Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,061 members, 7,977,024 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 05:51 PM

Southerners Are More Nigerian Than The Northerners - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southerners Are More Nigerian Than The Northerners (863 Views)

Return Home Now, Afenifere Tells Southerners / Abu Ali’s Death: "Why Boko Haram Is Killing More Nigerian Soldiers" - Premium T / Why 90 Percent Of Southerners Are Tired Of Buhari's Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southerners Are More Nigerian Than The Northerners by cnwokike(m): 9:18am On Jul 22, 2016
In 2007 when Chief Olusegun Obasanjo sought for 3rd term in office as the President of Nigeria, I was vehemently against the move. I wish I knew what I know now at that time, I would have given my all to support the bid.
You may be wondering why the talk of OBJ now in 2016, and I will say why not talk about a man who was truly a statesman and not just mere politician like we have witnessed in the last administration and the current administration.

In 1999, when former President Obasanjo, a Southerner was elected, he distributed the positions in his kitchen cabinet in such a way that did not favour his state, region or ethnic group. And this has distinguished him as a true statesman, who has moral authority in any part of Nigeria. He appointed Ufot Ekaette from South-South as the Secretary to the Government of the Federation. His National Security Adviser was Gen. Aliyu Mohammed Gusau from the North-West. His Chief of Staff was Gen. Abdullahi Ahmed from the North-Central. His ADC was Col. Giwa Amu from the South-South. He appointed Andy Uba from South-East as his special assistant on domestic matters. Gen. T.Y Danjuma from the North-East was minister of Defence, Admiral Ibrahim Ogohi from the North-Central was chief of Defence Staff, Gen. Victor Malu from North-Central was Chief of Army Staff, Air Marshal Isaac Alfa from North-Central was Chief of Air staff, Musiliu Smith from South-West was the Inspector General of Police and Col. Sunday Are was Director-General of the Department of State Services.

Compare this with President Buhari’s appointments: NSA, Gen Babagana Mungono, North-East; Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari, North-East, SGF Babachir David Lawal, North-East; ADC, Lt. Col Muhammed Lawal Abubakar, North-West; CSO, Abubakar Usman, North-West; DG DSS, Lawal Daura, North-West; Minister of Defence, Gen. Mansur Mohammed, North-West; CDS, Gen. Abayomi Olonisakin, South-West; Chief of Army Staff, Gen. Tukur Buratai, North-East; Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Saddique Abubakar, North-East, Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas, South-South; IGP, Ibrahim Idris, North-Central. Buhari, a Northerner, has given more appointments to the North in contrast with Obasanjo – a Southerner, who gave more appointments to the North, and this is not statesmanlike enough.
Though I beg all the “wailers” to pardon me. I support the current nepotic government during the campaign. How would I have known that CHANGE has gotten another definition? Its seems CHANGE in the Nigerian context is chanji – lopsidedness. Afterall, my vote for change did not count as I am classified as 5%.

The only thing that has kept the nation going in this recession period we are through, in my own observation are the legacies of great Ebora, Baba Iyabo. Check the current happenings in Venezuela, then you will understand that if not for the foresight of my Mentor, Baba Iyabo, Are Mathew Olusegun Obasanjo, our case would have been worst off. Apart from promoting made in Nigeria goods, he also created and enabling environment for the growth and diversification of the economy. The eight years he was in power were the most peaceful eight years in Nigeria under democratic rule. What was the secret? All the geo political zones were carried along in the scheme of things and significant strides were recorded in the immediate post Military era.
If Jonathan was said to clueless, how would we classify the current administration? Obasanjo never blamed the Military regime for the challenges when he took up power in 1999. He got into work and with 2 years Nigerian has a sigh of relief. Most Civil servants started building houses, buying cars and their overall wellbeing improved. Fast forward to the present day, it’s now like if the Jonathan led administration has not been blamed in any official speech by the FG, the speech is not yet official.

In conclusion, now is the time to start preparing for 2019. We don’t need CHANGE any more we need progress.

