, 2016
The word, advice, is a noun while advise is a verb. They sound differently, however, due to their respective stress patterns.

For instance:
My uncle gave me a valuable piece of advice before travelling overseas.
He advised me to study hard for my final exams..

Same thing goes for practice (noun) and practise (verb). There are many others also. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between Advice & Advise by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jul 03, 2016
Advice is a noun while advise is a verb.
e.g
The doctor advised me today.( The Advise is a verb here, that is an action word, meaning that the doctor gave a recommendation to you)
I got some advice from the doctor today.( advice is just a noun, that is you as a person received the doctors recommendation)

(1) (Reply)

Futminna 2016/2017 Pre Admission Screening Exercise / Universal School Of Aviation Emerges 2016 West Africa Most Innovative School / Fastest Growing Business Ideas For Young Entrepreneurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.