Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,409 members, 7,891,793 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 07:18 PM

Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. (1265 Views)

"How We Stopped Buhari From Coming To Enugu" – IPOB / "Oloibiri" Where Nigeria's Crude Oil Was 1st Discovered And Drilled(photos) / Foreign Refineries To Stop Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil Due To NDA Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. by sdindan: 10:28am On Jul 04, 2016
The U.S. Ambassador to Nigeria, James Entwistle, has said that there is no hidden agenda behind his country’s decision to stop crude oil purchase from Nigeria.

Mr. Entwistle said this while fielding questions from journalists at the 240th Anniversary of the U.S. Independence in Abuja.

The envoy said the price of oil was determined by the international market and that the desire of every business person was to get the best product at the best price.

“There is no conspiracy for the U.S. not to buy oil from Nigeria.

“Price of oil is determined by international market and business people go to get the best product for the best price. That something happened to us with oil.

“But I wish you listened to my last statement where I talked about the importance of the private sector, the commitment of the U.S. companies to help build this country (Nigeria),” he said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the U.S. had in 2014 stopped the importation of crude oil from Nigeria, a development that was tied to the discovery of Shale oil and gas in commercial quantity in the country.

The Minister of State for Petroleum, Ibe Kachikwu, recently said the U.S. would soon resume the importation of crude oil from Nigeria.
He said the rekindled relationship was a direct fallout of President Muhammadu Buhari’s visit to the US in July this year.

The minister, however, did not reveal the details of the development but said the U.S. had indicated its interest in buying “very limited” quantities of Nigeria’s crude.

Mr. Entwistle urged the Muhammadu Buhari-led government to create an environment that would attract more foreign investment into the country as a way of revamping the nation’s economy.

“I am not much of an economist but I think the government is starting in the right direction.

“Things like fuel subsidy, exchange rate will continue to create an environment that is welcoming to foreign investment.
“Some of the biggest U.S. companies in the world are here, they’ve been here for decades, they are happy. So it’s better to maintain an environment that will attract more foreign investment,” he said. (NAN)

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/business/206380-stopped-buying-nigerias-crude-oil-u-s.html

1 Like

Re: Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. by gomzy121: 10:30am On Jul 04, 2016
fair enough

1 Like

Re: Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. by dunkem21(m): 10:33am On Jul 04, 2016
The less you look, the more you see grin
Re: Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. by chido20(m): 10:34am On Jul 04, 2016
if only the ZOO will still think of another internal revenue...
Re: Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. by Trut(m): 10:35am On Jul 04, 2016
I thought zombies said that US have resumed to buy crude oil from Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. by Mario1989(m): 11:14am On Jul 04, 2016
Hmnn. China is an alternative market
Re: Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 04, 2016
Amazing clarification.....great decision shocked
Re: Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. by Litmus: 12:12pm On Jul 04, 2016
“But I wish you listened to my last statement where I talked about the importance of the private sector, the commitment of the U.S. companies to help build this country (Nigeria),” he said.

The part played by Nigerians in the private sector wont achieve full potential so long as Nigerian politicians exploit ordinary people in order to fulfill their political ambitions. The politicians need the people to see tribal marginalization and exploitation in place of the opportunity which abounds in Nigeria.
Re: Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. by dahunsy(f): 12:20pm On Jul 04, 2016
Coughs*** clear throat# if i talk again ....these dog eaters ...sorry akwa ibom people would call for my ban again
Re: Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jul 04, 2016
Must you sell oil ?
Re: Why We Stopped Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil — U.S. by MrEverest(m): 12:48pm On Jul 04, 2016
Do we even have enough to sell, with the way NDA is bombing pipelines, Nigeria might even start to import crude oil to refine.

(1) (Reply)

How $50bn Stolen Crude From Nigeria Found Its Way To Refineries In Europe, Us / Is Nigeria So Poor That They Cant Sponsor Athletes To Olympics? / Photos/video Militants Playing Ball On Benin - Lagos Expressway To Cause Hold Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.