Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,225 members, 7,900,354 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 10:44 AM

The Greatest Show On Earth: By Richard Dawkins - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Greatest Show On Earth: By Richard Dawkins (700 Views)

"Religion Has No Place In The 21st Century"-Cambridge Debate-Dawkins vs.Williams / An Interview Of Richard Dawkins By Ben Stein / Anony's Soul Theory Destroyed By Richard Dawkins! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Greatest Show On Earth: By Richard Dawkins by mantraa: 4:06pm On Sep 05, 2009
The highly-anticipated new book from the bestselling author of The God Delusion!

This brand new book provides The Evidence for Evolution and is a must for all those who believe the earth is less than 7000 years old.
(and for those who seek the real truth)

http://richarddawkins.net/thegreatestshowonearth

watch the video and share your thoughts
Re: The Greatest Show On Earth: By Richard Dawkins by Krayola2(m): 4:46pm On Sep 05, 2009
Nice Video. I already believe evolution. No need to read his book  tongue

This is a six part video about the human mind, and how it has evolved "recently". . .pretty cool stuff if u can sit thru it.

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnQaCxF-1IQ&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: The Greatest Show On Earth: By Richard Dawkins by bindex(m): 8:18am On Sep 06, 2009
Interesting videos but one thing with evolution is that it is full of conjectures and suppositions to the extent that it makes little sense to me. Personally I believe that evolution is on the same page with creationism. The FACT is no one knows how the universe began and how we got here or even if we are the only ones here in the universe any body that claims to know for sure is a LIAR.
Re: The Greatest Show On Earth: By Richard Dawkins by zmurda(m): 9:11am On Sep 06, 2009
bindex:

Interesting videos but one thing with evolution is that it is full of conjectures and suppositions to the extent that it makes little sense to me. Personally I believe that evolution is on the same page with creationism. The FACT is no one knows how the universe began and how we got here or even if we are the only ones here in the universe any body that claims to know for sure is a LIAR.

His book, the God delusion makes for very interesting reading, throws up a lot more questions for me than answers. The video is a continuation of a man who seeks answers.

I am tempted to agree with you. For a fact, the 'science' of evolution is a bit shady. Though I tend to side with it more than creationism. I think growing up as christian has made me have a syncretic way of looking at the beginning of life. A little of creationism, then things moved on from there.
Re: The Greatest Show On Earth: By Richard Dawkins by bindex(m): 9:17am On Sep 06, 2009
z-murda:

His book, the God delusion makes for very interesting reading, throws up a lot more questions for me than answers. The video is a continuation of a man who seeks answers.

I am tempted to agree with you. For a fact, the 'science' of evolution is a bit shady. Though I tend to side with it more than creationism. I think growing up as christian has made me have a syncretic way of looking at the beginning of life. A little of creationism, then things moved on from there.

Creationism itself is just a concept that people developed but the only thing is that they wrote that their various gods did it. A good look at the universe shows that the earth and the universe did not come about that the way it is portrayed in any of the man made religious text. Read the creation accounts in the bible and the koran and you will see for yourself that those stories and nothing but lies. That is why people are supposed to believe them based o faith not because they make an sense at all.
Re: The Greatest Show On Earth: By Richard Dawkins by zmurda(m): 9:25am On Sep 06, 2009
bindex:

Creationism itself is just a concept that people developed but the only thing is that they wrote that their various gods did it. A good look at the universe shows that the earth and the universe did not come about that the way it is portrayed in any of the man made religious text. Read the creation accounts in the bible and the koran and you will see for yourself that those stories and nothing but lies. That is why people are supposed to believe them based o faith not because they make an sense at all.

