Stats: 3,168,825 members, 7,872,775 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:36 PM

Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com (2730 Views)

Buhari Moves To Sack SGF Babachir Lawal, Gets Likely Replacements - Naij.com / Victor Olabimtan Caught With 15 Ghana-must-go Bags In Ondo - Naij.com / Tinubu Withdraws Financial Support For APC - Naij.com (2) (3) (4)

Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:51am On Aug 22, 2016
Since President Muhammadu Buhari took over power in 2015, Nigeria has seen a resurgence of Niger Delta militancy and this has led series of bombings of oil and gas pipelines in the region. Nigeria had assumed that with the granting of amnesty to the Movement fir the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, militancy had been grounded but Buhari’s emergence as president has seen a deadlier resurgence.

Without mincing words, it is fair to conclude that the renewed agitation and vandalism is targeted at President Buhari’s administration. The most notorious, Niger Delta Avengers has carried out systematic destruction of pipelines that indicates a well-coordinated, heavily-equipped and hugely financed group. Following the trail of the Avengers are other mushroom groups that have also issued threats and claimed responsibility for pipeline bombings too. Some of them include: Reformed Niger Delta Avengers, Niger Delta Greenland Justice Mandate, Adaka Boro Avengers, Joint Niger Delta Liberation Force, Red Egbesu Water Lions, Niger Delta Vigilante and Oyobio-Oyobio.

It is significant to know that their demands to President Buhari are different although a call for the development of the Niger Delta region seems to be a collective demand of the groups. With each militant group having its own self-styled General issuing threats and trying to outdo the other in demand and vandalism, President Buhari has a lot of requests to attend to. However, some of the demands from the militants my not be provided by the president.

Independence

The Adaka Boro Avengers had earlier threatened that it would officially declare a Niger Delta Republic on August 1 but a day before it; the group cancelled its planned declaration and in its statement credited former president, Goodluck Jonathan for appealing to them not to go ahead with the secession. While this may be true to some extent, the move by the Nigerian military may be another factor. This is because heavy military presence was deployed to Bayelsa with the intention to repel any move that might be considered treasonable. While it may easy to blow up a pipeline in the dead of the night considering that most of these region had long networks of pipelines, it will be difficult to declare an independent republic as this will require physical presence and a need to carry-out administrative duties.

President Buhari might be struggling to deal with vandalism of oil and gas pipelines but a declaration of an independent state would pit the secessionists against the army and the president would not hesitate to exercise the superior weaponry in quelling what may be considered an insult. As he has reiterated, the unity of Nigeria is non-negotiable .

Financial amnesty

Granting MEND amnesty during the administration of the late president, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and facilitated by then vice president, Jonathan has been a solution that can best be described as a future disaster. In retrospect, Nigeria must regret signing off millions of naira to able-bodied but jobless youths who have been exposed to free lavish lifestyles without doing an honest day’s work.

After militants laid down their arms during Yar’Adua’s administration, they did so because the government promised to pump their bank account with funds without contributing anything in return. While this was a way to stop the incessant attack on oil workers and bombing of pipelines, it created a bigger financial problem that President Buhari is likely not to repeat.

The president has insisted that he is ready to explore various ways of ending the problem in the Niger Delta but the militants waiting for financial amnesty should think twice as Buhari may not thread this path of wasting fund on jobless youths as this continues to put the country at their mercy.

Resource control

Niger Delta militants have called for a restructuring of the control of oil as the current 13 per cent the region was receiving from the federal government was not acceptable. Some militant groups have demanded that that since oil is generated from the region, it should also control it the same way other regions control their agriculture and other resources.

While this is an issue that calls for debate, it is clear that it will take a long time before this will even be considered by President Muhammadu Buhari. First, oil being the main source of Nigeria’s export cannot be quickly and easily relinquished to the region as this will create a vacuum in Nigeria’s financial terrain.

Professor Yemi Osinbajo, the vice president has reiterated that if corruption remains in Nigeria’s system, the same problems will still persists even if each region controls it natural resource. Perhaps if oil is discovered in the north, each region will be allowed to control it. Until then, militants should not expect Buhari to relinquish federal government’s control of oil to the Niger Delta.

Headquarters of oil companies

Oyobio-Oyobio, a militants group recently gave a seven-day ultimatum to oil companies to move their headquaters to the Niger Delta region. They made this demand because they felt the people from the region have a lot to benefit if executive workers of oil companies operate from the Niger Delta.

First, the decision to set-up or operate a company from a particular operation is not within President Buhari’s terrain. Secondly, if he wants these companies to move from Lagos and Abuja to the Niger Delta region, there must security guarantee but unfortunately, the region has had a history of kidnapping for ransom. While the establishment of companies would greatly help to develop the Niger Delta region, the demand is not one Buhari is likely to fulfil soon.

