Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,212 members, 7,887,561 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 10:39 AM

What Is The Sin Of Omission? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Sin Of Omission? (10049 Views)

Unbelief: The Sin That Hinders Us / Parable Of The Rich Man And Lazarus: What Was The Sin Of The Rich Man? / What Was The Sin Of Jericho? (fulani Herdsmen Vs Children Of Israel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by Nobody: 7:38am On Sep 04, 2016
Which one be sin of omission again ? I thought it was an error in accounting..

Am I the only one hearing this for the first time?
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by Sanchez01: 7:39am On Sep 04, 2016
leokennedi:
Different folks, different strokes.... different minds, different mindset. Wot could be sin of omission for Mr A, may not or cannot be for B. Omitting in putting smiles on someone's face in a month could be a sin for Mr A while Mr B don't give a fig.

If u know what is right, do It and stay miles away from sin.
Your assertion is wrong. That a man might not love what you did, are about to do and have done, as long as it is a good act does not count. The Bible makes it known that the heart of man is desperately wicked. More so, we are answerable to God and not man.
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by Sanchez01: 7:40am On Sep 04, 2016
hopsydboi:
Which one be sin of omission again ? I thought it was an error in accounting..

Am I the only one hearing this for the first time?
Funny. It's been around a while and it's often mentioned, associated and, or, with the sin of commission.
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by eph12(m): 7:42am On Sep 04, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

"Therefore to him that knows to do good, and does it not, to him it is sin" (James 4:17).

Thanks for the correction. It therefore means that if it is in the Bible it is no longer a personal opinion. cool
So it's invalid?
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by Nobody: 7:45am On Sep 04, 2016
Sanchez01:

1 Cor 6:13 - Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both.
Quoting a blind ended verse for me only makes u look stupid.

Now I don't know what jesus or Paul was referring to.

Certainlu not Nigeria's hardship in2016
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by Richy4(m): 7:46am On Sep 04, 2016
Example of sin omission

Abraham forgot to tell that king that sarah was his wife....

He prefare to say she was his sister which was true and omitted the basic truth....
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by Nobody: 7:46am On Sep 04, 2016
Sanchez01:

Funny. It's been around a while and it's often mentioned, associated and, or, with the sin of commission.
Noted duely
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by nawebco(m): 7:49am On Sep 04, 2016
You can now share religious matters to others while getting same from fellow at this forum site. Entering and exit is free.

You can also make your adverts of goods and services, promotions and announcement in this forum=>http://naija4web.com/forum

Your postings can be shared via social media to give it more view.

Happy Sunday
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by Olumyco(m): 7:51am On Sep 04, 2016
dhardline:
This are sins that one commit without knowing at that point in time that you have sinned but the Holy spirit quickens your heart immediately after to show you how what you have done is a sin.
For example when telling a story and you keep some of the facts back because of the wrong motives (exageration), probably you want to make people see you in a different light or maybe on a queue and you allow someone enter who was not meant to be there hence indirectly causing others to sin in their hearts e.t.c.

This doesn't describe the sin of omission. Sin of omission most of the time happens when the knowledge of the right tin to do comes to you thru the holy spirit or conscience & U refuse to do It.

This sin operates like presumptuous sin.

A close example is what the Bible says that If a man refuse to provide for his house is worst than an infidel.

Another example is this: As a Christian U know that it is a must for U to do restitution and u refuse to do It. Even the spirit of God tells U it is the right tin to do to be qualified for heaven and U refuse.

Another is - the right tin to do is to pay u r tithe as a child of God and U refuse to do it.

U know it is ur duty as a pastor (Shepherd) to feed the flock of God with the true word of God and U refuse.

U know U r saved to serve, that is to win others for Christ and U refuse
This is like what the Bible says in the book of Ezekiel that if U fail to perform ur duty as a watchman that the blood of the person U ought to have assisted with the word of God would be required out of ur hand.

And so on + the ones mentioned by Sanchez01

But we must know that the spirit of God must lead us all the time b4 embarking on anything.
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by free2ryhme: 7:55am On Sep 04, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
What is the sin of omission? How can I avoid sins of omission?

sin is sin whether omission or commission
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by Harkindeylee(m): 8:12am On Sep 04, 2016
oh
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by Suko110(m): 8:25am On Sep 04, 2016
lindaayim:
sin of omission is to knowingly omit something when speaking or writing. like you telling your kids about growing up and how Godfearing you were without stating your bad sides.

So wrong , u don't hv to tell dem u womanised , just tell dem its bad and evil nd has negative Consequence's dat all they need to Knw ie for example o
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by nosypat(m): 8:31am On Sep 04, 2016
menxer:

If it's backed by bible verses it is no longer an opinion.

All the same, there is a Bible verse that says "he that knows good and does not do it, it is sin."
Don't ask me where.

