Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,223 members, 7,880,843 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 07:57 AM

Do you Believe In Love? - Romance (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do you Believe In Love? (30601 Views)

Can You Believe This Lady Is Almost 40 Years Old (photos) / Nigerian Lady Travels To US For A Break, But Falls In Love With A Lebanese Guy / Do You Believe In Love? Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Laveda(f): 8:26am On Sep 08, 2016
danbrowndmf:
lol. Goodmorning...are u back?
Nope.

1 Like

Re: Do you Believe In Love? by TheRealestGuy(m): 8:31am On Sep 08, 2016
Toks2008:

May GOD bless you..you just nailed it....WE FALL IN LOVE BECAUSE OF WHAT WE CAN GET and not because we are carried away by true love

A guy dating a typical naija babe should be ready to let go of the lady if she sees an American sweet guy ready to marry her..

But in the case of a rich lady who is not freaked about materialism then she can be with a man for another reason like his cuteness or maybe sexual ability or caring nature and the day she stops seeing those reasons, the love starts fading.

Omoge please just forget this thing called love..na wash.
Ok, lemme see if I can make sense to you.

Firstly, when comparing kinds of live I don't think anyone should use the love of God as comparism. We are mere humans.

That said, I need you to tell me something, do you believe that unconditional love exists or can exist in a family unit, between father and children, mother and children and so on? Cos you keep saying love is about what one can get from the relationship as if the only relationships on earth are romantic ones.

Second question - if your answer to the first is yes, dont you think the same kind of love (unconditional) found in a family unit can be extended to someone outside the unit who due to years of friendship and memories comes to become your "blood"?

The mistake you keep making is having a parochial view of the word love hence your gross misinterpretation.

Funny thing is so many people also have the same parochial view about love and it's annoying.

Lastly, you say you're a realist but how come you're seeking for perfection where it can never be found (humans)?

If I have the capacity to love my dad even till old age then why will you conclude that same kind of unconditional love cannot be extended to someone else (maybe a girl) who has come to matter in my life as much as my dad?

Hope I made sense?

1 Like

Re: Do you Believe In Love? by mrpatozky(m): 8:31am On Sep 08, 2016
fixedhollies:
Will ur class be on d net?

No... This is a practical class and cannot hold on the Internet.. . Whatsapp for more enquiries.. . Thanks
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Berbierklaus(f): 8:41am On Sep 08, 2016
kenex4ever:
U are smart! Send me your accnt no
gringrin
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by udumosam23(m): 8:43am On Sep 08, 2016
ogorwyne:

You just defined love using God. And yeah I agree. You mentioned commitment also and I concur. Love can never stand on its own. Come to think of it, I think other things are more important than love in relationships. Love dies, those other things make marriages Work. God, Commitment, Trust, and a host of others. Only God can love u till the end. Talk to couples.

And how about we talk about love from a differnt angle, how about those that don't believe in God? Does it mean Love isn't for them? Since you said its the presence of God between two people.

I could still learn from u if am wrong.
Ur name sounds like a friends name, his is Udiomuno Samuel. Good morning

Our name only sounds alike, I am udumo, Samuel Obeten. I can also be a friend.

Yes, love don't exist between people who don't know God. Though they may share common interest, have mutual respect and concern for each other. Those things on their own sustains relationships for quite a long time. But they last only when the rules exists.

Once the rules are broken, the bond is affected. When respect is not returned, when loyalty is doubted, when there is no longer trust or when one no longer cares...

But love has no rule, neither is it based on rules. It makes up for weaknesses, it corrects mistakes, it admits fault, it endure pains and suffering, it never gives up. Love gives everything and takes back nothing.

Love is sacrificial, kind and true. Man cannot on his own fulfil all these, only through God.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Toks2008(m): 8:56am On Sep 08, 2016
TheRealestGuy:
Ok, lemme see if I can make sense to you.

Firstly, when comparing kinds of live I don't think anyone should use the love of God as comparism. We are mere humans.

That said, I need you to tell me something, do you believe that unconditional love exists or can exist in a family unit, between father and children, mother and children and so on? Cos you keep saying love is about what one can get from the relationship as if the only relationships on earth are romantic ones.

