Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,745 members, 7,879,229 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 02:33 PM

Litville. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Litville. (555 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Litville. by RemenZack(f): 6:53pm On Jul 16, 2016
New Book series is here again. I promise to finish it thoroughly. So, promise to read it meticulously.

Welcome and enjoy;

Who will return well-written Literature pieces and who will be an avid reader for Literature? Who will balance the wailing and dusty Books in every library, after years and years of nothing in the land?

There shall be a contest and only the most reliable will win the throne of the "Ultimate Book-Keeper". Age or status will not save anyone this time. As only the "One" with infallible knowledge will rule the land forever.

But first, they will have to be primmed, trained and corrected to learn, grow and survive in LitVille; The only existing land mass, with the greatest of Literature nobles, Librarians and Bookworms.

So, who then will take the title and rescue all of the land?!
Re: Litville. by RemenZack(f): 11:21am On Jul 17, 2016
Liza Hendricks, tall and young eyed, exuberant and animate in every doing was the only child and daughter of Mr and Mrs Hendricks, the then owners of The Hendricks Shop, dealer of fine Wine and China. Mr Hendricks, with his bad eye sight, almost blunt eyed as a bat and Mrs Hendricks, the cancer survivor, even though her head was still bald and her breath was huff.

Liza was their eyes and everything else. She was the only good thing of their old age. Now, Liza was 17 and she had just been accepted into LitVille.

LitVille, located almost a thousand miles from the Town was a dream for almost every young child. Liza always wanted to be a part of its fancy surroundings. She wanted the uniform so bad, because of its bright and perfect sartorial beauty. But, she had little success with her education. She was only 10 when she stopped School, but her Mother still managed to make her hold a Pen every now and then.

When Liza was bustling to and fro in their residence, very close to a bayou and a dense forest, that was when she got the mail, emblazoned with polka dots and little Books. She couldn't breathe for hours, as her heart was deep inside her mouth, making her squirm uncontrollably. She ranted for hours about her great expectations for LitVille, making Mr Hendricks almost deaf as well.

Mrs Hendricks returned with a bag of groceries, including shiny apples and pears. Those were Liza's favourite, but now they won't be, since she would be leaving home and her parents. Liza hastily broke the news to her Mother, as if it were a deadly virus or a piece of bad news.

"Very well then!" Mrs Hendricks said, after a long waltz of silence.

"What? You've to say something more, Ma! This has always been my dream, you know that. Father knows that too." Liza commented, her voice gloomy but face as lit as the burning sun.

"Your Father is blind, can't you see? He doesn't know right from wrong any longer. But I do! You are not going to LitVille!" Mrs Hendricks spat, making Liza's visage fall.

"I'm not going? But I've just been accepted. I can't just rebuff their goodwill, Ma!"

"Goodwill? How dare you say that? Who's going to pay for your fees? What about your uniform and food and health care and everything else? Certainly not me!" Mrs Hendricks spat again.

"But Ma, it doesn't matter. I will just have to work harder, before School begins."

"Well, when does School begin anyway?" Mr Hendricks asked, finally animate and alive in the conversation.

"Next month. I promise to look and ask around, so I can do household chores and then, I can get paid. A little." Liza said, fiddling her hair lightly.

"Well, I don't care if you work for the President or even the Governor. You're not going to LitVille and that's it. Now, let's go make some soup, shall we?" Mrs Hendricks had spoken and that was the end. Liza bowed her head in frustration and confusion. Her dream was LitVille but her own Mother wouldn't want any of it to be a reality. How crude!
Re: Litville. by RemenZack(f): 9:30am On Jul 18, 2016
The Bowens had too many chores in their small battered house. Liza had taken two jobs, one at The Bowens and the other at The Ornacles.

The Bowens were nice people, as they promised to pay daily, while The Ornacles were still unknown to Liza. She got to see Mrs Ornacle only one time, as they agreed on the terms of proper cleaning, scrubbing, scouring and washing. Liza's fragile hands weren't made for washing, but she needed the money, so she took washing lessons from her Mother.

First day at The Bowens and she was paid full and even advance, for the rest of the week. Now, it was almost noon and she was off to The Ornacles. She had to make a few things right, before stepping into that shiny house of theirs.

The Ornacles owned too many dogs, both cute and angry ones. She was scared of dogs and she knew a few of them could sense fear. Yikes! Also, she had to learn how to speak a little bit of foreign language, since Mrs Ornacle spoke an unintelligible language, making their communication distant.

Third, she had to do her job perfectly, just to make herself, The Ornacles and her own parents proud. It was a big task ahead, but she knew she had to conquer it anyway.

Three rings later on the doorbell and Mrs Ornacle's oriental face was visible behind the wooden big door.

"Finally! She's here! Where have you been? Have you been lost, child?" Mrs Ornacle said. Her words unclear and annoying, as she had a nasal problem.

"Lost? Uh, no. I work two jobs. I work for The Bowens. Mr Bowen is a plumber. He must have worked here a few times too." Liza said, her words intelligible.

"No, he hasn't. Now, come along, Child". Liza wondered if she looked small or just stupid, as Mrs Ornacle wouldn't stop referring her as a Child. She cleared her mind and followed her into the palatial view of the house.

Mrs Ornacle gave a detailed and exaggerated history about their 100-year old house. It had 10 bedrooms, 17 bathrooms and a water fountain for the outdoors. Liza was to clean and scrub the floors, wash every clothing of the house, including the nakpins. She would also wash the windows and dust the scant Chandelier.

"Wow. That's so much to do! How much will you be paying for all of these?" Liza asked, a tinge of laughter stuck in her throat.

"Hush, Child. Work now, Talk later. I shall be off to The Book Club meeting now. My daughter, Sydney is home, but don't dare bother her. She has some findings to do with her recent admission at LitVille." Mrs Ornacle bragged, her accent now vivid and less inexplicable or daunting.

"LitVille?!" Liza yelled, as that was all she had to hear in Mrs Ornacle's statement.

"Yes! LitVille! Why do you act so surprised? Do you know anything about that School?"

"Of course I do. I got admitted a while ago too. But my Mother doesn't want me to go there. It's too faraway and we don't have enough money." Liza's visage was sour now, making Mrs Ornacle irritated.

"Aw! Too bad for you, girl. My daughter, Sydney will do wonders with that brain of hers. She's a straight A student and she studies really hard. We have enough money, and that's not just it, we have prestige too. I am a Filipino woman, whose husband is known all around the world for his Physics and Biology wisdom. We simply just have it all!" Mrs Ornacle bragged again, her tone dour.

"So what do you've have?" Liza retorted.

"What do you mean? I've my husband and my daughter, that's everything to me."

"Without them, who are you?" Liza asked again, making Mrs Ornacle uncomfortable and late for her Bookclub meeting.

"I've to leave you now! Get back to work, Child. Be good!". Soon, Mrs Ornacle was out of the house, leaving Liza to do all of the work she had been instructed to do. It was so much, but she would have a sing-song moment with herself, as she would scrub the floors and ceilings, just before doing the dirty laundry.

(1) (Reply)

The Enemy Within (A Short Screen Play) / Broken Heated (episode 8) / My Discovery Of Atlantis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.