Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,726 members, 7,948,681 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 08:07 AM

The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived (785 Views)

Joe Igbokwe Answers Nnamdi Kanu Call For A Debate with intellectuals On Biafra. / Nnamdi Kanu Destroys Ohaneze & Calls For Live Debate With Nigeria Intellectuals / The Main Reason Nigerians Elect Dumb Politicians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 21, 2016
As the saying goes, The most effective way for a man with a shallow and narrow mind to conceal his narrow mindedness is to be seen not to act . It shouldn't come as a surprise that,people who keep to themselves and who hardly share an opinion are often times respected.
I was once a supporter of buhari,but now I can see through the smokescreen. Prior to the elections,even during campaigns ,candidate buhari hardly spoke,even when he did,he was reading off a paper,and it was all about fighting corruption. I was endeared to this General because he never gave me an opportunity to assess his intellectual capacity,reason being he hardly spoke,he always kept to himself and always spoke about how the country is being looted,which in every sense is true!
The 1st scenario that provided the opportunity to assess buhari was the appointment of ministers
Nigerians can attest to the suspense that engulfed the nation as a result of buhari's delay in selecting his ministers. Buhari managed to draw the attention of every nigerian even the intellectuals to the drama of his delay in appointing ministers. Everyone believed change has indeed come,we all believed buhari was taking his time to select the best nigerians hiding under the sun,and as such,he should be commended for taking his time in scrutinising various persons. On 29th September 2015,the 1st batch of ministerial appointments consisting of 21 names was submitted to the national assembly. Never in the history of this country has the activity of ministerial appointment generated such a drama. On 12 October 2015,2nd list was submitted to the senate.
[b]came the time for the list to be made public,we saw names like Rotimi Amaechi,Audu Ogbeh,Chris Ngige,Ibrahim Ismail Jubrin,Kayode Fayemi. I had to avoid other names so as not to feed into the narrative of the tribal bigots. These names are sure not the technocrats Nigerians were hoping for.
The case of President Buhari is a classic example on how a narrow minded individual can manage to convince the majority and even the intellectuals that he's the most gifted or among the most gifted humans available,simply by not taking any action,that way he creates a mystery around himself just by concealing his thoughts, this automatically fills the minds of his audience with suspense. We all know the effects of suspense. But the thing is,the moment such an individual is allowed to make a decision,he's easily seen for who he truly is, a man with a shallow mind. We can see Buhari for who he truly is through the decision he makes everyday or simply put, his policy somersaults as seen in his :ministerial appointments,inconsistent foreign exchange policies, mediocre decision not to investigate the budget padding scam because his guys are involved,and a few others.
If there is one thing I have come to understand about Buhari,its the fact that he wants this country to improve,but truth is,he's not the one to bring the ground breaking improvements or a positive change needed. Buhari lacks the elements and intellectual capacity to effect a long lasting positive change on this country even if he wishes to,but he has his limits.
As the saying goes,you can't give what you don't have. A man lacking in wisdom can only offer the wisdom of another wise man,will buhari take to the advice of other wise men?[/b]
Cc:
Tonyebarcanista
LordAdam
Freeze001
Major466
Ilegend
Legitbaba
Lordnuicvuitton
Feraz
Sarutobie
Iamblisz
Izonpikin
Techrev

