Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,176 members, 7,973,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 12:05 PM

Stories Behind Great Hymns - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stories Behind Great Hymns (26938 Views)

Stories Behind Great Hymns.... .pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior / Stories Behind Great Hymns ....are You Washed In The Blood? / Soul Lifting Hymns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 6:29pm On Jul 08, 2016
26. CROWN HIM WITH MANY CROWNS

This worshipful text is the combined effort of two distinguished Anglican clergymen, each of whom desired to write a hymn of exaltation to our suffering but now victorious Lord.

Matthew Bridges' version first appeared in 1851 with six stanzas. Twenty-three years later Godfrey Thring wrote six additional stanzas, which appeared in his collection Hymns and Sacred Lyrics. The hymn's present forrn includes stanzas one, two, and four by Bridges and the third verse by Thring.

Each crown in this hymn text exalts Christ for some specific aspect of His person or ministry

(1)   Stanza one for His eternal Kingship;

(2)   stanza two for His love demonstrated in redemptive suffering; (

(3)   stanza three for His victorious resurrection and ascension, and

(4)   stanza four as a member of the Triune Godhead ever worthy of worship and praise.

The tune, Diadernata (the Greek word for crowns), was composed especially for this text by George Elvey, a noted organist at St. George's Chapel in Windsor, England, where British royalty often attend.

++++++++++

Crown Him With Many Crowns,

(1) Crown Him with many crowns,

The Lamb upon His throne:

Hark! how the heavenly anthem drowns

All music but its own!

Awake, my soul, and sing

Of Him who died for thee;

And hail Him as thy matchless King

Through all eternity.

(2) Crown Him the Lord of love:

Behold His hands and side,

Rich wounds, yet visible above,

In beautiful glorified;

No angel in the sky

Can fully bear that sight,

But downward bends His wondering eye

At mysteries so bright.

(3) Crown Him the Lord of life:

Who triumphed o'er the grave,

Who rose victorious to the strife

For those He came to save;

His glories now we sing,

Who died and rose on high.

Who died eternal life to bring,

And lives that death may die.

(4) Crown Him the Lord of heaven:

One with the Father known,

One with the Spirit through Him given

From yonder glorious throne.

To Thee be endless praise,

For Thou for us hast died;

Be Thou, O Lord, through endless days

Adored and magnified.

(5) Crown Him the Lord of years:

The potentate of time,

Creator of the rolling spheres,

Ineffably sublime.

All hail, Redeemer, hail!

For Thou hast died for me,

Thy praise and glory shall not fail

Throughout eternity.

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 6:34pm On Jul 08, 2016
27. DAY BY DAY

The waves of revival that swept the Scandinavian countries during the latter half of the nineteenth century were greatly influenced by the wealth of fine hymns which flowed from the pen of Lina Sandell.

Born on October 3, 1832, in Sweden, Lina was a daughter of a pastor. When she was twenty-six years of age, she accompanied her father on a journey to Gothenburg, but tragedy occurred before the destination was reached. The ship gave a sudden lurch and Linas father fell overboard, and drowned before the eyes of his devoted daughter.

Soon many songs began to flow out of her broken heart.  Her songs reflect a simple child-like trust in Christ, and deep sense of His abiding presence in her life, including Day By Day.

++++++++++

Day By Day

(1) Day by day and with each passing moment,

Strength I find to meet my trials here;

Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,

I've no cause for worry or for fear.

He whose heart is kind beyond all measure

Gives unto each day what He deems best-

Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,

Mingling toil with peace and rest.

(2) Every day the Lord Himself is near me

With a special mercy for each hour;

All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me.

He whose name is Counselor and power.

The protection of His child and treasure

Is a charge that on Himself He laid;

"As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,"

This the pledge to me he made.

(3) Help me then in every tribulation

So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,

That I lose not faith's sweet consolation

Offered me within Thy holy word.

