Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,254 members, 7,880,945 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:44 AM

Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight (36989 Views)

Habits Women Must Stop In Lagos! / Pregnant Women In Ghana Now Reportedly Take Pills To Bleach Unborn Babies’ Skin / Igbo Landing(ibo Island): Where Igbos Made History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by boladapo(f): 9:04pm On Jul 17, 2016
Aww. This is serious. God bless d doctor and ease dere pains
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by shamecurls(m): 9:06pm On Jul 17, 2016
Summary please!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by stevenson007: 9:08pm On Jul 17, 2016
Hmmmm, informative. I use to think there are large amounts of snakes there that's why the area was given that name!
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jul 17, 2016
Hmm. Dia is need for d young gals to learn hw to cloz dia legs, and d young men too shuld stop using d advantage of d little naira d make to spoil gals.
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Beamborla(f): 9:09pm On Jul 17, 2016
Beehshorp:
Ok.. I diint read all those things to be honest cos I promised myself say after exam I no go read anything even if na siqnboard.. But according to the title I wonder why people no wan leave stone age and embrace civilisation and abolish certain culture
You really need to read the post, bro.

You might want to modify your post after reading it
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 17, 2016
Change is possible bt wil dis SCAM CHANGE GOVT DO DAT?
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by teapot(m): 9:13pm On Jul 17, 2016
Nah waoooo
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Nobody: 9:16pm On Jul 17, 2016
Before I left for PH, I spent over 20 years living close to that Island called Snake Island. In fact I and my siblings attended the Igbologun Secondary school captured in the report. So this news is about my former hood.

Anyway, the moral of the story is this : considering the distance that exists between the township and those villages, it's usually stressful getting pregnant women undergoing labour quick enough to get to adequate medical attention in the town.

To the story : In all my over 25 years of living there, I never for once heard about how prohibited and evil it is for our mothers and women to go into midnight labour. I new of a kids that were borne during the night hours. ..but shiit happens shaa.

Ijaw women take deliveries, whether or not it's midnight.

I miss my hood. From Coconut bus stop to the boat ride through the river down to the Island. A very daunting challenge for those not too conversant with the marine environment.

There are over 25 marine communities situated just opposite the NPA. My dad and some others worked tirelessly to ensure power supply was drawn from the Apapa township to the rural end but to no avail.

We've been living there for decades with very little government presence. No light. No water. No roads. Poverty level is crazy. Too many teen pregnancies. Too many secondary school drop outs. It was pure determination and grace that pulled me out from there.

It's being long Nigerian leaders have been useless.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by eleko1: 9:18pm On Jul 17, 2016
Emeka lives in Mama P house. The same mama PEACE get house for Igbologun. .
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by DrPureheart(m): 9:20pm On Jul 17, 2016
The doctor is really a good man. May God reward him.I feel sorry for the teenagers.. Our government really need to do something there.
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by missKiffy(f): 9:22pm On Jul 17, 2016
Cherishing:
If you think Lala.. was born at Igbologun snake island click cheesy
You don't have respect for Lala embarassed
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by ipreach: 9:23pm On Jul 17, 2016
lalasticlala, mynd44 why do u guys always ban me whenever i post article from Believe All.com? [without space between]
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Cherishing(f): 9:25pm On Jul 17, 2016
missKiffy:
You don't have respect for Lala embarassed
is he your boo
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Chukzyfcb(m): 9:34pm On Jul 17, 2016
I don't know if I'm right but this is where amuwo local govt chairman have to intervene immediately. Imagine a woman be in such state, with so much pain. Its horrible. If Only we had been operating on the fiscal federalism. I'm certain that part of lagos would have had considerable amount of development. #too bad
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by israelpalatoe(m): 10:14pm On Jul 17, 2016
I've been there twice. the OP did not mention the rich people on the snake island. also there are night clubs and Niger dock or so. Niger dock is a big international company.
that place is a small 'London' for some people. I love the sandy terrain and the speed boats.
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by mirob(f): 10:57pm On Jul 17, 2016
Judging from the write up, that island is poverty ridden and the government should please come to their aid, they are also part of Nigerians.
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Gbegiri101(m): 11:35pm On Jul 17, 2016
shocked sad shocked shocked

TEAM PHOTOSHOOT; SUPPORT AND VOTE PHOTOSHOOT FOR MR NAIRALAND 2016. Your vote counts, do not waste it. www.nairaland.com/photoshoot

Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Dotman2210(m): 11:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
Igbologun actually need alot of development and infrastructures like Healthcare centre,Schools,Tarred roads et al and also in need of soft infrastructure too all what the OP states there are very true
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by ycat: 2:52am On Jul 18, 2016
See names, no be here oo! How come most of the names don't sound Yoruba. How have they been living before now? I think some of these people went there to fish and then decide to stay. These are fishing villages and should remain just that. Not every small island you see is meant to be polluted. We need nature preserves like Fiji and Caribbean. Do your fishing business and go back to town. Government needs to secure all these islands before these militants go and build their makeshift huts and then start asking for handouts, and want the government to come and give them something.
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Heineken(m): 6:22am On Jul 18, 2016
prettysolid:
Is this write up not equivalent to a whole book undecided Na assignment? Abeg the title I read don do
as in ehn.. The thing long I no even know the alphabet wey start am.

