Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,623 members, 7,972,296 topics. Date: Friday, 11 October 2024 at 08:31 AM

How To Compose A Good And Standard Curriculum Vitae - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Compose A Good And Standard Curriculum Vitae (673 Views)

10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae / 6 Tips For Writing A Winning Curriculum Vitae / Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Compose A Good And Standard Curriculum Vitae by dazzlingbabe(f): 9:43am On Aug 09, 2016
Good morning everyone, pls I need hints on how to compose a well detail, short and precise CV. Eagerly waiting for your responses. thnks
Re: How To Compose A Good And Standard Curriculum Vitae by vengedre(m): 9:46am On Aug 09, 2016
Re: How To Compose A Good And Standard Curriculum Vitae by Nobody: 10:04am On Aug 09, 2016
here, I believe so much emphasis has been laid on quality CV's, Key ingredients and what I view. The world has evolved and as such, one pattern of CV really won't fetch more in the already jam packed labour market.
That being said, a good CV among other things should contain the following vital points:
1. NAME OF THE BEARER: Many atimes, we make the costly mistake of putting " Curriculum Vitae" as the heading of our CV. The entire information an applicant is supplying to a recruiter is termed as curriculum vitae or Resume ( If concise). Bearing name should be at the heading in accordance to the name he/she bears in his certificates. Some prefers to start with first in that other to the last name while some prefers it the other Way round.

2. CONTACT DETAILS: Depending on the pattern one is employing, contact details form an integral part of the bearer information and as such, should be beneath the boldly written bearer's name. That been said, it should start with the bearer home address ( No P. O Box), communication line ( which cut across mobile phone number and email address) centralized or aligned to either side depending on the format that suit you.

3. PROFESSIONAL STATEMENT: This part offers job seekers the ample opportunity to sell them out before an interview thereby increasing the likelihood of being shortlisted. It should comprise among other things, your discipline, school you graduated from, your grade ( if 2:1 or 1:1) your skills

4. PROFILE DETAILS: This is also very important but shouldn't be stressed beyond necessary. It should contain your date of birth, state of origin, Gender, marital status among others. Remember, this shouldn't be stressed beyond necessary.

5. CORE COMPETENCIES : Again, there comes a chance to sell yourself. In concise and precise manner using bullets where necessary, job seeker should itemize their skills into these two heading ; professional and technical skills. Your technical skills may include Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, AUTOCAD or coreldraw. While professional Skills are the skills you'll see in day to day CV's

6. EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS: many jobseeker make the mistake of separating the two. It bores employers to read that you graduated from Ahmadu Bello University under education section and again read that you hold 2:1 in Geography from Ahmadu Bello University. That's boring. That being said, starting from your most recent qualifications with the institution you attended boldly written underneath it, jobseekers should clearly itemize their qualifications using such MS Office tools as bold and bullets
7. RELEVANT WORK EXPERIENCE :I've come to realize the common mistakes people often make when they get to this part. Have you ever seen something like " working experience" before? Have you seen a detailed list of work experience without being dated in chronological order??. All those are common mistakes. However, for a well written CV, the recent place of work should come first with it date. The same follows for others to you get to the last. Trainings, Internship and volunteer programs shouldn't be left but the should be dated appropriately.

8. CERTIFICATION AND TRAINING; in writing a good CV, the importance of certification can never be over emphasised. As a matter of fact, your experience and certifications gives you an utter advantage over others either in selection or been hired. This is not compulsory but it necessary. So if you've obtained any other certificates aside your normal DEGREE, Itemize in a chronological order. If perhaps during your NYSC, you were in one group or the other and you are opportune to be rewarded with a certificate, put it there.

9 HOBBY AND INTERESTS; Always remember that the essence of writing a good CV is to catch the fancy of a recruiter. Your hobbies should follow suit with the job description. How ever, there are some hobbies that you can't just help but put them on your CV. Such include : meeting people, Research, Playing Chess, Reading, playing Scrabble. Mind you, chess and Scrabble are not just game, they help build your I.Q and make you think faster.

10. REFEREE ; if you have referees or if you are willing to divulge the contacts of your referees during the selection process, put them there with there address, workplace address and contact information boldly written. If how ever, you still wish to withhold those information til you are selected for the the job, simply put on your CV " Available on request". The choice is totally yours.

I'll love to send you samples of mine but not to worry, the aforementioned point should serve as a guide.
I've seen on this forum, people paying " a token" as they ll always call it for there CV to be re- written. The truth Is no one knows you than yourself. Use the Internet to your own advantage. Scout for uploaded CV format of people of your own discipline. Tailor your CV in accordance to that and save that " token' to attend interviews and aptitude test.

5 Likes

Re: How To Compose A Good And Standard Curriculum Vitae by dazzlingbabe(f): 5:26pm On Aug 16, 2016
Thank you very much Slyone, I really appreciate. I like to ask for how to really hit a job out there as a fresh graduate, not having much experience, stil waiting for NYSC call up letter, and I really wanna do something before the call up. pls wat do u advise?
Re: How To Compose A Good And Standard Curriculum Vitae by dazzlingbabe(f): 5:27pm On Aug 16, 2016
Thank you very much Slyone2, I really appreciate. I like to ask for how to really hit a job out there as a fresh graduate, not having much experience, stil waiting for NYSC call up letter, and I really wanna do something before the call up. pls wat do u advise?

(1) (Reply)

Graphic Design, Cartooning And Copy Writing/ Content Writing Training / Executive Assistant, Marketing, Business Development & Customer Acquisition / Federal Inland Revenue Service FIRS Recruitment 2016 Apply Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.