Help me Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,

E'er to take, as from a father's hand,

One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,

'Til I reach the promised land.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 6:41pm On Jul 08, 2016
28. DOES JESUS CARE?

Frank E. Graeff was a minister in the Methodist denomination and served some of its leading churches, in the Philadelphia Conference. Throughout the district, he was known as the sunshine minister.

In spite of his outwardly-cheery disposition and winsome personality, Graeff was often called upon to go through severe testing experiences in his life.

It was while passing through such a test and experiencing severe despondency, doubt and physical agony, that Mr. Graeff wrote this hymn, Does Jesus Care?

Rev. Graeff turned to the Scriptures for solace and strength. First Peter 5:7 became especially meaningful to him during this particular struggle: Casting all your care upon Him; for He careth for you.

The phrase, He careth for you, spoke deeply to his need. To experience times of questions and even doubts regarding the nearness of God, as Frank Graeff did in the verses of this hymn, is only human and normal. But it is only as a believer comes through such a struggle, with the firm conviction in the chorus of this hymnO yes He cares, I know He caresthat a child of God can be truly victorious.

++++++++++

Does Jesus Care

(1) Does Jesus care when my heart is pained

Too deeply for mirth and song-

As the burdens press, and the cares distress,

And the way grows weary and long?

CHORUS: O yes, He care- I know He cares!

His heart is touched with my grief;

When the days are weary, the long nights dreary,

I know my Savior cares.

(2) Does Jesus care when my way is dark

With a nameless dread and fear?

As the daylight fades into deep night shades,

Does He care enough to be near?

(3) Does Jesus care when I've tried and failed

To resist some temptation strong?

When for my deep grief I find no relief,

Tho my tears flow all the night long?

(4) Does Jesus care when I've said good-bye

To the dearest on earth to me,

And my sad heart aches till it nearly breaks-

Is it aught to Him? does He see?

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 6:44pm On Jul 08, 2016
29. DOXOLOGY

Nearly every English­ speaking Protestant congregation unites at least once each Sunday in this noble overture of praise. 

It has been said that the Doxology has done more to teach the doctrine of the Trinity than all the theology books ever written.

The author of this text was a bold, outspoken 17th century Anglican bishop named Thomas Ken.  Ken's illustrious career in the ministry was stormy and colorful. He served for a time as the English chaplain at the royal court in the Hague, Holland. He was so outspoken, however, in denouncing the corrupt lives of those in authority at the Dutch capital that he was compelled to leave after a short stay.

Upon his return to England, he was appointed by King Charles 11 to be one of his chaplains. Ken continued to reveal the same spirit of boldness in rebuking the moral sins of his dissolute English monarch. Despite this, Charles always admired his courageous chaplain, calling him the good little man.

--Kenneth W. Osbeck

++++++++++

Doxology

Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;

Praise Him, all creatures here below;

Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;

Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

3 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 6:47pm On Jul 08, 2016
30. EACH STEP I TAKE

Mother, that is a beautiful song. Lets write to America and get a copy.

Those were the words of a young lad in the Philippine Islands in 1962 as he listened with his mother to the Lutheran Gospel Hour. His mother had recently become a Christian and was being ridiculed for her newfound faith in Christ by her husband and an older teenage son.

On this particular morning, a soloist on the radio program sang Each Step I Take, an unusual song written by Elmo Mercer.

The letter was soon on its way to the United States. And soon the musical composition had arrived. Having a copy of the song in hand made it even more precious to the young man. In fact, he and his father were both converted as a result of having the song sheet, and the young lad later went on to study for the gospel ministry in Manila.

Each Step I Take came during a dark period in the life of young Elmo Mercer. This song was the result of expressing exactly what he felt in his heart at the time. His mom and dad had brought him up in church and he had learned the Scriptures very early.

Mercer has gone on to write more than one thousand songs, many of which have blessed the hearts of millions of people. His sincere desire is to be of service to Christ through the ministry of sacred songs.