Second question - if your answer to the first is yes, dont you think the same kind of love (unconditional) found in a family unit can be extended to someone outside the unit who due to years of friendship and memories comes to become your "blood"?

The mistake you keep making is having a parochial view of the word love hence your gross misinterpretation.

Funny thing is so many people also have the same parochial view about love and it's annoying.

Lastly, you say you're a realist but how come you're seeking for perfection where it can never be found (humans)?

If I have the capacity to love my dad even till old age then why will you conclude that same kind of unconditional love cannot be extended to someone else (maybe a girl) who has come to matter in my life as much as my dad?

Hope I made sense?

Yeah you did.

The truth remains that we just might find 1 in a million instance of true love but in the real sense, love between a man and woman in a romantic affair is a facade.

So shall we say we wil not marry and raise a family? NO..we just have to look for a condition that pleases us to be with another and then try to keep that condition alive.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Oahray: 9:10am On Sep 08, 2016
montezz:

Yes! There was this guy I loved so much that even till now I can't say this is why I love him. He wasn't worth it but I truly loved him without reason. I believe in love (because what I do for someone, it's not for him /her but for me).But few people find those commitments useless.Finding love is not that easy, but giving love is under your control so u can give it to others.
the fact that you don't know why you love someone does not mean it's without reason. Gravity existed even before man understood why he kept getting pulled back to the earth when he jumps.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Oahray: 9:30am On Sep 08, 2016
Toks2008:
Can you love without a reason and unconditionally? What is the true definition of love?

I strongly believe that real and unconditional love only exist from God to man but anyone who believes in human love is a big dummy.
I like your train of thoughts... However it's still rigged with hiccups which I find odd coming from someone supposedly objective.

First you assume that love is meant to be unconditional. I wonder why you think so. Where have you seen unconditional love in the universe? Nobody loves unconditionally. Even God doesn't love unconditionally.

Then because you rightly observed that human love cannot be unconditional, you proceed to call it a selfish scam. That's also an odd conclusion, seeing that people make sacrifices for others everyday, at times even at the risk of major discomfort or even the possibility of death. Self-sacrifice is what marks love for others as true or selfless, not the presence of conditions.

What I think is, your assumption that every condition is selfish is the reason you believe love is supposed to be unconditional, and your belief in the latter is why you believe love doesn't exist between humans.

So, yes... I believe in love; even romantic love between a man and a woman. It is very much conditional but it can be selfless and enduring. Depends on alot of things.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by TheRealestGuy(m): 9:32am On Sep 08, 2016
Toks2008:

Yeah you did.

The truth remains that we just might find 1 in a million instance of true love but in the real sense, love between a man and woman in a romantic affair is a facade.

So shall we say we wil not marry and raise a family? NO..we just have to look for a condition that pleases us to be with another and then try to keep that condition alive.
The bolded is that parochial view I mentioned earlier.

It is a very wrong thing to classify and group different kinds of love if it's the real one - agape. Agape love cannot be classified by who the relationship is with, whether father-children and brother-sister.

The "real love" which I presume is what you're talking about is agape love and it is not a facade.

Agape love can exist between a man and a woman in a romantic relationship and this is a fact.

And your one in a million theory is just an opinion cos I know you did not do any research or survey in that regard to come up with such figures.

Open up your mind and begin to see 'love' in the real, true and agape sense of it.

That kind of love you spoke about in your original post is not true or agape love.

Synonyms of that kind of "love" you've been trying so hard to debunk include - lust, infatuation, obsession, etc. It is far from the real deal.

Also please don't ever think that it is possible to love even in the real sense without any reason cos even God loves us because He created us.

Our parents love us because they brought us to the world. Love We love them right back cos they cared for us and nurtured us.

My problem with your view is saying that love between a man and a woman is for what both parties can gain or benefit, it is a very distorted view. Such "love" is not the real thing and can be classified into one of the kinds of "love" I mentioned earlier.

Funny thing is that you're right in a sense that such selfish kinds of love is just for benefits and pleasure. Where you may just be very wrong is that you didn't take out time to explain that those kinds of love are not the real deal.