1 Like

Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by VanBommel(m): 7:54am On Jul 18, 2016
Beehshorp:
Ok.. I diint read all those things to be honest cos I promised myself say after exam I no go read anything even if na siqnboard.. But according to the title I wonder why people no wan leave stone age and embrace civilisation and abolish certain culture
that's why you should have read the whole story to save you from this embarrassment. angry
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by chuksisaac: 9:44am On Jul 18, 2016
As I read this essay..tears filled my eyes..cus I spent the first ten years of my life in igbologun..my dad was then working @ nigerdock freezone...from wat I can remember...the company provided d community with free ligth from like 2001-2004..igbologun is filled with mostly ppl from calabar and cross river...around 2005 or so there was only one barber shop there wre we paid 20 naira per haircut....nd like only two private primary schools...(Island academy) don't know if the school still exist....but there were a number of religious institutions(religion is d opium of the ppl)okada business is lucarative there because there are really no road in which cars can pass through....and I can still remember ..whenever there was news of oil spillage in the opposite island young boys would enter their canoes with 50litre kegs..omo the next na story....nd I can't forget the number of coconut trees there..,a dre u go see mass disecting of coconut...nd my beloved church then.....wish d government would attend to their very needs..
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by KosiKinq(m): 11:07am On Jul 18, 2016
So You expect me to read all that?
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Asgid: 11:17am On Jul 18, 2016
To folks who stay in Lagos, kindly help out with this. It's really urgent: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe4ysJeqZ75d81LRr3oqsoG4qMgIlOb1QRtqfzUl8h91IWI2Q/viewform?c=0&w=1
Thanks!
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by hUmaneOne: 1:56pm On Jul 18, 2016
Beehshorp:

Yes o.you are so backward and uncivilized because you refused to read.
The body of the post didn't say they were superstitious.
They meant that there is only 1 doctor in the whole island and he is always busy.So if you come at night you will not receive care because he will be busy attending to other cases.. Same in the day.

Reading of for your own good, so as not to look stupid
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Georgville(m): 3:52pm On Jul 18, 2016
dearpreye:
Before I left for PH, I spent over 20 years living close to that Island called Snake Island. In fact I and my siblings attended the Igbologun Secondary school captured in the report. So this news is about my former hood.

To the story : In all my over 25 years of living there, I never for once heard about how prohibited and evil it is for our mothers and women to go into midnight labour. I new of a kids that were borne during the night hours. ..but shiit happens shaa.

Ijaw women take deliveries, whether or not it's midnight.

I miss my hood. From Coconut bus stop to the boat ride through the river down to the Island. A very daunting challenge for those not too conversant with the marine environment.

There are over 25 marine communities situated just opposite the NPA. My dad and some others worked tirelessly to ensure power supply was drawn from the Apapa township to the rural end but to no avail.

We've been living there for decades with very little government presence. No light. No water. No roads. Poverty level is crazy. Too many teen pregnancies. Too many secondary school drop outs. It was pure determination and grace that pulled me out from there.

It's being long Nigerian leaders have been useless.

If truly u spent 25 years of your life there u would have read the 'epistle' to know what's up with the community at the moment . There's no part the write up that said going into labour at midnight is prohibited or evil. READ!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Jasy(m): 11:39pm On Jul 18, 2016
lollmaolol:
Telling from my African Magic Experience. Really I'd sum up the work Snake Island + Pregnant women + night walking as = snake chasing pregnant women in the middle of the night especially when outside which could be scary and obviously needs government intervention. Chikena

Too long to read. grin
U obviously didn't read it

1 Like

Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by Jasy(m): 11:47pm On Jul 18, 2016
Don't just understand why some ppl dont want to read buh will just post a comment, makes y'all look retarded. On the issues at hand, well...our govt is really not a people's govt, so I guess help is not coming.......
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by jojosweet(f): 3:28pm On Jul 19, 2016
ModsAreMad:

Their
it could also be 'there,poverty needs to be elevated. ' grin punctuation is always important.
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by tomsy2: 8:51am On Dec 10, 2016
jojosweet:
it could also be 'there,poverty needs to be elevated. ' grin punctuation is always important.
Spelling is also important. 'Alleviate' meaning to lessen or reduce the impact of suffering. Not 'elevate' meaning to raise up.
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by jojosweet(f): 11:07pm On Dec 22, 2016
[quote author=tomsy2 post=51793269]
Spelling is also important. 'Alleviate' meaning to lessen or reduce the impact of suffering. Not 'elevate' meaning to raise up.[/quote.. thank you for the correction.
Re: Igbologun, Island Where Pregnant Women Must Not Go Into Labour At Midnight by KangaIye: 12:15pm On Oct 04, 2021
Alot of places like this still exist in this country

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Difference Between Customary Law Marriage And Statutory Marriage. / Abohs Of Delta State Are Not Igbos / Oduduwa Temple In Sao Paulo, Brazil (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.