Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,109 members, 7,890,689 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:17 PM

Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches (1242 Views)

Have The Bible Lost Its Value? Replaced With Tablets In Churches / Why Do We Have More Ladies In Churches Than Men? / Comedians Shouldn't Be Allowed To Perform In Churches - Lagos Pastor (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by bootstrap(m): 5:11pm On Jul 31, 2016
Driving out of church today (dunamis abuja) long traffic out, and i stopped for few secs for people to cross the road and the lady behind me, who also just left church started honking loudly and screaming at me. Was on the virge of screaming back when i just decided not to fall to her level. Took me real effort to not just park and give her a piece of my mind.

Whats my point? churches preach so much about loving God.. Yada yada yada... And almost nothing about loving ur neighbor no more. Disagree with me all u will, but we nigerian Christian suck in morals. It doesn't take an Einstein to knw this.

Patience, tolerance, honesty, truthfulness, meekness, kindness. If right after chruch smone cannot give a lift to a fellow church member going same way, how much more a total, non Christian stranger on a week day

Question: how can we Christians (nigerians in general) drop our useless, face value, empty spirituality and for once just be moral. If smone tries to cheat u... And so what? If everyone is jumping the queue, or beating traffic, and so what, must we too? (ps: i really really get pissed when people, Christian with a big a.s.s sticker in a hold up just drive off the queue/road just to beat everyone else tho)

Here is my proposal, (suggestions are highly welcomed). Starting a movement #JUST DO RIGHT!!

Ps: this also goes for Muslims and traditionalists, just that Christianity is my immediate constituency

# lalasticala, seun

1 Like

Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by Flexherbal(m): 5:21pm On Jul 31, 2016
We all ask the same question, all the time.
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by bootstrap(m): 5:26pm On Jul 31, 2016
Flexherbal:
We all ask the same question, all the time.

Yes yes.. So i am blaming our religious houses for not reminding us much enough as they wld we pay our tithes and offering or to attend one vigil or another.

How do u think we as a people can change. I really dnt thing the govt can do much in that regard, seeing as the govt unlike the church is more about selfish interests, ideally tho. What/how do u suggest we can change?
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by Seun(m): 5:00pm On Aug 01, 2016
Why not talk to your pastors at Dunamis Abuja? They just might mention it on Sunday if you inform them.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by LordScent(m): 5:07pm On Aug 01, 2016
Seun:
Why not talk to your pastors at Dunamis Abuja? They just might mention it on Sunday if you inform them.

That was insensitive of you seun... Your sarcasm is duly noted. There is only so much one can expect from an atheist anyway.

Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by KingEbukaNaija: 5:07pm On Aug 01, 2016
The Lord's Chosen cool . At the end of the sermon
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by hahn(m): 5:14pm On Aug 01, 2016
LordScent:

That was insensitive of you seun... Your sarcasm is duly noted. There is only so much one can expect from an atheist anyway.

And your comment is not of any help either undecided

Op, God only lives in the church. Not in reality.

That is what you get from adults who serve their imaginary friends and take goat herders, from 2,000 years ago, as their role models

smiley
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 01, 2016
Seun:
Seun nitori olorun. I wanna ask you lots of questions pls!

Sarcasm at the highest point noted
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by kevoh(m): 5:17pm On Aug 01, 2016
LordScent:

That was not sarcasm. That was a nice piece of advice or suggestion as the OP demanded. Don't get infected with the regular religion section trolls' penchant for seeing every NL atheist comment as ''them vs Us'' comment.

Dude could have informed his pastors first instead of rushing down to expose the inadequacies of his fellow (christian) church members on a large forum as Nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by LordScent(m): 5:58pm On Aug 01, 2016
kevoh:
That was not sarcasm. That was a nice piece of advice or suggestion as the OP demanded. Don't get infected with the regular religion section trolls' penchant for seeing every NL atheist comment as ''them vs Us'' comment.Dude could have informed his pastors first instead of rushing down to expose the inadequacies of his fellow (christian) church members on a large forum as Nairaland.

[b]

Thank you for your observation.A person's belief hasnt and will not determine my mode of interaction simply because, as human we all have equal rights to belief whatever / whomever we deem worthy. And its no one's fault if certain people doesnt even belief in anything at all.

