Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,665 members, 7,889,173 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 02:10 AM

6 Things You Should Note Before Going For A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Things You Should Note Before Going For A Job Interview (651 Views)

Man Going For Interview Speaks Rudely To Prospective Employer Inside KEKE NAPEP / 6 Things To Do When You Can’t Get A Job / 6 Things You Must Remove From Your Cv Very Important (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

6 Things You Should Note Before Going For A Job Interview by senerong: 5:12pm On Jul 08, 2016
Hi future interviewee's,
During the last interview I went for, I experienced a few hitches that could have been prevented, if only I knew....so I thought of writing this post to help others prevent such mistakes. My personal experience of each point is enclosed brackets for those who are interested. Happy reading!

1. Don't assume the interviewers know a thing about you, whether you've had a one-on-one contact with them before or not, speak to them like you've never met them before.i.e tell them everything! every single relevant thing!
(My flaw here was that I thought my CV was quite explanatory so when asked questions about my previous experiences I would only skim the surface thinking 'oh they should already know I did this and that' no need to talk about it again)

2. You need enough rest before the interview. If your 'enough rest' is 6hrs then give yourself that, if its 8hrs then give yourself nothing less than that.
(I flew in the previous night and my interview was the next morning, being a perfectionist I kept reading and researching overnight and had only 2hrs 30mins to sleep, you can imagine how I felt that morning plus the flight stress, I looked at the mirror like a 100 times checking for eye bags)

3. While talking, the interviewers might keep looking at their watch, don't fret or think you're talking too much. Stay focused and keep your thoughts aligned.
(This could have been prevented as the interviewers had told me at the beginning not to be mindful of this but I still found myself unconciously trying to 'save their time' thereby rushing some of my words and ruling out important things I was supposed to say which didn't make any sense because hello! it's an interview, if you're taking their time they would let you know, don't help them to 'mince' their time...lol )

4. Ask 2 or 3 people who have gone for a similar interview for tips but don't put your whole mind on it because the interviewers always have new tricks up their sleeves. Let what they tell you only guide you and nothing more.
(Due to what I heard previously, I had rigorously prepared only within that circle. Unknown to me, I was going to be asked questions outside that. You can imagine how many minutes it took me to properly get myself)

5. Remain confident. No matter the tone the interview takes or how one stage goes, don't let it affect your demeanor, go on like nothing ever happened.
( I think everyone knows this already but trust me it goes past knowing to doing, I experienced this LIVE...lol but unlike the other points this was a plus for me)

6. Go prepared. Go with your stationery complete - pencils, biros, erasers because you might just be in for a surprise and you dont want to mess up (this one was just too funny as I went along with a red pen - because I'm an assistant lecturer, got there and discovered there was going to be a short 'quiz' in which I spent 1.5mins out of 5 looking for a blue/black pen)

I hope this helps someone! smiley
I'm available for any further questions grin

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Should Note Before Going For A Job Interview by gentlesoul196: 6:41pm On Jul 08, 2016
eat before going, sometimes it may take forever before you are interviewed
Re: 6 Things You Should Note Before Going For A Job Interview by Chocho4real(m): 7:44pm On Jul 08, 2016
Nice tips bro

(1) (Reply)

Vacancy For A Chartered Accountant In A Reputable Company / College Of Advanced Health, Science & Technology (CAHSTECH) Recruitment – 2016 / GE Nigeria Graduate Commercial Intern Recruitment 2016 - Oil & Gas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.