Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,750 members, 7,875,883 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 12:35 AM

Refuting Lies About Islam - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Refuting Lies About Islam (1021 Views)

10 Amazing revelations About Islam And Christianity God gave me. / Refuting Mario Joseph And The Gullible Christians / Lies About Muslims Converting To Christianity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Refuting Lies About Islam by twozero(m): 2:47pm On Jul 19, 2016
To respond to and refute some of the most widely spread false claims about Islam, the Prophet Muhammad and the teachings of the Quran. To also clarify the Islamic position on certain important issues

What is Taqiyya?

The Anti-Muslim demagogues love to talk about this weird, so called, rule that permits Muslims to lie to spread Islam. I had never even heard of it until I was accused of it by someone in a discussion once. The basic idea, according to them, is that if any Muslim ever denies being a blood thirsty lunatic engaged in perpetual war against the West, they must be lying. Muslims are simply presumed guilty, and if we profess innocence that is only further evidence of our guilt. 

It should be fairly clear to any rational being that lying to spread a religion is nonsensical. If I lie to you about what Islam is and you convert I haven't spread Islam because what you have accepted was a lie.

These constant stream of Islamophobes carping on about how Muslims are allowed to lie to non-Muslims whilst appealing to something called “taqiyyah” (also spelled, “takiya” and “taqiyya”) also end up convincing the average joe non muslim about this myth

Rather than relying on shoddy hate sites/Christian missionaries to educate us about taqiyyah we shall rely on SCHOLARLY authority – largely in the form of R. Strothmann’s relevant section in “Shorter Encyclopaedia of Islam” (by H.A.R. Gibb and J.H. Kramers) and Cyril Glasse’s Concise Encyclopedia of Islam 

What is “Taqiyyah”, “Takiya”, “Taqiyya”?

This term is spelt variously; “taqiyyah”, “takiya” or “taqiyya”. 

“Takiya (A.), caution, fear (see glossarium to Tabari S.V. T-K-A) pr kitman, “disguise” is the technical term for dispensation from the requirements of religion under compulsion or threat of injury.

Taqiyyah (From the root word waqa “to safeguard”; “self-protection” and hence “dissimulation [in order to protect oneself]”).”

So, taqiyyah (takiya, taqiyya) is concerning dissimulation due to force – i.e. when an individual is forced to conceal. 

Sadly, Islamophobes – in order to obtain an unchecked platform and/or demonise Muslims – have misapplied this term in their exaggerated claims of “Muslims are allowed to lie to the unbelievers”.

At what level of force is Takiya (Taqiyyah, Taqiya) justified?

But an individual is not justified in takiya nor bound to hidjra [emigration] if the compulsion remains within the endurable limits, as in the case of temporary imprisonment or flogging which does not result in death”

So, this make a mockery of the Islamophobes’ general suggestions of “Muslims are allowed to lie to the unbelievers” as even under threat of imprisonment and flogging Muslims are not justified in takiya. The level of force which justifies oneself in takiya is that of an unbearable level.

Takiya (taqiyya, taqiyyah) and the type of lies…
One may ask, what type of “disguise” is allowed under takiya (taqiyyah, taqiyya)? 

Let’s be clear about takiya (taqiyyah, taqiyya); “The principle of dissimulation of one’s religious beliefs in order to avoid persecution or imminent harm, where no useful purpose would be served by publicly affirming them.”

So takiya (taqiyyah, taqiyya) is not used to convert folk to Islam nor is it used in Islamic text books or anything of such a nature. It is simply a form of concealment used to avoid persecution!

For further clarity, we are not talking about general, everyday fibs here, thus the ethical question of dishonesty is bypassed:“

The ethical question whether such forced lies are nevertheless lies, such a forced denial of the faith nevertheless a denial, is not put at all by one “who conceal himself” as he is not in a state of confidence which would be broken by lies or denial.”

Sadly, our Islamophobic counterparts attempt to convince the gullible that takiya (taqiyyah, taqiyya) allows Muslims to lie (or conceal) about aspects of their faith (Islam) as well as lie in general. 

Famous case of Taqiyyah (Taqiyya, Takiya)

A common example of takiya (taqiyyah, taqiya) involves a Muslim (Ammar B. Yasir, a companion of the Prophet Muhammad, p) being forced to worship idols and insult the Prophet of Islam.

The level of force the polytheists applied on Ammar bin Yasir can be imagined by Amr bin Maymoon’s statement, “The polytheists tortured Ammar with fire”.

“Abu Ubaydah bin Muhammad bin Ammar bin Yasir said: The polytheists seized Ammar and they did not let him off until he was forced to insult the Messenger of Allah and say good things about their deities”

Ammar bin Yasir told Prophet Muhammad (p) of what he was forced to say. 

“The Prophet (p) said: “Say it again if they ask (i.e. force) you to do so”.”

