Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,906 members, 7,876,445 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 05:20 PM

We Don’t Need A Prophet To Tell Us That Nigeria Would Disintegrate – Onaiyekan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Don’t Need A Prophet To Tell Us That Nigeria Would Disintegrate – Onaiyekan (819 Views)

Nigeria’ll Disintegrate If Uwazuruike Is Arrested – MASSOB / Prophet To Fashola: Re-open Yaba Railway Market Or Lose Your Children / MEND Threatens To Disintegrate Nigeria Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Don’t Need A Prophet To Tell Us That Nigeria Would Disintegrate – Onaiyekan by AloyEmeka6: 8:01pm On Oct 06, 2009
We don’t need a prophet to tell us that Nigeria would disintegrate – Onaiyekan
By AIDOGHIE PAULINUS

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Vanguard Cartoon
President of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and the Metropolitan Catholic Archbishop of Abuja, His Grace, Most Revd Dr John Olorunfemi Onaiyekan, has said that Nigerians don’t need a prophet to tell them that the country would disintegrate.

Most Revd Onaiyekan

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/6/507.html

In an interview with Daily Sun, Archbishop Onaiyekan, who likened himself to some old prophets, gave some warning signals and spoke on other issues such as President Umaru Yar’Adua’s 29 months in office, general assessment of the polity, the state of infrastructure, including amnesty, war on corruption as well as electoral reform.

Excerpts:

Your Grace, different prophets have prophesied that Nigeria would disintegrate. Do you share this view or do you believe Nigeria would continue to remain united?

If by prophets you mean those who claim to see the future, I am not a prophet. But there are certain things, which I would call cause and effect, which if you do them, there would be consequences and in that sense, there is no question of prophecy. It is simply a matter of correct analysis of the situation and a correct plotting of where the curve is going. Not only Nigeria.

Any nation that does not care about good governance, builds itself on lies, does not care about the less privileged within its midst, the leaders are only interested in their own selfish interest and convenience and close their eyes completely to the poor, the sick, the aged and the youths and basic amenities are not their top priority, where roads are untended, factories are allowed to die, schools stay closed for months and nobody is worried, such a nation cannot say that they are building themselves into anything great. Such a nation is killing itself. So you don’t need a prophet to tell you that.

I would say that what we need to tell our people is that the part we are following is dangerous. We are dancing on the brink of chaos and disaster. It is within our control. We can still change. We can still change the rules of our games. We can decide to have free and fair elections. We can decide that those who work in government would get a good pay. That we would do the right thing so that the resources of the country can be properly distributed. All these are within our control. We are not under the threat of any foreign invasion. So if Nigeria disintegrates, it would be fully out of our own thought. It is not anything about prophecy. It would simply be self-destruction.

I, therefore, as a bishop and as someone who should tell the truth, I see my role in the light of the old prophets, to warn. Behave well, do the right thing, take care of the orphans, widows and the poor. Do not steal from the poor people because every money you steal from the government, you are stealing from the poor. Don’t pervert justice. Pass judgement according to the truth. Do not condemn the innocent man and above all, don’t acquit the guilty person because he has money and power. If you do this, then we have a great future because it is my strong conviction that God has blessed our nation and God intends and destines our nation to greatness. It is in our hands whether we shall achieve that greatness or not.

At 49, what is your simple assessment of our nation, Nigeria?

First, we thank God that we are still together and we have not disintegrated. And this is also because God has been over generous with us and not because we have really tried so hard. My further assessment is that we could have been better than we are now if we have handled ourselves with much sincerity and more seriousness. The result is that where we are is not where we should have been. But further assessment is that all is not lost. The future is still before us, especially as we move towards the year 50. My prayer is that, it would be an opportunity for us to do self-examination and the necessary readjustment that we need to do in order that we can start to move our country in the right direction.

Since President Umaru Yar’Adua became president in 2007, people have been complaining that nothing is going on. Do you agree?

Something is going on. The question is, what is going on? People are sitting in their offices, some of them even told me that some ministers and permanent secretaries are working in their offices until 11pm. They must be doing something. And many people have accumulated billions, stealing our money. So those things are going on. What is not going on is that there is not much progress in power supply. The nation is still where it was.

The issue of unemployment is even worse. Not only that, factories are not being built and the old ones that were flourishing have closed down. The roads, some are put in order and some are not. In other words, as far as the social welfare of the people is concerned, very little is going on. Obviously, the president is the first person in the country, so he has the first responsibility for it.

Amnesty is being granted to the Niger Delta militants. What is your opinion and what do you feel about it?

I believe that when there is conflict and people have grievances, their grievances must be looked into. And if you want reconciliation and peace, one must make room for admission of guilt and forgiveness, mutually offered and accepted. The amnesty in itself is a good thing and I believe it should be extended to all, everybody, if possible.

I would like to see that kind of amnesty working also in all our prisons, with all those young men who are there, some of whom are innocent and languishing in jail for years. They should be released on amnesty. If all you need to grant anybody amnesty is a declaration that “I am sorry, I won’t do it again,” then we should continue. Go to the prisons and anybody who has decided that he will not do it again we shall release the person.