Lindsay Terry

++++++++++

Each Step I Take

Each step I take my Savior goes before me,

And with His loving hand He leads the way,

And with each breath I whisper I adore Thee,

Oh, what joy to walk with Him each day.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 6:54pm On Jul 08, 2016
31. FACE TO FACE

A pastor, his wife, and Grant Tullar had made their last call on the sick one afternoon in 1898. They hurried to their home, wanting to have a bit of supper together before going to an evangelistic meetings. Tullar was assisting in those revival services.

In their hurry to get supper on the table, someone failed to fill the jelly dish. There was only a small bite left. The pastor and his wife knew that Tullar was very fond of the jelly, so they both refused it.

As the dish was passed toTullar, he exclaimed, So this is all for me, is it?

Suddenly, the thought occurred to Tullar that All for Me was a good title for a song.

He placed the jelly dish back on the table and immediately excused himself, went to the piano, and composed a melody and wrote several verses.

Before going to bed that evening, Tullar promised the pastor and his wife that he would revise the work somewhat. He never did, because the next morning the postman brought to him a letter from a lady, Mrs. Frank A. Beck. Enclosed were several poems. After reading the very first poem, he became suddenly aware that it exactly fitted the music that he had written the night before and entitled Face to Face.

This song has won the hearts of thousands of people around the world because it so wonderfully speaks of our anticipation in seeing Christ one day, face to face.

Lindsay Terry

++++++++++

Face To Face

(1) Face to face with Christ my Savior,

Face to face-what will it be-

When with rapture I behold Him,

Jesus Christ who died for me?

(2) Face to face I shall behold Him,

Far beyond the starry sky;

Face to face in all His glory,

I shall see Him by and by!

(3) Only faintly now I see Him,

With the darkened veil between,

But a blessed day is coming

When His glory shall be seen.

(4) What rejoicing in His presence

When are banished grief and pain,

When the crooked ways are straightened

And the dark things shall be plain.

(5) Face to face! O blissful moment!

Face to face- to see and know;

Face to face with my Redeemer,

Jesus Christ who loves me so.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 7:02pm On Jul 08, 2016
32. FAIREST LORD JESUS

Little is known of the origin of this cherished hymn. Associated with it are several popular legends which cannot always be substantiated by research.

One of the best-known accounts is that it was called the Crusaders Hymn. Some think that it was sung by the twelfth century German Crusaders, especially by their children, as they made their long and wearisome trek to the Holy Land.

The English adaptation of this hymn was by Richard Storrs Willis, born in Boston, Massachusetts. It is interesting to note that in this collection a notation about the origin of the hymn is made, stating that it was sung by the German knights on the way to Jerusalem.

This statement undoubtedly did much to foster and popularize the Crusader account.

++++++++++

Fairest Lord Jesus

(1) Fairest Lord Jesus, Ruler of all nature,

O Thou of God and man the Son:

Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor,

Thou my soul's glory, joy, and crown.

(2) Fair are the meadows, Fairer still the woodlands,

Robed in the blooming garb of spring:

jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,

Who makes the woeful heart to sing.

(3) Fair is the sunshine, Fairer still the moonlight,

And all the twinkling starry host:

Jesus shines brights, Jesus shines purer

Than all the angels heaven can boast.

(4) Beautiful Savior! Lord of the nations!

Son of God and Son of Man!

Glory and honor, Praise, adoration,

Now and forevermore be Thine!
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 7:32am On Jul 09, 2016
33. FAITH OF OUR FATHERS

The history of the Christian faith is a rich heritage of countless people whose faith in God was considered more dear than life itself.  The three stanzas found in our hymnals are very usable for evangelical worship. These can be reinterpreted to challenge our commitment, and loyalty to the gospel that our spiritual fathers often died to defend

The faith of our fathers referred to in this hymn, however, is the faith of the martyred leaders of the Roman Catholic church during the 16th century.

