Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,814 members, 7,872,707 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 08:23 PM

Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum (4862 Views)

Diamond Bank Set To Sack Managers - Ebubechukwu Ibecheozor / How Lucrative Is Environmental Toxicology In Nigeria? / EcoBank Sacks 50 Top Managers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jul 05, 2016
Hello Doctors of the Earth and Nature.

Hello friend of mother nature.

For some reason, I have not seen any thread/topic on this noble profession and it's various main Disciplines and sub disciplines. If it exists I would have loved to resurrect the old topic. But I did not find any so I am opening this.

Where are the doctors of the earth and friends of mother nature? Do we have you in the house? From Ecology and Conservation, Botany, Environmental Technology, Environmental Geologists, Geography and Environmental Management, Geomorphologists,Plant Sciences, Animal and Environmental Biology, Environmental Chemistry and Toxicology, Fisheries, Zoology, Soil Scientists, Microbiologist, Sedimentologists, Paleontologists, Environmental/Natural Resource Engineers and Managers, Town/Urban/Regional Planning, Landscaping and Horticulture etc. etc. Where are you all at?

Prospective students, current students, fresh graduates, experienced professionals (both home and abroad), those who are practicing, how are you finding practicing in Nigeria?

What are the challenges? What future lies ahead for this profession? How effective has NES being? What is the outlook towards Chartering the profession as initially proposed?

Let us meet here and further develop and expand our network through this medium.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 7:08am On Jul 06, 2016
Geography/Planning!!
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 06, 2016
1acre:
Geography/Planning!!

Good morning.

Nice. Which University and How far gone?

Or you are practicing now?
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 06, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:

Good morning.

That's y Im here, I want to go back to my roots .Strayed to HR,8 years now.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 06, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:

Good morning.

That's y Im here, I want to go back to my roots .Strayed to HR,8 years now
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by segzysexy(m): 9:59am On Jul 07, 2016
[quote author=AnakinSkywalker post=47251572]

Good morning.

Or you are practicing now? I am a graduate of water resources and environmental engineering currently on my masters in the same field. Good work for creating a nice thread for environmental scientists.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 07, 2016
^^^^

Water Resource Engineering?

Nice once.

I still recall our basic water treatment and distribution classes. Hydraulics and Fluid Dynamics and the application of Henry Darcy's Law. Terrible Terrible Courses. cheesy cheesy. Were very useful in model building.

It was quite interesting. "Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink".

Are you studying in Nigeria?
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by segzysexy(m): 10:59am On Jul 07, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:
^^^^

Water Resource Engineering?

Nice once.

I still recall our basic water treatment and distribution classes. Hydraulics and Fluid Dynamics and the application of Henry Darcy's Law. Terrible Terrible Courses. cheesy cheesy. Were very useful in model building.

It was quite interesting. "Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink".

Are you studying in Nigeria?
we have water in the country but the problem is mismanagement of the nation's water resources. Yes I graduated from ABUZaria and currently doing my masters in BUK Kano. By the way which course did u read under environment that you did much of fluid mechanics and hydraulics
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Viktor1983(m): 11:35am On Jul 07, 2016
Environmental and resource management student here! How are you all doing?
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by ADEWALE7777: 3:53pm On Jul 07, 2016
Geography..a recent graduate awaiting NYSC...would like to go into hydrology

2 Likes

Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jul 07, 2016
ADEWALE7777:
Geography..a recent graduate awaiting NYSC...would like to go into hydrology

Geography? Nice. From which school. For me, Geography and Environmental Management.

1 Like

Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by segzysexy(m): 6:26pm On Jul 07, 2016
Viktor1983:
Environmental and resource management student here!
How are you all doing?
we are all doing great. Welcome to the room
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by segzysexy(m): 6:32pm On Jul 07, 2016
Please who knows how to apply as a member for any professional association of environmental scientists in the country.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Viktor1983(m): 9:40pm On Jul 07, 2016
segzysexy:
we are all doing great. Welcome to the room

Thank you
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by ADEWALE7777: 10:00am On Jul 08, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:

Geography? Nice. From which school. For me, Geography and Environmental Management.
obafemi awolowo University...are you a graduate of geography?

1 Like

Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jul 08, 2016
segzysexy:
Please who knows how to apply as a member for any professional association of environmental scientists in the country.

The Body for environmental discipline is Nigerian Environmental Society (NES). Also, you have AEIAN at www​.aeian.org/ which is The Association for Environmental Impact Assessment of Nigeria(AEIAN).