So, in order to avoid such torture the Prophet allowed Ammar bin Yasir to use “taqiyya”

If Jesus (pbuh) had done the same, our Christian friends would have lauded it as an act of piety and mercy. Instead we see Islamophobes exaggerating this form of concealment in order to demonise Muslims. It’s a crazy old world!

Taqiyyah and the Shi’ites (Shia)

"It is, however, associated most closely with the Shi’ites who practiced taqiyyah systematically and widely during periods of Sunni domination to hide their beliefs from Sunni Muslims.

"Obviously, if these Shi’ites felt they would have been persecuted for publicly announcing their shia beliefs, one can understand why they concealed (used taqiyya) their beliefs.

Is taqiyyah allowed in the Quran?

Our Islamophobic friends jump up and down in joy whilst proclaiming taqiyyah (taqiyya, takiya) is allowed in the Quran. Let’s analyse (via scholarship) the two Verses they cite.

Quran 16:106 and taqiyyah (taqiyya, takiya)?

Whoso disbelieveth in Allah after his belief - save him who is forced thereto and whose heart is still content with the Faith - but whoso findeth ease in disbelief: On them is wrath from Allah. Theirs will be an awful doom. [Pikthal translation of the Quran 16:106]

The reason for this verse is unanimously said to have been the case of Ammar b. Yasir, whose conscience was set at rest by this revelation when he was worried about his forced worshipping of idols and objurgation of the Prophet.

The story of Ammar bin Yassir is relayed earlier (see above).

Tabari says on Sura 16:106 (Tafsir, Bulak 1323 sqq.24.122): If any one is compelled and professes unbelief with his tongue, while his heart contradicts him, to escape his enemies, no blame falls him on him, because God takes his servants as their hearts believe”

The Quran’s (16:106) allowance of uttering disbelief whilst under extreme force is hardly justification for the outrageous smears the Islamophobes propagate.

Quran 3:28 and taqiyyah (taqiyya, takiya)?

Let not the believers take disbelievers for their guardians in preference to believers. Whoso doeth that hath no connection with Allah unless (it be) that ye but guard yourselves against them, taking (as it were) security. Allah biddeth you beware (only) of Himself. Unto Allah is the journeying. [Pikthal translation of the Quran 3:28]

This Verse instructs Muslims to not take the unbelievers as patrons over the believers but does allow for this in the case of fear. Tuqatan is used here (a verbal noun of taqiyyah). Tafsir Jalalayn explains:
“unless you protect yourselves against them, as a safeguard (tuqātan, ‘as a safeguard’, is the verbal noun from taqiyyatan), that is to say, [unless] you fear something, in which case you may show patronage to them through words, but not in your hearts” [Tafsir Jalalayn – 3:28]

It is hardly something Islamophobes can latch onto as evidence for their demonization of Muslims as this Verse allows concealment (taqiyyah, taqiyya, takiya) in the case of fear (i.e. to avoid persecution). We are essentially back to where we started as initially stated on taqiyyah:

Takiya (A.), caution, fear (see glossarium to Tabari S.V. T-K-A) pr kitman, “disguise” is the technical term for dispensation from the requirements of religion under compulsion or threat of injury.

Taqiyyah (From the root word waqa “to safeguard”; “self-protection” and hence “dissimulation [in order to protect oneself]”).

Lying about the Prophet Muhammad (p)

Islamophobes, in an attempt to obtain an unchecked platform, do suggest Muslims misinform (“use taqiyya”) about the Prophet Muhammad (p). This is an utter absurdity as it is a grave sin for a Muslim to misinform about the Prophet Muhammad as the Prophet stated:

“Whoever lies about me intentionally shall take a place for himself in hell” (al-Adhkar (y102), 510-12)

In fact, presenting misinformation about the Prophet (p) was considered an extreme offense amongst early Muslim communities:

Habib ibn ar-Rabi’ said that it is disbelief to alter his [Prophet Muhammad’s] description and its details. The one who does that openly is an unbeliever. He is asked to repent.

So much for the Islamophobes claims of “Muslims using taqiyyah” regarding Prophet Muhammad (p).

