Stats: 3,173,900 members, 7,889,967 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 06:05 AM

Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics (20708 Views)

CBN To Banks: Sell Forex To BDCs - Nairametrics / Possible Mergers & Takeovers That Can Save Troubled Nigerian Banks-Nairametrics / Ten Banks Pay 143 Directors N7.6bn In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by erusen: 7:43pm On Aug 05, 2016
magnetik:
If the same was done for Christian pilgrimage.. so what's wrong to do the same for Muslims...?
goddamm our economy is dying ,and 2015 we were FAR in better shape so I didn't a Bleep ,manufacturers are struggling for dollars in 2016 and ur is spending forex on jamboree
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Ghost447(m): 7:45pm On Aug 05, 2016
stchinedu:
Okay
Two good heads

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by worlexy(m): 7:46pm On Aug 05, 2016
magnetik:
If the same was done for Christian pilgrimage.. so what's wrong to do the same for Muslims...?
it was first done for Muslim pilgrimage last year then same was done for Christian pilgrimage as a form of balancing the equation. Now the point is, the two actions are very wrong, it's a misplaced priority.
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by foladara777(m): 7:46pm On Aug 05, 2016
Seriously, the govt shouldn't even sponsor pilgrimage in the first place... Not to talk of when d whole economy is comatose... You want to go on pilgrimage? Vewi Good!! Buh we are not paying for you! Best of Luck...
Am a Christian but religion is killing Nigeria!

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 05, 2016
I'm not an economic expert but the cost benefit analysis doesn't make any sense even in terms of social welfare when many homes can't feed... imagine u increased import tariffs of people trying to find ways to fend for themselves only to subsidize dollar for individual who will add no economic gain to the country's purse. I just don't get it men , There was indeed a country when money wasn't our problem how to spend it was... #backthen

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by acmilan1: 7:51pm On Aug 05, 2016
mutvy:
A dollar was sold for 100 naira to Christians during their pilgrimage to Jerusalem,nobody raised his or her eyebrows. Why the noise now?What the fuss about this? Please noisemakers, learn how to be tolerant.

get ur facts right...stop spreading falsehood

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by olajide8(m): 7:59pm On Aug 05, 2016
What's all this horse shit* when would these people in govt., understand that religious inclination is not the responsibility of the state

Something is going wrong somewhere

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Babycherry(f): 8:09pm On Aug 05, 2016
gurunlocker:
Progressive01, come and say something to this.

I know you have no clue about the consequences of that pilgrimage subsidy and you know nothing about exchange, you are a typical zombie as seen in your article.

Can you see the loss this will bring, what gain will the hajj bring to the Nigeria economy?

You were saying they did same thing for Christians, did you forgot the exchange rate then compare to now? As at today a dollar is #400 compare to last year #245..... and they are subsidizing below half of the current parallel rate, isn't that insane?
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Adminisher: 8:19pm On Aug 05, 2016
[quote author=justhelp post=48219565]Am supporting Apc govt but am not with Buhari on this, this is a bias move against importers and am disapointed. Why you rob peter to pay paul ?[/quote

I also support APC and YES this is wrong.
It is a pilgrimage, it is supposed to be painful.
The FG is opening itself the door to round tripping of dollars which degrades the spiritual significance of this exercise. No pilgrimage should be subsidised.

The reaction of people who feel strongly about this should be to SUE the FG to reverse this policy. Same goes for JAMB cut off differentials, quota system and LGAs in the north. Some of them our constitutional illegalities that can be changed by the courts instead of having idiots call for restructuring
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 05, 2016
Omenka will definitely like this grin grin

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by shizzleStar: 8:21pm On Aug 05, 2016
obailala:
Sometimes one can't help but wonder the kind of juju that is always used on decision makers in this country once they get to power. How did any normal human with a functional brain think this sort of thing is a good idea?

And one begins to wonder why the black race is so backward... People are dying of kwashiorkor in the north and in several parts of the country, the best priority for some people in power is to spend scarce billions subsidizing worthless spiritual trips?... If this foolishness is not rescinded, may high thunder strike the idiots who thought up and approved this nonsense as a good idea.
hmmmm hope you know your are referring to your 'messiah' here?