Registration depends on which state chapter. In Lagos for instance, the chapter has two main Cells. Lagos Island Chapter (NESLIC) and Mainland Chapter (NESLMC).

They can be contacted by mail through

neslagosisland@gmail.com

Unfortunately the desire to get the Discipline and Profession Chattered has not been achieved due to Legislative issues. The Bill was submitted but I don't know it's status. There are a lot of issues with NES today but hopefully the association will come out stronger sooner.

With the Chattering of the profession people will have to pass stringent professional exams before they can practice in Nigeria. That way, quacks and those who have no skills will not be involved in sensitive environmental studies and other sensitive activities like bioassays and environmental impact forensics.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 08, 2016
ADEWALE7777:
obafemi awolowo University...are you a graduate of geography?

Yes Sir!

First Degree. Geo. and Environmental Management.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by segzysexy(m): 1:49pm On Jul 08, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:

The Body for environmental discipline is Nigerian Environmental Society (NES). Also, you have AEIAN at www​.aeian.org/ which is The Association for Environmental Impact Assessment of Nigeria(AEIAN).

Registration depends on which state chapter. In Lagos for instance, the chapter has two main Cells. Lagos Island Chapter (NESLIC) and Mainland.

neslagosisland@gmail.com

Unfortunately their desire to get the Discipline and Profession Chattered has not been achieved due to Legislative issues. The Bill was submitted but I don't know it's status. There are a lot of issues with NES today but hopefully the association will come out stronger sooner.

With the Chattering people will have to pass professional exams before they can practice in Nigeria.

thanks a lot. Are you really a practicing environmental scientist currently
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by richywhales(m): 6:48pm On Jul 08, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:

Registration depends on which state chapter. In Lagos for instance, the chapter has two main Cells. Lagos Island Chapter (NESLIC) and Mainland.

neslagosisland@gmail.com

Unfortunately their desire to get the Discipline and Profession Chattered has not been achieved due to Legislative issues. The Bill was submitted but I don't know it's status. There are a lot of issues with NES today but hopefully the association will come out stronger sooner.

With the Chattering people will have to pass professional exams before they can practice in Nigeria.

Thanks for the awareness, pls how do I become a member. Have my first degree in urban and regional planning and currently rounding off my second degree.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 12:21am On Jul 09, 2016
segzysexy:
thanks a lot. Are you really a practicing environmental scientist currently

Well, I am a HSE Engineering Professional. Specifically, Safety Engineering And Management (SEAM). I am hoping to go for a second masters degree in Unilag SPGS, God permitting.

But I have a bias for Environmental Sciences because I have a first degree in Geography and Environmental Management. This bias for Environmental Sciences is also reflected in my current job function. I cant run away from it.

Yes I am currently a practicing environmental scientist.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by ADEWALE7777: 1:17pm On Jul 09, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:

Yes Sir!

First Degree. Geo. and Environmental Management.
wow I will like to meet you sir...zero eight one 46 eighty seven seventy five 89...that's my digit sir
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Parrotpal(m): 10:06pm On Jul 09, 2016
Well! I am an urban and regional planning student with bias in environmental management(disaster and risk magement)
As for the EIA studies, i would love to partake in the project...thou i am still a student currently undergoing my intern with the ogun state urban and regional planning board.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by oracle009(m): 8:57pm On Jul 10, 2016
Yea. Bsc Botany (ife)...Msc botany (running it @unilag). I'm a priest
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 11, 2016
ADEWALE7777:
wow I will like to meet you sir...zero eight one 46 eighty seven seventy five 89...that's my digit sir

Taken. I shall endeavor to get in touch. Successful practice.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 11, 2016
Parrotpal:
Well! I am an urban and regional planning student with bias in environmental management(disaster and risk magement)
As for the EIA studies, i would love to partake in the project...thou i am still a student currently undergoing my intern with the ogun state urban and regional planning board.

