Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,059 members, 7,946,615 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 10:30 PM

Is Vincent Janssen (new Tottenham Signing) Really Ready For The Premier League? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Is Vincent Janssen (new Tottenham Signing) Really Ready For The Premier League? (489 Views)

Is Super Eagles Really Ready For Russia 2018 World Cup / Promise Vincent Enyeama To Husband: 'Freezing Cold But I've Got You My Warmer' / Tottenham Sign Fernabache Striker Vincent Janssen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is Vincent Janssen (new Tottenham Signing) Really Ready For The Premier League? by luciomoggi(m): 12:10am On Jul 19, 2016
By Ewah Chika.

Mauricio Pochettino seems to have taken a risk after he sanctioned the shelling of a whopping €21 million for AZ Alkmaar's top striker Vincent Janssen this summer. Even though Harry Kane finished last season on a high as the highest goal scorer in the league ( 25 goals ), the signing of the Dutch man is paramount considering the possibility of injury and fatigue setting in on Kane later on in the season.

"I don't know how I will react. AZ are blocking my dream transfer. That's incredibly disappointing," Janssen said when AZ demanded that Spurs increase their bid.

The Dutch man is not yet a finished article judging from his light yearugs of top flight experience, yet this doesn't remove any thing from the fact that his signing is a bargain going by his last season exploits . The former Feyenoord academy player scored an impressive 27 goals despite failing to score in his first seven league games, he also provided a further four assists in 34 Dutch Eredivisie games of which 32 were starts. The Dutch man ended the season as the youngest player to score more than 25 in a league campaign since Ronaldo 27 years ago for PSV. The striker is a two-footed player and not just a penalty box player as he averaged 4.5 shots per game last season (152 shots in total for the season) , creating 57 chances with a pass accuracy of 73%. Janssen also has the ability to play in tight areas with his top notch dribbling coupled with his ability to play key passes.

Janssen's journey to the top wasn't a walk in the park as the youngster was released by Feyenoord three years ago for not been good enough. Also to be noted is the fact that the Dutch man only joined AZ Alkmaar last summer from Almere City (Dutch Football's second tier). In his one and only season in AZ, Janssen fired them to fourth on the table and thus qualifying for the Europa League.

Janssen has also scored three goals in his first five games for the Netherlands and has emerged as the number one centre-forward for the national team.

However, one major flaw to Janssen's game is his inexperience at the top level, poor offside awareness and inability to play in any other position except as a centre-forward. The striker has the tendency of straying to offside positions during key moments in a game and this is something Premier League defenders will exploit to the fullest.

Although the Erevidise has regularly produced forwards who have scored impressive goals in the Dutch league only to flop abroad with Afonso Alves (Heerenveen to Middlesbrough) , Mateja Kezman ( PSV to Chelsea) , the case of Janssen is different and is more likely close to that of both Graziano Pelle (Feyenoord to Southampton) and Wilfred Bony ( Viettese to Swansea).

"People can say what they want , but I'm not afraid of anybody . Kane is a great striker, but we will see how it goes. We can compliment each other and I think I can learn a lot from him," he said upon signing for Spurs.

Finally there is no doubt that Janssen is in a club that has a history of nurturing youngsters and has a coach who has deep knowledge on how to make talented youngsters stars, time is on his side and the sky is his limit.

mailtelegraph..co.ke/2016/07/is-vincent-janssen-new-tottenham.html?m=1

(1) (Reply)

Chelsea 1-0 Liverpool : Cahill Heads Blues To Icc Win / 2 To 4 Odds 85% Sure Games / Saudi Athlete Withdraws From Olympics To Avoid Israel In Next Round

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.