Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,329 members, 7,888,055 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:25 PM

Lessons From The Imo North Senatorial Rerun - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lessons From The Imo North Senatorial Rerun (841 Views)

Victor Umeh Dances After Winning Anambra Senatorial Rerun Election / Imo North Senatorial Election: Okorocha On A Wild Goose Chase – Ekweremadu / Update On Imo North Senatorial Rerun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons From The Imo North Senatorial Rerun by DesChyko: 7:38am On Aug 01, 2016
After the 2015 elections and seeing the manner most members of the then ruling People’s Democratic Party worked against their own party, I gave up on the party. More specifically was the case of one Chief Jerry Chukwueke, who was Director of Communications Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Campaign Organisation. He appeared on different occasions on ChannelsTV defending GEJ and his policies. Once the former President lost at the Presidential election, the man without shame defected to the APC. In fact, the development made me consider signing out of politics and related matters. While I still found reasons to remain in the business of politics, I prepared myself against further shock from the party that has won my sentiment and goodwill, the PDP. I decided to be non-partisan but to support any candidate I deem fit. I reasoned that politicians especially the PDP people were not worth all the sacrifice. That was the way my mind was working when the mandate of Senator Athan Achonu was nullified and a rerun ordered. Prior to the recent rerun election, I didn’t know more about Senator Achonu, hence I found myself endorsing the Senatorial candidate of the APC prior to the recent rerun date. I regret not knowing him well to join his campaign on time.
But as time went on, the rhetoric, actions and policies of the current APC government both at the state and the federal governments dragged me closer and closer to PDP. The failings of APC government led me to the state now where I have found myself as a full fledged member of the People’s Democratic Party.
However as the campaigns gathered ground I saw the best in the PDP candidate, Senator Athan Achonu. He ran a campaign I became proud of. Knowing the stakes, he raised the bar. He controlled the narrative and dominated in all areas. I found a reason once again to be proud of the PDP by the kind of campaign Senator Athan Achonu ran. Despite the outcome of the polls, I believe Senator Achonu, his campaign team and the entire members of the PDP Okigwe Zone have every reason to raise their head up high. They ran a grassroot based campaign that has not been seen in PDP in recent times. In fact the rerun brought out the best of Senator Achonu. It made those who didn’t know him to know him. The energy, time, substance and innovation Senator Achonu invested in the wake of the last rerun, was not seen in the main election of 2015 when he first ran and won. I ended up falling in love with the man and his unending battle to remain at the Red Chambers of the Nigerian Legislative House. I cant mention all the gallant warriors who fought for PDP in the wake of almost no resources, skewed INEC, and bought over security agents. The future remains bright, let us not despair. To Senator Athan Achonu I fell in love with lately, this is just the begining. You have begun a movement. Time shall come, when that "One Hand" would lead to a massive revolt in Imo. Kudos to you Sir. All is not yet lost.
The PDP at the recent rerun elections in Okigwe Zone and Oru East did all that was needed to be done. Despite being in opposition, they worked hard for victory and indeed won the people’s vote. They however ran against the ruthlessness and desperation of a party in power. A party with declining popularity, and which was ready to deploy and device all means possible to ensure that they won at all cost whether fairly or unfairly. I salute the efforts of Chief Ikedi Ohakim, Chinedu Chukwuonye, Hon Obinna Onwubuariri and many too numerous to mention. Worthy of commendation also is Barrister Chris Okewulonu, who this time got his act together in Obowo, by clearing the wool off the eyes of Obowo people against the fake Rescue Mission agent there. The Onuimo brethren got it right. They turned the tide neatly. Kudos to Barrister Vincent Okpaleke and team for proving us wrong. In Ihitte Uboma, people like Sir George Egu lived up to their name once more and I beg not to say more. In Okigwe LGA, men were men, despite all that happened. Oru East we learnt PDP won, yet they used the same manner to thwart the mandate of the people.
Beyond that, the last election proved many things. It exposed the cliche of “change” the APC preaches. It shows that the Rochas Okorocha led APC which once boasts of its popularity and accuses PDP of rigging elections, have suddenly become desperate and ready to device all means possible just to win elections. The manner APC now uses the activities of PDP in the past to justify malpractice in the present, shows how their acclaim has started diminishing amongst populace. The extent of their success in this regard would yet be seen in coming elections in Imo State.
To the members of Imo State PDP, it is time to go back to the drawing board. The recent election has shown that as long as the current Imo PDP leaders continue to fight, they will continue to face defeat in the hand of their enemies. Chief Achike Udenwa, Chief Ikedi Ohakim, Senator Hope Uzodimma, Rt. Hon Emeka Ihedioha, Professor Viola Onwuliri etc must come together now and shelve their personal interests to strengthen the PDP in Imo State, especially now that morale of their party members are abysmally low. This group must realise that PDP is no longer in power, whether at the federal of state level. The only way PDP can bounce back in the state and also help them bounce back at the federal level, is for these group of men working in concert. Further crisis amongst them would send them into political oblivion.
Now I have decided to dump my non-partisan position to play an active role in the PDP. Why PDP at this time? Somebody would ask me. I love opposition politics. Opposition brings out the best in you. That is why I hate establishment politics. PDP is for me a better party for me to contribute to the political development of Nigeria now. Another reason I love the PDP now is because all the fake people have left the party. Those who jump from party to party all to feed their stomach have all left the party. I am happy to state that the people you see maintaining their support for PDP today are genuine people. They are not people that can easily be bought over with a plate of stew. The bad people have all left to the APC and very soon we all would be witnesses to the crisis they would engineer in the APC. It is just a matter of time.
And to those who scorn PDP in their moment of crisis I wish to tell them that Imo APC crisis would surely come. It may be postponed but it would surely come. When it happens, it would be the mother of all crisis and would spiral into the 2019 elections. Hopefully, we shall be here to bear witness how their crisis ends with all the hawks and buccaneers currently thronging the APC.
Finally I shall end this piece by pleading with the leaders of PDP Imo State Chapter to begin a gradual ceding of power to the younger generation of the party. It is time to incorporate the young vibrant Imo youths who have kept faith in the party for over a decade now. The PDP leaders in Imo, must begin a systematic empowerment of younger minds in the party to lead the way in the renewal of the party’s vision, especially in Imo State.
With this piece I signal my stand today as a full-fledged member of the Peoples Democratic Party. I am glad to join PDP in its moment of difficulty. I refuse to be a fare-weather politician who joins a political party just for the crumbs he would enjoy from the table. Its time to show solidarity.
I stand with PDP.