Here's the definition of the real kind of love I've been talking about:

1 Corinthians 13:4-7New International Version (NIV)

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by villareal15(m): 9:33am On Sep 08, 2016
Toks2008:

You keep impressing me.

Those who i can say are capable of loving are the teenagers who mostly have pure hearts and that is why you see a girl of 17 ready to elope with a lover who can't even feed himself but then if you ask her why she "loves" the guy she will still lame things like.."he is fine, tall, has teddy and 6packs" ...

As long as there is a reason for loving then forget those 4 letter words.

This is why I pity ladies who think a man truly loves them because they propose marriage to them

Its either he loves your curves, your outward beauty, your manners, your cooking ability or sexual prowess..but take that thing away from him and watch him change or worse still as soon as he has gotten enough of whatever endeared him to you he will start hunting for a new one.

Well said!! Op. Always on point smiley
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by dasparrow: 9:38am On Sep 08, 2016
@Post

What most people call love is actually infatuation. Can a man love a woman without having sex with her? Nope, he can't. Can a woman love a man even if she is not benefiting anything from him? Nope, she can't. So you see, human 'love' is rubbish. The only person whom I can say loves me is my heavenly father Jehovah God. Any other kind of love especially coming from a human being na wash.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by yorhmienerd(m): 9:43am On Sep 08, 2016
My siggy says it all.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Toks2008(m): 9:59am On Sep 08, 2016
TheRealestGuy:

It is a very wrong thing to classify and group different kinds of love if it's the real one - agape. Agape love cannot be classified by who the relationship is with, whether father-children and brother-sister.

The "real love" which I presume is what you're talking about is agape love and it is not a facade.

Agape love can exist between a man and a woman in a romantic relationship and this is a fact.

And your one in a million theory is just an opinion cos I know you did not do any research or survey in that regard to come up with such figures.

Open up your mind and begin to see 'love' in the real, true and agape sense of it.

That kind of love you spoke about in your original post is not true or agape love.

Synonyms of that kind of "love" you've been trying so hard to debunk include - lust, infatuation, obsession, etc. It is far from the real deal.

Also please don't ever think that it is possible to love even in the real sense without any reason cos even God loves us because He created us.

Our parents love us because they brought us to the world. Love We love them right back cos they cared for us and nurtured us.

My problem with your view is saying that love between a man and a woman is for what both parties can gain or benefit, it is a very distorted view. Such "love" is not the real thing and can be classified into one of the kinds of "love" I mentioned earlier.

Funny thing is that you're right in a sense that such selfish kinds of love is just for benefits and pleasure. Where you may just be very wrong is that you didn't take out time to explain that those kinds of love are not the real deal.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

You just explained a theoretic side of love but practically Agape love only exists from God to man and any other type of love is wash.

Let's be frank..a lady loves me cos I care..I stop caring..she stops loving and maybe starts tolerating

I love a lady cos she is pleasing to my eyes, cooks well and fears God but the day she stops cooking for me for no justifiable reasons and she starts rebelling and showing signs of Godlessness I may remain with her cos of tolerance but not love.

Tolerance is what makes many marriages stand today and not love cos no human is able to love without a reason.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Toks2008(m): 10:04am On Sep 08, 2016
Oahray:
I like your train of thoughts... However it's still rigged with hiccups which I find odd coming from someone supposedly objective.

First you assume that love is meant to be unconditional. I wonder why you think so. Where have you seen unconditional love in the universe? Nobody loves unconditionally. Even God doesn't love unconditionally.

Then because you rightly observed that human love cannot be unconditional, you proceed to call it a selfish scam. That's also an odd conclusion, seeing that people make sacrifices for others everyday, at times even at the risk of major discomfort or even the possibility of death. Self-sacrifice is what marks love for others as true or selfless, not the presence of conditions.

What I think is, your assumption that every condition is selfish is the reason you believe love is supposed to be unconditional, and your belief in the latter is why you believe love doesn't exist between humans.

So, yes... I believe in love; even romantic love between a man and a woman. It is very much conditional but it can be selfless and enduring. Depends on alot of things.

I never said I don't believe in love.

I believe in self centered love, conditional love and that to me is fair enough.

