Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,507 members, 7,888,611 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 11:34 AM

Kitchen Garden - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Kitchen Garden (924 Views)

The Signpost At A Plantain Garden: "Steal With Joy & Die With Tears" (Photo) / Starting Up My Vegetable Farm Garden From Scratch (ugwu, Tomato, Green-leaf) / Photos Of My Tomato Garden (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kitchen Garden by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 31, 2016
This is my mother's kitchen garden. Am amazed how far she has come. She doesn't buy vegetables anymore.

Challenges,

The greatest was the soil.

This space was filled with a lot of cement and other construction debree.(first photo of surrounding area shows the condition of the soil) I started it out by putting a layer (about an inch or two) of clay over the construction soil and planted simple flowers that were not so demanding nutrients wise. When my mother saw things could grow, she added a fresh layer of clay and chicken manure(from a neigbour), replaced my flowers with vegetables undecided

Since then, it's a tiny paradise. She is now planting vegetables in basins, buckets, sacks grin.

Pests

Aphids are still a challenge. There thick caterpillars two weeks ago that chew through the kale leaves. Second photo shows an affected leaf.

Third photo shows the pests on the plant.

Took the last photo about a month ago.

Re: Kitchen Garden by Nobody: 8:26am On Aug 31, 2016
Despite having to share her vegetables with aphids and their caterpillars, the vegetables are doing well; She told me presence of caterpillars means the vegetables are healthy and free of dangerous chemicals grin

She's got kale, Spinach, Amaranth, onions, pumpkin

The amaranth is still baby stage. Waiting to see how it will fair. She spread the seeds generously over the tiny garden.

Re: Kitchen Garden by Nobody: 8:33am On Aug 31, 2016
cool

Even has a pumpkin plant growing. She let it crawl outside and it's flowering with fruit shocked

The leaves have been supplying her with additional vegetables. cheesy

Re: Kitchen Garden by Nobody: 8:49am On Aug 31, 2016
And spring onions.

OTHER vegetables

Nightshade -

Don't know what the other one is called

And a traditional variety of kale that is spicy, a bit bitter

Re: Kitchen Garden by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 01, 2016
cool
Cooked kales + spinach + amaranth

Re: Kitchen Garden by Nobody: 8:12am On Dec 04, 2016
Follow up ...

Sugarcane grin

Re: Kitchen Garden by Nobody: 8:14am On Dec 04, 2016
A kind of Spice

Re: Kitchen Garden by Nobody: 8:15am On Dec 04, 2016
Vegetable
(Nderema in local dialect)

Re: Kitchen Garden by Nobody: 8:30am On Dec 04, 2016
That's a tomato plant next to the spinach.

Re: Kitchen Garden by Nobody: 8:33am On Dec 04, 2016
coolThe Amaranth is gone. Rest of the garden looks robust cool

Re: Kitchen Garden by Nobody: 8:35am On Dec 04, 2016
Some pests angry

(1) (Reply)

Chicks (broilers) And Fish Farming / #15000 Monthly Salary Or Investing In Poultry Business. / Alligator Pepper Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.