Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,410 members, 7,901,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 12:45 AM

Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 (33682 Views)

Obinna Ebirim Robert Gordon University Member Of Governing Body: The Only Black / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate. / Jude Okonkwo Accepted Into All Ivy League School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by moski5(m): 12:40am On Aug 15, 2016
me just curious
seems she didn't take a pic with d rest of her class
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Onogiede(m): 12:41am On Aug 15, 2016
Jozzy1063:
PHCN has refused to take away d light ooo. First tym am using light for ova 16hours at a strech. Am I still in Nigeria.can't believe dis.
give kudos to the N-Delta for accepting fair of peace for now, all the gas power plant are currently flowing, Edo2000Mw, Delta250Mw infact all the states in there
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Churchillumoren: 12:53am On Aug 15, 2016
Congratulations. But what is d meaning she is d only black. Is that a measure for brilliance. Cornell is not cheap. Because she is black doesn't mean several blacks applied, but rejected, or all other blacks could not graduate. She graduated from chemical doesn't mean no black graduated that year. Just celebrate ur success don't throw in ur race...

3 Likes

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Churchillumoren: 12:58am On Aug 15, 2016
LastMumu:

Not as if I'm hating or something but I was expecting to see a more inspiring record set by her.

She was the only black Female in her set in her department and that's enough to make the news? Like seriously? Na record be that? undecided

Congratulations to her though, graduating from an Ivy league school is no easy task.

That's my take too...only black how, like in d US or d school. Is she saying no other black could get in, or all other blacks failed. U happened to be d only one not measure for brilliance

Lastmumu
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Khd95(m): 1:40am On Aug 15, 2016
[quote author=Dekingmoses post=48484432][/quote]
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by jojosweet(f): 1:40am On Aug 15, 2016
Ivy league or not school is not easy biko...make she congratulobia smiley
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by armyofone(m): 2:21am On Aug 15, 2016
grin oh mine. Hallelujah to me, myself and I kind of thing.
She should have allowed someone else do the praise. But then, everyone for themselves. I need to go post I just ate Basil soup as no one else has been able to do so in USA... cheesy
Congratulations to her.

aflyingbird:
im studying engineering myself . good for her for completing her studies but y go on social media to hype urself up ? d world now knows u read engineering n now hv a job in san francisco , big deal. becuz ur black n a woman doesnt mean u can't read engineering . it's pple like her making things hard for black girls cuz she's making a big deal out of things we're fukin capable of doing

1 Like

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by AreaFada2: 2:49am On Aug 15, 2016
pippimp:

Thank God. At least someone has sense. I don't know why Nigerians love associating with people who don't give two phucks about you. These guys would not be able to identify Nigeria on a map. They may have Nigerian parents or born in Nigeria but they don't consider themselves Nigerian. No one likes to be connected with a country that is rubbish.

Wrong. It depends on how kids are brought up.
Some diaspora kids are more proud of 9ja than many 9ja resident Nigerians. Maybe because diaspora kids are not fully aware of the dysfunction in 9ja. At least not from lifelong experience.

Like whenever they visit 9ja, they live in nice houses put up by their diaspora parents over the years. They see poverty around alright, but they are also notice how cheerful & friendly Nigerians are despite.

On the other hand if they never visit 9ja, parents don't discuss 9ja challenges with them, they never get to witness actual feeling of interacting with Nigerians in Nigeria, their perspective might be different.

If you're currently raising diaspora kids, bring them home as often as you can & you see friends do same & some don't, you will understand my point.

As regard contributing to 9ja, things are changing fast. In the future, diaspora kids maybe seconded by foreign companies to their branch based in 9ja. They won't even need work permit to live & work in 9ja.

And another thing: if she was caught with drugs or a fraudster or prostitute, her Nigerianess would be plastered all over Western media. Even if she has never breath 9ja air once in her life.

Now that it's good news, we reserve the right to savour it too. cheesy cheesy grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by pippimp(m): 3:06am On Aug 15, 2016
AreaFada2:

Wrong. It depends on how kids are brought up.
Some diaspora kids are more proud of 9ja than many 9ja resident Nigerians. Maybe because diaspora kids are not fully aware of the dysfunction in 9ja. At least not from lifelong experience.

Like whenever they visit 9ja, they live in nice houses put up by their diaspora parents over the years. They see poverty around alright, but they are also notice how cheerful & friendly Nigerians are despite.

On the other hand if they never visit 9ja, parents don't discuss 9ja challenges with them, they never get to witness actual feeling of interacting with Nigerians in Nigeria, their perspective might be different.

If you're currently raising diaspora kids, bring them home as often as you can & you see friends do same & some don't, you will understand my point.

As regard contributing to 9ja, things are changing fast. In the future, diaspora kids maybe seconded by foreign companies to their branch based in 9ja. They won't even need work permit to live & work in 9ja.