++++++++++

Faith Of Our Fathers

(1) Faith of our fathers, living still

In spite of dungeon, fire, and sword,

O how our hearts beat high with joy

When-e'er we hear that glorious word!

Faith of our fathers, holy faith,

We will be true to thee 'til death.

(2) Faith of our fathers, God's great power

Shall win all nations unto thee,

And through the truth that comes from God

Mankind shall then indeed be free.

(3) Faith of our fathers, we will love

Both friend and foe in all our strife,

And preach thee too as love knows how,

By kindly words and virtuous life.

2 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 7:38am On Jul 09, 2016
34. FAMILY OF GOD

Bill and Gloria Gaither are faithful members of a local church in Alexandria, Indiana, and the church body is very dear to them. A young family in their congregation, Ron and Darlene Garner and their three children, inspired the writing of the Gaithers song The Family of God.

As Gloria tells it:

It was the Saturday after Good Friday that Ron went in for work at the garage where he was serving as a mechanic. He was making up time that he had taken off the previous Thursday to take his little daughter for some tests prior to some anticipated heart surgery.

While Ron was working with combustible material, there was an explosion. He managed to crash his way through the large double doors before the building blew apart and went up in flames, but he was severely burned over most of his body.

Ron was alive but was not expected to make it through the night. Within minutes a chain of telephone calls alerted the family of God, and the whole church began to pray for Ron. Little groups, bigger groups, in homes, at the church, over the phone.

The church building was kept open, and lights burned all through the night as a steady stream of folks who cared and loved came to talk to Jesus about this young father.

Easter morning the sun rose on a sanctuary filled with a bleary-eyed congregation. The pastor came in with a report from the hospital. Ron has outlived the deadline. The doctor says he has a chance.

For the Body of Christ, that news was better than eight hours of sleep and a good breakfast. New life was infused into us all. Tears of praise and joy began to flow, and our hope and gratitude poured itself into the glorious songs of Easter. Jesus lives, and because He lives, we too shall live!

With the words of victory we pledged ourselves to what would lie ahead: help with the children, many long trips to the hospital, blood for transfusions, money, mealslong months of support while the healing process went on.

On our way home from church that morning Bill and I were so full of the beauty of it all that we could hardly speak. Finally, we said to each other what we had come to realize through all this: Theyd do that for us, too!

It was almost too good to realize, but it was true! We arent very model church members. The function we fill in the Body of Christ takes us away from a lot of the activities of our congregation. Were never available on Fridays and Saturdays. We arrive early on Sunday mornings to get our children to their Sunday school and church, but we cant be counted to teach a class with a schedule like that.

But theyd do the same thing for us if we were the part of the Body that was suffering! Not because we were worthy or had earned special treatment or were indispensablebut just because we were a part of the Family of God!

As I started dinner, Bill sat down at the piano. It wasnt long before the magnetism of the chorus Bill was singing drew me from the kitchen to the piano, and we finished the song that was to feed us better than any other food.

Lindsay Terry

++++++++++

The Family of God

(1) I'm so glad I'm a part

of the family of God-

I've been washed in the fountain,

cleansed by His blood!

Joint heirs with Jesus

as we travel this sod,

For I'm part of the family,

the family of God.

(2) You will notice we say "brother

and sister" 'round here-

It's because we're a family

and these folks are so near;

When one has a heartache

we all share the tears,

And rejoice in each victory

In this family so dear.

(3) From the door of an orphanage

to the house of the King-

No longer an outcast,

a new song I sing;

From rags unto riches,

from the weak to the strong,

I'm not worthy to be here,

But, praise God, I belong!

2 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 6:37pm On Jul 09, 2016
35. FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT

This stirring hymn was written by John Samuel Bewley Monsell, LL. D., who was born at St. Coumbs, Londonderry, Ireland, March 2, 1811.

