Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,603 members, 7,944,787 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 03:00 AM

Nigeria Eagle Airline - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Eagle Airline (748 Views)

See Aerial Battle Between An Eagle And Two Seagulls / Aero Contractors Renamed Nigerian Eagle / Virgin Nigeria Airways Now Nigerian Eagle Airlines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Eagle Airline by BlackRevo: 5:32am On Sep 18, 2009
Virgin Nigeria Airways, one of the nation’s flag carriers, has begun a rebranding campaign, adopting Nigerian Eagle Airline as its new name.

Besides the new name, the airline says it will also wear new symbols, uniforms and colours, though its mother company, Virgin Atlantic Airways still has 49 per cent stake in the business.

Briefing journalists at the presidential lounge of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport on Thursday in Lagos, Chief Executive Officer of the airline, Captain Dapo Olumide, said it took the airline five months to come out with the new name, adding that it wanted something that would portray the African culture, which Nigerians could be proud of.

According him, the change of name and logo, which took effect from today would gradually be effected in all the airports in the country.
He said it would take about two years for the airline to complete the rebranding process.
He further hinted that the airline would storm the stock market in six weeks time to raise funds, pointing out that already about 25 investors had indicated interest in the company.

Olumide said the airline is at liberty to sell off Virgin Atlantic’s 49 per cent shares if it so desired.
He said: “You know the company, Nike had the name and also the symbol. If you noticed, today they have removed the name and it is just that swooping sign is left and to you that means Nike. It shows they’ve created a brand. Addidas did the same thing.

“From today, the name of Virgin Nigeria Airways ceases after this presentation, you will see that we have created a brand. We intend to form an airline and create a brand at the same time. This is not done in the airline industry. This is a lot of work that had started in February and it is just been concluded. One of the first things we did in Virgin Nigeria was to restructure the airline to stabilise and to come up with a five-year-plan that would be sustainable. Today is the birth of a new airline. African aviation will only ever be developed by Africans.”

On the airline’s huge indebtedness to United Bank for Africa (UBA), the Virgin Nigeria boss hinted that plans were afoot to offset the debt, describing it as a manageable and serviceable one.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2009/sept/18/national-18-09-2009-007.htm
Re: Nigeria Eagle Airline by JJM(f): 7:26am On Sep 18, 2009
Well, without sounding pessimistic, I fail to see the relevance of a change of name. Maybe, it is just the beginning but I will only be impressed once operations begin and the feedback from the public re service, efficiency, value for money, safety etc is very good.

Not jumping out of my seat yet but not closed my mind to the potential positives either. Lets wait and see,
Re: Nigeria Eagle Airline by OgidiBoy(m): 7:32am On Sep 18, 2009
Why is every thing in Nigeria Eagle this Eagle that. There are no freaking Eagles in Nigeria, poverty has made ppl kill and eat most of the birds in Nigeria. angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Eagle Airline by JJM(f): 8:18am On Sep 18, 2009
LOL   grin grin grin grin grin grin.

I do think they are trying to be patriotic given the national football team. still not too keen on the name though.

(1) (Reply)

Toefl Issues! Plz Help / New Security Check / I Need To Be In Sa February: How Do I Get A Visa.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.