Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,457 members, 7,971,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 10 October 2024 at 01:25 PM

Middle East Cities Which Have Become Popular due to wars and military operations - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Middle East Cities Which Have Become Popular due to wars and military operations (416 Views)

Woman Fired After Giving Trump The Middle Finger Gets $60,000 From Supporters / More Than £40,000 Raised For Woman Fired For Lifting Middle Finger To President / Breaking: African Forces Suspend Military Operations In Gambia For Final Talks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Middle East Cities Which Have Become Popular due to wars and military operations by donestk(m): 12:23pm On Aug 11, 2016
I knew little or nothing about the Middle East region back in the early 2000s. But this changed after the US led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

As a curious lad, my eyes were glued to CNN for daily updates of the operation.

Basra: this city was taken by the British, US staunch ally during the invasion.

Nasiriya: the southern port city taken by US forces.

Baghdad: Iraqi capital which also fell to the coalition.

Tikrit: Sadam Husein's hometown after his capture
Re: Middle East Cities Which Have Become Popular due to wars and military operations by donestk(m): 12:25pm On Aug 11, 2016
Afghan war

The US also invaded Afghanistan following the 911 terror attacks on the US homeland.

Nonetheless, I learnt that the country's capital is Kabul.
Re: Middle East Cities Which Have Become Popular due to wars and military operations by donestk(m): 12:30pm On Aug 11, 2016
Arab spring

Egypt
Following the ouster of president Hosni Mubarak, I learnt about Alexandria. Nevertheless, Cairo has also been popular as the Egyptian capital.

Libya
The bloody civil war that engulfed Libya in the wake of the Arab spring revealed to me the following cities.
Sirte
Tripoli
Misrata
Bengazi

Syria
The ongoing Syrian war by Assad led government and opposition forces has also unveiled some cities which often make headlines.

Aleppo
Homs
Damascus
Re: Middle East Cities Which Have Become Popular due to wars and military operations by seunny4lif(m): 3:04pm On Aug 11, 2016
Borno grin grin grin
Bayesa grin grin
Nigeria
Re: Middle East Cities Which Have Become Popular due to wars and military operations by omololu2020(m): 10:27am On Aug 12, 2016
Odi
Zaka biam
Gundubali
Potiskum
Buni yadi
Chibok
Bama

(1) (Reply)

Trump Is Winning Everybody: Ted Cruz Finally Is On Trump’s Train!! / Justice Department Seeks Approval For Email Search Against Hillary Clinton / US Election: Trump Poised For Shock White House Win

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.