Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,365 members, 7,920,374 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 05:17 AM

Gani's Death And The Lessons For Nigerian Youths. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gani's Death And The Lessons For Nigerian Youths. (631 Views)

Abacha's Death And The Tale Of Two Indian Prostitutes (snapshot) / Gani Adams Reveals That 85% Of Lagosians Want Jonathan / The 7 Characteristics Of An Eagle And Why They Are Lessons For Good Leadership (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gani's Death And The Lessons For Nigerian Youths. by smogville(m): 2:54pm On Sep 08, 2009
Recently the great legal luminary and human rights activist Gani Fawehinmi passed on. I watched on television and on the various Nigerian dailies, how friends and foes alike eulogized this great Nigerian. Growing up as a young boy, I saw as many Nigerians praised Gani for what he was doing at that time to stand up against the various military and civilian governments for the misrule of our dear nation. I also saw how many hated him or loved to hate him and called him names such as activist and so on. They thought of felt that he was too outspoken or he was too forward. Some said “Is he the only one?”, Why is he acting like he is the only Nigerian that is affected by the situation or if he is the only one who is learned to speak on behalf of Nigerians?

One of the many battles Gani fought in his lifetime was the battle against the annulment of the June 12, 1993 election. In fighting this battle, he was opposed to the then self acclaimed military president ibrahim Badamosi Babangida. One of the most outstanding comments that shocked me after the death of Gani is the comment of IBB. IBB, one of the men that Gani was always opposing said that, Gani is a man that he respects, and that during his him as military president, anytime they want to make decisions, they always thought about what comments people like Gani will make about such decisions. He also said that Gani would criticize you based on the law and not on sentiments. These comments struck me to think, what will I be remembered for?
You alone can determine what you will be remembred for.

(1) (Reply)

Exam 101 / It Is On Media Reporting And The Crisis In The Banking Sector / Which Best Explains Nigeria's Current State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.