Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,946 members, 7,949,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 11:49 PM

Difference Between State University And Federal University - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Difference Between State University And Federal University (56065 Views)

Lady Expelled From Federal University Lokoja Unjustly Speaks / Landmark University And NASDRA To Launch Agric Satellite / 5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by temitayomie: 1:55pm On Jul 07, 2016
hardbody:
Interestingly all the comments are correct. They are bits or parts of a complete whole. In my uni back in time, i had guys from the core north, they were on scholarship, guys from the state where the uni is located were very few, we also had benue community, rivers, etc. Parapo meetings and parties and cultural days were the bomb, lagosians came with these their egungun and they were the best singers and drummers in all those clandestine paroles. In my next life I will still go through a federal uni. Not talking down on state unis but the competition and diversity is something else. The first set of 42 names sent by JAMB to my faculty then on a cut off of 295 had igbos, a few hausas and some yorubas only.

The rest almost 200 people came through means best known to them but it was fun and competition was rife. It was also cheap.

Must you guys use every avenue to promote tribalism

Nobody ask for the tribe that made up the top 42, if you school in the north, you have more Hausa applicants, if you school in the west, you will have more Yoruba applicants and more Igbo applicants in the east. So the figure you put up there is very unnecessary.
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by datibo1111: 1:59pm On Jul 07, 2016
biz9ja:
Decide for yourself

OAU vs LASU

Unilag vs IMSU

UI vs OOU
I had my first degree at IMSU and I went to UNILAG for my MSC. finished with a distinction. Even the UIs OAUs UNIBENs ILORINs couldn't compete. it isn't where you finish from that matters. Its who you are.

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by people3: 2:03pm On Jul 07, 2016
Both fed,state and private uni are all the same as long as nobody can build his or her own uni,they are reg by NUC and they offer degrees
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Chuxjuliet(f): 2:04pm On Jul 07, 2016
Thank God am d first to comment.....na joke ooo
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Hemanwel(m): 2:07pm On Jul 07, 2016
emmasege:
Federal unis, particularly the first and second generation universities. They have the best of academics in the country and attract the best of students. Secondly, there's diversity of culture & religion in federal unis which prepare you for the ideal life. Every federal university is expected to promote federal character in terms of admission & appointments, which is rarely observed in state universities. In a typical federal university, you'll find students & staff from regions other than where the university is located.
My brother,God bless you for this!Tell my Edo people.They keep clamouring for a Bini personality to become a VC as if UNIBEN is owned by Edo state.
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 07, 2016
Cherishing:
More prof in fed than state

In state its very easy for any politician to get this their annoying doctorate award even when its very obvious that the person can't even pass a school cert .
that's not totally true as some federal universities does similar thing
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Standing5(m): 2:11pm On Jul 07, 2016
ajalawole:
State and private university are for the fantastically kworrupt, whole federal university are those who are suffering and smilling cheesy
No. State are no 1 on the chart followed by the fed uni. The private unis are under the close watch of state and fed uni controlled NUC and so aren't capable of being fantastically corrupt on their own.
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by skywalker001(m): 2:12pm On Jul 07, 2016
SETHWORLD:
1) State university is more expensive than a federal university
Aaua is cheaper than oau...
wat bout dat ?

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Nobody: 2:12pm On Jul 07, 2016
ajalawole:
State and private university are for the fantastically kworrupt, whole federal university are those who are suffering and smilling cheesy
corruption cut across all board. it's not exclusive to state and private universities alone
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 07, 2016
bigerboy200:
1)Federal unis are way cheaper. The highest school fees I paid was 15,000 naira and that was in 100 level, subsequent fees were between 7,000 - 9000. even accommodation was and it's still cheap (2650 per session). I doubt if that is obtainable in any state school in Nigeria..
2)In terms of infrastructural facilities such as lecture theatres, The federal universities are very much equipped that their state counterparts cos they are funded by the federal Government..I once entered one of the SW state uni's lab(make I no mention d name..lol) and I can confidently state that the chemistry lab of a private school I once taught in is more equipped that that Uni's chemistry Lab.
3)The cultural diversity is more in the fed univ than state uni.
4)The best lecturing brains are "'arguably" in the fed univ.
5)The bragging rights is something for another day grin grin...If u present U.I and Adekunle Ajasin Univ to an SS3 student hoping to get a univ plavement next year,we all know what his/her choice would be....
before I leave let me just state that your worth isn't truly defined by the Univ u attended but by how u develop yourself fit in with the stars. I have seen pple from private univ smash records at postgraduate levels and I hav also seen pple from UK who couldn't answer basic and fundamental questions related to their field of study.. in the end,it's all depends on you...
correct
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 07, 2016
pointstores:
state university is very expensive why federal is affordable and standard
for standard no. both universities are of low standard