He died on April 9, 1875, at Guildford, England, where he fell from the roof of his church, which was being rebuilt

All of Dr. Monsells hymns are full of beauty and expression.

This hymn was first printed in 1863, and was entitled The Fight of Faith.

++++++++++

Fight the Good Fight with All Thy Might[1]

1           Fight the good fight with all Thy might,

Christ is Thy strength and Christ Thy right;

Lay hold on life, and it shall be

Thy joy and crown eternally.

2           Run the straight race through Gods good grace,

Lift up Thine eyes and seek His face;

Life with its way before us lies,

Christ is the path and Christ the prize.

Cast care aside, lean on Thy guide;

His boundless mercy will provide;

Trust, and Thy trusting soul shall through Christ

Is its life and Christ its love.

Faint not nor fear, His arms are near;

He changeth not, and Thou art dear;

Only believe, and Thou shalt see

That Christ is all in all to Thee.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 10:22pm On Jul 09, 2016
36. FILL MY CUP, LORD

Life was never to be a bed of roses for Richard Blanchard.

A severe lung problem developed, and Blanchard was left with one-third of his lung capacity. But a diminished physical well-being did not stop young Blanchard.

In 1953, he became the pastor of a church in Coral Gables, Florida, and one day, was asked by a young couple to perform their marriage ceremony. However, the couple was quite late for their counseling appointment.

Blanchard told his secretary, I will wait for thirty minutes and Im leaving. He then went to a nearby Sunday school room and sat down to play the piano for a while.

He later said, When I was not in the mood to be used of God, God was in a mood to use me. In less than thirty-minutes, as he waited for the young couple, God gave him the inspiring song Fill My Cup, Lord.

As Richard Blanchard looks back over his life, he declares even though God chose in his providence to impair my physical being, he has in so many other ways Filld My Cup. 

++++++++++

Fill My Cup, Lord

(1) Like the woman at the well I was seeking

For things that could not satisfy;

And then I heard my Savior speaking:

"Draw from My well that never shall run dry."

CHORUS: Fill my cup, Lord, I lift it up, Lord!

Come and quench this thirsting of my soul;

Bread of heaven, feed me 'til I want no more-

Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole!

(2) There are millions in this world who are craving

The pleasure earthly things afford;

But none can match the wondrous treasure

That I find in Jesus Christ my Lord.

(3) So, my brother, if the things this world gave you

Leave hungers that won't pass away,

My blessed Lord will come and save you,

If you kneel to Him and humbly pray:

3 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 10:29pm On Jul 09, 2016
37. FOR THE BEAUTY OF THE EARTH

This beautiful summer hymn, full of the spirit of field and forest, was written by Folliott Sandford Pierpoint, about whose life we can learn little.

He was born in Bath, England, October 7, 1835, and obtained his education at Queens College in Cambridge University, graduating with classical honors in 1871. 

He published several volumes of poems, but his work is best known by this hymn, which appeared in 1864.  It has been changed in many lines, but the following is perhaps the best version.

Amos R. Wells

++++++++++

For the Beauty of the Earth[1]

1           For the beauty of the earth,

For the glory of the skies,

For the love which from our birth

Over and around us lies;

Chorus  Lord of all, to Thee we raise

This our hymn of grateful praise.

2           For the wonder of each hour

Of the day and of the night,

Hill and vale and tree and flowr,

Sun and moon, and stars of light:

3           For the joy of human love,

Brother, sister, parent, child,

Friends on earth and friends above,

For all gentle thoughts and mild:

4           For the church that evermore

Lifteth holy hands above,

Offring up on evry shore

Her pure sacrifice of love:

5           For the joy of ear and eye,

For the heart and minds delight,

For the mystic harmony

Linking sense to sound and sight:

6           For thyself, best Gift Divine!

To our race so freely givn;

For that great, great love of Thine,

Peace on earth, and joy in heavn.