Oh. Well. Let us see how it goes. In some instances we require field hands. While in some we require people who can interpret data collected from the field or from secondary sources.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Parrotpal(m): 9:44pm On Jul 12, 2016
^^^^
I can function in both capacities. Though, I do not have prior EIAR writing experience except the academic knowledge I learnt in school all thanks to Dr Ayo Olajuyigbe (my urp413 lecturer).
But I am sure I can work effectively in the socio-economics and likewise the GIS aspect of the EIA project. I also have a grasp of what the regulator (i.e. NESRA, state min. of environment, town planning board etc) look out for in a EIA report before it can be consider for approval/disapproval, partly because
1. the lecturer who taught us in class then, took us through the rope of what an EIA project and report entails and
2. I am currently doing my intern with the development control dept of OGURPB which requires submission of EIA report for some types of physical developent as enshrined in the NURP law of 1992 and OGURP law of 2005 respectively.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 9:54am On Jul 13, 2016
Parrotpal:
^^^^
I can function in both capacities. Though, I do not have prior EIAR writing experience except the academic knowledge I learnt in school all thanks to Dr Ayo Olajuyigbe (my urp413 lecturer).
But I am sure I can work effectively in the socio-economics and likewise the GIS aspect of the EIA project. I also have a grasp of what the regulator (i.e. NESRA, state min. of environment, town planning board etc) look out for in a EIA report before it can be consider for approval/disapproval, partly because
1. the lecturer who taught us in class then, took us through the rope of what an EIA project and report entails and
2. I am currently doing my intern with the development control dept of OGURPB which requires submission of EIA report for some types of physical developent as enshrined in the NURP law of 1992 and OGURP law of 2005 respectively.

Interesting.
The impact assessment study is of a medium scope for a retail outlet facility located in Lagos State. For now it has not been determined if it should just be field hands or interpreters of data and report writers who will just work remotely and turn in their report then get paid on a freelance basis. However let us see how it goes. At most I need just two (2) good hands.

I shall soon edit and remove that part on my post.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by wizzyrainy(m): 7:01am On Jul 14, 2016
Please kindly help with a firm for industrial Training. I studied geology. Wisdomuzoma75@gmail.com
Thanks
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jul 21, 2016
wizzyrainy:
Please kindly help with a firm for industrial Training.
I studied geology.
Wisdomuzoma75@gmail.com

Thanks

Depends on your interest. You need to be moderately elaborate.

Which school are you studying at?

Which state are you resident at?

Do you mind moving?

Is there a particular area of interest?

When is your internship expected to start and end?

I mean, you understand where I am coming from.
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by 2emgee(m): 3:00pm On Jul 22, 2016
Geography and Environmental Management. UNILORIN
Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 20, 2016
Nigerian Environmental Society to engage more youths in mitigating human impacts on environment

The first International Environmental Students Summit (IESu/IESS) organised by the Nigerian Environmental Society (NES) held on Friday 19th of August, 2016.The programme is schedule to take place on the 18th -20th of August 2016 at the Nigeria Institute of International Affairs (NIIA), Kofo Abayomi Street, Victoria Island, in Lagos .

Prof. Lawrence Ezemonye, National President, Nigerian Environmental Society (NES), during the summit said the organisation was committed to engage more Nigerian youths actively in mitigating the impacts of human activities on the environment.
Ezemonye made the assertion in Lagos at the First International NES Environmental Students Summit with the theme, “Greening the Economy: Strategically Positioning the Youth — The Future of Africa’’.

The summit had about 200 undergraduate and post-graduate students from different Nigerian universities.

He said that NES would be engaging more youth in promoting sustainable environment across the country.

“NES is convinced beyond any doubt that strategically positioning the youth is paramount to the future of Nigeria and Africa’s Green growth.

“It is now increasingly clear that the wellbeing of our natural environment is fundamental to the wealth and health of the people.

“It is against this background that NES is and will be strategically engaging more youths across the country in the vanguard of sustainable resource utilisation and Green Economic Growth,’’ he said.

Ezemonye said that it was imperative for youths to be involved in the reduction of the problems of flooding, desertification, erosion,biodiversity loss, solid waste management and other problems associated with climate change.

According to him, it is the prerogative of NES to also promote the principles and practice of Green and Sustainable Economic growth in line with the Paris Agreement.

The environmentalist said that the summit was a pragmatic advocacy scheme aimed at promoting the philosophy of Green Agenda through innovation, commercial production, services and technologies for sustainable environment.

“Today’s summit will address among other issues the concept of Eco-innovation as a strategy that guarantees employment and employability of our young graduates and professionals,’’ he said.

The Chairman, Senate Committee on Environment, Sen. Oluremi Tinubu, commended NES for coming up with the initiative aimed at actively involving youths in environmental issues and creating jobs for them.

Tinubu, represented by the Senate Committee on Environment’s Clerk, Mr Sani Lawan, noted that there was currently Environmental Challenges Fund and sustainable efforts in the management of the nation’s environment.

The committee’s chairman also noted the problems of ineffective institutional coordination and other man-made environment problems of waste management, air and marine pollution from industrial and economic activities.

“Protecting the environment is a major political, socio-cultural and economic undertaking which needs the cooperation of us all. It is important for us to preserve our environment for the future and unborn generations''.