1 Like

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by kolafolabi(m): 2:43pm On Jul 07, 2016
1. Federal Universities get more funds than state universities.
2. Most State Universities pay their workers salary through I.G.R
3. Federal Universities get more interventions than state Universities. Eg. Tetfund, etf etc
4. They get more Professors than states
5. Federal Universities VCs are 99% from the same school but states can appoint from anywhere in as much the person is a professor.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jul 07, 2016
bigerboy200:
1)Federal unis are way cheaper. The highest school fees I paid was 15,000 naira and that was in 100 level, subsequent fees were between 7,000 - 9000. even accommodation was and it's still cheap (2650 per session). I doubt if that is obtainable in any state school in Nigeria..
2)In terms of infrastructural facilities such as lecture theatres, The federal universities are very much equipped that their state counterparts cos they are funded by the federal Government..I once entered one of the SW state uni's lab(make I no mention d name..lol) and I can confidently state that the chemistry lab of a private school I once taught in is more equipped that that Uni's chemistry Lab.
5)The bragging rights is something for another day grin grin...If u present U.I and Adekunle Ajasin Univ to an SS3 student hoping to get a univ plavement next year,we all know what his/her choice would be....
before I leave let me just state that your worth isn't truly defined by the Univ u attended but by how u develop yourself fit in with the stars. I have seen pple from private univ smash records at postgraduate levels and I hav also seen pple from UK who couldn't answer basic and fundamental questions related to their field of study.. in the end,it's all depends on you...

Lols still repping #teamAAUA tho grin cheesy cheesy grin

I love how u end it anyway and so much true content
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 07, 2016
People be making derogatory remarks about state Uni, lyk they are that bad! The ONLY difference btw state and fed. Uni is dat the fees paid in those of states are way higher than the fed ones.
1. Infrastructure
Eg: Medicine nd Law in lasu is one of the best, nd the school has a teaching hospital which is always rated among top10, majority of the fed unis TH find it so hard to make d list. So tell me, isn't dah part of infrastructure?!.
2. Swag/ Fashion
Is it those UI students wu dress like they are off to fellowship, or Unilorin dah imposes dress codes on their students, or the likes of Futa, Funaab, Fuoye and dem yeye fed unis lyk dat wey their dressing go dey irritate person. I don't dispute the fact dah schools like Oau, Unilag nd the rest are on point in terms of dressing, buh go to state Unis like LAUTECH, u will see guys wey get tight packaging
3. Academics
Some States uni have a good number of Profs, and their students are Very good
IN SHORT, FED UNIS ARE GOOD, STATE UNIS ARE GOOD
Their is no difference btw both, same life style, same vibes, same lecture theatres, same Profs nd lecturers, same strike!!!.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by majiya123(m): 2:51pm On Jul 07, 2016
I'm in state University but I think Federal University is more cheaper and have more instructional materials than State University
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Armstrong34(m): 2:56pm On Jul 07, 2016
Nigerians ve one stupid mentality of comparin.... weda federal or state ...at d end of it all....WHR is d Work??yet its unemploymentcheesy