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 10:36pm On Jul 09, 2016
38. FROM GREELANDS ICY MOUNTAINS

Write something for us to sing at the service tomorrow morning, Dr. Shepley, vicar of Wrexham, said to his son-in-law, Reginald Heber, in 1819.

Dr. Shepley was to preach next day in behalf of foreign missions, and he was chatting over the subject of his discourse with a few friends. Heber, already known as a writer of verse, withdrew to another part of the room, and soon returned with the first three stanzas of From Greenlands Icy Mountains, just as we sing them now. The only exception: in the seventh line of the second verse he wrote savage, which he afterward changed to heathen.

Dr. Shepley was satisfied, but Heber was not until he added the triumphant fourth stanza, beginning:  Waft, waft, ye winds his story.

In 1823 Heber went as a missionary to India, where he died after three years of patient and loving service.

W. J. Hart

++++++++++

From Greenlands Icy Mountains[1]

1           From Greenlands icy mountains,

From Indias coral strand,

Where Africs sunny fountains

Roll down their golden sand;

From many an ancient river,

From many a palmy plain,

They call us to deliver

Their land from errors chain.

2           What tho the spicy breezes

Blow soft oer Ceylons isle,

Though evry prospect pleases,

And only man is vile!

In vain, with lavish kindness,

The gifts of God are strown;

The heathen, in their blindness,

Bow down to wood and stone.

3           Shall we, whose souls are lighted

With wisdom from on high,

Shall we to men benighted

The lamp of life deny?

Salvation! O salvation!

The joyful sound proclaim,

Till earths remotest nation

Has heard Messiahs name.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 10:44pm On Jul 09, 2016
39. GLORIOUS THINGS OF THEE ARE SPOKEN

None of the Christian hymn-writers has had a history so remarkable as that of John Newton.

Newton was born in London. His mother was a pious woman, who taught him the Catechism and many other good things; but she died when the lad was only six years old.

His father was a sea-captain, and took the boy to sea when he was eleven years old. The young fellow learned to curse and blaspheme, and became very wild. At one time he was force into the navy, and he became a midshipman. But he was very restless and he deserted, was caught, stripped, whipped severely, and degraded to the ranks.

By this time he had become a thorough infidel, and was steeped in all kinds of sin. He fell into the hands of a slave-trade in Africa, and suffered all manner of hardship there, being continually insulted and almost starved. After many strange and hazardous adventures he became a slave-trader himself, and made several voyages to Africa in that shameful occupation.

The reading of Thomas À Kempis, the fearful experiences of a storm at sea in which his ship was almost lost, his deliverance from a severe fever in Africa, these, and other experiences, at last awoke in the sinful man the memories of the religion his mother had taught him. And he turned from his sins with true repentance.

He became a minister of the gospel. This was in 1764, when he was thirty-nine years old. He settled in Olney, England, and there it was that he formed the beautiful friendship with William Cowper which has given to the world so many splendid hymns.

Amos Wells

++++++++++

Glorious Things of Thee are Spoken[1]

1           Glorious things of thee are spoken,

Zion, city of our God!

He whose word cannot be broken,

Formed thee for his own abode:

On the Rock of Ages founded

What can shake thy sure repose?

With salvations walls surrounded,

Thou mayst smile at all thy foes.

2           See, the streams of living waters

Springing from eternal love,

Well supply thy sons and daughters,

And all fear of want remove:

Who can faint, while such a river

Ever flows their thirst tassauge?

Grace, which, like the Lord, the giver,

Never fails from age to age.

3           Round each habitation hovering,

See the cloud and fire appear!

For a glory and a covering,

Showing that the Lord is near:

Thus deriving from their banner

Light by night, and shade by day;

Safe they feed upon the manna,

Which he gives them when they pray.

4           Blest inhabitants of Sion,

Washed in the Redeemers blood!

Jesus, whom their souls rely on,

Makes them kings and priests to God.

