Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,195 members, 7,880,717 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:06 AM

7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast (31974 Views)

IMF: Nigerian Economy May Collapse If… / Ribadu Names Nigerians Who ‘Frustrated’ Fight Against Corruption / Senate Moves To Upturn Odili’s Perpetual Injunction - The Sun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by 2naira50kobo: 2:37am On Jul 21, 2016
Bolustic:
[b]The main problem of Nigeria isn't over dependence on oil alone it's over dependence on imports. Tell me one finished product Nigeria exports, none!!! Economic diversification is the only way and it's always a long term project, so I'm non-plussed with IMF's negative economic indices.

I feel the PMB's government should focus on:

1). The revitalisation of Ajaokuta Steel Mills, if fully functional, it can serve Nigeria and West Africa,

2). Assisting Kebbi and Ebonyi states in rice plantations, it's on the record that Nigeria spent over 1 trillion naira on food imports in 2015 alone of which you and I know the percentage rice is gonna carry,

3) Reviving the moribund textile industry, why should Nigeria still import clothing materials?

4) Carrying out massive reforms on the Nigerian education system, studying abroad is one of the factors placing strain on the dollars, Nigeria loses billions of dollars to UK, US India, South Africa and even Ghana and Benin Republic,

5) Nigerians love cars, Innoson Motors needs to have plants in Lagos and Kano as well as engage in aggressive advertisements, else it would be still be seen as an eastern, not Nigerian car

6) Lend all support to Dangote as regards his refinery, refining oil in Nigeria will ease the burden on the naira in no small way.

7) Work harder on power generation.
[/b]

Finally, the government needs to realize that WHAT WE DON'T HAVE IS WHAT WE DON'T NEED. Outrightly ban imports on things like tooth pick, brushes, Polish etc

I read the first two points raised here and liked the post immediately. It makes more than common sense.

Ajaokuta is a 'goldmine' to Nigeria and sub Saharan Africa. Without the steel mill fully functional, one cannot even talk of indegenous manufacture of cars, roofing sheets, construction materials, heavy equipment & mechanical parts in industrial quantities.

For example, If innoson sourced his car parts, panels, engine blocks etc from Ajaokuta steel rolling mill instead of designing and manufacturing the parts in a foreign country, shipping them to Nigeria and assembling them at his plant, his demand for foreign exchange would be reduced drastically, the cost of production would reduce, the vehicles would be affordable as 'fuckkk' and likewise, other users of the products of the mill would cut sourcing for foreign exchange to procure these inputs into their production process. The resulting effects spirals into other sectors of the economy which would amount to great gains for Nigeria and Nigerians.

People, the rice in Ebonyi state is the real rice, not the expired 'plastic' that is being imported into the country and bagged using different labels... All that is needed is aggresive mechanization in cultivating and processing the rice.

Is it too much to ask for constant electricity?!

We have all it takes to be great. It's so simple but we make it look extremely difficult. This is because of our self interest.

Support local production, put a ban on the importation of goods that can be conveniently produced and can sustain its demand, continually evaluate the local production strength and place appropriate bans where needed to further strenghten the local market.

When things start working as they should, the economy would stabilise itself like a spinning coin.

**For the record - If you have not tasted Ebonyi (Abakaliki) rice, you have not yet eaten rice**
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by onatisi(m): 3:43am On Jul 21, 2016
sweetgala:

You just exposed yourself to be an illiterate, you probably spend your days on the street corner reading newspapers, while taking little time to ponder on the issues at hand.

Nigeria was headed into a recession a long time before Buhari took office, the results of several decades of poor governance, lack of direction , severe corruption and despicable leadership. The only consequence Buhari actions or In actions has affected is the immediate severity of the recession, it's interaction with public life and the process of recovery.

The only thing that could have saved us from recession was a bad IMF deal and i'm glad we did not take it, it would have put our grandchildren in penury and subjection for another lifetime
ok I no go argue . Dey manage am
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by MasterofdRolls1(m): 5:29am On Jul 21, 2016
cktheluckyman:
Fashola,Emefiele,Kemi and of course Buhari himself has already proven to be clueless,so next !!!!

I was even expecting to see the names of Billionaires like Dangote, Innosson, not these clueless lot. A government that fails to deliver anything in its first year, probably have nothing else to offer, because after the second year, election process commences.
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by supereagle(m): 5:31am On Jul 21, 2016
I don't believe it that Nigeria has no seaport, where do these ships berth when come to Nigeria.
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by thetrimqueen: 5:37am On Jul 21, 2016
Bolustic:
[b]The main problem of Nigeria isn't over dependence on oil alone it's over dependence on imports. Tell me one finished product Nigeria exports, none!!! Economic diversification is the only way and it's always a long term project, so I'm non-plussed with IMF's negative economic indices.

I feel the PMB's government should focus on:

1). The revitalisation of Ajaokuta Steel Mills, if fully functional, it can serve Nigeria and West Africa,

2). Assisting Kebbi and Ebonyi states in rice plantations, it's on the record that Nigeria spent over 1 trillion naira on food imports in 2015 alone of which you and I know the percentage rice is gonna carry,

3) Reviving the moribund textile industry, why should Nigeria still import clothing materials?