1 Like

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by people3: 3:00pm On Jul 07, 2016
Victurh:
People be making derogatory remarks about state Uni, lyk they are that bad! The ONLY difference btw state and fed. Uni is dat the fees paid in those of states are way higher than the fed ones.
1. Infrastructure
Eg: Medicine nd Law in lasu is one of the best, nd the school has a teaching hospital which is always rated among top10, majority of the fed unis TH find it so hard to make d list. So tell me, isn't dah part of infrastructure?!.
2. Swag/ Fashion
Is it those UI students wu dress like they are off to fellowship, or Unilorin dah imposes dress codes on their students, or the likes of Futa, Funaab, Fuoye and dem yeye fed unis lyk dat wey their dressing go dey irritate person. I don't dispute the fact dah schools like Oau, Unilag nd the rest are on point in terms of dressing, buh go to state Unis like LAUTECH, u will see guys wey get tight packaging
3. Academics
Some States uni have a good number of Profs, and their students are Very good
IN SHORT, FED UNIS ARE GOOD, STATE UNIS ARE GOOD
Their is no difference btw both, same life style, same vibes, same lecture theatres, same Profs nd lecturers, same strike!!!.
. You are correct although I rep team 'EKSU'
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Aliyu333: 3:16pm On Jul 07, 2016
d33types:
state universities mainly admit their 'indigenes' and hardly from other states.
in federal universities, you have a more heterogeneous mix of students hence encouraging versatility and cultural diversity/tolerance

eg students from AAU (edo state's university) are mainly edo residents and few indigenes resident outside the state compared to uniben which combines Lagos, kano,enugu students. you are likely to see an ab0ki or an nna boy in uniben than aau.

state schools are far more expensive than federal schools and even extra expensive for the non indigenes .
eg UNIBEN fees about 4yrs ago was 9700 for medicine when delsu was ~70k for indigenes in medicine and even more for non indigenes.

federal uni 's tend to have better standards, employ more lecturers , have more student population. and are ranked higher by employment bodies.

disadvantages? they're more difficult to get into.
State or federal, they're almost all shitty as far it's Nigerian public education.
shitty? Minus ABU, Zaria.
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Tolutheo(m): 3:58pm On Jul 07, 2016
bigerboy200:
This guy attended OAU
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by hardbody: 4:02pm On Jul 07, 2016
temitayomie:

Must you guys use every avenue to promote tribalism

Nobody ask for the tribe that made up the top 42, if you school in the north, you have more Hausa applicants, if you school in the west, you will have more Yoruba applicants and more Igbo applicants in the east. So the figure you put up there is very unnecessary.

Except the northern uni is not federal, the result then wouldn't have been any different. Get it into your brain, hoping you have any, i am detribalised, apolitical and a free bird. I say the truth and stand by it. I am not here to win medals, i do my bit and leave the rest to God. Now quit.
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by biz9ja(m): 4:22pm On Jul 07, 2016
datibo1111:
I had my first degree at IMSU and I went to UNILAG for my MSC. finished with a distinction. Even the UIs OAUs UNIBENs ILORINs couldn't compete. it isn't where you finish from that matters. Its who you are.

Yes that's true but it does define your academic parlance. I mean why do you think people go to Harvard, Stanford and the likes?

1 Like

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by temitayomie: 4:58pm On Jul 07, 2016
hardbody:

Except the northern uni is not federal, the result then wouldn't have been any different. Get it into your brain, hoping you have any, i am detribalised, apolitical and a free bird. I say the truth and stand by it. I am not here to win medals, i do my bit and leave the rest to God. Now quit.

Nitwit I repeat, must you tribalize everything

Now consult your brain (that is if you have any) before you answer me.
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by nwatiti(m): 5:17pm On Jul 07, 2016
first time to hit FP,I wan go state uni that's y I heard thy are more serious and less corrupt
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Idrhas(m): 5:56pm On Jul 07, 2016
Vote FALCONEY 4 MR NAIRALAND!!!
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by gevans(m): 6:19pm On Jul 07, 2016
the main difference between federal n state university is d school fees n cultural diversity, every other things are arguably equal, although d state that own d university matters. this days some fed varsities even charge higher than some state universities.
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by AmbodOfLASU: 6:38pm On Jul 07, 2016
biz9ja:
Decide for yourself

OAU vs LASU

Unilag vs IMSU

UI vs OOU

The present day LASU is better than the present day OAU.
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by AmbodOfLASU: 6:45pm On Jul 07, 2016
shamecurls:
State universities re Advanced secondary schools while Federal universities re the standard universities.

