Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,697 members, 7,938,122 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 05:53 PM

Nigerians Please Read This: - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Please Read This: (1992 Views)

NIGERIANS Please What Do You Have To Say To This Man!!! / ISIS Dares Turkey To Save Kobani,nigerians Please Beg Turkey To Save Kobani / Nigerians, Please Slow Down On Copying Foreign Things (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Please Read This: by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 05, 2009
HELLO NIGERIANS.
I AM HERE TO SHARE MY TRUE LIFE STORY WITH EVERYBODY AND PLEASE DON'T HESITATE TO CONTRIBUTE YOUR OWN QUOTA.

WHERE ARE WE GOING IN THIS COUNTRY?
CORRUPTION EVERY WHERE FROM LEADERS, POLICES, EXECUTIVES, BANKERS, ETC

MY STORY.

I am a computer Engineer, resides in Egbeda, Lagos.
I was working in my office on wednesday 3, sept, 2009. then a customer called me to install some softwares into her system and  i was going to her house, then suddenly I was blocked on my way by POLICE. They said:

POLICE: wait,

POLICE: what's inside your bag?

ME: laptop, i am a computer engineer

POLICE: where is your Id card?

ME: i show them my ID card and my complimentary card

POLICE: bring your laptop, lets check something inside

ME: I gave them the laptop

POLICE: enter inside the motor, we are going to station together

ME: ahh, i think i've show you my Id card

POLICE: I say, get inside

ME: i enter inside the motor and we are proceeding to station, then I called my brother to informed him what is going on. When we got to station they said i should on the system, which i put it on

POLICE: come here, what are you doing with this laptop?

ME: I told you i am an engineer and i design website for people

They searched all the files inside the system and they even collected my phone and also searched my messages may be I am into illegal activities. Even with all the proved that i am an engineer and they (POLICE) said i should bail myself with #10,000. I didn't commit any crimed,
If i failed to cooperate their are going to locked me inside the cell.

ME: my brother and I started pleaded for #2,000. which they later collected.

POLICE: you should be thanking God that we know your brother. if not, you  we paid #10,000. we are always out to arrest those carry laptop about.

IS IT A CRIME TO HAVE A LAPTOP IN NIGERIA? OR WHAT?

we are shouting in Nigeria that the unemployment in the country is over 50%. Then, Nigerians are leveraging on computer, either computer engineer, web design, computer typing, graphics design etc.
We are busy doing one thing or the other.

Please, Nigerians what should i do to get my money back?

Thank you very much for reading my story and I want you to learn from me. I don't know how many people who must have be a victim of this money extortion by POLICE from innocent Nigerians.
We don't have leaders, police in this country.
BUT, i believe Almighty God we send an angel that'll change the whole country and move it to next level.

Cheer

Engineer Wablux
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by matrim: 6:43pm On Sep 05, 2009
why are u posting this on nairaland ?
why not guardian or something and i'm sure they wore name tags.why not forward the station and their names to a daily?
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by bayo1(m): 9:38pm On Sep 05, 2009

When we have illiterates in police force, what do you expect? I've heard such cases more than once.

BUT, i believe Almighty God we send an angel that'll change the whole country and move it to next level.

Angel will not come and do anything if we are not changing our ways. God has given the total control of the earth to man.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by netotse(m): 9:47pm On Sep 05, 2009
guy u shld have asked to see the DPO or something, they chanced you because you dont know your rights o. . .at least thank God you're ok sha
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by kunleweb: 12:29am On Sep 06, 2009
Dress corporately and you won't be stopped next time.i stopped wearing casuals for a time and it worked for me.

tk
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by jamace(m): 5:41am On Sep 06, 2009
The ripples of a corrupt nation.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by larez(m): 11:37am On Sep 06, 2009
It's a damn shame having to suggest dressing corporately because of the criminals in uniform. The guys that actually have the most impact of the computer industry are the nerds who will not conform to things like corporate dressing. These are the guys who wear flip-flops and uncoordinated colors into corporate boardrooms. The ones in suits hardly know a dang thing about what is going on. Meanwhile, all the 419ners and criminals know to dress up in suits and are friends of the biggest DPOs in Police Stations.

