Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,043 members, 7,942,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 04:42 PM

The Nivenger - Kachi Ugo (an Action Thriller) - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Nivenger - Kachi Ugo (an Action Thriller) (4190 Views)

The Adventure Of Idris [AN ACTION THRILLER] By Musty / The Fulcrum (an Action Packed Spy Thriller) / The Package [crime Action Thriller] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Nivenger - Kachi Ugo (an Action Thriller) by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 22, 2016
kachiugo has abandoned us
Re: The Nivenger - Kachi Ugo (an Action Thriller) by KachiUgo(m): 5:38pm On Oct 23, 2016
lorelife:
seriously I luv dis piece. plzz feed me more. more mb 2 ur device.

Thanks. More Coming...
Re: The Nivenger - Kachi Ugo (an Action Thriller) by KachiUgo(m): 5:45pm On Oct 23, 2016
rawswag:
kachiugo has abandoned us

No he hasn't! He's working out the plot. Trying to decide the best possible route.
Re: The Nivenger - Kachi Ugo (an Action Thriller) by Nobody: 6:58am On Oct 24, 2016
KachiUgo:

No he hasn't! He's working out the plot. Trying to decide the best possible route.
OK I hope he gives us more updates.. and again nice writeup
Re: The Nivenger - Kachi Ugo (an Action Thriller) by KachiUgo(m): 3:02pm On Oct 24, 2016
rawswag:
OK I hope he gives us more updates.. and again nice writeup

Thanks! Updating in a few...
Re: The Nivenger - Kachi Ugo (an Action Thriller) by KachiUgo(m): 6:09pm On Oct 24, 2016
www.kachiugo.com
Twitter: @KachiUgo
FB: Kachi Ugo - Author

The Nivenger
by Kachi Ugo

Copyright, 2016
All rights reserved.

The darkness was absolute, the dark inky void above dominating the heavens. Rain battered the earth, and great puddles of water ravaged the muddy road in a shanty part of Victoria Island. There was not a soul around. Ramshackle squat buildings dotted the landscape, and a cold wind broadly swept the area, proceeding from the nearby ocean. There was a single lamppost on the street, which flood an area with bright golden incandescent light. The winds and rain rose and fell in intensity, becoming very tempestuous most times. Aside from the incredible drum of rain against zinc roofing sheets and bare ground, there was no sound in the area. It looked like a dead zone, the hovels of houses looking eerily dead, though within them were housed the poorest and basest of society.

At exactly 8:00PM, the sublime peace of this street was disturbed by two Black SUVs. They approached each other from opposite sides of the street, stopping driver door to driver door at the bright spot under the lamppost. The SUVs were tinted an impenetrable black and their license plates were hidden behind leather jackets. The SUVs remained running, while parked beside each other. At exactly the same time, the drivers of the two vehicles wound their windows down.

Two men were revealed. One was bigger than the other.

“Good evening, General,” said the smaller man to the bigger man.

The bigger man responded with a pronounced sneer that split his face left and right. He had a big and imposing stature. His face was stripped with deep scars that resembled tribal marks, which accentuated the wicked look he naturally possessed. His face was hairy to the point it obliterated his facial features, and pronounced on his lower beards were bubbles of what appeared to liquor. Rising out of his vehicle into the stingy, salty air was the sharp, pungent smell of sour wine.

The smaller man, though put off by the senior officer’s odor, remained impassive. In fact, he had a pleasant look on his face. This was because he knew whom he spoke to. He knew for whom the man worked for. He knew why he was here. And the dread he contended with predominated his mind such that he had little care for the discomfort of a bad smell.

“What news have you brought me?” asked the senior officer.

The smaller man hesitated. In his mind he recalled the torture people who brought The Colonel bad news had to endure, though they weren’t the cause of these bad news. Pictures of bruised, battered, and mortally injured junior officers rent his mind with a piercing terror. The smaller man looked into his car for a moment to shield the fear that was now hazing his vision from The Colonel.

Some had been killed out rightly. It was as though they were back in the dark ages, when there was no rule of law. Though Nigeria was a democratic state, in the corridors of power, where it all mattered, this was a mere illusion. And the smaller man had seen this first hand.

“There was an attack at the Air Force Base in Ikeja,” replied the smaller man.

“Who?” asked the bigger man.

“The Nivenger.”

“When?”

“About an hour ago.”

The Colonel considered it for a moment. Though he was a General in the Nigerian army, he was secretly known as The Colonel, the one whose death would activate the Lazarus Protocol. The General had picked up the code name, The Colonel, during his tour as a Colonel with a secret JTF that infiltrated a terrorist network in the heart of Iraq. This JTF had involved US, UK, and French special forces operatives as well. However, the Colonel had so outshined his peers and had been solely responsible for saving the team when the mission had gone south and assassinating the terrorist they had gone after.