4) Carrying out massive reforms on the Nigerian education system, studying abroad is one of the factors placing strain on the dollars, Nigeria loses billions of dollars to UK, US India, South Africa and even Ghana and Benin Republic,

5) Nigerians love cars, Innoson Motors needs to have plants in Lagos and Kano as well as engage in aggressive advertisements, else it would be still be seen as an eastern, not Nigerian car

6) Lend all support to Dangote as regards his refinery, refining oil in Nigeria will ease the burden on the naira in no small way.

7) Work harder on power generation.
[/b]

Finally, the government needs to realize that WHAT WE DON'T HAVE IS WHAT WE DON'T NEED. Outrightly ban imports on things like tooth pick, brushes, Polish etc
you just took the words out of my mouth. Most Nigerians are too in love with luxury to let go. I just pray we do not actually get to a point where nothing van be done again
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by onatisi(m): 6:00am On Jul 21, 2016
MasterofdRolls1:

I was even expecting to see the names of Billionaires like Dangote, Innosson, not these clueless lot. A government that fails to deliver anything in its first year, probably have nothing else to offer, because after the second year, election process commences.

Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by Nobody: 6:06am On Jul 21, 2016
madridguy:
I BELIEVE IN SAI BABA.
I stand with Buhari.
sai buhariya!
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by gbodimowo(m): 6:45am On Jul 21, 2016
cktheluckyman:
Fashola,Emefiele,Kemi and of course Buhari himself has already proven to be clueless,so next !!!!

Bihari is the one holding their hands
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by gbodimowo(m): 6:46am On Jul 21, 2016
kings09:
OP no security chief among dem? Cos u shld knw a peaceful n secure country attracts FDIs. Fashola I believe is working, Emefiele is licking Buhari's butt so cnt do much, Adeosun keeps speaking her unproductive queen's english, Kachikwu...hmmm

Adeosun's "we would" you mean?
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by Nobody: 9:41am On Jul 21, 2016
It is obvious that since the British left the shores of Nigeria to our greedy and selfish founding fathers.. all we have been doing is IF, IF, IF, IF if wishes were horses, beggars will ride.. all that submission is based on many BIG IFs.. how tragic
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by SaintUlot: 10:06am On Jul 21, 2016
Make money daily directly into your bank account. Check my signature to get started
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by awayeyebundle: 10:28am On Jul 21, 2016
The administration are depleted with ideas and does'nt know what to do....i think Nigerians are tired of their clueless ideas and ideology....The policies of this administration are too harsh where u don't produce anything and restraining business transaction...(2) Power should be at least 10hours a day throughout a day in the whole country.(3) Finance minister should work with Emeifele CBN governor to know how to uptrun the present allooming situation of the economy and carry PMB,i see them operating as entities instead of team work.(3) Buhari should buy ideas not thinking he knows it all because nobody knows it all,either from ur predecessor and elite in business.
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by kings09(m): 10:43am On Jul 21, 2016
grin cheesy the ApC future tense syndrome
gbodimowo:

Adeosun's "we would" you mean?
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by Sunofgod(m): 12:30pm On Jul 21, 2016
sweetgala:

Only the poor in UK ! the only mug here is you.

austerity does not affect the poor you dunce but the middle class, the bulk tax contributors and those responsible for the vast amount of commercial transactions. The poor in UK etc have always been dependent on social policies and are so at the mercy of the state.

The only people who went unscathed were the lucky.

Shows how much you know.

Did they cut your benefits or something? Or did your landlord up the rent on you?

The middle class that tend to be property owners were in no way affected. If they were they would have lost there houses which would result in a property market crash or decline.

No such thing happened in the UK and as of today the unemployment rate is at one of its lowest levels.

Its only the poorest of the poor complaining - mainly because their benefits/free handouts were capped which was very much needed.

So many of those rif raf have had to leave london and find cheaper accommodation further north.
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by Niyinficient(m): 5:02am On Jul 22, 2016
stano2:
make I join u joor

Gay.asses sighted
Re: 7 Nigerians Who Can Upturn IMF's Depressing GDP Forecast by sweetgala(m): 9:05pm On Jul 22, 2016
Sunofgod:

Shows how much you know.

Did they cut your benefits or something? Or did your landlord up the rent on you?

The middle class that tend to be property owners were in no way affected. If they were they would have lost there houses which would result in a property market crash or decline.

No such thing happened in the UK and as of today the unemployment rate is at one of its lowest levels.

Its only the poorest of the poor complaining - mainly because their benefits/free handouts were capped which was very much needed.

So many of those rif raf have had to leave london and find cheaper accommodation further north.

Nonsense.. I'll remind you life is beyond London city in UK. The sad reason brexit didn't have a chance.

1 - I was not a recipient of benefits so I had none to loose, however the housing problem had been ridiculous since due to the banking failure that resulted in the slow down of construction for many years.

The cost of home leasing in cities like London and Dublin especially had been ridiculous , while the price of homes is starting to rebound to pre recession value which were over valued to start with for many years house prices crashed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bloody Clash Between Fayose And Olujimi Supporters In Ekiti State / Chad President Tells Boko Haram Leader To Surrender Or Face Death / Why I Will Not Welcome Buhari To Ekiti, By Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.