James 4:17
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by emmahsongs: 9:02am On Sep 04, 2016
Have you ever imagined how your life would have been without God?
God indeed has proved his love towards us by being faithful and just.Download and listen,a new single by me-Emmahsongz titled Imagine_Say,telling of God's faithfulness.
http://datafilehost.com/d/IMWRtZWfF4
You could as well share with your friends and love ones. Thanks smileyHave you ever imagined how your life would have been without God?
God indeed has proved his love towards us by being faithful and just.Download and listen,a new single by me-Emmahsongz titled Imagine_Say,telling of God's faithfulness.
http://datafilehost.com/d/IMWRtZWfF4
You could as well share with your friends and love ones. Thanks
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by sleekyonyx(f): 11:39am On Sep 04, 2016
menxer:

All the same, there is a Bible verse that says "he that knows good and does not do it, it is sin."
Don't ask me where.
Happy sunday cheesy
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by emmalux2(m): 1:19pm On Sep 04, 2016
For example, not praying before you eat. It may not necessarily send u to hell fire, God can easily forgive you. U can eat a particulat food and become weak spiritually, so dont jump into eating without prayer. Amen
I STAND TO BE CORRECTED......God have mercy.
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by dotun365: 1:47pm On Sep 04, 2016
bizza45:
kilode!!!! c question, I tot nairaland I'd a social site and not a church. or has it become a church overnight !!! the
did someone beg you to comment or answer you could just move along to the next topic/Thread
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by nopretense: 2:26pm On Sep 04, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
sin of omission is, when you fail to do what you are supposed/expected to do. The Bible says "if you know the right thing to do, and you don't do it, it would be counted as a sin against you". In my walk with God, I discovered that you must not only do without telling lies, you must also go as far as telling the truth....(all unrighteous is sin!); no halfway, no neutrality. In this case, if you know the good truth, and you hide it, it is a sin of omission. Are we saying you should reveal all the secrets you know about everything or people? NO! Only that you have to be led by The Holy Spirit always!
Son of commission, on the other hand, is, doing (i.e comitting) what you are not supposed to do. Happy Sunday. May God's Grace lead us to Heaven (Amen)!
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by snowblaq(f): 6:11pm On Sep 04, 2016
bizza45:
kilode!!!! c question, I tot nairaland I'd a social site and not a church. or has it become a church overnight !!! the
.....are u scared you might turn into a christian??.....

1 Like

Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by Amicable24: 9:36pm On Sep 04, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Good job. Have you got any bible verses to back up your opinion?

menxer:

Don't ask me where.
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by DeSepiero(m): 11:34pm On Sep 04, 2016
lindaayim:
sin of omission is to knowingly omit something when speaking or writing.

then God was guilty of this sin if that's the case.
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:30am On Sep 08, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

Daily Manna
Thursday, October 01, 2015

Error Of Omission

TEXT: EXODUS 21:26-36

"But if the ox were wont to push with his horn in time past, and it hath been testified to his owner, and he hath not kept him in, but that he hath killed a man or a woman; the ox shall be stoned, and his owner also shall be put to death" (Exodus 21:29).

The principle of responsibility for wrongs done to others, as explained in the Bible, plainly states that one is liable for the actions of his agents as long as he owes that agent a duty of care and control. In the case of animals, it makes little difference that the owner is not aware of its destructive tendencies.

The Lord had given Moses the laws guiding man's relationship with God and fellow man in the preceding chapter, known as "The Ten Commandments". Underlying the commandments governing man's relationship with one another is the principle of equity: "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". And to underscore God's view of the sanctity of life, an animal which killed a human being was to be killed; the owner himself was to suffer similar fate if he was aware of the animal's destructive traits.

Today, God still highly upholds the sanctity of life. Sins of omission are as serious in the eyes of the Lord as sins of commission. Carelessness or negligence must be avoided by true followers of Christ. The major difference between man and animal is in man's possession of a reasoning faculty. If we have faculties to guide us in our daily life and fail to use them, then we are culpable before the Lord.

The Scripture enjoins us to walk carefully through life to be able to reap the blessings God has graciously provided for His children. We should watch over our domestic animals to keep them from harming people or destroying their properties.

Bible Reading in one Year: JUDE 1

Higher Everyday for Youths - Link: http://highereveryday.dclmhq.org/

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: "Acts of omission and commission attract punishment"

See more HERE:
Re: What Is The Sin Of Omission? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:23am On Sep 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Another suggested answer:

Question: "What is a sin of omission?"

Answer: James 4:17 declares, "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." A sin of omission is a sin that is the result of not doing something God's Word teaches that we should do. It is generally used in contrast with the corresponding phrase "the sin of commission," or sins that a person actively commits. Paul juxtaposes the two concepts in Romans 7:14-20. He decries his tendency toward both types of sin. He does what he doesn't want to do and knows is wrong—the sin of commission—and he doesn't do what he knows he should do and really wants to do—the sin of omission. Here is a picture of the new nature in conflict with the flesh in which it dwells.

In the New Testament, the classic example given by Jesus is the account of the Good Samaritan. After a man had been beaten and left in need of help, the first two men to pass by—a priest and a Levite, both of whom knew better—failed to act. The third man, a Samaritan, stopped to show compassion to the man in need (Luke 10:30-37). Jesus used this example to teach that we are to likewise help those in need. By doing so, he clearly communicated that it is sinful to avoid doing good, just as it is sinful to pursue what is evil.

Jesus further describes the sins of omission in Matthew 25:31-46. The goats, those who are sent away by Christ, are those who saw others hungry and thirsty, but did not provide food and water. They are those who saw others in need of clothing, who were sick or in jail but did nothing to clothe or comfort them. These are all examples of sins of omission. There was no sin committed against these needy people—they were not intentionally starved or deprived of their clothing. But the sin of omission was committed when those who could have provided for them chose not to.

Finally, the apostle Paul provides a summary statement that explains why we should do what is right and refrain from sins of omission: "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up" (Galatians 6:9). When we do the will of our heavenly Father (Matthew 12:50), we avoid sins of omission and live productive, fruitful lives pleasing to God (Romans 12:1-2).

(1) (2) (Reply)

Imagine If God Talks To People As Claimed. Challenge To Christians / How Jesus Has Deceived The Christians / The Good Things In The Lives Of Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.