Tis his love his people raises

Over self to reign as kings:

And as priests, his solemn praises

Each for a thank-offering brings.

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 10:47pm On Jul 09, 2016
40. GOD BE WITH YOU TILL WE MEET AGAIN

Often we hear someone tell us glibly to have a good day!

Would not a far better farewell for Christians be the loving wish of this hymn textGod be with you?  The added thought of  till we meet again suggests a sincere desire for continued friendship.

The writer of this hymn text, Dr. Jeremiah Rankin, pastored several prominent Congregational churches throughout the East until 1889, when he became president of Howard University, the noted school for the education of black students.

No other hymn except perhaps Blest Be the Tie That Binds has been as widely used as this one as a closing benediction in church services. God Be With You was a favorite in the Moody and Sankey meetings throughout North America and England. 

And still today, no finer farewell can be expressed by Christians to one another as they leave a place of worship than the sincere wish, God be with you till we meet again.

--Kenneth W. Osbeck

++++++++++

God Be with You 'Til We Meet Again

(1)God be with you 'til we meet again,

By His counsels guide, uphold you,

With His sheep securely fold you:

God be with you 'til we meet again.

(2) God be with you 'til we meet again,

'Neath His wings protecting hide you,

Daily manna still provide you:

(3) God be with you 'til we meet again,

If life's trials should confound you,

God will put His arms around you:

(4) God be with you 'til we meet again,

Keep love's banner floating o'er you,

Smite death's threat'ning wave before you:

2 Likes

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 6:31am On Jul 10, 2016
41. GOD LEADS HIS DEAR CHILDREN ALONG

Haldor Lillenas, founder of a noted music-publishing company, made his way to the United States from Scandinavia.

His first years in this country were hard, but a kind lady befriended him and taught him the English language. More importantly, perhaps, she told him the story of Christ and led him to know the Savior in his heart. Many times, she sang to him a comforting song entitled God Leads His Dear Children Along.

Years later, he began thinking about the song that had been so meaningful to him in his youth and decided to find out something about its writer, C.A. Young. He discovered that the songwriter had passed away, but that his widow was living in a nearby town.

Haldor drove out to the little town and found her in a poor house. His excitement mounted as she told him this story:

My husband and I were married while we were very young. God gave us a wonderful life together; he led us from day to day. We had so much of Jesus. But then God took my husband. Now God has led me here, and Im so excited and glad about it! God has used me in this place. Isnt it wonderful that God leads his children day by day and step by step?

Many people come to this place and they are so sad and in such great need. They need help and comfort. I have been able to cheer many of them and lead scores of them to the Lord Jesus Christ. How thankful I am that God has brought me to this place, where I can be of so much help to these people!

Haldor Lillenas was deeply moved by Mrs. Youngs words and excited that he had found more than just a story behind a gospel song. He had found a Christian woman completely surrendered to Gods will for her life.

Lindsay Terry

++++++++++

God Leads Us Along[1]

1           In shady, green pastures, so rich and so sweet.

God leads His dear children along;

Where the waters cool flow bathes the weary ones feet,

God leads His dear children along.

Chorus  Some thro the water, some thro the flood,

Some thro the fire, but all thro the blood;

Some thro great sorrow, but God gives a song,

In the night season and all the day long.

2           Sometimes on the mount where the sun shines so bright,

Sometimes in the valley, in darkest of night,

3           Tho sorrows befall us, and Satan oppose,

Through grace we can conquer, defeat all our foes,

4           Away from the mire, and away from the clay,

Away up in glory, eternitys day,

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by passionate88: 7:59am On Jul 10, 2016
I so much love 'when the role is called up yonder' story. Not a word was removed or added from when the music was being composed till it was completed

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Stanbeto: 8:13am On Jul 10, 2016
I did not see it is well with my soul

1 Like

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Homestic01(m): 8:14am On Jul 10, 2016
God bless you
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Cherishing(f): 8:20am On Jul 10, 2016
greatbrian:
Glory to God for today.