Resignation

President Buhari has been blamed for what many considered his lopsided appointment of key persons in his cabinet and some militants have called for his resignation. This is probably the last thing Buhari will do as one would wonder if someone who contested for presidency four times will resign in his first term in office. To Buhari, the idea of resignation as a way of conceding to the demand of some militants is laughable and almost impossible.

http://www.naij.com/936858-5-things-niger-delta-militants-want-buhari-may-not-give.html

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by emeka2847: 10:52am On Aug 22, 2016
I agree totally with the writer

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by ojnnaco(m): 10:58am On Aug 22, 2016
As much as I agree with the writer,I will like to say when majority of these are denied to them just know that The issue of insurgency will continue to thrive and any forceful means to subdue them will be tantamount to genocide.
They demands are as simple as ABC, develop the land where the WHOLE country depends for their survivals .

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by smellingmenses: 10:58am On Aug 22, 2016
He doesn't have to give. They need to take!

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by 989900: 11:12am On Aug 22, 2016
Fair enough.

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by evilapc: 11:22am On Aug 22, 2016
In essence, the unity of one Nigeria is only about ND oil... and in another word, the north is the owner of Nigeria and determines what happens to every region...what an evil country! What a slavic country for those who are not northerners!

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by Horlufemi(m): 11:34am On Aug 22, 2016
ojnnaco:
As much as I agree with the writer,I will like to say when majority of these are denied to them just know that The issue of insurgency will continue to thrive and any forceful means to subdue them will be tantamount to genocide.
They demands are as simple as ABC, develop the land where the WHOLE country depends for their survivals .

Simple
Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by Aufbauh(m): 11:35am On Aug 22, 2016
We all know that the resurgence of militancy in the Niger Delta and Biafra agitation in the south east is political targeted to distract the PMB's administration but 'Chukwu okike abiama' pass then all.

Their target was a wrong target. If you've ever mingled with a Fulani man you will understand that they don't cave in for threat or incessant wailing to get their attention talk more of a disciplined retired Fulani Generalissimo that careless about mundane things.....

Those who knew this secret like Akpabios,D.Marks,Metuhs & Co have already resigned to faith till 2019 while the kids keep kicking against the prick.

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by rummeh: 11:39am On Aug 22, 2016
Resource control.... Buhari will never let us have it.... The militants are not even together sef....
Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by attackgat: 11:57am On Aug 22, 2016
evilapc:
In essence, the unity of one Nigeria is only about ND oil... and in another word, the north is the owner of Nigeria and determines what happens to every region...what an evil country! What a slavic country for those who are not northerners!

Unfortunately so. 'One Nigeria' has always been about the economic expediency of the North. If the North had sea port and Oil, they would have left Nigeria even before Ojukwu declared Biafra.

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by osile2012: 12:10pm On Aug 22, 2016
[size=18pt]hmm.[/size]
Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by nakamora: 12:20pm On Aug 22, 2016
Fg should partner with this boys in setting up hundreds of modular refineries base on you win,I win.This will stop importation of PMS,increase our revenue, reduce unemployment, encourage buy naija to grow naija.
My opinion

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by Nobody: 1:28pm On Aug 22, 2016
evilapc:

This is the simple truth of things. Sadly, this is it

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by vedaxcool(m): 1:44pm On Aug 22, 2016
You mean the same land the militants are destroying with oil spills and chasing away investors? The same lands militants rather not invest their money and build university in small Benin republic. You guys should be honest with yourselves.

ojnnaco:

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by RedTarantula: 1:57pm On Aug 22, 2016
vedaxcool:
You mean the same land the militants are destroying with oil spills and chasing away investors? You guys should be honest with yourselves.

This is a classic summary of the write up.

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by vedaxcool(m): 2:19pm On Aug 22, 2016
RedTarantula:

This is a classic summary of the write up.

If you couldn't even understand the point I am making then you have no business typing here.

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by emerged01(m): 2:25pm On Aug 22, 2016
Buhari no dey play o! Make every mother draw im chidren ear. He wan face militants with aircrafts.

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by DropShot: 2:26pm On Aug 22, 2016
The scAvengers and their sympathizers can continue cutting their nose to spite their face.

NO ONE IS IMMUNE TO HUNGER AND FAMINE. PIKIN WEY TALK SAY IM MAMA NO GO SLEEP, IM SEF NO GO REST.

PMB CAN NEVER BE BLACKMAILED. WE'RE NOT TALKING OF WEAKLING JONATHAN HERE.

