Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,759 members, 7,875,917 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:47 AM

We Demand Answers From Our School Authorities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / We Demand Answers From Our School Authorities (637 Views)

"Snake Swallowed Our School Fees": Benue State University Students Protest (Pics / See Where Our School Project Finally Ended After The Stress (photo) / 200 Questions And Answers From The Book Independence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Demand Answers From Our School Authorities by Maduawuchukwu(m): 7:16am On Jul 06, 2016
The dream of every student is to be an expert in his or her chosen field; and within a reasonable time. To achieve this he/she has to go through a thorough process of tutoring and learning within a given time frame after which one can be qualified and trusted to handle situations in ones given profession.In the case of an aspiring lawyer, it takes 5 years of intense studying after which he proceeds to the Nigerian law school without which he can't practice as a legal practitioner. Without the law school he can't contribute his quota in his chosen field; without it his LLB degree is not worth the paper on which it is written.
Therefore it was with bewilderment and utter surprise that we the 2015/2016 Law set of the University of Abuja heard from our Faculty,represented by our dean, HODs and Exam Officer, that we would not be admitted into the Law school at the end of the 2016 calendar as is the norm and as is of right to the graduating set.
The reasons put forward by the Faculty as to why we cannot be admitted into the law school were not cogent and convincing. We were told that our entrance could not be possible because the Law school requires that only the names of Graduates be sent to them on or before the 24th of June,2016 for acceptance and that since we had not graduated we could not be included.
First and foremost, the University of Abuja has always had a slower Calendar than most Universities in the country and we have always finished an academic session in August or later than that. Based on this reality,the Law school has always used our first seemester results as the basis of our admission. If a student eventually failed to pass his required final seemester courses, his name is dropped and replaced. Simple,just and straightforward. So therefore the excuse that we are not graduates does not hold water and is not supported by the practice of the Law school which to the best of our understanding and knowledge has not changed. Our first seemester results are ready by all indications but are most probably been delayed by the Faculty authorities so as to stop us from being qualified according to the requirements the Law school holds out to us.
The situation in which we find ourselves is even compounded by the fact that we are not assured of a sufficient quota next year that will ensure that at least a good number of us will go to the law school. In situations such as this, the authorities make sure that the succeeding year's slots are given wholly to the students of the preceding year in order to ensure a confusion and crisis free situation. But in our case, the authorities have failed to make a commitment in this regard therefore leaving with the possibility of most of us staying at home for more years. Given that we( 2015/2016 set) are about 400 in number, if we are not guaranteed the full slots for next year's law school admission,there is the real possibility of the last of us being called to the the Nigerian Bar in the year 2025!!!.
Given this nightmarish situation of things and the possibility of members of our set being qualified to be called Lawyers in about a decades time for a process which is usually completed within a year in most schools, we the class of 2015/2016 hereby appeal to the Legal Council of Education which has invested so much in our education, the Body of Benchers, Legal practitioners, human rights activists and the general public to come to our aid and ensure that our the Faculty of Law, Univeristy of Abuja does the following:
(1) Release our first seemester results which is the basis on which we will be admitted into the Law school.
(2) Send our names to the Law school authorities for admission into the Law school
(3) If these above requests are not possible, then we should be given the full slots for next year's Law school admission as convention requires.
Society requires Justice to succeed and Justice is most ensured when Lawyers who are the instrument through which it is achieved are treated justly.

Note: The Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria is still in its final seemester for the session and it has already distributed it's Law school forms to its Law students thereby rubbishing the "you must be a graduate" requirement which our School(Uniabuja) is claiming.
CC Tonyebarcanista
CC Modath
CC Severus snape
Re: We Demand Answers From Our School Authorities by kacglobal: 7:16am On Jul 06, 2016
Continue. .. the hustle is real. N it's way above your demand. U can't remain a student forever. The real struggle in Africa is after u leave school.
Re: We Demand Answers From Our School Authorities by Maduawuchukwu(m): 7:22am On Jul 06, 2016
kacglobal:
Continue. .. the hustle is real. N it's way above your demand. U can't remain a student forever. The real struggle in Africa is after u leave school.

Thanks bro for your kind words. As u stand shoulder to shoulder with me so to will I with u one day. We hear that it is because of the deans personal hatred for us that he doesn't want to let us go.
Re: We Demand Answers From Our School Authorities by Maduawuchukwu(m): 8:16am On Jul 06, 2016
The problem is not necessarily that we are not going to the law school this year but that foul play and impunity is suspected in th decision and also that no provisions have been made for the next year.
Re: We Demand Answers From Our School Authorities by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:00am On Jul 06, 2016
Stand for your right and say no to impunity.

Lalasticlala come to their aid pls
Re: We Demand Answers From Our School Authorities by Chuksemi(m): 10:39am On Jul 06, 2016
Maduawuchukwu:

Thanks bro for your kind words. As u stand shoulder to shoulder with me so to will I with u one day. We hear that it is because of the deans personal hatred for us that he doesn't want to let us go.

Your write up is understandably one sided. I can understand how frustrating some schools can be. However, I suggest you and your colleagues find out the real reason behind their action. From what you wrote, I deduce it is the first time they are attempting something like this and so far they haven't given any cogent reason to support their action. You can't base such decisions on hate. As much as the DEAN might dislike your set. That isn't enough motivation to do something like this.

Set up a panel or something similar. You guys are law students, you would know legal ways to investigate the cause of this. If possible, take legal action. There isn't a smoke without fire.
Re: We Demand Answers From Our School Authorities by Maduawuchukwu(m): 6:26pm On Jul 06, 2016
Chuksemi:

Your write up is understandably one sided. I can understand how frustrating some schools can be. However, I suggest you and your colleagues find out the real reason behind their action. From what you wrote, I deduce it is the first time they are attempting something like this and so far they haven't given any cogent reason to support their action. You can't base such decisions on hate. As much as the DEAN might dislike your set. That isn't enough motivation to do something like this.

Set up a panel or something similar. You guys are law students, you would know legal ways to investigate the cause of this. If possible, take legal action. There isn't a smoke without fire.
Thanks but how can mere students set-up a panel? Hw can we know the "true" reasons when they have given us non? What we know right now is that a meeting was held and while while two lecturers supported our going to the Law school, the rest were either silent or opposed us. The only reason we can deduce so far for this great injustice is vendetta and nothing more. Our class wrote poor comments about him in the report form given to us by the school during our exams and we also criticized his poor knowledge of the course he taught us. Do u know that in his course he gave about half of the class carryovers for a very simple course? It has never happened to a final year set before. Everything reeks of hatred.
Re: We Demand Answers From Our School Authorities by Maduawuchukwu(m): 6:27pm On Jul 06, 2016
[quote author=TonyeBarcanista post=47256713]Stand for your right and say no to impunity.

Lalasticlala come to their aid pls[/quote

Thanks Barca my fellow comrade.

(1) (Reply)

Certificate Conscious Nigeria. How Far We Have Produced Graduate Dummies / 2nd Week Of School And I Am Already Tired And Bored Of Classes. MUST READ / Who Introduced You To Nairaland??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.