Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,678 members, 7,921,452 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 05:23 AM

Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. (2512 Views)

Nigerian Man In Ghana Poses With Bundles Of Money: My First Time Of Seeing Money / Track And Trace Option Of Nipost Not Working, Anyone Also Experiencing This? / GTB 737 Token Not Working (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Nobody: 12:17pm On Aug 17, 2016
Good day Everyone,

Please I am in quite a fix right now and for now I don't know if there is any solution to this predicament, has Nigeria become so bad?
For the past one month our naira mastercards have now been working abroad even in Ghana. I thought it was a joke until I saw things for myself first hand yesterday.
I placed a call to the GTB Customer care lines and Zenith Bank customer care lines provided at the back of the atm cards to confirm my worst fears and I was told that for now Naira denominated mastercards can't work abroad and they don't know when the issue would be resolved. For now people have cash and they can't withdraw and some are stranded.
So our hard earned money will just be collecting cool Ac at the bank. Right now I am keeping my cool and hopeful that it will be resolved soon because I don't want to start laying all the blame on Buhari, clueless finance minister Kemi Adeosun or CBN.
Has any nairalander experienced this at all and what was the way forward?
please do kindly move this to the front page.
CC: Lalasticlala, puskin , FOD , dominique , naijacutee
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by donifez(m): 1:51pm On Aug 17, 2016
dumo1:
Good day Everyone,

Please I am in quite a fix right now and for now I don't know if there is any solution to this predicament, has Nigeria become so bad?
For the past one month our naira mastercards have now been working abroad even in Ghana. I thought it was a joke until I saw things for myself first hand yesterday.
I placed a call to the GTB Customer care lines and Zenith Bank customer care lines provided at the back of the atm cards to confirm my worst fears and I was told that for now Naira denominated mastercards can't work abroad and they don't know when the issue would be resolved. For now people have cash and they can't withdraw and some are stranded.
So our hard earned money will just be collecting cool Ac at the bank. Right now I am keeping my cool and hopeful that it will be resolved soon because I don't want to start laying all the blame on Buhari, clueless finance minister Kemi Adeosun or CBN.
Has any nairalander experienced this at all and what was the way forward?

CC: dominique , naijacutee, FOD , puskin
I am using Naira MasterCard (Ecobank) in Ghana and I am withdrawing.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 17, 2016
donifez:

I found out that only eco bank is withdrawing but for other banks it's a no no. even the customer care representatives have no clue about what's going on.
Thanks for the update.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Nobody: 7:33pm On Sep 28, 2016
donifez:
please how much are you being charged for making withdrawals?
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by donifez(m): 7:46pm On Sep 28, 2016
dumo1:

please how much are you being charged for making withdrawals?

Charges varies based on the exchange rate. My last withdrawal of 16000 naira was 150 cedis.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 02, 2016
donifez:

Charges varies based on the exchange rate. My last withdrawal of 16000 naira was 150 cedis.
My withdrawal of 10,000 naira this week was outrageous. I saw a balance of 130 cedis on the atm machine but I was only able to withdraw 60 cedis. the bank charges are ridiculous. I dunno the fraud going on at Ecobank.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by donifez(m): 2:58pm On Oct 02, 2016
dumo1:

My withdrawal of 10,000 naira this week was outrageous. I saw a balance of 130 cedis on the atm machine but I was only able to withdraw 60 cedis. the bank charges are ridiculous. I dunno the fraud going on at Ecobank.

22000 Naira gave me 180 cedis on Friday. The more the Naira sink against dollar, it affects other currencies too. Plus the corruption in our financial sector, we are the one suffering.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Pavore9: 3:04pm On Oct 02, 2016
donifez:

22000 Naira gave me 180 cedis on Friday. The more the Naira sink against dollar, it affects other currencies too. Plus the corruption in our financial sector, we are the one suffering.

I stopped using my Nigerian cards way back in June as it is High blood Pressure inducing!
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by donifez(m): 3:08pm On Oct 02, 2016
Pavore9:

I stopped using my Nigerian cards way back in June as it is High blood Pressure inducing!
So how do you receive and withdraw funds?
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 02, 2016
donifez:

Did you by any chance withdraw on an ecobank atm in Accra?
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Pavore9: 3:16pm On Oct 02, 2016
donifez:

So how do you receive and withdraw funds?

I get my money from Nigeria in form of goods and l resell them. Before (as at mid 2015) if l have N400K in my Nigerian account when l check my balance at an ATM in Nairobi, l see 205,000ksh but with the devaluation now l see only 90,000ksh!
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by donifez(m): 3:38pm On Oct 02, 2016
dumo1:

Did you by any chance withdraw on an ecobank atm in Accra?
Yes.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by donifez(m): 3:41pm On Oct 02, 2016
Pavore9:

I get my money from Nigeria in form of goods and l resell them. Before (as at mid 2005) if l have N400K in my Nigerian account when l check my balance at an ATM in Nairobi, l see 205,000ksh but with the devaluation now l see only 90,000ksh!
That is really bad, same here in Ghana. I like the tactics you used, best way to be safe.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Pavore9: 3:50pm On Oct 02, 2016
donifez:

That is really bad, same here in Ghana. I like the tactics you used, best way to be safe.