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by RedTarantula: 2:43pm On Aug 22, 2016
vedaxcool:

If you couldn't even understand the point I am making then you have no business typing here.

I understood your point but I just wanted to point these facts out for you to see.

It looks like the north owns this country and that is the real cause of anger and frustration in the east.

We all should be equal stake holders in the Nigerian project.
Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by babyfaceafrica: 3:45pm On Aug 22, 2016
RedTarantula:

I understood your point but I just wanted to point these facts out for you to see.

It looks like the north owns this country and that is the real cause of anger and frustration in the east.

but you didn't say all these when GEJ was there?....amnesty is a scam...northern oligarcy may be leeches but most Niger deltans elders are not helping matters at all....see asari..built a whole university in benin..see tompolo purchasing ships....are these not Niger Deltans so call fighters....amnesty shouldnot have started!!!

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 22, 2016
Okay..issues are going to be straighten out soon.
T.B Joshua prophecy up loading..
Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 22, 2016
Okay..issues are going to be straighten out soon.
T.B Joshua prophecy up loading.. won't be long.

FG better start developing..
Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by vedaxcool(m): 4:09pm On Aug 22, 2016
RedTarantula:

Misplaced anger, a lesson all Nigerians have no single group can determine who governs the country, for PMB to become president he needed, the South West, votes from the largely minority North Central and votes from the diverse NE. Nigeria belongs to all.

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by moscobabs(m): 4:16pm On Aug 22, 2016
Buhari dares the chestbeaters

sai Buhari

Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by KenyAyan(m): 4:21pm On Aug 22, 2016
The Nigeria Internship Fair

Stutern, a platform that provide internship jobs for undergrads and recent grads is excited to announce their 2016 Nigeria Internship Fair. They are actually promising that 1000+ internships will be available and that all candidates will be screened, meaning only the best will be invited to participate. The good thing is that they have success stories and with this fair they can connect top talents with exciting employers, in just 1 day. If you are young (undergrad or recent grad) and still looking for job or internhsip this fair is a promising! Applications for candidates and employers are now opened here - www.stutern.com/fair

All the best. My own two cent.
Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by pode(m): 4:30pm On Aug 22, 2016
You don't give what you don't have, they own the five above you mention
Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by Eazybay(m): 4:57pm On Aug 22, 2016
DropShot:
The scAvengers and their sympathizers can continue cutting their nose to spite their face.

NO ONE IS IMMUNE TO HUNGER AND FAMINE. PIKIN WEY TALK SAY IM MAMA NO GO SLEEP, IM SEF NO GO REST.

You see the problem? You insult and malign the people these people listen to. As much as u fool urself bout PMB's performance at least admit Naija is built on a faulty(oppressive) foundation. The fg and the NDA are exploiting d wrong foundation for selfish gains. PMB meets Wike, meets GEJ. Osibanjo meets SS gov and u are here calling somebody a weakling. I detest violence but I have come to understand violence is the only means to reset undemocratic brains like yours.
Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by proeast(m): 5:53pm On Aug 22, 2016
Wait until one dollar exchanges for one thousand naira and we become another zimbabwe then you people will know wether he has any choice or not. NDI ARA!!
Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by proeast(m): 5:56pm On Aug 22, 2016
Aufbauh:
We all know that the resurgence of militancy in the Niger Delta and Biafra agitation in the south east is political targeted to distract the PMB's administration but 'Chukwu okike abiama' pass then all.

Their target was a wrong target. If you've ever mingled with a Fulani man you will understand that they don't cave in for threat or incessant wailing to get their attention talk more of a disciplined retired Fulani Generalissimo that careless about mundane things.....

Those who knew this secret like Akpabios,D.Marks,Metuhs & Co have already resigned to faith till 2019 while the kids keep kicking against the prick.
THIS IS ONE OF THE WORST RUBBISH I'VE EVER READ BOTH ONLINE & OFFLINE. WHOEVER WROTE THIS TRASH SHOULD BE BANNED!
Re: Buhari: 5 Things I Can't Give Militants- Naij.com by proeast(m): 6:05pm On Aug 22, 2016
DropShot:

Shameless people everywhere! From new sherif in town mantra to they are destroying their land and now this?? Cant you people face the resources in your own land? Does it mean you parasites cant survive without ND oil?? You guys should continue nudging the dullard to disaster. your country is already on the highway to zimbabwe, by the time a dollar exchanges for 1000 naira your brain will reformat. Do not support fiscal federalism for your own good but wait till disaster strucks!!

See Wat Nigerian Lawyer Dresed In His Regalia Was Spotted Doing At Roadside Buka / Nigerian Boko Haram Recruiter Okoh Godwin Arrested In Senegal - Associated Press / Biafra: Saw This And Shaked My Head.

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90