Just like saying Unilag VS Lasu grin grin grin

I find your conclusion bias and full of prejudice.
Have met many UNILAG students at Debates, Conferences and Mootings, they are not particularly extraordinary. LASU still rcently defeated UNILAG students in a Climate Change debate held at Julius Berger hall(Unilag was represented by the likes of Olaitan Zainab from the department of Political Science). Similarly, a LASU graduate of Philosophy (Samuel Olusegun Steven) broke UNILAG'S MASTERS RECORD.
Meanwhile, have you visited LASU under the new VC, Professor Fagbohun?

In all, UNILAG, OAU, LASU, AAUA OR BABCOCK, what matters is the student and his/her thirst for self development.
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Dohyn3(f): 7:08pm On Jul 07, 2016
AmbodOfLASU:

I find your conclusion bias and full of prejudice.
Have met many UNILAG students at Debates, Conferences and Mootings, they are not particularly extraordinary. LASU still rcently defeated UNILAG students in a Climate Change debate held at Julius Berger hall(Unilag was represented by the likes of Olaitan Zainab from the department of Political Science). Similarly, a LASU graduate of Philosophy (Samuel Olusegun Steven) broke UNILAG'S MASTERS RECORD.
Meanwhile, have you visited LASU under the new VC, Professor Fagbohun?

In all, UNILAG, OAU, LASU, AAUA OR BABCOCK, what matters is the student and his/her thirst for self development.

am glad...
LASU is 10 times more better than some so called federal uni's, sef. You guys still think the new LASU is the same as the old LASU. Come off it! #beststateuni
An aspirant though, and i pray i get in..
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by PharmAlfred: 7:41pm On Jul 07, 2016
My position on this: Truth is, on most inidices, Fed Unis are way ahead of State Unis, but in d end it boils down to what you are doing or do with your life.

Why do I say this? You r going to find d Harvard, Cambridge, Uniben, Unilag etc grads employed by Delsu or Imsu grad and the other way round too.

Employers of Labour can also have their bias for grads of some Fed Unis.

For a prospective undergraduate desirous of a very dynamic, robust cultural mix, balanced exposure, networking experiencing etc,then you have got to start hunting for a Fed Uni. Uniben, Unilag, UI,OAU,UNN, ABU, Unilorin would not be a bad idea for u.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by hardbody: 7:46pm On Jul 07, 2016
temitayomie:

Nitwit I repeat, must you tribalize everything

Now consult your brain (that is if you have any) before you answer me.

Listening. ....did you say anything?

It's not my fault you could never have made the cut off.

Too bad
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by AmbodOfLASU: 9:09pm On Jul 07, 2016
Dohyn3:

am glad...
LASU is 10 times more better than some so called federal uni's, sef. You guys still think the new LASU is the same as the old LASU. Come off it! #beststateuni
An aspirant though, and i pray i get in..

Don't mind them. We have LASU graduates breaking academic records in Harvard(the new Skye Bank CEO and GMD studied Economics in LASU before proceeding to Harvard University for his Post Graduate studies).

What course do u wanna put in for?
Re: Difference Between State University And Federal University by Dohyn3(f): 10:55pm On Jul 07, 2016
AmbodOfLASU:

Don't mind them. We have LASU graduates breaking academic records in Harvard(the new Skye Bank CEO and GMD studied Economics in LASU before proceeding to Harvard University for his Post Graduate studies).

What course do u wanna put in for?

yeah, the school has lots of alumni making waves in different industries.
Law..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka / Get JAMB 2014/2015 Direct Entry Card Online! / Nigeria’s Hairiest Woman, Queen Okafor Matriculates At NOUN (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.