Back to your observation, i think to a small extent you are right but a larger percentage of your thought were based on purposeful misinterpretation of the op's true intention. I could be wrong on this though

.Examine this ..

As an fashion enthusiast for example, seeing the new craze of distressed jean being the order of the day, i found it logically awkward why i would prefer a torn clothing to a neatly pressed pair. Here is the catch, i could choose to ask my boss (the designer) but i choose to ask on nairaland what the motive behind such vogue was simply because I NEED THE OPINNION OF PEOPLE THAT REALLY UNDERSTANDS THE "FASHIONISTIC FACTORS" behind the new trend. Definitely not the opinnions of an ELEHA (for example) that has no bussiness with fashion trends to start with.

Sorry if i lost you there.

But in the context of the example cited, opinnions of church workers, evangelist, pastors and ministers on NAIRALAND count just as much as the op's pastor back in the church.

So seun's comment might be right and just, it still doesnt take away the sarcasm and pile of bile it carried with it. In a simpler version, he was saying " why you dey tell us, no be una people wey dey go church get una problem. Abeg carry your wahala back go give ya pastor jaree grin grin "

Cheers.
[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by LordScent(m): 6:04pm On Aug 01, 2016
MissHatey:
Seun nitori olorun. I wanna ask you lots of questions pls!

Sarcasm at the highest point noted

Thank you. Many people noted this, not because what he said was wrong or ill-advised, but the intention behind it is as dark as coal.

Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by Eddlad: 6:08pm On Aug 01, 2016
bootstrap:
Driving out of church today (dunamis abuja) long traffic out, and i stopped for few secs for people to cross the road and the lady behind me, who also just left church started honking loudly and screaming at me. Was on the virge of screaming back when i just decided not to fall to her level. Took me real effort to not just park and give her a piece of my mind.

Whats my point? churches preach so much about loving God.. Yada yada yada... And almost nothing about loving ur neighbor no more. Disagree with me all u will, but we nigerian Christian suck in morals. It doesn't take an Einstein to knw this.

Patience, tolerance, honesty, truthfulness, meekness, kindness. If right after chruch smone cannot give a lift to a fellow church member going same way, how much more a total, non Christian stranger on a week day

Question: how can we Christians (nigerians in general) drop our useless, face value, empty spirituality and for once just be moral. If smone tries to cheat u... And so what? If everyone is jumping the queue, or beating traffic, and so what, must we too? (ps: i really really get pissed when people, Christian with a big a.s.s sticker in a hold up just drive off the queue/road just to beat everyone else tho)

Here is my proposal, (suggestions are highly welcomed). Starting a movement #JUST DO RIGHT!!

Ps: this also goes for Muslims and traditionalists, just that Christianity is my immediate constituency

# lalasticala, seun

Why are you still conferring on them the name "Christians"? Does standing in a garage make someone a car?
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by tosinjay(m): 6:17pm On Aug 01, 2016
Lukewarmness rooted in most that's the issue, the churches also doing opposite of what Christ wants.
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by Nobody: 6:24pm On Aug 01, 2016
LordScent:

Thank you. Many people noted this, not because what he said was wrong or ill-advised, [b]but the intention behind it is as dark as coal[/b]
Exactly. I love that simile wink
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by kevoh(m): 6:37pm On Aug 01, 2016
[/quote]
LordScent:

Thank you for your observation.A person's belief hasnt and will not determine my mode of interaction simply because, as human we all have equal rights to belief whatever / whomever we deem worthy. And its no one's fault if certain people doesnt even belief in anything at all.

Glad to hear you feel this way.

LordScent:

Back to your observation, i think to a small extent you are right but a larger percentage of your thought were based on purposeful misinterpretation of the op's true intention. I could be wrong on this though
Ok. My interpretations are simply the way the OP puts it, no purposeful misinterpretation.