Nigeria we hail thee.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by princekevo(m): 12:28pm On Sep 06, 2009

My Guy you committed a very big offence if you dont know,
Prading a gud looking laptop(maybe) in a broad daylight while a police cannot afford a common Nokia 3310,
Another offence is that you dont know your as such engaging urself into bargaining with them,
People like you are the reason why they will remain unchanged,
Sorry next time check wht you right is and make sure u stand on it even if u have to go prison becoz of it,
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by matrim: 2:29pm On Sep 06, 2009
princekevo:

My Guy you committed a very big offence if you dont know,
Prading a gud looking laptop(maybe) in a broad daylight while a police cannot afford a common Nokia 3310,
Another offence is that you dont know your as such engaging urself into bargaining with them,
People like you are the reason why they will remain unchanged,
Sorry next time check wht you right is and make sure u stand on it even if u have to go prison becoz of it,
bad guy u're in taipei and u're advising someone in nigerian police station to argue with a guy with a gun-such brotherly love.
first come home and claim ur rights b4 counselling anodr person
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Afam4eva(m): 2:44pm On Sep 06, 2009
netotse:

guy u shld have asked to see the DPO or something, they chanced you because you dont know your rights o. . .at least thank God you're ok sha

the more you let them know your rights, the more you suffer. that's nigeria for you.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by princekevo(m): 6:05am On Sep 07, 2009
matrim:

bad guy u're in taipei and u're advising someone in nigerian police station to argue with a guy with a gun-such brotherly love.
first come home and claim your rights b4 counselling anodr person

Listen man i dont Nogetiate with anyone on my rights even here, if you like put AK47 on my neck.
If am talkin or counselling is out my own experience, I was in Nigeria 2005 i had several of such issues with the cops even on the road for the 20naira collection, I would prefer to spend the whole day with you standing on my right to giving you 20naira.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Afam(m): 8:40am On Sep 07, 2009
Many Nigerians don't know their rights and majority of those that even know their rights are not ready to enforce them.

Nigerians all over the world are celebrating late Gani Fawehinmi. Do you think they are doing so because he kept negotiating for his freedom?

I drive myself, I use okada and sometimes with my laptop and I see these same policemen on the road.

People should stop this nonsense excuse about arguing with them and the risk of being shot or locked up.

Don't you know that the police will naturally take advantage of your fears. Tell them you are not afraid of being locked up and that you know your rights and that you are ready to defend that right even if it means dying for it and more importantly make it known to them that you will not be giving them any money for anything because you have not done anything wrong.

Personally the reason why Nigeria is the way it is right now is because people are not bold enough to insist on doing the right things at all times regardless of the inconveniences or problems they may face in the process.

Each time I read or hear any of these excuses I pity Nigeria and Nigerians the more.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by princekevo(m): 9:50am On Sep 07, 2009
Afam:

Many Nigerians don't know their rights and majority of those that even know their rights are not ready to enforce them.

Nigerians all over the world are celebrating late Gani Fawehinmi. Do you think they are doing so because he kept negotiating for his freedom?

I drive myself, I use okada and sometimes with my laptop and I see these same policemen on the road.

People should stop this nonsense excuse about arguing with them and the risk of being shot or locked up.

Don't you know that the police will naturally take advantage of your fears. Tell them you are not afraid of being locked up and that you know your rights and that you are ready to defend that right even if it means dying for it and more importantly make it known to them that you will not be giving them any money for anything because you have not done anything wrong.

Personally the reason why Nigeria is the way it is right now is because people are not bold enough to insist on doing the right things at all times regardless of the inconveniences or problems they may face in the process.

Each time I read or hear any of these excuses I pity Nigeria and Nigerians the more.

Tell them, those who think yielding to police threat is their last option to get away from their selfish intimidation,
Police are there to enforce the law and not to intimidate or threaten us with the law.
You guyz should get that into your head, thats another means we can get rid of the corruption in the government. When you as a citizen refuses to yield into their corrupt demands irrespective of the consequencies,
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by bilms(m): 10:35am On Sep 07, 2009
i laugh when i see people post,

y because do u think nigerian will ever change by insisting on not givning the police standing by d road side 20 naira? , many people hgave been forgotten in prison because they fail to pay just 2000 naira, d so called DPO is even worse,

How do u think Nigeria will change if u fail to comply with d police? when d leaders themselves remain unchange,

jst learn to dress in away d police will stay away from asking u unreasonable questions,
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Afam(m): 11:11am On Sep 07, 2009
bilms:

i laugh when i see people post,

y because do u think nigerian will ever change by insisting on not givning the police standing by d road side 20 naira? , many people hgave been forgotten in prison because they fail to pay just 2000 naira, d so called DPO is even worse,

The laughter is understandable because in your opinion all we all need to do to stop corruption in the police force is to dress in suits all the time instead of defending your rights.

About people who have been forgotten in prison because they failed to pay N2,000.00 may I also remind you that some have even lost their lives without having anything to do with the police.

Offer bribes or put on suits even when the sun is shining like mad if you want to but do not attempt to justify any bribes offered because it will be like an armed robber trying to justify his robberies.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Pataki: 11:19am On Sep 07, 2009
And this madness still continues?

I remember once I was stopped around Yaba by policemen in plain clothes, I had international documents on me, my laptop, some pounds sterling as well. I never even thought, I could be stopped just randomly like that. Thank goodness I had my NYSC id card on me back then. Immediately, I just flashed it in his eyes with deep-seated arrogance and flaming anger, the idiot told me to go without even searching through my things. What a relief.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by larez(m): 11:32am On Sep 07, 2009
Afam:

The laughter is understandable because in your opinion all we all need to do to stop corruption in the police force is to dress in suits all the time instead of defending your rights.