I meant 2015 not 2005. That is the best way.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 02, 2016
donifez:

Yes.
Lucky you. we have only GCB & BARCLAY'S atm here on campus in capecoast except i go all the way to Takoradi to withdraw with eco bank.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 02, 2016
Pavore9:

I get my money from Nigeria in form of goods and l resell them. Before (as at mid 2005) if l have N400K in my Nigerian account when l check my balance at an ATM in Nairobi, l see 205,000ksh but with the devaluation now l see only 90,000ksh!
This is some serious devaluation. which way naija?
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Pavore9: 4:46pm On Oct 02, 2016
dumo1:

This is some serious devaluation. which way naija?

Serious devaluation, that is why Kenyan immigration "don tear eyes" for Nigerians coming over as "tourists" as some are deported on arrival. angry
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 02, 2016
Pavore9:

Serious devaluation, that is why Kenyan immigration "don tear eyes" for Nigerians coming over as "tourists" as some are deported on arrival. angry
For what na? even small Kenya too? how were you able to get permanent residency?
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Pavore9: 5:05pm On Oct 02, 2016
dumo1:

For what na? even small Kenya too? how were you able to get permanent residency?

"Small Kenya" but their economy is more stable with easier access to utilities. I am on work permit in the coming years one will be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

3 Likes

Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by hahn(m): 5:07pm On Oct 02, 2016
Pavore9:

"Small Kenya" but their economy is more stable with easier access to utilities. I am on work permit in the coming years one will be eligible to apply for permanent residency.

Lol. Nigerians love underestimating countries they have never been to.

Even Benin rep is better in terms of infrastructure and a stable economy

1 Like

Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Nobody: 5:09pm On Oct 02, 2016
Pavore9:

OK that's cool. how many years does it take before one can get permanent residency?
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 02, 2016
hahn:

Lol. Nigerians love underestimating countries they have never been to.

Even Benin rep is better in terms of infrastructure and a stable economy
I agree with you whole heartedly. they have very smooth roads and nice infrastructure. But they are a very small country compared to Nigeria.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Pavore9: 5:11pm On Oct 02, 2016
dumo1:

OK that's cool. how many years does it take before one can get permanent residency?

Applicants must have held work permits for at least 7 years!
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by donifez(m): 5:13pm On Oct 02, 2016
dumo1:

Lucky you. we have only GCB & BARCLAY'S atm here on campus in capecoast except i go all the way to Takoradi to withdraw with eco bank.
When I was using GCB they do charge me same rate as Ecobank, most times I use society general ATM, that way I pull out my cash to the last 5 cedi. Their ATM do dispense 5 cedis.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by hahn(m): 6:25pm On Oct 02, 2016
dumo1:

I agree with you whole heartedly. they have very smooth roads and nice infrastructure. But they are a very small country compared to Nigeria.

True.

And Nigeria is a very small country compared to the US
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Bifwoli: 8:27pm On Oct 02, 2016
"Small Kenya"..see this is what makes some Nigerians unpopular.Its never advisable to belittle others or treat folks in a patronizing manner.With all their wealth and outsized power +influence you'll never hear Bill Gates ,Richard Branson or Mark Zuckerberg belittle others,being patronizing or condescending to others.

God will not give you more power if you use what you already have recklessly.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by Bifwoli: 8:33pm On Oct 02, 2016
dumo1:

Actually the above comment is meant for you ,take heed and be wiser.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by AdaAnambra: 4:32pm On Oct 05, 2016
donifez:

So you guys dont know that the higher dollar rise, the higher the rate for other currencies. all other conversion is based on the dollar rate.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by donifez(m): 6:36pm On Oct 05, 2016
AdaAnambra:
So you guys dont know that the higher dollar rise, the higher the rate for other currencies. all other conversion is based on the dollar rate.
That is what I explained in my quote. I noticed the trend.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by celestialAgent(m): 1:28pm On Oct 17, 2016
AdaAnambra:
leave em nigga who taught the mess would affect only those who spend directly in Dollar!

even within Nigeria it affects. Spaghetti is now #200. in my area, I wonder if they import that too!

donifez, I see you. How is Accra grin
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by donifez(m): 1:53pm On Oct 17, 2016
celestialAgent:
leave em nigga who taught the mess would affect only those who spend directly in Dollar!

even within Nigeria it affects. Spaghetti is now #200. in my area, I wonder if they import that too!

donifez, I see you. How is Accra grin
Celestial agent I sight you. Accra is tough now coupled with non functioning ATM card. mehn just call it a living hell. Will soon enter Naija though, it is just a matter of weeks.
Re: Nairamastercards Not Working Abroad Even In Ghana. by celestialAgent(m): 2:56pm On Oct 17, 2016
donifez:

Celestial agent I sight you. Accra is tough now coupled with non functioning ATM card. mehn just call it a living hell. Will soon enter Naija though, it is just a matter of weeks.
This change is indeed one to remember! Thank God I'm not there presently!

God help Naija

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How MTN Now Deduct People's Airtime Without Sending Any Message / See Pictures Of Different Types Of Bush Meats Killed For Sale In Warri / Get Airtel Data Bundles @ Hot Rates With Bonus Data. MTN Inclusive.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.