Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,853 members, 7,872,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 12:05 AM

Sickness Of The Mouth: Yar'adua Sees Signs Of Economy Recovery - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sickness Of The Mouth: Yar'adua Sees Signs Of Economy Recovery (615 Views)

State Of Economy: I'm Happy I Lost Governorship Election —alao-akala / Rivers Governorship Rerun: A Golden Opportunity To Shut The Mouth Of APC / Shehu Musa Yar'adua Entered Army 1959, How Did He Write Exam 1961 Na???? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sickness Of The Mouth: Yar'adua Sees Signs Of Economy Recovery by walata44(m): 7:00pm On Oct 01, 2009
Yar'Adua sees signs of economic recovery

REUTERS

October 1, 2009 11:47AMT

President Umaru Yar'Adua said on Thursday that Nigeria's economy is showing signs of recovery, thanks to a series of reforms that has stabilised the naira currency, lowered inflation and renewed investor confidence.

"As the world begins to recover from the global recession, we are increasingly encouraged by the emerging signs of recovery in our national economy," Mr. Yar'Adua said in a national address marking Nigeria's 49 years of independence.

He pegged the oil producer's economic growth at 5 percent this year, echoing similar estimates made by the central bank.

A Reuters' poll of 12 analysts in late August forecast Nigeria's economy to grow 3.6 percent in 2009 and accelerate to 4.8 percent next year.

Mr. Yar'Adua highlighted the drop in inflation to 11 percent in August from 15 percent at the end of last year.

Sub-Saharan Africa's second-biggest economy, once a darling of frontier market investors, has seen its fortunes decline as the global economic downturn pushed down energy prices and exposed fundamental weaknesses in its banking sector.

Reform support

Mr. Yar'Adua offered his full support to Central Bank Governor Lamido Sanusi's unprecedented reforms in Nigeria's financial institutions.

The regulator injected $2.6 billion into five ailing banks in August after an audit of 10 institutions found they were so weakly capitalised that they posed a systemic risk.

The Central Bank said it would submit the audit results of the remaining 14 banks for final review next week and that they appeared to be in better health than those already examined.

"The goal is to have banks and financial institutions that can be effective partners with government in delivering economic growth," Mr. Yar'Adua said.

"By enforcing full disclosure, entrenching sound corporate governance and risk management principles, Nigeria would be on the way to entrenching a financial system that inspires the confidence of the international community," he said.

Mr. Yar'Adua praised the Central Bank reforms, including the lifting of foreign exchange controls in July, that have helped stabilise the naira.

"In the last quarter of 2008, the naira suffered a very sharp depreciation which continued into the early part of this year," he said. "Normalcy has now been restored with the convergence in rates in our foreign exchange markets."

The president renewed his commitment to develop the oil-producing Niger Delta and provide stable electricity to the country's 140 million residents, both considered major brakes on economic growth.

Mr. Yar'Adua expressed hope that all militants in the Niger Delta would surrender their arms in return for clemency.

The federal amnesty programme is set to expire on Sunday, despite requests from key rebel leaders to push back the deadline to allow time for peace talks.

"Some remarkable progress has been made and it is our hope that all militants would avail themselves of this amnesty, which expires on Sunday," he said.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5465847-146/Yar'Adua_sees_signs_of_economic_recovery.csp
Re: Sickness Of The Mouth: Yar'adua Sees Signs Of Economy Recovery by MrCrackles(m): 12:57am On Oct 02, 2009
YaRadull is not relevant in Nigeria. . .
Goofy headed nonentity!
Re: Sickness Of The Mouth: Yar'adua Sees Signs Of Economy Recovery by Nobody: 1:45am On Oct 02, 2009
^^ see, this is why people are starting to go rambo on you armchair critics.

Do you have no manners at all or whats with this everlasting gibberish and inability to make any meaningful post without sounding like monkeys on crack?

Look at the title of this thread by the idiot of an OP and see the first response.
Re: Sickness Of The Mouth: Yar'adua Sees Signs Of Economy Recovery by Nobody: 8:17am On Oct 02, 2009
Wow i love the thread title
Re: Sickness Of The Mouth: Yar'adua Sees Signs Of Economy Recovery by walata44(m): 11:49am On Oct 02, 2009
^^ see, this is why people are starting to go rambo on you armchair critics.

Do you have no manners at all or whats with this everlasting gibberish and inability to make any meaningful post without sounding like monkeys on crack?

Look at the title of this thread by the idiot of an OP and see the first response

I think everyone deserve the right to say whatever he/she thinks about the way he's being govern, that's the essence of democrazy.
Re: Sickness Of The Mouth: Yar'adua Sees Signs Of Economy Recovery by MrCrackles(m): 12:07pm On Oct 02, 2009
walata44:

I think everyone deserve right the to say whatever he/she thinks about the way he's being govern, that's the essence of democrazy.
Thank you jare. . . .
At times some people are not worth replying hence the reason why i didnt even bother myself. . . . cool
Re: Sickness Of The Mouth: Yar'adua Sees Signs Of Economy Recovery by Nobody: 12:12pm On Oct 02, 2009
If i were Yar Adua, i'd resign and then concentrate on my 'health recovery'
Re: Sickness Of The Mouth: Yar'adua Sees Signs Of Economy Recovery by walata44(m): 12:33pm On Oct 02, 2009
The logic behind this abracadabra economy is what I don't understand. A country without electricity, how can that be possible, only God knows the indices in which Yara used in measuring his own economy recovery. To my knowledge Nigeria economy is dead long time ago only revolution can perform CPR on her, just may be sad

(1) (Reply)

Vice President Prays For Nigeria / The Central Bank Of Nigeria (cbn) Is To Inject 200 Billion Naira Into Four More / Credit Crunch:nec Approves $2 Billion Lifeline.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.