I think creationism and evolutionism are both concepts developed by people. It takes a lot of faith to believe both either ways. I do no believe that the world was created in 7 days,it would be wholly irrational to think it was (if that's what you are alluding to) neither do I wholly believe that evolutionism is THE WORD.
I think as they say faith without works is dead (maybe i quote outta context).
My idea is SOMETHING created the first single cell bugger. It may be a higher force, the big bang or even me for that matter. I don't know, the scientists don't know.
Re: The Greatest Show On Earth: By Richard Dawkins by bindex(m): 9:55am On Sep 06, 2009
z-murda:

I think creationism and evolutionism are both concepts developed by people. It takes a lot of faith to believe both either ways. I do no believe that the world was created in 7 days,it would be wholly irrational to think it was (if that's what you are alluding to) neither do I wholly believe that evolutionism is THE WORD.
I think as they say faith without works is dead (maybe i quote outta context).
My idea is SOMETHING created the first single cell bugger. It may be a higher force, the big bang or even me for that matter. I don't know, the scientists don't know.

The world being created in seven days is not really a problem for some one to believe to believe if you really want to believe in it. There are more problems in the creation accounts in genesis for example the account talks about the earth being created before the sun, what held the earth in orbit before the sun was created? How was there evening, morning day and night without the sun? It does not even talk about the creation of other planets because the people that wrote the creation accounts did not know that there are other planets orbiting the sun in the solar system, they just wrote down what they knew and thought was right. What about the stars? The really had no idea what they were,the thought the stars were just tiny dots hanging up in the sky for signs that is why they said it took their god an entire day to create the earth and annother entire day to create the moon and the sun but  just a day to create uncountable stars that are more complex and more complicated than the earth, our moon and sun. If only they had looked into a space telescope they would never have written any such thing. Creationism is the thoughts of how medieval men who now nothing about the universe thought it came about

Evolution is based purely on supposition like creationism, it has some points but instead of scientist to allow the evidence to speak for it self they make too many subjective claims and try to impose their suggestions all the time. If evolution is true then let the evidence speak for itself. Too much "We believe" or ridiculous reconstructions by scientist makes it absurd to me.

As you have said no body knows how the earth, life or the universe came about if we do then we will not have any reason to believe in any of the many hypothesis out there, any body that claims to know for sure is a liar.
Re: The Greatest Show On Earth: By Richard Dawkins by huxley(m): 11:46am On Sep 06, 2009
bindex:

Really surprised to read this from you. Looks like there is some confusion in your mind about what constitute the FACTS of evolution & The Theory of Evolution. Allow me to say the following;

1) Evolution is a FACT. That is, the gradual change of lifeforms over time is an irrefutable FACT. If this were not true, how would you explain the following;

- No fossils of mammals are ever found found in the pre-cambrian but in much later ages. If they were not in the pre-cambrian, how did they "emerge" into reality some hundred of millions of years later?

- About 250 million years ago, 99% of all living things on earth went extinct due to a global environmental catastrophe. If 99% of all living were wiped out 250MYA, how would you account for the vast diversity you see around you today?

- How do you account for the fact that some whales are born with fully formed hind limbs, just like a hippo's hind limbs?

- How do you account for the fact that there were absolutely no placental mammals in the Australian continent before they were introduced recently by humans.

- How do you account for the fact that genetic studies show very close relationships between animals? For instance, humans are only a few percent (about 1 - 2%) different from apes.

- etc, etc, etc.

Under what theoretical framework would one explain all these FACTS? Can you explain them under the creationist framework, or the framework of the Theory of Evolution?

The Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection is only one of possibly many different frameworks that provide plausible explanations for the observed FACTS of evolution. The core elements of the theory are:

1) Genetic variation in the population of animals/plants.
2) A long period of time.
3) A Selection pressure acting over that long period of time.

OK, you may not accept The Theory of Evolution (By Natural Selection), which is fine. But you will face a hard time explaining the FACTS of evolution, some of which I have listed above. I would very much like to see you explain these FACTS in a non-evolutionary (non-Darwinian) framework?

Over to you !

(1) (Reply)

A Must Read For All Christian Brothers And Sisters / Calabar Carnival Took Place On Sunday(christian Sabbath) / How About If There Was A Remedy For Death?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.