The mission had been denied by the US and UK and every document on the mission had been redacted. Nevertheless, tales of this Nigerian operative—The Colonel—had spread to almost every military in the world, including Nigeria. Even though he rose in rank, he retained the code name, The Colonel. Though this code name was a closely guarded secret and only a handful of people within the Military knew who The Colonel really was. This was why The Nivenger was going after top military leaders. He was searching for The Colonel.

“Was the Base Commander on duty?” asked The Colonel.

“Yes, sir,” replied the man.

“What did he say?”

“We can’t be sure, sir,” replied the man. “By the time Military Police mobilized on sight, they found him shot to the chest with an arrow.”

The eyes of The Colonel flew wide with rage. “What?” he bellowed, his guttural yell carrying through the smashing rain. The Colonel slammed his hands on his steering wheel, causing the smaller man to cringe back in terror though he was in the safety of his vehicle.

“What happened to the company of soldiers guarding him?” The Colonel roared.

“They were all murdered by The Nivenger,” the smaller man replied instantly, the words seemingly flowing forth, intelligent, from his mouth.

There was a harrowing silence.

“I was told to tell you that he might come after you,” said the smaller man. “You need to take precaution.”

“By who?”

The smaller man cocked his eyebrow. “The people I work for.”

“The DSS?”

The smaller officer nodded.

The Colonel sniggered. “What do you care? You have enough troubles on your hands as it is, detaining those judges. I’m surprised the Nivenger hasn’t already come for them.”

The smaller man smirked. “Where we are keeping the judges, the Nivenger would be too scared to approach.” The man paused. Then he added, “Are you going to inform them?”

“The Cabal?” asked The Colonel. He didn’t wait for a reply, before he said, “No. I’ll handle this one on my own.”

“Are you sure?” asked the smaller man. “Your life is in danger. At least tell the COAS. He’s in town.”

This brought surprise to The Colonel’s face. “How the hell did you know he’s in town?”

The smaller man smirked again. “I’m DSS, remember? Knowing people’s secret is my business.”

“DO you know who The Nivenger is?”

“No,” replied the smaller man, sadly. “But my guess is he’s an NYSC member in Lagos. I’ve sent an agent to infiltrate their ranks. The Nivenger will slip someday, and when he does, the DSS will be there to apprehend him.”

“Will he stand trial?”

The smaller man scoffed. “No. He’ll disappear.”

The two men understood that reference.

The Colonel sighed. “Keep in touch,” he said. “I’ll inform the Chief of Army Staff right away.”

The smaller man nodded, and as if choreographed, the two men wound their windows up and drove their separate ways, the small inconsequential street falling back dead.

“Hello,” came an angry voice over the phone.

“It’s me sir,” said the Colonel, his handheld on his ear. He was parked in the garage of his Ikoyi residence. It was raining here also, but in his garage there was a commanding silence.

“The Colonel,” said the Chief of Army Staff—COAS. “We are to meet tomorrow. Except this is an emergency I’m going to hang up the phone right now.”

“He might know who I am,” said The Colonel.

There was silence.

“Is it because of the attack on the Air Force base?” asked the COAS.

“They say he came for my name,” replied the Colonel. “He wants to know who I am. If he finds me, there will be only one left before the Lazarus Protocol is activated. I need not remind you what that will entail…”

The COAS gave a loud sigh.

“We have to tell the Cabal,” said The Colonel.

The COAS sniggered. “They already probably know. We need to take action against this vigilante before he does something the entire nation will regret. It’s not just about the Liberian, it is about what happens before the Liberian comes forth.”

“I remember the last time the Liberian came forth,” said the COAS, a sad memory on his tongue.

“The Civil War?” said The Colonel.

“Yes for Nigeria,” replied the COAS. “The Holocaust in Germany, the Chernobyl nuclear disaster in Russia, Nine Eleven in the US, and the list goes on. Anywhere, anytime the Liberian is called major disasters precede.”

“We can’t let this mad man enact the Lazarus Protocol,” whispered The Colonel.

“We need to call in the twins,” suggested the COAS.

The Colonel gasped in abject fright. “That’s insane, excuse me for saying, sir! The Cabal will never sanction such a thing.”

“The twins are our only hope if we want to stop this Nivenger before he enacts the Lazarus Protocol,” said the COAS.

“But contracting them will cost the Cabal a fortune,” said The Colonel. “Even more it will bankrupt them.”

