Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,893 members, 7,942,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 03:15 AM

You Should Not Be Caught In These If You Are Job Hunting - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / You Should Not Be Caught In These If You Are Job Hunting (588 Views)

The Antelope My Trap Caught In Akwa Ibom (Photos) / Huge Python Caught In Owerri, Butchered In Front Of Children (Photos) / See The Monitor Lizard Caught In My Area This Morning (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

You Should Not Be Caught In These If You Are Job Hunting by aprokomania(m): 5:28pm On Jun 30, 2016
If you are a part of the 50% of Nigeria's youth that are currently unemployed, you probably have had to walk days under the unforgiving Lagos sun (and sometimes rain) to submit your CV at various organizations. However, there are some unwritten clothing rules you ought to keep in mind as you go on your job hunting spree.
1 Shoes- This is a particular area you have to look into properly. For ladies, high heels above three inches are a no no. This should be a no brainer. Consider that you have to walk far distances to submit your C Vs, any flat sole would do. For men, don't under any circumstance consider wearing suede shoes. Your best friend should be anything that can easily be cleaned with a wet rag. Remember that your shoes are the first thing people notice about you. You don't know that if you get an impromptu interview, it would totally kill your vibes if you come in looking like you used your feet to sweep the Sahara. I had a friend who went to submit her Résumé at a publishing house. She made the mistake of wearing six inch stilettos despite repeated warnings from me. She came back less than an hour later looking quite ruffled and told me she had been pursued relentlessly by the companies Mastiff; a terrible animal she told me resembled a cross between the devil and an Indian wolf. How she scaled the fence with her shoes intact is still a story she has not been able to tell me.
3 Clothes – Here you have to be able to strike a balance between comfort and functionality. I mean, it is difficult enough dressing in a way that gives you the leeway to walk round VI (seriously why are there no Molues in most parts of VI?), and yet, gives you enough respect to walk through the gates of most establishments, but when you have to do it repeatedly daily, that is pure torture. Another friend of mine learned the hard way when he decided to wear his prized suit on a job hunting spree. Walking under the blistering heat for hours left him sweating like a bleeding water bottle. That was when he decided that it was the best time to submit his CV at the headquarters of a bank in Marina. Somehow, it seemed the fates were playing a fast one on him and he was allowed in through the outer gate. He could hardly believe his luck as most of his previous hunts had him dropping his papers at the gateman’s office. It was while he was trying to navigate his way through the revolving doors that a bevy of ladies decided to come in from the opposite direction, laughing and chatting away. They were all dressed up to the nines, obviously workers in the bank, and the combined aroma of their perfume was “ visible” from miles away. As they came closer to him, the chattering on their lips dried as they looked at him in pure disgust, wrinkling their noses as if a dehydrated corpse escaped the mortuary and came to do some transactions. They went past him as quick as their stilettos would allow, making sure they stayed as far from him as humanly possible, while making a beeline for the doors. Needless to say, that was the end of his job sojourn for that day. Now, he just wears a T-shirt and jean whenever he goes out job hunting.
4 Hairstyling- Ladies, this is not the best time to wear that your expensive weavon or to try out that new braiding that just hit town. It would be much better if you keep it as simple as possible. I know it may feel extremely good to have yourself being the cynosure of all eyes due to your beautiful hairdo, but when you have to keep up the hair maintenance everyday (usually on no income, or you would not be looking for a job now would you?), the combined package of sweat, hair oils, sheer frustration and anger will be enough to tangle your beautiful hair into dreadlocks; not the nice one- the stinky one mostly carried around by individuals who have had lots of years being insane. Guys, just get a low-cut, when you get that job, you can display your inner Burna Boy and Korede Bello.
3 Must haves’- Handkerchiefs; especially if you are the sweaty type, make up kit; for the ladies, a big comfortable bag to hold all your CVs and a host of items you will carry, Vaseline; your lips will surely get dry after asking around Lagos for a job, change; in Tens and Twenties preferably for those moments when you really need to buy a sachet of water to avoid your voice sounding like a croak, baseball hat; it gets sunny you know? And of course an old trusty torchlight phone; not only to keep in touch with friends and family, but to know when its four o’clock so you can stop wasting any more time and get back home, so you can strategize better for another day of job hunting.

http://www.hoomadeit.com/2016/06/you-should-not-be-caught-in-these-if.html?m=1
Re: You Should Not Be Caught In These If You Are Job Hunting by aprokomania(m): 5:31pm On Jun 30, 2016
this article was obtained with permission from www.hoomadeit.com . for more articles like this, visit www.hoomadeit.com.

(1) (Reply)

Obama’s Brother Announces He Will Vote For Trump / 4 Things You Should NEVER Do In A Nigerian Beer Parlor…must Read / Pmb Must Arrest Ango Abdullah As An Anti Nigeria Advocate Agent For Treason

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.