I thought your boohary can do no wrong? issorai

Or who else do you think gave the approval? smh

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by BABANGBALI: 8:22pm On Aug 05, 2016
Na wetin come be our own?mtcheeeeeeeeeeeeeeew

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by addizzle(f): 8:24pm On Aug 05, 2016
izzou:

How long will you take before you get here?

exercise patient
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Acczeez(m): 8:25pm On Aug 05, 2016
Naija my country!
If it favours my religion or my tribe, no problem, but when it favours people from the other side, there will now be an outcry.

If you know you did not complained during the subsidy for Christian pilgrimage don't bother to complain now.

Khalas!
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by izzou(m): 8:27pm On Aug 05, 2016
addizzle:
exercise patient

The change is burning off my patience very quickly

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by bidex(m): 8:27pm On Aug 05, 2016
Nicur:
The Central Bank of Nigeria has issued a circular instructing commercial banks to sell dollars to Pilgrims going to the Hajj at an exchange rate of N197.

The Central Bank explains that the sale of the forex will be funneled through commercial banks who are then mandated to sell to pilgrims at N197. Pilgrims are expected to purchase a minimum of $750 and a maximum of $1000 per pilgrim.

The circular also reveals there are a total of 65,197 Pilgrims, thus the CBN will sell as much as $65,197,000 assuming every Pilgrim buys as much as $1000 each.

Nigeria’s official exchange rate closed at about N315 which suggest that this sale could cost Nigerian tax payers about N7, 693, 246,000 in exchange rate loss (based on 315 -197=118).

This is not the first time the Central Bank is selling dollars to Pilgrims at a subsidized rate. Last August it also sold dollars at N160 at a time when the official exchange rate was about N197. Only that this time, the disparity is wider.

The implication for Nigerian tax payers is that the government is now incurring this sort of expense at a time when the economy is likely in a recession and millions are finding it hard to feed themselves. It is also at a time where the Nigerian government is running cap in hand begging foreign investors to invest in Nigeria so that we can boost our external reserves.

It also calls to question suspicions that government officials may be getting travel allowances at a different exchange rate from what is obtainable at the official interbank market.

The Central Bank of Nigeria floated the Naira on the 20th of June 2016 following a year-long policy of holding the exchange rate at a fixed rate of about N197/$1. Since floating the naira, the exchange rate has depreciated by as much 60% at the interbank and over 100% at the parallel market. The dollar closed at about N400 at the parallel market on Thursday.

http://nairametrics.com/cbn-to-lose-n7-6-billion-in-tax-payers-money-for-selling-dollars-to-hajj-pilgrims-n197/
This report is false!
official market is 197 not 315 as you claimed. 315 is black market.

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by CXLVII: 8:28pm On Aug 05, 2016
I'm not supporting FG for selling dollar at N197/$1 to Muslim pilgrims. Let's all recall that Christian pilgrims got dollar at [size=18pt]N160/$1[/size] not too long ago.

We have been subsidizing religion in Nigeria long before I was born yet our dear country is filled with corruption and immorality. The hypocrisy in Nigeria is unrivaled anywhere else in the world in my humble opinion.

Please GEJites, Biafrans and Wailers, if you know you didn't complain when Christians got dollar at N160, abeg make una let us hear word!

Composed by Tony Nwosu
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by addizzle(f): 8:31pm On Aug 05, 2016
izzou:

The change is burning off my patience very quickly

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by bidex(m): 8:31pm On Aug 05, 2016
Nicur:
later Buhari, Lai Mohammed and his gullible zombies will be looking for who to blame angry
Just look at how they are mismanaging the economy! like if you want thunder to fire them!! mynd44 and lalasticlala come and see oooh
dude dont be deluded the official price is 197 while black market is 315. dont let people deceive you
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Firefire(m): 8:31pm On Aug 05, 2016
gurunlocker:
Progressive01, come and say something to this.

I know you have no clue about the consequences of that pilgrimage subsidy and you know nothing about exchange, you are a typical zombie as seen in your article.

Can you see the loss this will bring, what gain will the hajj bring to the Nigeria economy?

You were saying they did same thing for Christians, did you forgot the exchange rate then compare to now? As at today a dollar is #400 compare to last year #245..... and they are subsidizing below half of the current parallel rate, isn't that insane?