“But they will still be standing,” replied the COAS. “And Nigeria and Nigerians all over the world will still be safe.”

The Colonel said, “Sir, let me deal with The Nivenger. I’m not some senator or out of shape base commander that a man in a mask holding a bow and arrow can kill. I will assign more specially trained soldiers to my residence and will prepare for him. He will never be able to kill me.”

The COAS considered this for a moment before he said, “Okay. But if you fail, I will give the order. I will contract the twins to kill The Nivenger. I will call in Scylla and Charybdis.” And the line went dead.

As the COAS called their names, a terrible chill slid down The Colonel’s spine.

The moment Alex Rolland sneaked into his room, the light came on. Alex’s left hand immediately came to his eyes to shield them from the harsh glare of the overhead fluorescent. Then his free right hand skillfully pushed to his behind the bag that contained his gear.

His roommate, Lexie Whitehall, was sitting by his computer near the light switch. He was a tall, bony looking guy in his early twenties with thick rimmed glasses. He wore a white T shirt that hung from his frame and a brown pair of trousers.

Alex looked at him, uncertain. “Uh…” he muttered, wondering what he would say.

Lexie cocked his eyebrow, “Yes?” he said in his thick American accent.

“Look, what do you want me to say?” Alex replied, easily recovering from his previous shock at finding his roommate awake and waiting for him. “I went to the bar.”

Lexie’s eyes fell down to his right hand which was bent around his back. “And what might you be hiding in that bag, Alex … or should I say Nivenger?”

Terror struck at Alex like a loud sounding gong.

He stuttered, his mind fuzzy as he tried to understand what had just happened.

“You can’t fool me, Alex,” said Lexie. “I graduated summa cum lade from Harvard University. I have a PhD in computer science. It is my job to analyze and solve problems. You don’t think you could be moonlighting as a vigilante and your room mate wouldn’t know?”

Alex Rolland still had his mouth agape.

Lexie scoffed. “I see you don’t give me too much credit. I know you’re The Nivenger, Alex. I didn’t suspect until the killing of the senator. Then I put a tracker on you. When you showed up at the airport where Abdulla was killed and now at the air force base where all those soldiers were killed, I pieced it all together.”

Alex Rolland dropped his bag on his bed and drew to full height. “Suppose you’re right. Suppose your ridiculous statements are true. What are you going to do about it?”

Then Lexie smiled. “If I were right, and I am by the way, and you were The Nivenger, I would swear allegiance to you. This country is way too corrupt. The only way we’re going to make progress is through a cleansing. And I want in.”

Alex Rolland said, “You want in? What could you possibly do?”

Lexie gestured at his computer. “Is there something you’re looking for? Somebody you’re trying to find, maybe?”

Alex’s heart leapt in his chest. “The Colonel,” he said immediately.

Lexie nodded. He tapped away at his computer, a series of alpha numeric code running up and down the screen. After a few seconds, he said, “The Colonel is the military code name for a senior officer in the Nigerian Army named General Emeka Okeke. There’s a lot of information on him I can send them to you when—”

“I just need his present location,” said Alex Rolland, shell shocked at the ease with which the tech whiz he had for a roommate had found an information he had labored to get for the past two weeks since he killed Senator Abdulla.

“He’s currently residing at his Ikoyi residence,” Lexie said, taking a piece of paper and scribbling on it. He handed the paper to Alex.

Alex took the paper and looked at the address. After a moment, he looked up at the unassuming guy. “Are you sure about this?”

“About wanting to join you or about the address?” asked Lexie.

“Wanting to join me,” said Alex.

Lexie nodded.

“But first,” Alex said, taking a tall stool and pulling it up to Lexie. Sitting down, he said, “But first, you have to know everything. How I became what I am.”

Lexie nodded.

Alex took a deep breath then said, “My name is Alex Rolland, and I am the Nivenger.”

Beware, O ye corrupt leaders, for the Nivenger is coming for you!
Re: The Nivenger - Kachi Ugo (an Action Thriller) by Peterdrumz(m): 5:48am On Oct 25, 2016
Nice update bro: but the updates are slow coming
Re: The Nivenger - Kachi Ugo (an Action Thriller) by lorelife(m): 10:03pm On Oct 25, 2016
u are just good bro. more inspiration 2 u, while I wait 4 d next update
Re: The Nivenger - Kachi Ugo (an Action Thriller) by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 26, 2016
KachiUgo:

Thanks! Updating in a few...
very nice update sir..... I think am slowly turning into Oliver twist... more more more!!! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Earth, My City And My Heartthrob / Internet Writing Guide (A Must-Read!) / Nairaland Literature Awards Of The Year- Poetry Included-- Voting Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.