3 Likes

Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by thedarkside: 1:02pm On Aug 21, 2016
say your point in short sentence...i dont have time for another ipobian-epistle....
Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by DropShot: 1:04pm On Aug 21, 2016
[s]
illuminated93:
As the saying goes, The most effective way for a man with a shallow and narrow mind to conceal his narrow mindedness is to be seen not to act . It shouldn't come as a surprise that,people who keep to themselves and who hardly share an opinion are often times respected.
I was once a supporter of buhari,but now I can see through the smokescreen. Prior to the elections,even during campaigns ,candidate buhari hardly spoke,even when he did,he was reading off a paper,and it was all about fighting corruption. I was endeared to this General because he never gave me an opportunity to assess his intellectual capacity,reason being he hardly spoke,he always kept to himself and always spoke about how the country is being looted,which in every sense is true!
The 1st scenario that provided the opportunity to assess buhari was the appointment of ministers
Nigerians can attest to the suspense that engulfed the nation as a result of buhari's delay in selecting his ministers. Buhari managed to draw the attention of every nigerian even the intellectuals to the drama of his delay in appointing ministers. Everyone believed change has indeed come,we all believed buhari was taking his time to select the best nigerians hiding under the sun,and as such,he should be commended for taking his time in scrutinizing various persons. On 29th September 2015,the 1st batch of ministerial appointments consisting of 21 names was submitted to the national assembly. Never in the history of this country has the activity of ministerial appointment generated such a drama. On 12 October 2015,2nd list was submitted to the senate.
[b]came the time for the list to be made public,we saw names like Rotimi Amaechi,Audu Ogbeh,Chris Ngige,Ibrahim Ismail Jubrin,Kayode Fayemi. I had to avoid other names so as not to feed into the narrative of the tribal bigots. These names are sure not the technocrats Nigerians were hoping for.
The case of President Buhari is a classic example on how a narrow minded individual can manage to convince the majority and even the intellectuals that he's the most gifted or among the most gifted humans available,simply by not taking any action,that way he creates a mystery around himself just by concealing his thoughts, this automatically fills the minds of his audience with suspense. We all know the effects of suspense. But the thing is,the moment such an individual is allowed to make a decision,he's easily seen for what he truly is, a man with a shallow mind. We can see Buhari for who he truly is through the decision he makes everyday or simply put, his policy somersaults as seen in his :ministerial appointments,inconsistent foreign exchange policies, mediocre decision not to investigate the budget padding scam because his guys are involved,and a few others.
If there is one thing I have come to understand about Buhari,its the fact that he wants this country to improve,but truth is,he's not the one to bring the ground breaking improvements or a positive change needed. Buhari lacks the elements and intellectual capacity to effect a long lasting positive change on this country even if he wishes to,but he has his limits.
As the saying goes,you can't give what you don't have. A man lacking in wisdom can only offer the wisdom of another wise man,will buhari take to the advice of other wise men?[/b]
[/s]
Trashy trash.
Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by ConqueredWest: 1:05pm On Aug 21, 2016
thedarkside:

say your point in short sentence...i dont have time for another ipobian-epistle....

Afonjas doing what they know best. grin

3 Likes

Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 21, 2016
This thread is for the people capable of critical reasoning,sorry not for shallow minds.
thedarkside:

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by 4Play(m): 1:33pm On Aug 21, 2016
Buhari's appeal was based on 2 key factors - GEJ's utter incompetence and motivated reasoning.

GEJ's incompetence is well documented. If you live in a country where your leaders are grotesquely inept, you are tempted to try something different without scrutinising the alternatives. In an intellectually incurious country where 85% of citizens are under the age of 35, even the more inept leaders from the distant past like Buhari suddenly start looking appealling. In 30 years time, GEJ will be viewed as a great leader by comparison to whoever is in power at that time (much to the consternation of our generation who will be the elderly population by then).

As for motivated reasoning, what I mean by this is the way ethnic/religous loyalties mould or shape how we reason. What Buhari offered was a way for two political blocs - North East/West and South West political elites - to regain power at the federal level. If GEJ was remotely competent, most people from both regions won't mind, but faced with GEJ's utter buffoonery, the tendency is to revert back to habituated modes of thinking (these people from the other tribes/regions are no good, my tribes/region people will definitely be better). By the same token, most persons who claim that GEJ is a hero or was a great president are either cognitively impaired or motivated by religion/ethnicity.

I think these two factors are interlinked - due to GEJ's incompetence, people rationalised to themselves that Buhari was a better option (fuelled by a mixture of desperation and ethnic/regional calculations). What would happen is that in the long run, support for Buhari would erode and the core support, like GEJ's fan boys, would be made up of ethno-religious supporters (the type that scream IPOB at any critic of Buhari).

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by mastermaestro(m): 1:46pm On Aug 21, 2016
I was reluctant to read your opinion at first, but I chose not to behave like most folks who when they see one point that questions their perception, they write off every other point.

Particularly, I like the l a st part of your short piece where you acknowledge Buhari's zeal for a better Nigeria. I do not doubt this as well. Zeal without requisite knowledge and wisdom leads nowhere but only creates more problems. This is Buhari's case! Buhari would do excellently if he chose Gej's crop of ministers. He would easily be able to put them in check while getting the best out of them. Sadly he has lost that opportunity by filling his cabinet with incompetent noise-making politicians.