And another thing: if she was caught with drugs or a fraudster or prostitute, her Nigerianess would be plastered all over Western media. Even if she has never breath 9ja air once in her life.

Now that it's good news, we reserve the right to savour it too. cheesy cheesy grin grin

You obviously don't know. I do. Unless you have personal experiences with what you are saying then you don't know what you are talking about. All the kids i know that are of Nigerian parents don't even want to be associated with Nigeria. It takes one visit to cure them of their illusion of being a part of Nigeria. You seem not to understand the extent of the abnormality that Nigeria projects. You guys might be used to it but normal people aren't. Who wants to take a stroll and the next thing is to see a human being burned in the streets, or policeman harassing you for 20 Naira?

1 Like

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by DanielPop(m): 5:30am On Aug 15, 2016
Checked and confirmed........South-South specimen. Quite distinct from the Western kind! grin.
Khd95:
Head coordinator NCA south east zonal head quarters.....pls come and examine this specimen grin grin grin

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by thewatcher2020: 5:31am On Aug 15, 2016
aflyingbird:
im studying engineering myself . good for her for completing her studies but y go on social media to hype urself up ? d world now knows u read engineering n now hv a job in san francisco , big deal. becuz ur black n a woman doesnt mean u can't read engineering . it's pple like her making things hard for black girls cuz she's making a big deal out of things we're fukin capable of doing

Bless you! As for me, I don't even like celebrating feats with "the first black to this and that...". I mean, it is demeaning. You are black, are you not human? It is a better record if it is "the first person to...". Sometimes we as black African people readily offer ourselves up for ridiculous scrutiny from the eyes of the people on the "other" side. That said, imagine a situation were all black graduates in the history of an institution graduated with a pass. Then comes a "first black person" to graduate with a third class, are we to celebrate such too as the "first black person to graduate with a third class?" No! The celebratory theme blacks should strive for is TOTAL EXCELLENCE and not partial feats like this.

From the perspective of sports, Usain bolt isn't just the "first black" to set those records, he's the FIRST PERSON to set those athletic records of his. Hence, we should allow other black women and men grow just like you've suggested sister and not place some unnecessary psychological burden on them like this lady who now "works in San Francisco". TMI!

2 cents up there.

3 Likes

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by adconline(m): 6:15am On Aug 15, 2016
sarzy:

Exactly. Looks like she's not even a full Nigerian. Did you observe that she attended high school in the US? Probabaly born there sef. An American citizen! Not worth celebrating for Nigerians because she'd most likely never return to be of any use to this country!
Mr Census,
What made u think she's not Nigerian? Does she owe Naija anything to return? Must she work in Naija in order to be from Naija??
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Khd95(m): 7:33am On Aug 15, 2016
DanielPop:
Checked and confirmed........South-South specimen. Quite distinct from the Western kind! grin.
copied!!!

Over! Over!! Over!!! grin grin grin
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by keynesstreet2: 7:50am On Aug 15, 2016
dejavubobo1:
NCAN reporting live from ikorodu..

scanning the name for tribal identification

result not found. are u sure she's Nigerian ?
Proudly Bini Girl..... from Edo State........

1 Like

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Garshyzee(m): 7:53am On Aug 15, 2016
bt her boobs massive sha shocked
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Brigadier7(m): 8:17am On Aug 15, 2016
My Edo lady
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Brigadier7(m): 8:20am On Aug 15, 2016
blessedvisky:
Yorubas right now
shes Bini
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by AreaFada2: 8:50am On Aug 15, 2016
pippimp:

You obviously don't know. I do. Unless you have personal experiences with what you are saying then you don't know what you are talking about. All the kids i know that are of Nigerian parents don't even want to be associated with Nigeria. It takes one visit to cure them of their illusion of being a part of Nigeria. You seem not to understand the extent of the abnormality that Nigeria projects. You guys might be used to it but normal people aren't. Who wants to take a stroll and the next thing is to see a human being burned in the streets, or policeman harassing you for 20 Naira?

Hehehehe. You are very assuming.

Look, 9ja society has too much ills than a country of its resources, human & natural should have. Most of us agree on that.
In America, people do take a drive or a walk and get gunned down by gangs or even by the police. From behind sometimes.

Some Nigerian kids have been stabbed to death in UK too. There are ills everywhere. The difference is only about the magnitude.

For me, the kids visiting home includes going to their ancestral villages. An experience they have cherished each time to my surprise.
About the age of 5 when kids return from school and start talking funny things about wars, hunger & Aids/disease in Africa as told in school, is the time to head to Africa at the latest. My approach that has been positive thus far at least. They have thoroughly enjoyed freedom to play around. The insects & noise of gen they complained about. But have not dented their positive disposition. It is them now pestering to go visit grandparents & other relatives yearly.

