Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,867 members, 7,872,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 01:49 AM

Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting (1714 Views)

Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / My Experience Job Hunting At Linda Ikeji Media / What You Posted On Social Media May Affect Your Job Hunting. [pic] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by temb: 3:37pm On Aug 01, 2016
August 4th this year would make it exactly one year I finished Nysc and since then started serious job hunting and yet no job. I seem not to know where the problems are from, I do apply online on a everyday basis and even offline and at the end of the day not even a test invite. I therefore would love to plead with my experienced job hunters to help me check what exactly I am doing wrong.
For the nairaland peeps who would are quick to condemnation and start preaching entrepreneurship and getting a skill, I am a very skilled person in so many versatile areas I.e computer repairs,3D modelling with Autodesk inventor,phone repairs and I'm actually very good with what I do..That's what is currently paying the bills but definitely tired of earning very migre income from the little clients I have.
And yes, I'm almost concluding my M.eng programme which I did just not to stay idle and to keep my mind out of the trauma of not having a Job. I sure do hope my testimony comes soonest
Not to forget I also send my application with a cover letter...but still nothing. Imagine just only about 5 job test for a whole year. I would also love to use this opportunity to reach out to everybody who can be of help, I'm a very humble and hardworking individual willing to work in anywhere in Nigeria.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by haibe(m): 4:28pm On Aug 01, 2016
Waiting for advises too
Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by PresVA: 4:58pm On Aug 01, 2016
It's well Oga... please don't give up.. Continue with the lil stuffs you're doing while still on the look out for better opportunities. . You can also seek for ways to improve your business so as to increase chances of higher profits. .

Meanwhile, I guess you have lower than a 2-1 cos if not you should atleast be getting job invites. .

I wish you the best..
Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by Gydion(m): 5:50pm On Aug 01, 2016
First of all, are u running a full time masters programme?

If you are in Lagos and putting in view that u are running a master else where (another state), den u might not receive invite as expected even if u run a pt.

It happens to me, until when I got a job I told them I'm running a ft masters but through with my programme and only remaining my thesis.

Am till writing my project though and I've work more than a month even when it is a steppingstone.

Also practice GMAT and likely job interview questions so you know how to tackle questions

Thanks
Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by temb: 6:04pm On Aug 01, 2016
Gydion:

If you are in Lagos and putting in view that u are running a master else where (another state), den u might not receive invite as expected even if u run a pt.

It happens to me, until when I got a job I told them I'm running a ft masters but through with my programme and only remaining my thesis.

Am till writing my project though and I've work more than a month even when it is a steppingstone.

Also practice GMAT and likely job interview questions so you know how to tackle questions

Thanks
this is it advisable to remove the (in view) behind the M.eng
Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by haibe(m): 6:11pm On Aug 01, 2016
temb:

this is it advisable to remove the (in view) behind the M.eng
That would be misleading
Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by haibe(m): 6:14pm On Aug 01, 2016
Gydion:

Thanks
i dont get. How can you be through with your programme when you haven't submitted your thesis. I am also in a simar shoe, i have only a thesis to complete to obtain a degree but the school is located in the UK, however i can submit my thesis online
Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by Gydion(m): 6:14pm On Aug 01, 2016
If u live in Lagos and hunting for a job in lagos, pls remove it. When u get ur certificate, u put it on ur CV but some job requires msc which u can put in view.

When also applying for job, look at the job roles u are applying for and let ur CV go in line with it, you will see invite

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by Gydion(m): 6:17pm On Aug 01, 2016
This is Nigeria where some supervisors will tell u that you must be in skul for ur project BTW Monday and Thursday that u are a ft std.

I'm tru with my course work, only my thesis left which I had to beg my supervisor that I'll be coming wkends for my project because am a ft std.
Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 01, 2016
My over 2 years experience of job search has thought me some lessons.

Somewhere on top of that list is that "Looking for a job is in itself a full-time job"

My most profitable day as a job seeker till date was the day I literally woke up early in the morning, took my bath, ate, took my Laptop, sat down (all before 8am) and started looking for a job "online".

Complaining how bad something is wouldn't change it.

And like the good Lord said somewhere in the holy book, you sow sparingly and you'll reap sparingly. Sow bountifully and you reap bountifully.

Good luck with your job search. You are not alone.