Buhari is an unskilled ill-equipped soldier who goes to war with zeal as his only armour. undecided

6 Likes

Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by Nobody: 1:55pm On Aug 21, 2016
I still think Gej isn't the kind of a leader who can generate an enduring positive change on the foundations of this country. But comparing him to Buhari,saying buhari is better than him is a big joke.
Talking about the points you laid out,you are not far from the truth,Gej was inept even if propaganda maximised his failures, but he failed anyways,and the tribal sentiments does exist too. But, I still feel the ultimate source or reason for the messianic status granted buhari is seen in the write up ,his ability to conceal his shallow mindedness,if buhari had been made to answer questions on his roadmaps in getting to this change,on how he intends to generate funds in paying us 5k,on how he intends to make 1nara=1 dollar ,i think he would have stuttered,and that guile and mystery surrounding him would have been kept at bay. Any surprise he chose not to debate? I think the Apc guys knew what was coming.
4Play:
Buhari's appeal was based on 2 key factors - GEJ's utter incompetence and motivated reasoning.

GEJ's incompetence is well documented. If you live in a country where your leaders are grotesquely inept, you are tempted to try something different without scrutinising the alternatives. In an intellectually incurious country where 85% of citizens are under the age of 35, even the more inept leaders from the distant past like Buhari suddenly start looking appealling. In 30 years time, GEJ will be viewed as a great leader by comparison to whoever is in power at that time (much to the consternation of our generation who will be the elderly population by then).

As for motivated reasoning, what I mean by this is the way ethnic/religous loyalties mould or shape how we reason. What Buhari offered was a way for two political blocs - North East/West and South West political elites - to regain power at the federal level. If GEJ was remotely competent, most people from both regions won't mind, but faced with GEJ's utter buffoonery, the tendency is to revert back to habituated modes of thinking (these people from the other tribes/regions are no good, my tribes/region people will definitely be better). By the same token, most persons who claim that GEJ is a hero or was a great president are either cognitively impaired or motivated by religion/ethnicity.

I think these two factors are interlinked - due to GEJ's incompetence, people rationalised to themselves that Buhari was a better option (fuelled by a mixture of desperation and ethnic/regional calculations). What would happen is that in the long run, support for Buhari would erode and the core support, like GEJ's fan boys, would be made up of ethno-religious supporters (the type that scream IPOB at any critic of Buhari).

5 Likes

Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 21, 2016
Do you think he's capacitated to effect the long lasting positive change this country needs?
mastermaestro:
I was reluctant to read your opinion at first, but I chose not to behave like most folks who when they see one point that questions their perception, they write off every other point.

Particularly, I like the l a st part of your short piece where you acknowledge Buhari's zeal for a better Nigeria. I do not doubt this as well. Zeal without requisite knowledge and wisdom leads nowhere but only creates more problems. This is Buhari's case! Buhari would do excellently if he chose Gej's crop of ministers. He would easily be able to put them in check while getting the best out of them. Sadly he has lost that opportunity by filling his cabinet with incompetent noise-making politicians.

Buhari is an unskilled ill-equipped soldier who goes to war with zeal as his only armour. undecided
Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by mastermaestro(m): 2:12pm On Aug 21, 2016
illuminated93:
Do you think he's capacitated to effect the long lasting positive change this country needs?

He admitted sometime ago that he couldn't do much as expected. He blamed it on age, which I and most people greatly doubt is an obstacle. In '84 he wasn't old neither was Nigeria heavenly.

As for my little expectation, his greatest achievements would be to scout for a very capable successor and ensure an improved electoral process. However I also doubt his ability or willingness to bequeath us with either of these two. The evidences abound already.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by Nobody: 2:25pm On Aug 21, 2016
So the future is bleak you think?
mastermaestro:

He admitted sometime ago that he couldn't do much as expected. He blamed it on age, which I and most people greatly doubt is an obstacle. In '84 he wasn't old neither was Nigeria heavenly.

As for my little expectation, his greatest achievements would be to scout for a very capable successor and ensure an improved electoral process. However I also doubt his ability or willingness to bequeath us with either of these two. The evidences abound already.
Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by mastermaestro(m): 2:32pm On Aug 21, 2016
illuminated93:
So the future is bleak you think?

It's bright for me (by faith grin ). But it doesn't look bright for many out there. Nigeria of today is full of lamentations, despair and despondency. Is there any hope? Buhari, not a messiah as marketed.

1 Like

Re: The Reason Nigerians And Even Intellectuals Were Deceived by Legitbaba(m): 1:15pm On Aug 23, 2016
Nigeria is a country where if u are against A, u are automatically referred to as a B supporter...one thing this APC and Buhari guys don't seem to understand or agree with is the backwardness and insincerity of Buhari....

It's a change era, I don't have much to say...
Sai Buhari

(1) (Reply)

PDP Gubernatorial Candidate Jegede Visits Deji Of Akure / . / Too Much Hunger In The Country, See Your Region.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.