Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,126 members, 7,916,308 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 08:04 PM

A 'layman' Explanation Of The Proposed Emergency Bill.. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A 'layman' Explanation Of The Proposed Emergency Bill.. (557 Views)

In Emergency Bill To Senate, Buhari Seeks To Fast-track Sale Of National assets / Soludo Backs Buhari’s Emergency Bill, Proposes N19trn ‘Anti-Recession’ Blueprint / The Proposed 4TH Mainland Bridge & Masterplan In Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A 'layman' Explanation Of The Proposed Emergency Bill.. by Inani(m): 10:27am On Aug 24, 2016
The Bill seeks to:
1) Amends Section 34(3) which stipulates that
procurement process should be minimum of six
months. And what is wrong with this? If you use 6 months to do procurement, when will your consignment arrive? I'm even surprised that it is even in our constitution in the first instance. No wonder things take ages to fix in this clime. Sometimes ago, I worked with a FG agency and as part of my feedback, I requested that an additional table and a chair should be provided in a particular office. The head of the agency told me that it would take 8 months to grant my request.

2) Give powers to give contractors 50 per cent
mobilization fees unlike 15 per cent obtainable today. I want to do work for you, you're giving me 15%. And you want me to do a good job. Where will I see the remaining 85%? Is this not invitation to corruption? You want me to do 419 or use substandard raw materials? No wonder they do roads and everything will pafuka under 1 year.

3) Fast-track the process of sale or lease of public assets e.g. the presidential jets. Nigeria has a lot of assets that can be sold to reflate the economy. But the process to lease or sell the assets will take one year. He believes that there is no need keeping those assets if the nation can generate over $50 billion through lease and sales,” This is an A asterisk score for the President. No more to add.

4) Amend visa process to include ability to obtain visa on arrival AND to ensure that henceforth, tourist and business visas are issued within 48 hours at all the consular offices of Nigeria. This is another 10 over 10 move by Mr President.How anyone would link this with dictatorial tendency is beyond my understanding.
5) Amend the UBEC Act so as to free the N58 billion trapped in the Fund as a result of the inability of the states to pay 50 per cent counterpart funding. All of 58 billion naira is trapped in some accounts because of counterpart funding issue while basic
education rots away. Is it the states that are
struggling to meet up with salary that would pay one yeye counterpart funding to access UBE funds? I hope we're not deceiving ourselves. Even with the imperfect system we're running, 58 billion would make its twin mark on the economy and basic education.

6) Prepare agencies to respond promptly to licence registration. This will allow entrepreneurs to apply for registration and get approval within seven days. Failure of which, the applicant is deemed licensed after seven days without hearing from the agencies such as the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). My business registration with CAC is currently taking ages. I may need to wait for this bill to be passed so I can sue somebody who has been wasting my time at
the CAC. I can't wait. Somebody will soon hear from my lawyers.
By Sunkanmi Adesina

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 'layman' Explanation Of The Proposed Emergency Bill.. by hopilo: 10:38am On Aug 24, 2016
amend the constitution to reduce procurement time. And why do you need to pay contractor 50%, they will steal the money. Mobilized them with 15% let them use their money to execute and you pay them on milestone attained. If they no gree collect 15% give me I will do the Job.
Re: A 'layman' Explanation Of The Proposed Emergency Bill.. by chriskosherbal(m): 10:42am On Aug 24, 2016
I see
Re: A 'layman' Explanation Of The Proposed Emergency Bill.. by plainol(m): 10:52am On Aug 24, 2016
Do you know how much civil servants make from this bottleneck? They will forever oppose change.
Re: A 'layman' Explanation Of The Proposed Emergency Bill.. by waxxydude: 11:07am On Aug 24, 2016
Not a fan of hunger-induced buhari/APC, but this bill makes so much sense. Damn, it should be passed quickly.

Amend visa process with ability to obtain visa on arrival.
Prepare agencies to respond promptly to license registration.

I just hope if it gets signed into law, it doesnt get messed up.
Re: A 'layman' Explanation Of The Proposed Emergency Bill.. by blazhykowskyi(m): 11:54am On Aug 24, 2016
wow! who wrote these trash in our Constitution in the first place?
no wonder the country is so backward.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Okowa’s Convoy Crushes Man To Death, Injures Journalists / Ekiti Govt. Sign Into Law Grazing Bill In Prohibited Areas Of The State / PHOTO: Gov. Yahaya Bello Donates Vehicles To NDLEA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.