Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,473 members, 7,891,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 11:30 PM

Nigeria And The Price Of Petrol In Other Countries. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria And The Price Of Petrol In Other Countries. (637 Views)

NNPC Boss, Baru Dispenses Petrol In Abuja (Photos) / Man Spends 12 Hours To Get 10 Liters Of Petrol In Lagos (Photos) / Arrest Buyers And Sellers Of Petrol In Jerry-cans - Arase (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria And The Price Of Petrol In Other Countries. by antispexish(m): 11:44am On Aug 04, 2016
Despite the recent 68 per cent hike in petrol price, Nigeria’s retail pump price of N145 per litre of petrol ranks among the lowest in the world.

A review of retail prices of petrol in 175 countries shows that Nigeria has the 13th least petrol price at approximately $0.50, or N145 per litre, according to GlobalPetrolPrices.com.

Kuwait has the lowest petrol price in the world, at $0.21 or N61.37 per litre.
The world’s costliest petrol prices are found in Hong Kong (N535.38 per litre), Norway (N490.19) and Iceland (N474.76).

Most countries with the lowest petrol prices belong to the 14-member Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), namely Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Algeria, Qatar, Iran, Ecuador, United Arab Emirates, Nigeria, Indonesia, Venezuela, Iraq, Libya, Gabon and Angola.

But when it comes to the price of fuel, Nigeria’s standing is not so impressive in OPEC and Africa.
Of 14 OPEC countries reviewed, Nigeria has the sixth most expensive rate.

Also, despite Nigeria’s reputation as Africa’s biggest producer of hydrocarbons, petrol is cheaper in Algeria than in Nigeria.
Petrol sells for $0.28, or N80.94 per litre, in that North African country.
In Africa generally, the fuel sells for the highest rate in Zimbabwe, at N371.70 per litre.

Nigeria’s latest fuel price raise in May 2016 was as usual met with resistance from the organized labour. Eventually, the government prevailed.

Many Nigerians argue that as a top producer of oil and gas, Nigeria has no business selling petrol to his citizens at exorbitant rates.

The government says its fuel subsidy programme that drove the price down had been abused and was fueling massive corruption.

Part of the corruption sees marketers and dealers smuggling subsidized fuel into nearby countries where they sell at higher prices.

Data from GlobalPetrolPrices.com shows that all the countries bordering Nigeria, particularly in the Economic Community of West Africsn States (ECOWAS), have some of the highest fuel prices.

Some of Nigeria’s neighbours include Cameroun, where petrol is sold at N308.77 per litre; Burkina Faso (N354.51), Gambia (N347.84), Senegal (N336.40), Mali (N328.17), Guinea (N280.89), Ivory Coast (N275.89), Ghana (N260.90), Niger (N255.80), Liberia (N240.17), Togo (N218.78), Chad (N219.71), and Sierra Leone (N191.28).

Petrol prices in OPEC countries.
1. Kuwait..... N61.37
2. Saudi Arabia...... N68.41
3. Algeria......... N80.94
4. Qatar........ N109.57
5. Iran....... N113.56
6. Ecuador..... N113.56
7. United Arab Emirates...... N141.03
8. Nigeria .......N145
9. Indonesia ......N174.49
10. Venezuela.......N174.49
11. Iraq....... N179.12
12. Gabon........N240.52
13. Angola...... N273.80
14. Libya..........
Source: Globalpetrolprices.com
www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/208058-despite-recent-hike-nigerias-petrol-price-13th-lowest-world.html
Re: Nigeria And The Price Of Petrol In Other Countries. by soberdrunk(m): 11:56am On Aug 04, 2016
antispexish:

www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/208058-despite-recent-hike-nigerias-petrol-price-13th-lowest-world.html

Guy where do i send your cold bottles of GULDER to??! I like when people put aside blind sentiments and do proper research, Nigerians just be screaming blue murder as if na 4 Nigeria fuel cost pass! Let us not forget to add that some of these countries selling petrol at a higher price than Nigeria have 'fully functional' refineries grin grin grin!
Re: Nigeria And The Price Of Petrol In Other Countries. by Nobody: 11:58am On Aug 04, 2016
Let's also take a look at the infrastructures,basic amenities and wages of those countries whose fuel prices are higher than Nigeria you will know that it will not affect their wellbeing.They use their oil to better the lives of their countrymen while the politicians down here embezzled the same funds
Re: Nigeria And The Price Of Petrol In Other Countries. by antispexish(m): 4:23pm On Aug 04, 2016
soberdrunk:

Guy where do i send your cold bottles of GULDER to??! I like when people put aside blind sentiments and do proper research, Nigerians just be screaming blue murder as if na 4 Nigeria fuel cost pass! Let us not forget to add that some of these countries selling petrol at a higher price than Nigeria have 'fully functional' refineries grin grin grin!
Re: Nigeria And The Price Of Petrol In Other Countries. by antispexish(m): 4:24pm On Aug 04, 2016
soberdrunk:

thanks
Re: Nigeria And The Price Of Petrol In Other Countries. by omostar: 4:40pm On Aug 04, 2016
Love Machine:
Let's also take a look at the infrastructures,basic amenities and wages of those countries whose fuel prices are higher than Nigeria you will know that it will not affect their wellbeing.They use their oil to better the lives of their countrymen while the politicians down here embezzled the same funds

Em.. do you mean like Gabon, Indonesia and Angola? undecided

(1) (Reply)

Ministry Of Budget And National Planning / I Turned Myself In, Army Ask Me To Go Back Home - Person Declared Wanted / FG Signs Mou On Dairy Production & Development With World Class Arla Foods(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.