Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,382 members, 7,881,380 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:08 PM

50 Years After Awolowo's Release From Prison, Lesson For Politicians In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 50 Years After Awolowo's Release From Prison, Lesson For Politicians In Nigeria (399 Views)

Olusegun Obasanjo Shortly After His Release From Prison (throwback) / Patience Jonathan With Some Politicians In Rivers State (Photos) / Homes Owned By Nigerian Politicians In The UK (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

50 Years After Awolowo's Release From Prison, Lesson For Politicians In Nigeria by PENMIND(m): 9:44am On Aug 03, 2016
The hero of all time, Chief Obafemi Awolowo of the old western region who was one of the political stalwarts, nationalists, fought the battle alongside other patriotic Nigerians to quench the thirst for the agitation of self-rule in Nigeria, was release from prison on 2nd of August, 1966 after he had been convicted of a crime in the court of law on 11th September, 1963 as a result of bizarre political occurrence which led to the heightening of tension in the old Western Nigeria.

The political gem might have been convicted at that time not just to make him experience the whip of the law but purposely to serve as a lesson for the subsequent generations in the political realm that Nigerian constitution is supreme and that every leader must lead by example. Before, during and after his life in prison, Awolowo had proved to be a true leader of which the whole world affirmed before he passed away.

The hero, while in detention, addressed a letter to The Supreme Commander and Head of the Federal Military Government in Lagos on 28th March 1966 to tell the world that he was truly created to serve the nation, to embrace the peace and not to turn the country into pieces, though there might be mistakes by the leader.

In his epistle, Awolowo stated that: ‘in the course of my evidence during my trial, I stated that my Party favoured and was actively working for alliance with the N.C.N.C. as a means, among other things, of solving what I described as ‘the problem of Nigeria’, and strengthening the unity of the Federation.’ Read more at http://penmind..com.ng/2016/08/50-years-after-awolowos-release-from.html
Re: 50 Years After Awolowo's Release From Prison, Lesson For Politicians In Nigeria by Histrings08(m): 9:51am On Aug 03, 2016
Ok
Re: 50 Years After Awolowo's Release From Prison, Lesson For Politicians In Nigeria by orisa37: 10:33am On Aug 03, 2016
Thank God for this Piece. Hausa/Fulani have been infected by the Arabs with Ishmael virus of cancer injected in all Ishmaelites by Genesis 16:12. Unless the Yorubas, the Ibos, the Ijaws, the Tivs, the Ibibios, the Agatus, the Idomas etc really team up through the NASS and the 36 State Assemblies to AMEND the 1999 Constitution, grant FULL AUTONOMY to each of the 36 States with regards to SOURCING AND USE OF THEIR FUNDS, and provide six encapsulating economic free zones to group and classify the 36 States. Lord Awo had done his best. Our NASS should follow up in his footsteps.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Jonathan Denies Sponsoring Niger Delta Avengers / The Buhari Govt Is The Most Bloody Regime / The Lawmakers Are Thieves- Obasanjo Says

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.