Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,821 members, 7,945,628 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 09:30 PM

10 Reasons Turkey Military Coup Failed - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 10 Reasons Turkey Military Coup Failed (687 Views)

10 Reasons Why You Need Professional Home Cleaning Service / 10 Reasons Turkey Military Coup Failed / Top 10 Reasons Why You Visit Nairaland First Before Other Sites ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Reasons Turkey Military Coup Failed by freespch: 7:54pm On Jul 16, 2016
A faction of Turkish military staged an unsuccessful coup on Friday, leaving in its wake over 200 people killed and nearly 3,000 soldiers arrested for their roles.

President Tayyip Erdogan did not only survive the coup, but his administration did.

Reuters’ writers Ece Toksabay and Paul Taylor provide an insightful analysis of why the coup failed in a dramatic and swift way.

Here are 11 key points they raised:

1. The coup was by defeated by 21st century technology and people power.

2. The rebels struck on a weekend when the president was out of town at a holiday resort. They seized the main airport, sealed off a bridge over the Bosphorus in Istanbul, sent tanks to parliament and Ankara and to control the main road junctions, and broadcast a statement on TRT state television declaring a curfew and warning people to stay at home. But they failed to capture any of the ruling AK Party leaders or to shut down private television, mobile phone signals or social media networks, enabling Erdogan and his aides swiftly to call supporters into the streets to resist the coup.

3. Their biggest handicap, said Turkish analyst Sinan Ulgen of the Carnegie Europe think tank, was that they acted outside the military chain of command and hence lacked sufficient resources to take control of key levers of power.

4. The rebels also failed to capture any military installations or any of the (political) leadership.

5. Erdogan used modern communications technology nimbly to get his message out to the population of nearly 80 million, outflanking the plotters. He used the FaceTime video application on a reporter's smartphone to broadcast a message live on CNN Turk, a private TV station which the plotters tried but failed to silence.

6. Erdogan’s predecessor, Abdullah Gul, also used FaceTime to shout angry defiance at the coup plotters on CNN Turk, and former Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu spoke by mobile phone with Al Jazeera television to call the takeover a failure.

http://www.freespch.com/2016/07/16/10-reasons-turkey-military-coup-failed/
Re: 10 Reasons Turkey Military Coup Failed by dgalon(m): 8:02pm On Jul 16, 2016
Op I see only 6 and u said 10
Re: 10 Reasons Turkey Military Coup Failed by blaquemyc: 8:05pm On Jul 16, 2016
you want me to click that link to get the full list? Well, i ain't doing that.
Re: 10 Reasons Turkey Military Coup Failed by Juxtified(m): 8:22pm On Jul 16, 2016
The people obviously loved their President. That to me was the number one reason
Re: 10 Reasons Turkey Military Coup Failed by Vladm(m): 8:34pm On Jul 16, 2016
Let them come and learn from nigerian officers. Coup can be as successful as Muhammed Alis' career
Re: 10 Reasons Turkey Military Coup Failed by Kexorcist(m): 4:04pm On Jul 17, 2016
Trouble in the Turkey coup, eh?

(1) (Reply)

#savemayowa Was A Scam! She Was Sick But Beyond Treatment. / Meet The 21 Year Old Nigerian Car Maker / I Jus Buy 2 Dog, How I Go Take Name Dem To Avoid Wahala? (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.