Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,748 members, 7,875,867 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:02 AM

The Mystery Called THITHING. Is It Necessary? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Mystery Called THITHING. Is It Necessary? (1186 Views)

The Mystery Called Prayer / Mystery Trees With Arabic Inscription In Ogun Turn Tourist Attraction / Why Is It Necessary To Appeal To God For Objective Morals? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mystery Called THITHING. Is It Necessary? by greatbrian(m): 11:42am On Jul 16, 2016
Good day people and God bless you all.
The issue about tithing and offering is a very big one especially tithing. A lot of christians believe so much in it and many more believes its just an old testament thing which is not even a commandment.

I was kind of curious about it too and I guess God saw my heart and sent calvary to me about this issue. I was with an officer in the MRS after I injured my leg during the cause of training and while awaiting the xray result, I met an officer who sees me as a little him and z a man I respect his views so much when it comes to religion and christianity most especially.

I asked me about the mystery called tithe and offering and the truth is he had nothing more to tell me after quoting the book of malachi which all pastors does. Anyway am not here to change peoples view about tithing. But I need to explain something to a lot of people who knows little or nothing about it and just sees it as LETS DO IT BECAUSE PEOPLE DOES IT.

My curiosity led to to do many research about dz issue for months and I will paste below what I got about the mystery.

Please for the pastors in the house, tell me if am wrong.
Now let's journey thru this together and I adjourn you to get your bible in place so as to see and prove my points.

Question: "What does the Bible say about Christian tithing? Should a Christian tithe?"

Answer: Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches giving is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations about making offerings to the Lord. Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of the crops they grew and the livestock they raised to the tabernacle/temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes—one for the Levites, one for the use of the temple and the feasts, and one for the poor of the land—which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system.

The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says gifts should be “in keeping with income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving.

The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom in the matter of participating in tithing and/or how much to give (James 1:5). Above all, all tithes and offerings should be given with pure motives and an attitude of worship to God and service to the body of Christ. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

Recommended Resource: Perspectives on Tithing: 4 Views by David A. Croteau.

Now I won't change your view but I believe you have learnt something
Re: The Mystery Called THITHING. Is It Necessary? by Dahmelareh17: 1:27pm On Jul 16, 2016
okay ,
Re: The Mystery Called THITHING. Is It Necessary? by greatbrian(m): 11:28pm On Jul 16, 2016
Re: The Mystery Called THITHING. Is It Necessary? by tjmc: 7:59am On Jul 17, 2016
every pastor who is money conscious would always quote that part cos it guarantees a regular income for them(remember its in the old testament), our lord Jesus in the new testament Neva gave such command. he only came to show us the way to the father when he said carry ur cross and follow me. the only command I know he gave was during the last supper when he broke bread and transformed it into his flesh then said do this in remembrance of me. how many pastors or churches do u see obey that command. only the roman Catholic church and Anglicans. these two churches no give much ado about thithe .

(1) (Reply)

Trinity : Is Jesus Really Equal in Nature with His Father ? / Is this Proof That Jesus Lied In The Bible? / Discussion Between 4evergod And Otemanuduno That Reveals His Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.