LordScent:

.Examine this ..
As an fashion enthusiast for example, seeing the new craze of distressed jean being the order of the day, i found it logically awkward why i would prefer a torn clothing to a neatly pressed pair. Here is the catch, i could choose to ask my boss (the designer) but i choose to ask on nairaland what the motive behind such vogue was simply because I NEED THE OPINNION OF PEOPLE THAT REALLY UNDERSTANDS THE "FASHIONISTIC FACTORS" behind the new trend. Definitely not the opinnions of an ELEHA (for example) that has no bussiness with fashion trends to start with.
But in the context of the example cited, opinnions of church workers, evangelist, pastors and ministers on NAIRALAND count just as much as the op's pastor back in the church.
Nice analogy but it doesn't fit 100% .Most Christians look up to their pastors. There's this cult following when it comes to Pastors and the congregation.The average christian will readily do as his Pastor says even if he contradicts your holy book. Pastors do all preaching most times. Pastors are more the images of the church than the Jesus you preach. If I mention ''Christ Embassy'', what comes to your mind first Pastor Chris Oyakhilome or the christ himself? I guess your answer is Pastor Chris. Who then better is it to ask the pertinent question? Who better is it to ask to spread the gospel of morality? Charity begins at home they say!

[quote author=LordScent post=48094001]

In a simpler version, he was saying " why you dey tell us, no be una people wey dey go church get una problem. Abeg carry your wahala back go give ya pastor jaree grin grin "
Cheers.

Lol...funny joke. cheesy I appreciate your mature response. Cheers
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by Tkayhandsome(m): 7:02pm On Aug 01, 2016
How many Churches have you visited? Rubbish. So because dunamis abuja doesn't teach you well, then everyone is like the woman that shouted at you? Nonsense. You hear me? Big nonsense
bootstrap:

# lalasticala, seun
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by bootstrap(m): 8:24pm On Aug 01, 2016
Tkayhandsome:
How many Churches have you visited? Rubbish. So because dunamis abuja doesn't teach you well, then everyone is like the woman that shouted at you? Nonsense. You hear me? Big nonsense

I was going to give u an "appropriate" response... Then i saw this

"Today, I am suffering because of my disobedience.
My dad told me to read law in school. I loved law and wanted law for a course, but soon I changed my mind because of the things I heard about lawyers when I was in primary 6. I left my dream of becoming a lawyer and chose banking. I read finance and banking. To cut the long story short, this is 3 years without a job. I am 26 and all my effort in trying to land myself a job has failed. I feel so empty and broke. Still under momma's roof and eating her meal...Feeling ashamed... But why?"

U either knw nothing aka dumb or just bitter and in denial. Are majoroty of nigerians not dishonest? Are majority not intolerant, are we not largely lawless? Yet come sundays and the churches are filled up all shouting to high heavens.

Little advice to u... Take ur head out of ur a.s.s and maybe, just maybe u wld leave under ir mommas roof soon.
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by Tkayhandsome(m): 8:32pm On Aug 01, 2016
That is what dunamis abuja teaches right? OK I understand.
bootstrap:

My dad told me to read law in school. I loved law and wanted law for a course, but soon I changed my mind because of the things I heard about lawyers when I was in primary 6. I left my dream of becoming a lawyer and chose banking. I read finance and banking. To cut the long story short, this is 3 years without a job. I am 26 and all my effort in trying to land myself a job has failed. I feel so empty and broke. Still under momma's roof and eating her meal...Feeling ashamed... But why?"

U either knw nothing aka dumb or just bitter and in denial. Are majoroty of nigerians not dishonest? Are majority not intolerant, are we not largely lawless? Yet come sundays and the churches are filled up all shouting to high heavens.

Little advice to u... Take ur head out of ur a.s.s and maybe, just maybe u wld leave under ir mommas roof soon.
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by RobinHez(m): 8:41pm On Aug 01, 2016
bootstrap:

Damn! shocked grin
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by bootstrap(m): 8:42pm On Aug 01, 2016
Ok.. I think i might hv put my tot out wrongly. I am saying, we as a nation are aboit the most religious world over... Why/how then does it not reflect on our daily dealing as nigerians our morals?

Now, if smone says i am generalizing... That nigerians are largely moral people.. Then, im not sure i really got any thing else to say to such people. @seun says i shld ask my pastor next sunday... (seriously or sarcastically), i just used dunamis as a reference, and no.. Dunamis is not my church, i do not hv a church, i go where i feel, so i cannot possibly ask him.

So, let me re ask, what do u guys think is the cause of moral decadence in nigeria. Decadences like.. Not staying on queue, being dishonest, being intolerant, etc etc. Who is to blame for this?
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by bootstrap(m): 8:51pm On Aug 01, 2016
Tkayhandsome:
That is what dunamis abuja teaches right? OK I understand.

