Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,620 members, 7,878,793 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 06:55 AM

My Take/opinions On The Budget Padding Saga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Take/opinions On The Budget Padding Saga (443 Views)

EFCC Invites Abdulmumin Jibrin Over Budget Padding (Photo) / Dogara Sacks Abdulmumin Jibrin Over Budget Padding / Buhari, Osinbajo & Udoma Scrutinising The Budget 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Take/opinions On The Budget Padding Saga by BarrAyombo(m): 9:22am On Aug 02, 2016
Since the inception of this Buhari led government, one of the tenets of operation that have been religiously kept without wavering is ensuring that the Nigerian tabloids "Breakfast table" is a potpourri/buffet of topically intriguing and engaging news that holds the airwaves spellbound or if you like hypnotized for sometimes only to later fizzle out.

The recent Jibrin's "Unearthing of Nigeria's Messy Budget Padding Saga" is no doubt in the league of such topically engaging news which currently occupies the front burner in our National discourse.

MY TAKE/OPINIONS ON THE ISSUE.

1.) The authoritative opinion of a Man of Jibrin's standing ( he has been in the House for over 5years and was the Former Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Appropriations) pointing accusing fingers cannot and should not be taken lightly or swept under the carpet.

2.) The momentum that Jibrin's revelation is daily gaining is a pointer that same may be laden with some element of truth hence deserving of further probe. For more on the momentum: see the following links:

http://punchng.com/budget-padding-step-serap-sans-tell-dogara-others/

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/padded-budget-100-reps-want-dogara-lasun-others-prosecuted/

3.) Nigerians must vehemently reject the argument that there is nothing like "Budget Padding" and the view that the Power of Appropriation allows the House to include Constituency Projects in the national budget. Infact, we must in the light of this saga call for a legal redress of this power of appropriation to delimit its scope.

4.) Nigerians must reject in its totality, the demand by the House to probe this issue internally cos this is a crime against our Commonwealth.

5.) The Act of over 100 Members of the House of Representatives, under aegis of Transparency Group calling on anti-graft agencies to wade into alleged padding of the 2016 budget by the Speaker, Yakubu Dogara; his deputy, Yusuf Lasun; Chief Whip, Ado Doguwa, and Minority Leader, Leo Ogor, and ensure credible investigation speaks volume. Also, the attendance over 100 signatures collated signatures from members of the House, cutting across the six geopolitical zones of the country and from different political parties, dissociating themselves from the media briefing by the chairman, House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Abdulrazak Namdas is also a point to note. See link here:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/07/padded-budget-100-reps-want-dogara-lasun-others-prosecuted/

6.) It is worthy of note to state that this Padding Business has long been entrenched in our polity by past Administrations and both the Executives and the Legislatures have there hands fully trapped (to borrow a word from Jimmy Disu) in the Cookie Jar. It is FULLY INSTITUTIONALIZED and more worrisome is that it seems to even enjoy some legal backing!

7.) Jibrin's response to Dogara's letter giving him 7 days ultimatum to either retract the libellous allegations issued by Jibrin or face legal action, written by Dogara's lawyer Joash Ojo Amupitan is a classic and could only come from a man with credible evidence. Jibrin has dared Dogara to do his worst and declared his readiness to meet him in court.

8.) Fresh and Red Hot from the tabloids this morning is that Jibrin has formally Lodge a Petition laden with credible evidence with the EFCC, to drive home his seriousness and readiness to get in the Ring with Dogara and his cohorts.

As I close, I'm aware that to some, this whole charade is akin to "hearing the voice of Esau while it is really the hand of Jacob that is beating the drums of War". While to others, anyone whose hands is caught trapped in the Proverbial Cookie Jar must be ready to have same chopped off. Nigerians are watching...!!

(1) (Reply)

Imagine If 5000 OPC Members Turn To Snake / What's Your Take On This? To Me It's CHANGE! / Henry Okah Plans To Assassinate Me- Fmr President Goodluck Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.