Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,375 members, 7,929,180 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 10:27 AM

Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype (764 Views)

Apple Iphone 6 Prototype Goes On Sale On Ebay, Exceeds $60,000 / Nokia Android Prototype Reportedly Is Still Into Production / Google’s Nexus 4 Prototype Lost And Found In A Bar [PIC] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by N9528GB: 10:08am On Sep 27, 2009
Here is the story below grin

This is probably the first suicide record of a person who killed himself over missing 4G iPhone prototype. The 25-year-old Chinese engineer, Sun Danyong, who worked for Foxconn, jumped from a 12-story building last week. A Chinese newspaper reported that his property had been seized and that he was held in solitary confinement, where he faced "unbearable interrogation techniques" for having lost one of 16 "4G" prototypes. Foxcon apologized, but questioned reports that police beat Sun.

Apple issued a statement this afternoon in response to a report by CNET. A spokeswoman said the Silicon Valley firm is "saddened by the tragic loss of this young employee and we are awaiting results of the investigations into his death. We require our suppliers to treat all workers with dignity and respect."

VentureBeat, AppleInsider and The Register are among the tech sites covering this story.

AppleInsider notes that it's the second piece of bad news for the company recently. Last week an investigation found that 45 of the 83 factories that built iPhones and iPods in 2008 weren't paying valid overtime rates, and that 23 weren't even paying some of their workers China's minimum wage.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/BUSINESS/07/22/china.apple.iphone.suicide/index.html

What a Pity just for a phone the took his life embarassed

Re: Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by lawisong(m): 1:16pm On Sep 27, 2009
In Nigeria a ship containing crude was missing and nobody killed himself, public funds allocated for contracts get missing by the day and nobody commits suicide, GCE and JAMB results dey miss every year yet no report of suicide, as if that's not enough, our wives, children, parents and husbands miss every now and then in the name of kidnapping and nobody kills himself, due to bad government, FOOD is missing on the tables of countless number of nigerians yet we are still shoffering and shmiling. Naim this OKPE, MUMU chinese man get the foolish guts to take his own like because of a missing iphone. The guy is a FOOL! I believe say angel Gabriel don prepare koboko keep for am so that him go flog that him white chinese yansh well well. FOOLISH IDIOT!
Re: Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by Dclique(m): 2:15pm On Sep 27, 2009
Rotflmao,
Guy you harsh o. But na truth you talk.
Re: Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by Infoseye(m): 2:35pm On Sep 27, 2009
Well I have seen pple doing crazy and dangerous things but taking his life man that was tooo much. I guess there is more to it than that.
Re: Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by MrCrackles(m): 2:40pm On Sep 27, 2009
Tragic. . . . sad
Re: Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by donjon: 2:46pm On Sep 27, 2009
@ LAWISONG
i assume u skipped d part of "unbearable interogation techniques" which in laymans terms means torture!
police in communist states do more than lighting ur privates with candles! i cant start to imagine d hell he went through.
Re: Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by samtek(m): 7:57pm On Sep 27, 2009
I don't tink the guy killed himself because d dem iphone is missin. 2 tins could hv happened
1. Either d torture was really unbearable or
2. It was a staged suicide (murder)
if he was kept in confinement how then did he jump out of a 12 storey buildin
Re: Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by Infoseye(m): 8:25pm On Sep 27, 2009
honsule:

just passing

What will happen if you find out your N95 is missing Honsule? Would you jump out from your room window? grin grin grin grin
Re: Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by honsule(m): 8:53pm On Sep 27, 2009
MrCrackles:

Offtopic. . . . tongue

let me delete it then.abi?
Re: Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by MrCrackles(m): 8:54pm On Sep 27, 2009
honsule:

let me delete it then.abi?
Please do. . . wink
Re: Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by Dclique(m): 11:47pm On Sep 27, 2009
If na ma mistake, , honsule go leave am o, hehehe

@topic, Yea, I think its because of the interrogation(s) and torture.

Because it makes no sense commiting suicide over a stupid phone that can be REPLACED.
Re: Factory Worker Commits Suicide Over Missing Iphone Prototype by samtek(m): 6:48am On Sep 28, 2009
It Must have been that or the interrogating official could also have staged the murder 2 look like a suicide. Maybe during interrogation caused servere wound or damage that wont be taken likely if discussed in front of a judge

(1) (Reply)

Zain: Only / Nimbuzz Editable? / Cheap Phone Calling - 2 Naira /min

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.