Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,587 members, 7,978,953 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 05:30 PM

Northerners Are Not Better Leaders,southerners Are Just Good Followers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northerners Are Not Better Leaders,southerners Are Just Good Followers (563 Views)

Return Home Now, Afenifere Tells Southerners / Atiku - Nigerians Should Be Patient With Buhari, Elect Better Leaders Next Time / Why 90 Percent Of Southerners Are Tired Of Buhari's Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northerners Are Not Better Leaders,southerners Are Just Good Followers by demzylahot(m): 5:46pm On Jul 18, 2016
I remember discussing with Michael Elijah as was the norm whenever we had a little time off our busy school schedule, issues ranging from career, lifestyle & fashion and even the negative effects of social media were always at the forefront of discussion. On this day, our discussion took a political trajectory when I popped the topic of Northerners dominance of the country's political terrain vis-a-vis why the Northerners held sway as the group producing the most number of presidents, why they always produce a President without breaking a sweat and how they hold the country to ransome if they don't have their way? I asked a question, Michael we've hardly had a President from the southern part of the country since Nigeria got her independence,what could be responsible for this? "Northerners are better leaders" was his reply, I was a bit startled by his answer, I wanted to drag the argument further when I remembered how often I have accused of trying to win arguments despite not having a strong premise, this wasn't the case on the day, it was a rare case of a stonewall blankness to push the argument further.
As I laid on my bed recollecting every word, we said that day, I have arrived at the conclusion that Northerners are no better leaders, here is why:
Nigeria gained independence in 1960, we have had 15 presidents (elected/coup)a paltry 4 have southern roots,these lends credence to the fact that a larger chunk of the presidency has been held by the Northeners. If the definition of a leader by webminister is appropriate, then a good leader is expected to lay a marker so that even in death we still speak good of him, can we point to such past presidents in the North? If the Northerners are such great leaders, how come we are still largely underdeveloped and still carrying the third word country tag? South Africa with just a population of 40 million people can boast of 40,000 megawatts of electricity for her citizens ie 1KVA per citizen against Nigeria's 3000 megawatts for 170 million people. Libya has four functional refineries despite having a tyrant/fugitive at the helm of affairs for almost three decades. Ghana is the new educational destination of Nigeria, these all point to our past leaders were power driven rather than purpose driven.
THE SOUTHENERS ARE GOOD FOLLOWERS
The Southerners are their own enemies, l still vividly recall the unpleasant experiences I had in the process of getting my PVC..Registration had just started for prospective voters and also the collection of PVC for already registered voters in 2010, I was informed of the PVC by my younger sister. I had to make my journey home despite the short notice so as to be able to exercise my franchise when election commences. Having been informed that my previous registration was unexisting, I headed to the new registration centre which was a merger of five other centres, I was startled to see a crowd equivalent to that of a crusade ground of Rev. Reinhard Bonnke or Bishop David Oyedepo gathering either to register or collect their PVC. I forced my way with my slender frame to the inec's ad hoc staff table despite the presence of many huge booties. The young man in charge of distributing the PVC effortless scanned through the pile of cards and said mine was missing, I tried to persuade him to allow me search for it more carefully but he bluntly refused. The only available option was to join a queue as long as the ones we have been seeing when there is fuel scarcity and only NNPC have the product. I went back the following day quite early to meet an even larger crowd, I was patient enough to wait till when it was almost dust without even getting close to registering. I finally gave up after efforts to register proved abortive.
There were shouts all over the country when underaged kids were spotted voting in parts of the North.I wonder how they achieved that when most eligible voters down south couldn't register. It's crystal clear that the North understands the politics of number and uses it to full effect. While we had inec ad hoc staff here who wasn't dedicated, acting like they weren't paid for the job, theirs probably went from house to house to register both eligible and ineligible voters.
Aniedi Effiong, one of the foot soldiers of Muhammadu Buhari was very elated when Buhari was announced as the President elect,he said little things like jumping queues and even urinating at inappropriate places will be a thing of the past having successfully orchestrated War Against Indiscipline during his reign as military head of state,he is one the few lucky guys who have parents and uncles as good story tellers. Even if things get worse which I'm praying against, I don't see President Muhammadu Buhari leaving Aso rock before 2023.
Re: Northerners Are Not Better Leaders,southerners Are Just Good Followers by agitator: 5:53pm On Jul 18, 2016
Ok
Re: Northerners Are Not Better Leaders,southerners Are Just Good Followers by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 18, 2016
Sure North are Not good leaders, just that Power from south was taken after Biafran war and since then even the remaining Southerners that help silenced the agile part of the south till date can't dominate again. Another question will be why are the North controlling Vital positions in government but can't be seen in vital private and public institutions ?
Re: Northerners Are Not Better Leaders,southerners Are Just Good Followers by demzylahot(m): 6:42pm On Jul 18, 2016
ugohemma:
Sure North are Not good leaders, just that Power from south was taken Southerners that help silenced the agile part of the south till date can't dominate again. Another question will be why are the North controlling Vital positions in government but can't be seen in vital private and public institutions ?
True ...they won't wield so much authority & influence in private institutions
Re: Northerners Are Not Better Leaders,southerners Are Just Good Followers by Huasamafia1: 6:45pm On Jul 18, 2016
I reject this .me follower to a gambari idiot. It is the afonjas that are their aslicking coward follower
Re: Northerners Are Not Better Leaders,southerners Are Just Good Followers by Bethelwealthy(m): 7:00pm On Jul 18, 2016
........stupid FOLLOWERS, you mean to say??
Re: Northerners Are Not Better Leaders,southerners Are Just Good Followers by OZAOEKPE(f): 7:01pm On Jul 18, 2016
speak for your AFONJA tribes and not for us
Re: Northerners Are Not Better Leaders,southerners Are Just Good Followers by Luckylife(m): 7:29pm On Jul 18, 2016
And don't care till they are almost taken unawares.
Re: Northerners Are Not Better Leaders,southerners Are Just Good Followers by demzylahot(m): 7:47pm On Jul 18, 2016
Luckylife:
And don't care till they are almost taken unawares.
exactly cry

(1) (Reply)

National Issues Ben Bruce Has Not Talked About / AGF To Reopen Ibori, 30 Ex-govs’ Corruption Cases / Buhari Reappoints Mbam As New RMAFC Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.