Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,755 members, 7,915,113 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 04:36 PM

Eknog Initiation Rites Into Adulthood By Deezia Burabari Sunday - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Eknog Initiation Rites Into Adulthood By Deezia Burabari Sunday (1129 Views)

Ayiri Emami Installed As The Prime Minister Of Warri After Traditional Rites / Ooni Ogunwusi Performs Ritual Rites Before Entering Ado-Ekiti (Photos) / Ekong Initiation Rites Of Ibiono Ibom Akwaibom State By Deezia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Eknog Initiation Rites Into Adulthood By Deezia Burabari Sunday by Deezia1(m): 12:24am On Aug 27, 2016
My little effort while on National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) is never a waste as I received a copy of my publication while on service in ICHEKE Journal of the Faculty of Humanities. Vol 14. No 1, March 2016. Ignatius Ajuru University of Education, Port Harcourt.

As an academia, whose scholarly interest ranges from Philosophy of Religion to African Philosophy, I have embarked on lots of research works, one of which, is the 'EKONG INITIATION RITES INTO ADULTHOOD AMONG THE IBIONO/IBIBIO PEOPLE OF AKWA IBOM STATE.' I carried out this research while on NYSC in Ibiono Ibom Local Government Area, Akwa Ibom State.

I discovered that in every culture, traditional practices celebrate life-cycle which perpetuates community cohesion, and transmit values to subsequent generations. The Ekong Initiation Rites into Adulthood is a ritual ceremony that marked the transition from one phase of life to another; It is a tumultuous transition from adolescent to adulthood, with its inculcation of high moral standard among the youths in their teenage age with the provision of a forum for traditional civic education, through which the people's cosmology, tradition and customs were being taught.

The cultic involvement of the Ekong initiation rites was also an avenue were the leaders of these cults, as custodians of ancient wisdom, transmit much cherished love humility, responsibility and respect etc. to the community.

However, the value of Ekong Initiation Rites into Adulthood has been watered down to mere ceremony, as well as an embodiment of molestation, theft, discrimination, and distortion of economic, educational, social, political and Religious activities, allegedly perpetrated by the Ekong society through its masquerade.

This and several other issues surrounding the Ekong Initiation Rites into Adulthood Among the Ibiono People of AkwaIbom State attracted my attention. Hence the essence of this work to critically investigate the pains and gains of the Ekong initiation rites.

For more details or how to get a copy of the Journal contact me at burabarisunday@gmail.com
Or the editorial board at www.ichekejournal.com

CONGRATULATIONS!
Comrd Deezia Burabari Sunday
(To God be the glory).

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1750243928571311&id=100007571620059
Re: Eknog Initiation Rites Into Adulthood By Deezia Burabari Sunday by Deezia1(m): 11:35am On May 24, 2017
This work is published by
Deezia B. S. (2016) Ekong Initiation Rites into Adulthood among the Ibibio/Ibion People of Akwaibom State. Icheke journal of the faculty of humanities, Ignatius Ajuru University of Education Port Harcourt. Vol 14 No 1. pp 59-72

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Think About These Characters? / Priests, Traditional Chiefs, Desert Palace, Fail To Perform Rituals / Miss Cross River Mbgn 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.