As far as the Niger Delta crisis is concerned, I am not too much informed about the extent of the activities of the militants, and whether those the government is negotiating with, represent all the interests down there. So my major concern is whether this amnesty is honest, whether it is reaching everybody concerned, or whether it is giving money to few boys while others go back to extort more from people. By their fruits, we shall know them. We would watch and see how this goes.

The concept of amnesty will be very important for Nigeria. It is not only the Niger Delta militants that have caused havoc to this country. In fact, I think the executive thieves and robbers have caused far more damage to our economy than the Niger Delta militants. If they repent, I think Nigeria will be ready to grant them amnesty. And just like they asked the Niger Delta militants to hand in their guns in exchange for amnesty, all those thieves and rogues should bring back our money and we would forgive them. If we are ready to go that far, then I will really say that we are dealing with amnesty.

What is your take on the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Sanusi Aminu Lamido Sanusi’s advice that President Umaru Yar’Adua should cut down his seven-point agenda to two?

I am on record that we don’t even need seven-point agenda or two-point agenda. I am on record to say that the only agenda we need is one, which is good governance. So from that point of view, I agree with the CBN governor. There is no point saying that we have seven-point agenda when we cannot see progress on anyone of them.

Are you optimistic that President Yar’Adua’s electoral reform would lead to a hitch-free electoral process in the near future?

It is not Yar’Adua’s electoral reform. This should be the electoral reform of the Nigerian people and I think this should be stressed. It is not so much about what Yar’Adua and his ministers want. It should be what Nigerians want. And from what I have been seeing around us, Nigerians by and large, are quite happy with the Uwais Commission. And we expect that the president, the ministers, all of them in the executive council, should read very accurately, the mood of the nation and follow it.

Since the advent of President Yar’Adua’s administration, would you say the war on corruption is still going on or dead?

Well, as far as the war on corruption is concerned, we have been hearing the talk about it. But again, by their fruits, we shall know them. What we are hearing is that instances of high level of corruption have not reduced. Indeed, may have escalated. And when that is happening, then it means that we are only talking. And if we are only talking, you don’t win a war only by talking. If we really consider it a war against corruption it means we should be ready to be ruthless. That is what war is all about. And deal ruthlessly with all those who are corrupt, starting from the top. The problem is: those who are shouting loudest against corruption are often among the most corrupt people.

And with that situation, no progress can be achieved. We have really no choice about fighting corruption because for as long as we allow corruption to continue the way it is going, the country cannot move forward. So, what I was saying earlier about changing our own attitudes is specifically in reference to corruption. If we want our country to move forward, so that we can begin to sit on the table with the high people in this world, the famous, and Nigeria being among the greatest economy in the year 2020, we must tackle corruption. If we don’t, even the year 3000, we will not be anywhere.
Re: We Don’t Need A Prophet To Tell Us That Nigeria Would Disintegrate – Onaiyekan by yeswecan(m): 8:29pm On Oct 06, 2009
Nice old talk, nothing new
Re: We Don’t Need A Prophet To Tell Us That Nigeria Would Disintegrate – Onaiyekan by AloyEmeka3: 2:10am On Oct 07, 2009
So you agree with him?
Re: We Don’t Need A Prophet To Tell Us That Nigeria Would Disintegrate – Onaiyekan by Ikengawo: 5:10am On Oct 07, 2009
from the structure of his face and hat you can tell he has sex with young boys.
Re: We Don’t Need A Prophet To Tell Us That Nigeria Would Disintegrate – Onaiyekan by Nobody: 6:37am On Oct 07, 2009
The man only said what's on the mind of many Nigerians and he even said he's not a prophet but only stating the facts.

@ Ikenagwo

That was rather uncalled for. I'm not the type that want Nigeria to break up cause I have friends from all over the nation infact 99.9% of all my friends are from East and Southern part of Nigeria. But look at the situation of the nation and tell me you don't see signs of disintegration. I agree with the man even though I have deep seated hate for his kind of a type religion. But Like Akande Adebayo said, don't hate the idea because you hate the man, hate the man because you hate the idea.
Re: We Don’t Need A Prophet To Tell Us That Nigeria Would Disintegrate – Onaiyekan by chosen04(f): 11:09am On Oct 07, 2009
So what are we still waiting for? Lets peacefully divide the country since we are all convienced that it will disintegrate in the nearest future. Whats the essence of forcing ourselves into a "union" that is built on lies, hated, margnalistion, medicrocy, tribalism etc by the white men.

Ikengawo:

from the structure of his face and hat you can tell he has sex with young boys.

Why insult a man who confirmed what is known to everybody?. Ikengawo, Pls if u dont have any useful opinion to express its better to close ur mouth.

(1) (Reply)

Cameroonian Soldiers Kill 6 Nigerians In Bakassi / Vanguard Editorial On Bode George - 'yellow-brown Envelope' Journalism? / Gbosa:china’s Foreign Reserves Hit $2,399bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.