As a christian who loves hymnals, have you ever imagined what led to the writing of that very particular hymn you love to sing so much? Have you gotten an answer? If yes congrats. And if No have got a very good news for you.
I found my faith in christ in a church called THE APOSTOLIC FAITH and due to my love for hymns, have decided to paste the story behind all the hymns you can ever think of. I rili wish and believe this will have effect on our spiritual edification, and save a lost soul as grace found and saved me.

Please due to where I am, I might not paste everythings ones but I promise to do my best. God bless us all

Why not provide source and give credit to the post than C&P
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by fippycbk(m): 8:21am On Jul 10, 2016
It is well with my soul. Love the story behind that one.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Drsheddy(m): 8:23am On Jul 10, 2016
He hideth my soul in the helm's of His love
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by sarutobie(m): 8:23am On Jul 10, 2016
"count your blessings".......the experience when a Christian is communing with the Creator, is one of total expression and liberty...
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 10, 2016
Thank you my brother you have made me see through others.I am revived
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by egedege1(m): 8:28am On Jul 10, 2016
Op are u an Advent?
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Femmyfamous4u(m): 8:50am On Jul 10, 2016
these hymns couldn't have come a better time than now for me. i'm a corp member currently serving in taraba state, the interior part for that matter. i have missed my lovely hymns. you just got me singing for almost an hour now. please kindly post 'it is well with my soul' as someone suggested and more hymns too.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Mskrisx(f): 9:00am On Jul 10, 2016
I love this
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by joowealth(m): 9:02am On Jul 10, 2016
hmmn! nice. loves hymns.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by Patenina(m): 9:03am On Jul 10, 2016
greatbrian:
15. BE THE TIE THAT BINDS

At the age of 16, John Fawcett and his new bride Mary, began their ministry at an impoverished Baptist church in Wainsgate. 

After seven years of devoted service in meager circumstances, they received a call to the large and influential Carters Lane Baptist Church in London. They decided to move.

After the wagons were loaded for the move, the Fawcetts met their tearful parishioners for a final farewell. 

John, I cannot bear to leave, cried Mrs. Fawcett. 

Nor can I, said the saddened pastor.  We shall remain here with our people.

The order was given to unload the wagons. 

The following Sunday, John Fawcett preached from Luke 12:15, A mans life consists not in the abundance of the things he possesses. 

He closed his sermon by reading his new song: Brotherly Love.

And John and Mary Fawcett carried on their faithful ministry in the little village of Wainsgate for 54 years.  Their salary was estimated to be never more than the equivalent of $200 a year.

++++++++++

Blest Be The Tie That Binds

(1)Blest be the tie that binds

Our hearts in Christian love;

The fellowship of kindred minds

Is like to that above.

(2) Before our Father's throne

We pour our ardent prayers;

Our fears, our hopes, our aims are one,

Our comforts and our cares.

(3) We share each other's woes,

Each other's burdens bear;

And often for each other flows

The sympathizing tear.

(4) From sorrow, toil, and pain,

And sin we shall be free;

And perfect love and joy shall reign

Through all eternity.

This Hymn must be played on my Wedding day.
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 9:10am On Jul 10, 2016
Patenina:
This Hymn must be played on my Wedding day.

Amen bro
Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by greatbrian(m): 9:13am On Jul 10, 2016
Cherishing:

Why not provide source and give credit to the post than C&P

I didn't get the hymnals from one particular source. And actually if you read it well and not skim over it, at the end of each story, u will see the name of the provider of the story. Eg W OSBECk.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stories Behind Great Hymns by blank(f): 9:21am On Jul 10, 2016

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prophet Genesis Refuses Offering From Church Members Because Of Naira Crisis / Pastor Adeboye Prays For Leah Sharibu / Throwback Photos Of Pastor Kumuyi As He Turns 75

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.