Complete madness if you ask me. embarassed

But we have residence Zone-Bs using their data to continue to support the stupidity.

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by bidex(m): 8:34pm On Aug 05, 2016
Firefire:

But we have residence Zone-Bs using their data to continue to support the stupidity.
dude, dollar is 197 not 315 official market
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by bidex(m): 8:37pm On Aug 05, 2016
gists:
First, it is hypocritical to lament about the amount of money being lost because of the subsidy for Hajj pilgrims even though you kept quiet when the Christian pilgrims were also subsidised by the same government last year.

But having said that, this government campaigned that they will stop wastages. What better/bigger example of wastage can you think of than subsidizing pilgrimage - be it muslims or christians. The money being used for this purpose will go a long way in solving some of our pressing needs.

We should always talk and speak out when the government does something wrong. It is very silly and childish (to say the least) when you speak only when it favour you or while trying to pull down the other. It reminds me of Jibrin and Dogara.
that report is un true. Dollar is 197 officially while black market is 315. govt. has nothing to lose or gain
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Progressive01(m): 8:43pm On Aug 05, 2016
Firefire:

Since when did the same shameless bastards who support economic sabotage by NDA suddenly become so concerned about the well-being of the Nigerian economy.

When yall wanna see stupid, look in the mirror.

I've made my submission and I know how hurt some people will remain over it for the rest of the evening. Too bad that is all they can do- feel hurt.

Cowards be hiding behind other people's comment to throw feeble jabs.
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Firefire(m): 8:43pm On Aug 05, 2016
bidex:

dude, dollar is 197 not 315 official market

Please rephrase your statement, I don't understand?

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by izmercy(m): 8:46pm On Aug 05, 2016
magnetik:

Yes the economy is not on the good side but this is not too much of privilege to pilgrims. What alternative would you have suggested to ease the pilgrim's trip.
everything is this life is a business.Am sure we are not wiser than Allah that made pilgrimage the fifth pillar and it comes with a clause; if you can afford it. so what is the point? am saying exactly what I will say if my beloved family is part of the sponsored.
moreover, this country is sitting on a gun power.we shouldn't trigger anything that will ignite it. And concerning the mumu FFK, I am Christian and am not a second class citizen!
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by bidex(m): 8:48pm On Aug 05, 2016
Firefire:

Please rephrase your statement, I don't understand?
dollar's official market is 197 not 315. black market is 315
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nusaf: 9:03pm On Aug 05, 2016
Babycherry:

Don't mind them, one fool they call nusaf plans to go to this pilgrimage one day
This professional ashawo, u ran away after all the boast and instead of u to hide urself u are still mentioning my name here. For ur information, I have been there and it is the turn of my wife. U think it is a wish because to u that is more like a mirage. I know, for u to raise the amount involved the p***y must have started leaking. And certainly even if u can raise half of that, u will rather invest it in the treatment of that retired old slutty woman u call mum who is suffering from numerous veneral diseases she had contacted while in active whorely service. As I have said, if u run to a moderator, u are a coward and not different from a dog which goes back to its vomitous.
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by emymeeky: 9:12pm On Aug 05, 2016
magnetik:

If you paid #50,000 to ur first son as school fees when you were earning #100k , can you afford to pay #50,000 for ur second son if your new salary is #5,000 ?
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Pavarottii(m): 9:16pm On Aug 05, 2016
Progressive01:
Since when did the same shameless bastards who support economic sabotage by NDA suddenly become so concerned about the well-being of the Nigerian economy.

When yall wanna see stupid, look in the mirror.

I've made my submission and I know how hurt some people will remain over it for the rest of the evening. Too bad that is all they can do- feel hurt.

Cowards be hiding behind other people's comment to throw feeble jabs.
Na hungry dey catch dis one, make una give am food.

Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nobody: 9:42pm On Aug 05, 2016
magnetik:

They are Nigerians bro.. there should be some privileges in such case

What's my privilege if I'm not a Christian or a Muslim?
Re: Dollars To Hajj Pilgrims: CBN To Lose N7.6bn Tax Payers' Money - Nairametrics by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 05, 2016

An Open Letter To Zenith Bank / BUA Vows To Maintain N3500 Cement Price From January / US Overtakes Saudi Arabia, Russia As Largest Oil Producer

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49