https://mobile.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1257282967624549&id=100000285735982&refid=28&_ft_=qid.6313742938986666560%3Amf_story_key.-6184369319760614596&__tn__=%2As

Re: Lessons From The Imo North Senatorial Rerun by dkronicle(m): 7:48am On Aug 01, 2016
Coreckt
Re: Lessons From The Imo North Senatorial Rerun by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 01, 2016
PDP is a dead party. How do you expect a party with 2 chairmen to win elections? You funny o

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Imo North Senatorial Rerun by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:54am On Aug 01, 2016
Nice Write up.

1) We must not Wait for APC in Imo to be submerged in crisis before you(PDP) put your acts together...cool

2) PDP made the biggest mistake of a lifetime selling it's governorship mandate to Ihedioha who remains a feather weight politician in Imo instead of a real grassroot politician like Ararume cool

God Bless Imo State..

Senator Samuel Anyanwu for Governor Imo state 2019

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Imo North Senatorial Rerun by NgeneUkwenu(f): 8:01am On Aug 01, 2016
The title should have been..The Agony Of A Loser..

3 Likes

Re: Lessons From The Imo North Senatorial Rerun by SamuelAnyawu(m): 8:04am On Aug 01, 2016
NgeneUkwenu:
The title should have been..The Agony Of A Loser..

Lol you self undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Lessons From The Imo North Senatorial Rerun by cckris: 8:42am On Aug 01, 2016
DesChyko:

Another reason I love the PDP now is because all the fake people have left the party.

Betrayers are many, though easy to deceive & overcome.
Re: Lessons From The Imo North Senatorial Rerun by maestroferddi: 9:39am On Aug 01, 2016
That character called Jerry Chukwueke was symptomatic of Jonathan's weakness that he was the one speaking for the PDP on Channels TV and other media during the last election. A man that lacked basic articulation and brainpower to marshal out convincing viewpoints but chose to hide in funny affectation to indulge himself.

We are waiting for Rochas and APC in 2019 as per Imo State.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

5 Of The Shortest-reigning Leaders In History / Garba Shehu Wasting His Talent On Wrong Priorities, Ezekwesili Blasts FG Again / •RECESSION: SENATORS DISAGREE ON SALE OF NATIONAL ASSETS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.