Sorry dude.. This is going to be my last response to u dear. Dnt take this as an insult or anything please... Ur opinion doesnt count on this thread... As far as i am consigned sir... U are not knowledgeable or experienced enough to understand my point of view.. So please dnt take up space for those that can make reasonable arguments. Thnk you
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by Tkayhandsome(m): 8:55pm On Aug 01, 2016
Run along little boy. I understand.
bootstrap:

Sorry dude.. This is going to be my last response to u dear. Dnt take this as an insult or anything please... Ur opinion doesnt count on this thread... As far as i am consigned sir... U are not knowledgeable or experienced enough to understand my point of view.. So please dnt take up space for those that can make reasonable arguments. Thnk you
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by bootstrap(m): 8:55pm On Aug 01, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:
The Lord's Chosen cool . At the end of the sermon

Oh. Thats cool.. Bit i doubt its hving the desired results just yet, Or how else do u explain the disposition of the average nigerian. Maybe other churches need to do more.. Right?

Coz all we actually need.. In my opinion is 5 oit of 10 people doing right (morally) and others wld fall in line naturally, or dnt u think so. Case in point.. How well behaved we get when we travel to saner countries
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by bootstrap(m): 8:58pm On Aug 01, 2016
Tkayhandsome:
Run along little boy. I understand.

undecided
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by bootstrap(m): 9:03pm On Aug 01, 2016
kevoh:

That was not sarcasm. That was a nice piece of advice or suggestion as the OP demanded. Don't get infected with the regular religion section trolls' penchant for seeing every NL atheist comment as ''them vs Us'' comment.

Dude could have informed his pastors first instead of rushing down to expose the inadequacies of his fellow (christian) church members on a large forum as Nairaland.

Oh.. I dnt see it as a dunamis problem, i see it as a nigerian problem at large.. Hence bringing it to a "large forum as this"

A direct question to u.. If i may, how high do u think oir morals are as a people in nigeria, especially as compared to other less religious countries u ve been to?
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by bootstrap(m): 9:09pm On Aug 01, 2016
LordScent:

[b]

.Examine this ..

So seun's comment might be right and just, it still doesnt take away the sarcasm and pile of bile it carried with it. In a simpler version, he was saying " why you dey tell us, no be una people wey dey go church get una problem. Abeg carry your wahala back go give ya pastor jaree grin grin "

Cheers.
[/b]

Thnk you joh.. U seem to get my drift perfectly. But alot of folks here tend to not just wnt to agree we got high moral decadence in nigeria... Side by side with high religiosity. And feel it " my problem with dunamis" cry
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by KingEbukaNaija: 12:32am On Aug 02, 2016
bootstrap:

Oh. Thats cool.. Bit i doubt its hving the desired results just yet, Or how else do u explain the disposition of the average nigerian. Maybe other churches need to do more.. Right?

Yeah smiley

Coz all we actually need.. In my opinion is 5 oit of 10 people doing right (morally) and others wld fall in line naturally, or dnt u think so. Case in point..

Well , I think the best thing is to never allow evil thrive .

How well behaved we get when we travel to saner countries

"saner countries " ... Example ?
Re: Why Are Morals No Longer Emphasized In Churches by paxonel(m): 1:22am On Aug 02, 2016
bootstrap:

Coz all we actually need.. In my opinion is 5 oit of 10 people doing right (morally) and others wld fall in line naturally, or dnt u think so. Case in point.. How well behaved we get when we travel to saner countries
so long Nigerian churches continue teaching nigerians the popular doctrines found in all churches today, which was handed over by missionaries who came to Africa years ago, without reviewing the doctrines and teaching as developed nations did a long time ago in their countries , nigerians will continue to remain immoral but church freak.
people really do not want to be immoral, but the doctrines have become what is normal such that people never see anything wrong in them.
the current nigerian doctrines do not have a clear curriculum or direction towards morality,people or mostly all the pastors quote scriptures ignoring the context, just to make people have hope for immediate miracles, and it responsible for the way people think and view life generally

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Financial Miracle. If Miracles Are Real. / Is Blocking The Federal Roads On Fridays For Jumat Prayer Acceptable? / Orimolade And Babalola Wroth Great Signs And Wonders Using The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.