I marry you for a reason and you do same..we keep those reasons alive we remain together and if I bleep up you either forgive me, tolerate or leave and vis-a-vis. That's how the cookie crumbles.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Nobody: 10:07am On Sep 08, 2016
slim49z:

Love ko love ni! My first girlfriend left me when I was a broke ass student for a working class dude. And my second girlfriend left me after my NYSC cos I got no job.

Now the second girlfriend wants to come back cos I have hustled and made my dough and professing to me she has never stopped loving me. Who is fooling who! I told her to look for another car park, period.

For every love, there's a reason - believe that!!
But the menfolk can love unconditionally? Was there a reason to your loving these girls or you never loved them
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by iykenathan162(m): 10:12am On Sep 08, 2016
[quote author=yemmit90 post=49039325]
Can you love without reason, YES or NO?
If YES, then explain why you wanna get married
Because I want to spend the rest of my life with that person I LOVE soo much
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Oahray: 10:14am On Sep 08, 2016
Toks2008:

I never said I don't believe in love.

I believe in self centered love, conditional love and that to me is fair enough.

I marry you for a reason and you do same..we keep those reasons alive we remain together and if I bleep up you either forgive me, tolerate or leave and vis-a-vis. That's how the cookie crumbles.
never said that you said you don't believe in love either. cheesy

You asked if we believe in love and I concluded by saying I do believe in love. It's not always about you.

Love is not necessarily self-centered just because it is conditional.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by iykenathan162(m): 10:22am On Sep 08, 2016
Owliver:
sorry to disappoint you. even the religious God don't love unconditionally. he doesn't love sinners. he has a lake of fire for them. He only loves those who worship him and it is said he will give them mansions in heaven.

so even the religious God loves for a purpose.

How can u compare God's love with dat of a mortal human.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by TheRealestGuy(m): 10:26am On Sep 08, 2016
Toks2008:

You just explained a theoretic side of love but practically Agape love only exists from God to man and any other type of love is wash.

Let's be frank..a lady loves me cos I care..I stop caring..she stops loving and maybe starts tolerating

I love a lady cos she is pleasing to my eyes, cooks well and fears God but the day she stops cooking for me for no justifiable reasons and she starts rebelling and showing signs of Godlessness I may remain with her cos of tolerance but not love.

Tolerance is what makes many marriages stand today and not love cos no human is able to love without a reason.
Please answer these two questions below.

Are you saying that agape love cannot exist in the family unit?

If you know that agape love can and does exist within the family unit, why do you not accept that the same agape love can be extended to people other than those in one's family unit (gf or wife inclusive)?

I have you the definition of real love and you say it is theoretical?

Anyway, my kind of love (even for my gf) is the agape type and not because of what I can gain or benefit from the relationship, after all no matter what it is she has to offer, there are a thousand and one girls out there who have same and even better. It's the fact that she has come to be more than just a gf, she's like family to me.

You still see love from a parochial and selfish point of view and it's your undoing.

By the way, those attributes of love as outlined in the holy bible are not theoretical but things we should endeavour to put into practise in our daily lives so as to become better humans and better "lovers" in the real sense of the word.

Don't you dare say they are not achievable or feasible or practical cos you are unwilling practise true and real love but prefer to continue to see love from a very stunted and selfish point of view.

If you don't change this mentality of yours you may find yourself forever unfulfilled in your relationships in life.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by iykenathan162(m): 10:27am On Sep 08, 2016
Oahray:

Tell him bro
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by CandiceJay(f): 10:28am On Sep 08, 2016
I soooo do not believe in love
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by iykenathan162(m): 10:31am On Sep 08, 2016
TheRealestGuy:

thanx bro, I love yr level of reasoning and presentation of points

1 Like

Re: Do you Believe In Love? by iykenathan162(m): 10:38am On Sep 08, 2016
villareal15:

Well said!! Op. Always on point smiley

what u are saying is just one out of the different types of love we have. I believe I'm real love.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by TheRealestGuy(m): 10:40am On Sep 08, 2016
iykenathan162:

thanx bro, I love yr level of reasoning and presentation of points
Thanks bro.