Conclusion
Taqiyyah (taqiya, takiya) is not something to be writing home about. To use this practice to brandish Muslims as untrustworthy (or to demonise them) is unscholarly and unjust.If you do encounter an anti-Muslim bigot on the internet crying “taqiyya” (there are plenty about), please do send him/her to this post to be educated

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by annunaki2(m): 3:22pm On Jul 19, 2016
First of all I want to state that this OP is full of lies and misrepresentations, in other words it's full of al taquiya to launder the image of islam. tongue

Secondly you stated as a muslim that it is a sin as a muslim to lie about mohammed but then according to authentic islamic sources, mohammed was a caravan raider(armed robber), paedophile, rapist, murderer, narcissist and adulterer. Why do most muslims deny these facts even though they are clearly stated in the quoran and sahih hadiths?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by aminusanti(m): 3:42pm On Jul 19, 2016
annunaki2:
First of all I want to state that this OP is full of lies and misrepresentations, in other words it's full of al taquiya to launder the image of islam. tongue

Secondly you stated as a muslim that it is a sin as a muslim to lie about mohammed but then according to authentic islamic sources, mohammed was a caravan raider(armed robber), paedophile, rapist, murderer, narcissist and adulterer. Why do most muslims deny these facts even though they are clearly stated in the quoran and sahih hadiths?
Don't be deceived by the satan agents theyre not here for knowledge seeking n Pls don't waste a sec on this foolish negro, they're on a sponsored group mission to blaspheme anything islam so, just ignore them
Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by annunaki2(m): 3:49pm On Jul 19, 2016
aminusanti:

Don't be deceived by the satan agents theyre not here for knowledge seeking n Pls don't waste a sec on this foolish negro, they're on a sponsored group mission to blaspheme anything islam so, just ignore them

Why don't you just refute the allegations I made without resorting to al taquiya if you want me and others to gain knowledge instead of resorting to insults to cover up for islam.

2 Likes

Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by aminusanti(m): 4:48pm On Jul 19, 2016
annunaki2:

Why don't you just refute the allegations I made without resorting to al taquiya if you want me and others to gain knowledge instead of resorting to insults to cover up for islam.
Nonsense
Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by sainttwist1(m): 5:11pm On Jul 19, 2016
annunaki2:

guy THEY are warming you now ehhh....if THEY catch u wetin happen for kano, abuja etc na small thing ooo. some1 is looking for vargin and u are calling him a lier, you beta no let anybody use your head as trophy......just saying ni temi ni ooo
Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by annunaki2(m): 6:52am On Jul 20, 2016
aminusanti:

Nonsense

Just as I thought, you have no case. Pathetic islamic al taquiyaist. tongue
Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by annunaki2(m): 6:54am On Jul 20, 2016
sainttwist1:
guy THEY are warming you now ehhh....if THEY catch u wetin happen for kano, abuja etc na small thing ooo. some1 is looking for vargin and u are calling him a lier, you beta no let anybody use your head as trophy......just saying ni temi ni ooo

That's the beauty of the internet and anonymous forums like this, you can expose the truth about islam and still have your head intact. grin

1 Like

Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by sainttwist1(m): 7:07am On Jul 20, 2016
annunaki2:

That's the beauty of the internet and anonymous forums like, you can expose the truth about islam and still have your head intact. grin
THEY fit you ooo dont forget na THEM dey in charge of all the security in nigeria
Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 20, 2016
sainttwist1:
THEY fit you ooo dont forget na THEM dey in charge of all the security in nigeria

Forget it. Nothing like that is ever gonna happen.
The strongest nations on earth is us, Russia, America and Germany - Orthodox Christians, where were they when we been working hard to gain such power. Where were they when ISIS was eating their brothers in Iraq and Syria, didn't they look to us for help? Even this our president who obviously doesn't have a single idea what he's doing, who's bringing blackwater mercenaries to fight NDA, a beg where this mercenary fellows day when ISIS day finish them for Syria and Iraq? And even Afghanistan?

Unless you don't know the God you serve, u speak like this. I'm orthodox Christian to the teeth, and I'm armed and dangerous, God in heaven is ma power, if they try it, God in heaven will visit them as he visited Elijah and priests of Baal in days of the bible.

I have said mine.
Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by udatso: 11:33pm On Jul 20, 2016
Some people are just foolish and can't be helped. Someone just took his time to explain altaqiyya but an ignoramus still claimed he is still guilty of it.
If he is practising altaquiyya, why waste your time asking him to refute your baseless allegations if at the end if the day he will always be a liar in your eyes?
Pathetic

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by Demmzy15(m): 1:03am On Jul 21, 2016
udatso:
Some people are just foolish and can't be helped. Someone just took his time to explain altaqiyya but an ignoramus still claimed he is still guilty of it.
If he is practising altaquiyya, why waste your time asking him to refute your baseless allegations if at the end if the day he will always be a liar in your eyes?
Pathetic
Bunch of confused mofos!

1 Like

Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by udatso: 12:33pm On Jul 21, 2016
Demmzy15:
Bunch of confused mofos!
I tell ya
Re: Refuting Lies About Islam by annunaki2(m): 12:58pm On Jul 21, 2016
Demmzy15:
Bunch of confused mofos!
udatso:

I tell ya

(1) (Reply)

US Presidential Election: TB Joshua Could Be Right Afterall- Pics / This INJUSTICE Is Too Much / 7 Turning Point Conversations With God By Dr. Mike Murdock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.