Re: Southerners Are More Nigerian Than The Northerners by QuotaSystem: 9:23am On Jul 22, 2016
[b]Trash.

If OBJ so brilliantly diversified the economy during his eight years, did Jonathan reverse it back to a mono economy? Or can you explain why you're suffering right now?

We know a poor production base lies at the root of our economic problems, which is a consequence of lack of supporting infrastructure such as electricity, and leads to import induced inflation. We simply cannot remain an import based economy and thrive in the global economic space.

It is however glaringly obvious that the failure of previous administrations (particularly those that reigned over record high oil prices) to diversify the economy from oil which would have cushioned the effects of fall in oil price, is a critical and principal causative factor, because it has handicapped this government in its ability to quickly provide infrastructure and develop non oil revenue sources. The paucity of funds limits the capacity of the government to do a quick turn around of the present economic situation, although it's clearly a work in progress.

This is not about passing blame, but about acknowledging the dire situation we have found ourselves in as well as the efforts that the present administration is making in righting the wrongs of old.

If the above write-up was not tripe already, I'd have advised that you attach the oil prices that prevailed both under OBJ and GEJ to give it balance. Oh well.

Keep wailing at your self exclusion from this government, but your deceit of masking the frustration under such deceit will be firmly resisted. [/b]

1 Like

Re: Southerners Are More Nigerian Than The Northerners by Oksman(m): 10:08am On Jul 22, 2016
Obasanjo remains the best, even those who hate him knows that his love for nigeria was never in doubt. Even as the greatest living nigeria army general alive today, he practised one nigeria unlike some vallains who only preach one nigeria to enthrench their myopic, anachronistic and archaic intrest on others. Nigerians have forgotten too quicly how these northeners use Sharia crisis, to fight his government; yet he did not order the military to put down their to agitation which is tantamount secession or disenssion in the real sense of the word; because nigeria is a sovereign nation . Compare his approach and handling of the agitation to the intolerance to any form of opposition by this foggy administration. In the economy the NEEDS document was followed up to the letter, that was why he was able to pay off our foreign debt consolidate the bank introduce gsm services without blaming the previous administrations before him.

2 Likes

Re: Southerners Are More Nigerian Than The Northerners by cnwokike(m): 10:15am On Jul 22, 2016
You still have not addressed the issues.
QuotaSystem:
[b]Trash.

If OBJ so brilliantly diversified the economy during his eight years, did Jonathan reverse it back to a mono economy? Or can you explain why you're suffering right now?

We know a poor production base lies at the root of our economic problems, which is a consequence of lack of supporting infrastructure such as electricity, and leads to import induced inflation. We simply cannot remain an import based economy and thrive in the global economic space.

It is however glaringly obvious that the failure of previous administrations (particularly those that reigned over record high oil prices) to diversify the economy from oil which would have cushioned the effects of fall in oil price, is a critical and principal causative factor, because it has handicapped this government in its ability to quickly provide infrastructure and develop non oil revenue sources. The paucity of funds limits the capacity of the government to do a quick turn around of the present economic situation, although it's clearly a work in progress.

This is not about passing blame, but about acknowledging the dire situation we have found ourselves in as well as the efforts that the present administration is making in righting the wrongs of old.

If the above write-up was not tripe already, I'd have advised that you attach the oil prices that prevailed both under OBJ and GEJ to give it balance. Oh well.

Keep wailing at your self exclusion from this government, but your deceit of masking the frustration under such deceit will be firmly resisted. [/b]

Re: Southerners Are More Nigerian Than The Northerners by Nobody: 10:23am On Jul 22, 2016
Re: Southerners Are More Nigerian Than The Northerners by seunny4lif(m): 10:25am On Jul 22, 2016
sad sad sad sad sad

(1) (Reply)

Governor Okorocha Plans To Reduce 5 Work Days To 3 In Imo State / Read Jibrin’s Tear-jacking Statement As He Fears Dogara's Hatchet Men Close In / Throwback Pix Of Chief Nnamdi Azikiwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.