1 Like

Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by ideology(m): 7:31pm On Aug 01, 2016
temb:
August 4th this year would make it exactly one year I finished Nysc and since then started serious job hunting and yet no job. I seem not to know where the problems are from, I do apply online on a everyday basis and even offline and at the end of the day not even a test invite. I therefore would love to plead with my experienced job hunters to help me check what exactly I am doing wrong.
For the nairaland peeps who would are quick to condemnation and start preaching entrepreneurship and getting a skill, I am a very skilled person in so many versatile areas I.e computer repairs,3D modelling with Autodesk inventor,phone repairs and I'm actually very good with what I do..That's what is currently paying the bills but definitely tired of earning very migre income from the little clients I have.
And yes, I'm almost concluding my M.eng programme which I did just not to stay idle and to keep my mind out of the trauma of not having a Job. I sure do hope my testimony comes soonest
Not to forget I also send my application with a cover letter...but still nothing. Imagine just only about 5 job test for a whole year. I would also love to use this opportunity to reach out to everybody who can be of help, I'm a very humble and hardworking individual willing to work in anywhere in Nigeria.
your skills set and degree are 2 parallel lines and it 's also possible that you are applying for jobs that is not aligned with your skills set, degree and experience.

Secondly it appears your Msc was to fulfill all righteousness. It seems to me that you didn't think through the prospects and exactly what you want to do. The best way to use your Msc when you are done is get a lecturing job

Finally if you really want to practice met mat, go for professional courses add PMP.
Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by Benjom(m): 12:37am On Aug 02, 2016
Well, I wish you all the best. Meanwhile, try to introduce some other valuable sections to your CV i.e. your accomplishments/achievements. What you're bringing to the table matters to the recruiters. And above all desire God's favour to order your steps. See a sample below and read this article on writing a successful CV with keyword focused content (you'll see another sample there). http://.com/complete-step-step-guide-writing-successful-cv/
Need help? http://.com/cv-rewrite/

1 Like

Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by numbersalone: 9:50am On Aug 02, 2016
temb:

Search for these monickers and pm them ..goldendr, upload111
Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by CasualCouriers: 10:44pm On Aug 06, 2016
@temb

I hate commenting on nairaland but I am moved to give you a hint that will solve your issue half way.

Having looked into your CV, there is a major obstacle and that obstacle is your degree of study "Met and Mat".

You might not believe my advice but if you take it, your issues will be half solved as I have testimonies to back it up.

Sample 20 HR personnel and tell them you studied Met and Mat, You will be amazed that just one out of the 20 knows what Met & Mat is. Therefore it will be very difficult for you to get selected for an engineering test invite.

Also take a sample of 20 engineering jobs publications, you will be probably find met/mat in just 1. Unfortunately the major Oil & Gas companies that know the value of this degree hardly recruit these days owing to low oil price.

Therefore, I suggest you remove Met & Mat from your CV and put in Mechanical Engineering.

Now, does this mean you are telling a lie regarding your degree? Absolutely No. When you get to the interview, you can educate them about Met and Mat and how it relates to Mech. Infact some companies will publish corrosion engineering jobs and request the degree to be Mechanical.

Met-Mat & Mechanical are similar except that Mechanical is more advance with few courses such as aerodynamics, machine tools, advance thermo, thermal power etc done in 400L/500L. But you need to know that every fresh engineering graduate recruited today by structured companies go through a basic training hence you can perfectly do what a Mechanical Engineer can do and I see that you have design knowledge already.

So go ahead and make the modifications and see what happens.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Exactly One Year Of Job Hunting by braine(m): 9:37pm On Aug 07, 2016
DMeanMan:
My over 2 years experience of job search has thought me some lessons.

Somewhere on top of that list is that "Looking for a job is in itself a full-time job"

My most profitable day as a job seeker till date was the day I literally woke up early in the morning, took my bath, ate, took my Laptop, sat down (all before 8am) and started looking for a job "online".

Complaining how bad something is wouldn't change it.

And like the good Lord said somewhere in the holy book, you sow sparingly and you'll reap sparingly. Sow bountifully and you reap bountifully.

Good luck with your job search. You are not alone.

This was what I did a while ago. I just woke up one Monday morning and was like: wtf? No job?! Got up, took my PC and sent unsolicited applications. I got a call 15 mins later, and that was it!

Indeed, job hunting is a full time job.

(1) (Reply)

Interview Invitation / Urgently Needed / Seven-up Nigeria Recruitment: Seven-up Bottling Company Plc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.