“I also wish to appeal to the Federal Government to increase its budget for the environment sector to enhance effective environment maintenance and monitoring,’’ she said.

A statement issued yesterday, 19th of August, 2016, by the management further added that the summit will provide platforms where opportunities are developed and also creating awareness on life style consequences of current unattainable consumption and stimulate capacity building for emerging green economy”. According to the statement, the society is geared towards promoting “Green Economy” where the vital linkages between the economy, society and environment are taken together to transform production and consumption that would lead to efficiency use of resource.

http://reporters365.com/2016/08/92977/nigerian-environmental-society-to-engage-more-youths-in-mitigating-human-impacts-on-environment/

http://www.peoplesdailyng.com/nes-host-maiden-intl-environmental-students-summit-in-lagos/

Re: Environmental Sciences Disciplines:Enviro.Scientists/Managers/Engineers Forum by ADEWALE7777: 12:05pm On Aug 28, 2016
AnakinSkywalker:
Nigerian Environmental Society to engage more youths in mitigating human impacts on environment
The first International Environmental Students Summit (IESu/IESS) organised by the Nigerian Environmental Society (NES) held on Friday 19th of August, 2016.The programme is schedule to take place on the 18th -20th of August 2016 at the Nigeria Institute of International Affairs (NIIA), Kofo Abayomi Street, Victoria Island, in Lagos .
Prof. Lawrence Ezemonye, National President, Nigerian Environmental Society (NES), during the summit said the organisation was committed to engage more Nigerian youths actively in mitigating the impacts of human activities on the environment.
Ezemonye made the assertion in Lagos at the First International NES Environmental Students Summit with the theme, “Greening the Economy: Strategically Positioning the Youth — The Future of Africa’’.
The summit had about 200 undergraduate and post-graduate students from different Nigerian universities.
He said that NES would be engaging more youth in promoting sustainable environment across the country.
“NES is convinced beyond any doubt that strategically positioning the youth is paramount to the future of Nigeria and Africa’s Green growth.
“It is now increasingly clear that the wellbeing of our natural environment is fundamental to the wealth and health of the people.
“It is against this background that NES is and will be strategically engaging more youths across the country in the vanguard of sustainable resource utilisation and Green Economic Growth,’’ he said.
Ezemonye said that it was imperative for youths to be involved in the reduction of the problems of flooding, desertification, erosion,biodiversity loss, solid waste management and other problems associated with climate change.
According to him, it is the prerogative of NES to also promote the principles and practice of Green and Sustainable Economic growth in line with the Paris Agreement.
The environmentalist said that the summit was a pragmatic advocacy scheme aimed at promoting the philosophy of Green Agenda through innovation, commercial production, services and technologies for sustainable environment.
“Today’s summit will address among other issues the concept of Eco-innovation as a strategy that guarantees employment and employability of our young graduates and professionals,’’ he said.
The Chairman, Senate Committee on Environment, Sen. Oluremi Tinubu, commended NES for coming up with the initiative aimed at actively involving youths in environmental issues and creating jobs for them.
Tinubu, represented by the Senate Committee on Environment’s Clerk, Mr Sani Lawan, noted that there was currently Environmental Challenges Fund and sustainable efforts in the management of the nation’s environment.
The committee’s chairman also noted the problems of ineffective institutional coordination and other man-made environment problems of waste management, air and marine pollution from industrial and economic activities.
“Protecting the environment is a major political, socio-cultural and economic undertaking which needs the cooperation of us all. It is important for us to preserve our environment for the future and unborn generations''.
“I also wish to appeal to the Federal Government to increase its budget for the environment sector to enhance effective environment maintenance and monitoring,’’ she said.
A statement issued yesterday, 19th of August, 2016, by the management further added that the summit will provide platforms where opportunities are developed and also creating awareness on life style consequences of current unattainable consumption and stimulate capacity building for emerging green economy”. According to the statement, the society is geared towards promoting “Green Economy” where the vital linkages between the economy, society and environment are taken together to transform production and consumption that would lead to efficiency use of resource.
http://reporters365.com/2016/08/92977/nigerian-environmental-society-to-engage-more-youths-in-mitigating-human-impacts-on-environment/
http://www.peoplesdailyng.com/nes-host-maiden-intl-environmental-students-summit-in-lagos/
bros you ve not communicated since...08146877589 (whatsapp) kindly drop yours

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

UBA Payment Scale For Entry-Level Jobs? / Photo: Yoruba Boys In Construction In Dubai / Is CPA Recognised In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.