About people who have been forgotten in prison because they failed to pay N2,000.00 may I also remind you that some have even lost their lives without having anything to do with the police.

Offer bribes or put on suits even when the sun is shining like mad if you want to but do not attempt to justify any bribes offered because it will be like an armed robber trying to justify his robberies.

You are an enlightened Brother, and thanks for speaking out. Not only have I been arrested by these criminals in uniform, but one has put a pistol to my head threatening to shoot me and bragging about how many innocent people he had killed in the past. I stood my grounds and told him people only die once. In Surulere, I have refused to give any Police anything from demand, but sometimes at night, I would stop at their checkpoint and chat with them (not by demand) and then dash them something while encouraging them with about their work. Some of them may even think that I work with SSS or something because of my lack of fear. 3 different times, I may have been killed by wayward Policemen, included one that uncocked his rifle and threatened me while I stepped in to his face and commanded him to "back down". He called me a "crase man" who dey argue with man wey carry gun (This was the commandant of the group who had been stoned silly). Honestly, I believe that they will have pulled the trigger if I had shown any kind of fear, instead my bravado made them decide that I must have been a Military Boss.

Nigerians are so afraid of dying but are dying unfairly everyday. When will people understand that life is not worth living if there is nothing to die for? As long as you are not a criminal, you should not have the need to feel intimidated by any Police man. They are actually violating United Nations laws which Nigeria is a signatory to, by their illegal stop and search routines. People should constantly remind them of this and stand for their rights. Cowards however, always die useless deaths.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Nobody: 7:07pm On Sep 07, 2009
Nigerians I am greatful.
For everybody that share their experience and advice, may almighty God bless everybody.

I know my right but these set of ''criminals on uniform'' could be silly some time.

I still believe the right man that is capable of driving this country forward will emerge one day.

From the top leader to the last gate man is corrupt. But we should be thinking of how to solve this POLICE problem in this country for the sake of our up coming generation.

I once again greatful to everybody.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Afam(m): 7:28pm On Sep 07, 2009
wablux:

I still believe the right man that is capable of driving this country forward will emerge one day.

From the top leader to the  last gate man is corrupt. But we should be thinking of how to solve this POLICE problem in this country for the sake of our up coming generation.

1. I am not corrupt and I am a Nigerian so it is not every Nigerian that is corrupt. You need to change such defeatist mindset.

2. That right man could be you. Don't run away from your rights and expect another person to fight your fight.

3. If you do your part and I do my part as regards offering or giving bribes to policemen trust me a day will come when policemen will resign and those on illegal road blocks will look for other jobs as no one is ready to give them bribes.

Will change come easy? I don't think so.

Is change possible? Yes

Can Nigerians do this? Yes, if there is a will there will definitely be a way.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by asha80(m): 7:33pm On Sep 07, 2009
The problem is when trying to enforce your rights to the police they may not be in the right frame of mind or they maybe on a 'different level'

Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by GEW: 7:41pm On Sep 07, 2009
Afam:

1. I am not corrupt and I am a Nigerian so it is not every Nigerian that is corrupt. You need to change such defeatist mindset.

2. That right man could be you. Don't run away from your rights and expect another person to fight your fight.

3. If you do your part and I do my part as regards offering or giving bribes to policemen trust me a day will come when policemen will resign and those on illegal road blocks will look for other jobs as no one is ready to give them bribes.

Will change come easy? I don't think so.

Is change possible? Yes

Can Nigerians do this? Yes, if there is a will there will definitely be a way.
i like your faith in nigeria but truth is that nigeria is a corrupt nation. all most everyone is corrupt. will take bribes and dont see anything wrong in it.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Afam(m): 7:46pm On Sep 07, 2009
GEW:

i like your faith in nigeria but truth is that nigeria is a corrupt nation. all most everyone is corrupt. will take bribes and dont see anything wrong in it.

I agree a lot of people are corrupt but certainly not everyone.

It is all about integrity and credibility and in all honesty these things are not common with Nigerians.

I try to maintain a sane environment around me regardless of what is happening around me by insisting on the right thing all the time regardless of the consequences. Not an easy way of life anyway but worth living if you must not become like the average Nigerian that does not see anything wrong with 419, murder, bribes, other vices etc.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Ehoi: 7:50pm On Sep 07, 2009
wablux:

Sorry I just have o point this out. This is one of the major problems of the nigerian mentality.
We put too much regard on individual. We have developed a culture of individualism instead of trying to build structures and system that can outlive an individual. That is why some nigerians continue to wait for that one man that will have all the answers to our problems.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by larez(m): 8:35pm On Sep 07, 2009
Afam:

I agree a lot of people are corrupt but certainly not everyone.

