Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,616 members, 7,975,390 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 02:57 AM

News Updates, August 18 - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / News Updates, August 18 (439 Views)

News Updates, August 17 / News Updates, August 5 / News Updates, August 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

News Updates, August 18 by Newsbreakers: 6:50pm On Aug 18, 2016
Arsenal mocked on Twitter after player of the year Riyad Mahrez signs new deal with Leicester city

Arsenal Football club have been panned mercilessly on Twitter after Leicester City’s star player Riyad Mahrez signed a new four year deal with Leicester City.

Rumours were rife that Arsenal was planning to sign Mahrez in a £30m deal giving Arsenal fans hope seeing that they haven’t made any reasonable transfer this summer, only for the Algerian, who is also the PFA player of the year to sign a new deal with the premier league champions- Leicester city last night. Arsenal and other football fans took to twitter to mock the club.

Why I named my dog after Buhari – Chinakwe

Detained trader, Joe Fortemose ‎Chinakwe has explained why he named his pet dog ‘Buhari’.

He explained that he had been an ardent supporter of the President and saw nothing wrong with his action.

The 30-year-old trader has since been released after three days in the police cell following the intervention of both the Serkin Hausa and President-General of non-indigenes in the state.

The complaint has also withdrawn the case against the accused after both parties signed undertaking not to cause any breach of peace again.

Speaking to Vanguard after this release, the trader, a father of two from the Niger Delta, who trades on second hand clothing lamented that he was made to suffer for no just cause.

Chinakwe said “It is annoying because the complainant is from Niger Republic and I am sure he is one of those illegal aliens in this country. He connived with one Police Sergeant from the Northern part of Nigeria called Musa, who works at Sango Police division to humiliate me. Worse still, the Divisional Police Officer there, did not help matters as he refused to entertain any plea from me after I was arrested that Saturday night. He simply ordered his men to throw me into the cell.”

On why he named his pet dog Buhari, he said “I did not commit any offence. I named my beloved pet dog Buhari, who is my hero. My admiration for Buhari started far back when he was a military Head of State.

“It continued till date that he is a civilian President. After reading his dogged fight against corruption, which is like a canker worm eating into the very existence of this country, I solely decided to rename my beloved dog which I called Buhari, after him. I did not know that I was committing an offence for admiring Buhari.

“I was intimidated and thrown inside the cell with hardened criminals for about three days. While I was there, the complainant from Niger Republic and Sergeant Musa from the North kept on taunting me saying people from my part of the country are trouble makers and that after detaining me, they will throw me into prison where I will die unsung.

”Even when my wife came with our baby on her back, they stopped her from giving me food. One of my friends that came to see me was also maltreated. “While taking me to Eleweran the next day, they handcuffed and chained me together with that my friend.

“Fortunately, when we got to police headquarters, both the Commissioner of Police and other officers were angry with their colleagues at Sango-Ota.

”They were wondering loudly why I was brought to the headquarters over such a minor case.

“It’s very unfortunate that I have to be so humiliated in my own country because of the antics of a foreigner in connivance with my brother from the North.”

[Photos] 31 year old Chinese man can’t stop drinking detergent liquid

31 year old Chinese man, Zhang Yue has been stuck with a bizarre addiction, he can’t stop drinking liquid detergent. Originally from southwest China’s Chongqing city, Zhang said his addiction started in 2012. He said what initially began with a few sips later turned into an uncontrollable appetite for anything from dishwashing liquids to shampoos.

Zhang’s obsession with consuming detergents has gained him an unusual fame but that has come with a cost. His habit, he said, has turned away women, making his love life unstable.

Amazingly, medical checks on him has shown that he is healthy despite all the detergents he has consumed. Doctors say he could have a condition called pica, an eating disorder that is characterized by the desire to eat items with little or no nutritional value, including stones, sand, paint, and in this case, detergent.

However, the disorder is rarely seen in adult men, and mostly affects children and pregnant women. Although hormonal changes and deficiencies are commonly attributed to explain the cravings, there has been no conclusive evidence to prove this.

Assassins kill couple, abduct three children

There was pandemonium in Okwelle community, in the Onuimo Local Government Area of Imo State after a couple was murdered by some suspected assassins.

It was learnt that the assailants had stormed the couple’s house on Saturday evening wielding cutlasses and other weapons.

They were said to have taken turns to rape the woman in the presence of her husband and their children, after which the couple were hacked to death.

It was learnt that the assailants subsequently fled with the deceased’s three children.

The Imo State Police Command, which confirmed the incident, said the cause of the attack had yet to be ascertained, He added that some arrests had been made in connection with the killings.

However, a resident of the community, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the husband had a serious disagreement with a woman lately.

He said, “I got to know about the incident from a friend, who is a neighbour of the couple. I learnt the husband had a quarrel with a woman who followed the assassins to deal with the family. His wife was raped and given matchete cut and the killers went with their three children. The woman has been arrested.”

The Imo State Police Public Relations, DSP Andrew Enwerrem, said the police were making efforts to arrest the killers and to rescue the abducted children safely.

He said, “The couple were murdered and their three children were taken away and the police have made arrests of about three suspects, who are undergoing investigation. The children have not been recovered. I don’t have the names of the couple with me now.”

Dead child belongs to my mentally ill daughter – Woman explains

The Lagos State Police Command has released an old woman, Kuburat Ayinde, who was caught with a dead baby.

Ayinde, suspected to be a ritualist was on Monday apprehended by an angry mob with a dead baby alleged to have been kidnapped in Oshodi area of the state.

The aggrieved mob had tortured the old woman and made her to walk around with the dead baby strapped to her back.

Ayinde, who was reported to have confessed to kidnapping the baby alive, however, did not disclose how the baby died.

But confessing to the police, after she was rescued, the old woman said the dead baby was her grandchild whom she was rushing to the hospital to get medical care.

Reacting to the development, the Commands spokesperson, Dolapo Badmos, said the police detained the old woman, after disclosing that the deceased baby belonged to her daughter who is mentally ill.

Explaining further, Badmos said Ayinde’s claims were later verified by the said daughter and other family members who showed up at the station.

Wife of Babcock University staff commits suicide in Ogun

One Mrs. Omolola Atejioye, 35, Tuesday evening committed suicide inside her apartment located along Ago-Iwoye road, Ilishan-Remo, in Ikenne Local Government Area of the State.

Ogun acting Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, said her remains has been deposited at Babcock University morgue, where her husband works.

He said, “A member of staff of the Babcock University reported to our men in Ilisan-Remo, that he returned from work around 5.30pm, and met the body of his wife dangling from the ceiling of their apartment, after the door was forced open.

“The policemen later brought the body down and it had been deposited in the mortuary of the Babcock University in the same town. The deceased did not leave any suicide note.

“A post mortem would be carried out on the corpse.”

1 Share

(1) (Reply)

$1 Hosting For Running Online Blog And Writing Services / Nigeria Sports Ministry As A Whole Is Corrupt!!! / Watch Video Of Sean Tizzle Walks Out Of Live Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.