Now, I know some who delayed taking kids home till they were between 16 & 18. Most just went there sulking, just waiting for it to be over and return. That might be already too late for some. A few still liked it though even at that age. I have been telling a relative to quickly take her 8 year old kid home. He already has an unhealthy view of Africa. Something common to the West.

The kids are always proud to dress in African attire to school & church (protestant/oyinbo church) when celebrating Africa or black people.
You make your bed the way you want to lie on it. Raising kids is similar.

1 Like

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by pippimp(m): 9:05am On Aug 15, 2016
AreaFada2:

Hehehehe. You are very assuming.

Look, 9ja society has too much ills than a country of its resources, human & natural should have. Most of us agree on that.
In America, people do take a drive or a walk and get gunned down by gangs or even by the police. From behind sometimes.

Some Nigerian kids have been stabbed to death in UK too. There are ills everywhere. The difference is only about the magnitude.

For me, the kids visiting home includes going to their ancestral villages. An experience they have cherished each time to my surprise.
About the age of 5 when kids return from school and start talking funny things about wars, hunger & Aids/disease in Africa as told in school, is the time to head to Africa at the latest. My approach that has been positive thus far at least. They have thoroughly enjoyed freedom to play around. The insects & noise of gen they complained about. But have not dented their positive disposition. It is them now pestering to go visit grandparents & other relatives yearly.

Now, I know some who delayed taking kids home till they were between 16 & 18. Most just went there sulking, just waiting for it to be over and return. That might be already too late for some. A few still liked it though even at that age. I have been telling a relative to quickly take her 8 year old kid home. He already has an unhealthy view of Africa. Something common to the West.

The kids are always proud to dress in African attire to school & church (protestant/oyinbo church) when celebrating Africa or black people.
You make your bed the way you want to lie on it. Raising kids is similar.

Crime happens everywhere in the world. The difference is the magnitude, and the reactions of citizens to such crimes. You will never see someone gunned down in America and it's citizens gather around cheering. If you have please show me where. In Nigeria, people take front row seats to witness lynchings, clapping and cheering, and if possible, buy popcorn to enjoy the occasion. And from what i've experienced, Nigerians love subjugation and oppression. One of the main reasons Nigerians abroad love to come home is to oppress and show off what they have. Not because of the love of the country. And Nigerians make it easy for them with their cowering wide eyed demeanor. Even if kids go back home, to them, it is just a tourist attraction. One has to be crazy to want to be associated with a society where nothing works, is dirty and unbelievably unsafe when you have a choice.
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by chucky101(m): 10:29am On Aug 15, 2016
Chimamanda Adichie would probably find that picture where she bared her tummy irritating.
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by innofair(m): 11:21am On Aug 15, 2016
hello people..do you know you can make money online? i just discovered a verified and a very reliable website(it was launched by paul samson,in march 2016) where you can have a one-time investment turned into a stream of income. register with this link of mine and say goodbye to financial dependence. you determine your earnings. remember.... you only invest once.please register with my referral link and you will be glad you did. i have never in my life been convinced about a website like this one. after registering, please message me to tell you what next to do.the good thing is that the money can be paid directly into ur Nigerian bank account. so you dont have to worry. you can withdraw your earnings and be paid on fridays. in the column for sponsor/referrer, type this id.......Inno360. thats my id
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by Nobody: 2:07pm On Aug 15, 2016
wow
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by davidif: 3:15am On Oct 27, 2016
WOW!!! Cornell University! You try.
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by davidif: 3:17am On Oct 27, 2016
blessedvisky:
Yorubas right now

Who cares if she is Yoruba? What's stunning is that she is the only black girl to graduate from her department and that she was 1 of 6 black girls to graduate from the college of Engineering. That must have been super impressive. Getting into Cornell University is no easy feat i can tell you that for sure making her achievement even more impressive.
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by davidif: 3:20am On Oct 27, 2016
LastMumu:
Not much of a record undecided

WHAT?!?!?!?!? Do you even have any idea how tough it is to get into Cornell University in the first place?
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by blessedvisky(m): 3:23am On Oct 27, 2016
davidif:

Who cares if she is Yoruba? What's stunning is that she is the only black girl to graduate from her department and that she was 1 of 6 black students to graduate from the college of Engineering. That must have been super impressive. Getting into Cornell University is almost an Herculean feat on its own but making it that far is even more impressive.

Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by davidif: 3:24am On Oct 27, 2016
Emeskhalifa:
Congrat to her buh leh me ask, issit tht there are no other black females in d sch ni abi dem weed dem comot undecided

Bros, getting into that school is very difficult man. Its a challenge on its own.
Re: Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016 by mendelian(m): 7:09am On Oct 27, 2016
blessedvisky:
Yorubas right now
she's a Benin girl not yoruba.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nobel Laureate Joins Covenant University Faculty / 6 Types Of Students You Will meet In A University Matriculation Ceremony / DELSU Cut-Off Mark For All Courses 2017/2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.