Someone needs to put things in proper perspective to avoid being misled by ill informed and erroneous thinking folks like the OP.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by iykenathan162(m): 10:40am On Sep 08, 2016
nma24:
But the menfolk can love unconditionally? Was there a reason to your loving these girls or you never loved them

@slim u are talking about an aspect of love. A boy friend and girl friend love.
Have thought about the live yr mum have for u
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Toks2008(m): 10:50am On Sep 08, 2016
TheRealestGuy:
Please answer these two questions below.

Are you saying that agape love cannot exist in the family unit?

If you know that agape love can and does exist within the family unit, why do you not accept that the same agape love can be extended to people other than those in one's family unit (gf or wife inclusive)?

I have you the definition of real love and you say it is theoretical?

Anyway, my kind of love (even for my gf) is the agape type and not because of what I can gain or benefit from the relationship, after all no matter what it is she has to offer, there are a thousand and one girls out there who have same and even better. It's the fact that she has come to be more than just a gf, she's like family to me.

You still see love from a parochial and selfish point of view and it's your undoing.

By the way, those attributes of love as outlined in the holy bible are not theoretical but things we should endeavour to put into practise in our daily lives so as to become better humans and better "lovers" in the real sense of the word.

Don't you dare say they are not achievable or feasible or practical cos you are unwilling practise true and real love but prefer to continue to see love from a very stunted and selfish point of view.

If you don't change this mentality of yours you may find yourself forever unfulfilled in your relationships in life.

Why write up is focused on romantic love and not within family unit so I prefer to stick with that.

Even in the family unit love is mostly selfish and self centered but that is a topic for another day.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by TheRealestGuy(m): 11:06am On Sep 08, 2016
Toks2008:

Why write up is focused on romantic love and not within family unit so I prefer to stick with that.

Even in the family unit love is mostly selfish and self centered but that is a topic for another day.
That means I've been wasting time with you cos all I've been trying to make you understand is that if you're talking about true and real love, then it is one and the same whether in the family unit or between a man and woman.

You need to be more open minded and admit being wrong at times, this is the only way to reconfigure our brains to learn new things and discard long held notions which may be very erroneous and even injurious to one's mental, emotional and physical well being.

No need trying to convince you any further, you're probably beyond help at this point.

Last Bullet: Please make sure you begin to practise and live by the true definition of love as outlined in the holy bible cos that is the only way to achieve a fulfilled love life.

Ciao bro...
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by supernet4(f): 11:10am On Sep 08, 2016
tosyne2much:
Na wife I find come this thread ooooo cool
. D last time I check u talk say u Don get bride say u don pick date sef,
Abi no be so?
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Johnsown1(m): 11:15am On Sep 08, 2016
I don't believe that the four letters word *LOVE* exist,cos majority( if not all) ladies are after ur wealth and ur intelligency. Some crazy thought of theirs is whenever a guy ask them out,they gullible and concocious mind will flew to sex. That is so annoying for them ro think that all guys are sex menaic,
sometimes there are not love in the families,
apart from the love of christ to us,i strongly believe that LOVE do not exist.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by Toks2008(m): 11:24am On Sep 08, 2016
TheRealestGuy:
That means I've been wasting time with you cos all I've been trying to make you understand is that if you're talking about true and real love, then it is one and the same whether in the family unit or between a man and woman.

You need to be more open minded and admit being wrong at times, this is the only way to reconfigure our brains to learn new things and discard long held notions which may be very erroneous and even injurious to one's mental, emotional and physical well being.

No need trying to convince you any further, you're probably beyond help at this point.

Last Bullet: Please make sure you begin to practise and live by the true definition of love as outlined in the holy bible cos that is the only way to achieve a fulfilled love life.

Ciao bro...

OK sir, I definitely will. Thanks.
Re: Do you Believe In Love? by TheRealestGuy(m): 11:44am On Sep 08, 2016
Toks2008:

OK sir, I definitely will. Thanks.
Pls do sir.

I promise you, it's going to change your life and the way you view love forever.

Do have a pleasant rest of the day.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

What "Table" Means To Men. / Should I Breakup With My Girlfriend Due To Old Flames? / Funny Be Like Bro Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.