It is all about integrity and credibility and in all honesty these things are not common with Nigerians.

I try to maintain a sane environment around me regardless of what is happening around me by insisting on the right thing all the time regardless of the consequences. Not an easy way of life anyway but worth living if you must not become like the average Nigerian that does not see anything wrong with 419, murder, bribes, other vices etc.

You just keep speaking my mind Afam. Can you imagine how the coward ends the thread? Condemning all Nigerians as corrupt. What a slowpoke. I feel so insulted. He cowardly gave up his rights and begged and bribed to avoid standing firm and letting them know that they cannot keep getting away with travesty. And then comes back talking about all Nigerians being corrupt. I hope he gets more of the seeds he has sown by feeding a corrupt system.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Afam(m): 8:46pm On Sep 07, 2009
larez:

You just keep speaking my mind Afam. Can you imagine how the coward ends the thread? Condemning all Nigerians as corrupt. What a slowpoke. I feel so insulted. He cowardly gave up his rights and begged and bribed to avoid standing firm and letting them know that they cannot keep getting away with travesty. And then comes back talking about all Nigerians being corrupt. I hope he gets more of the seeds he has sown by feeding a corrupt system.

Funny enough we fail to realize that the same police we criticize is simply a product of our environment and actually represents a mirror image.

I don't offer bribes to policemen or NEPA officials and I don't give them even when they ask.

Nigerians want others to fight their fights even if it means dying for them so that they can enjoy themselves.

I really pity people who contribute to the mess and when challenged begin to attempt to justify their actions or inactions.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by GEW: 9:11pm On Sep 07, 2009
Afam:

Funny enough we fail to realize that the same police we criticize is simply a product of our environment and actually represents a mirror image.

I don't offer bribes to policemen or NEPA officials and I don't give them even when they ask.

Nigerians want others to fight their fights even if it means dying for them so that they can enjoy themselves.

I really pity people who contribute to the mess and when challenged begin to attempt to justify their actions or inactions.
u make my point. you will only ever recruit from the stock.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by illusion2: 9:15pm On Sep 07, 2009
Afam:

@ Afam,I like your boldness & some of your views. Insisting on NOT paying bribes is the way to go. . . but arguing or trying to prove a point with an illiterate policeman who has absolutely no positive prognosis of the future,is pure madness !!

Do you know 80% of the really horrible armed robbery are committed by or in connivance with 'policemen'?

Believe me its not worth it,your death (God forbid) may be worth it in a reasonable country that values the life of every individual,I dnt need to tell you all the people that have been shot 'accidentally' or framed as armed robbers resisting arrest. . . .after they died what happened Look Nigeria isn't worth it for now. . . . . The policemen you are talking with have NOTHING going for them-NOTHING,poor pay,no training etc, please to the poster & everyone ,do all u can to avoid these mad people.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Goldmind1(m): 2:12pm On Sep 08, 2009
Nigeria looks impossible as a progressive nation. Honestly we are just bitting about the bush. Corrupt leaders, corrupt security network yet we are calling on foreign investors.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by illusion2: 2:44pm On Sep 08, 2009
Gold-mind:

Nigeria looks impossible as a progressive nation. Honestly we are just bitting about the bush. Corrupt leaders, corrupt security network yet we are calling on foreign investors.
There's a popular proverb from my part of town. . . it translates literaly as " two people in a dialogue cannot be deceived by lies;either the person telling the lie knows its a lie,or the person hearing the lie,will know its a lie",

Even if our shallow leaders don't know they are lying about the state of affairs,the 'foreign investor' knows what is happening.
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Ibime(m): 2:58pm On Sep 08, 2009
asha 80:

The problem is when trying to enforce your rights to the police they may not be in the right frame of mind or they maybe on a 'different level'

hehehehehehe. . . . .you hit the nail on the head hombre. . . . it is not my portion to argue my rights with silverback gorrillas whose cognitive functions have been affected by an afternoon of downing shack at Mama Busolas roadside bar. . . .

Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 08, 2009
Go straight to Punch newspapers with your story!
Re: Nigerians Please Read This: by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 09, 2009
Nigerians, we should admits and adjust or stop this corruption mind. i remember when I travel to South Africa last month and i saw a lots of things over there. in common Ghana people move with deference laptops in the street, beach or resort center and know body, not even police that challenge me throughout my stays in those country.
The facts, is that Nigerians is corrupt. Before someone will believe that Nigeria is corrupt with bad elements of people. I wish Nigerians check out South Africa or some reasonable Africa country to see what I am talking about.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senate Approves Dantosho As Chief Judge Of Federal High Court / Qaddafi Is A Mad Man - Sen. David Mark / What If Those Who Believe In Jonathan Are Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.